Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

Lowest score in a four man scramble?

JustinY

We played in a 4 man scramble tournament for a local high school this weekend, and why I know there is "some questionable scoring" that takes place, the winning team claims to have shot a 40 as their score. I mean, why would I sign up for another one of these if they allow this impossible score? 

Just curious - has anyone played in a tournament with a score that low? (we shot a 60 and why we didn't think we would win - we also didn't think we would be 20 strokes behind)

***Was a par 72 and 6500 yards. The only gimmick was you could buy 1 extra put per hole and 1 - 3 foot string closer used to get closer to the hole (to be used once - which we did to make an eagle on a par 5). We called the team out - only 1 guy went up to face the music. 

Edited by JustinY

10 minutes ago, JustinY said:

We played in a 4 man scramble tournament for a local high school this weekend, and why I know there is "some questionable scoring" that takes place, the winning team claims to have shot a 40 as their score. I mean, why would I sign up for another one of these if they allow this impossible score? 

Just curious - has anyone played in a tournament with a score that low? (we shot a 60 and why we didn't think we would win - we also didn't think we would be 20 strokes behind)

I have seen a lot of those scores posted on Reddit and other socials as of late, foursome shooting on the 40s, honestly it seems to me that nowadays it almost became a norm where the winning groups are the ones who have the best pencil work and have the guts to claim that score and be unfazed.

That being said, I have given up on signing up to 4 man scrambles as it seems that more and more are just going to be people with their pencils out.

I am waiting to see the day someone posts that they shot an 18 for 18.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

There's another thread around with lots of impossible scores, due to all the crap games they throw in.    But lowest legit I've seen without all the gimmicks.  is usually around 55. 

So we're playing in one tomorrow,  I somehow managed to land on a team with the following 3 players,   The course we are playing is moderately difficult, but a great track probably around 6400 I'm guessing since it's a charity scramble.  Ill be interested to see what we score.  Anything over a legit 60 will be disappointing.   And probably get fleeced by 6 shots 😉

• +3 that played college D1 Golf and has possibly the best swing I've seen from a non tour pro
  •  +1 that carries it about 280 to 290
  •  2 index that is good friends with the above, and carries it close to the same

Then there's me who's main responsibility will probably be keeping the beer cart from passing the 2nd guy by...LOL

I do so loath some 4 man scrambles....  Not so much for the majority, but there is always NO DOUBT going to be a hand full of pencil whippers that always tend to come in at the lowest possible score ever.  Just played in one where 4 guys that legit couldn't be younger than 65 shot a 22 under par round.  Funny, enough, they played right in front of my group.  They MAY have gotten to 10.... But 22... 

I tend to play in them sometimes, but it's always a "we're going to go out there and have fun, drink some beers, and NOT try to win this thing cause it's just simply not going to happen.  Legit low round for my 4 man was 19 under.  

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5 - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber Project X LZ - 6.0 Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3 :taylormade-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

I played with a group of buddies this year in the annual Athletic Club Golf Outing and we shot a 57. One of my buddies has a very fast swing speed and can crush it off the tee. He played D2 baseball and was getting pro looks in college. He had one of those days where every single drive was mashed and was straight and put us in position on every driver hole to get on in regulation with little effort or we were on from his tee shot. Combined with everyone else hitting at least one good shot on each hole, we just had a day where it worked out well. The winning score was a 50, and that team had three former collegiate golfers on it, all kids I knew from my high school coaching days. A 40 is absurd and you almost have to assume some cheating there unless there were tons of gimmicks offered and you could buy as many as you want.

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

Last summer, the stars aligned and I was on a team that shot a legitimate -16 56. We had a long bomber that was consistently 300+ yards on the 4’s & 5’s and a putter that didn’t miss anything inside of 30’ that day. Me and the fourth were hitting irons and wedges competently and everything just fell into place. 

We tied for low round and lost out to some arcane scorecard tiebreaker for a second place finish. 

All that being said, the golf we played that day just to finish that low was spectacular. A group finishing in the 40’s is utter and complete nonsense. Without creative accounting and a host of other scramble opportunities i.e. mulligans, throws, buy an ace, etc., I don’t think it is possible to do it legitimately.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Assuming a Par 72, and no buying of shots, somewhere around 55-60 usually wins . Would call BS on 40…. a sub 50 would raise some eyebrows. You sure that wasn’t their stableford score and they actually came last

Think about it, that’s the equivalent of 4 birdies and 14 eagles…. Not likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver – Cobra LTDx

Fairway Wood – Cobra F9

Hybrid – Taylormade Burner Rescue

Irons - Mizuno MP20 (4-PW)

Wedges – Cleveland and Mizuno

Putter – Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

This is nothing new.  I have not played in a 4 man scramble for money since 2008.  At the time we had 4 golfers including myself that were all well into the + handicaps.  Every year the four golf clubs in our city sent the top 6 players in their club championships to compete in a 3 day event.  So the top 24 in our city competed and the lowest individual and team scores were awarded.

This was our 4some.  The top guy was the 3 time in a row and current city champion.  He shot a final round 62 in the 3 day event for a 3 day total of 196.  The other was a ranked college player that finished 2nd in the city tournament.  I finished 9th in the tournament and consistently hit the ball 20 to 30 yards longer than any of them and our 4th was the 5 time reigning senior city champion. We came into the club house with a -24 under and we were TIED for 7th with 6 other teams!  31 under won it. I still to this day do not believe that there were that many teams in our area that could beat the four of us like that or that many to even equal us.  

Par was 72 on a VERY tight course that was right at 6,500 yards, hilly with several blind shots.

I've played in charity events to raise money, but will NEVER play in one that has large cash payouts.  No one to watch the teams that cannot resist temptation.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9⁰ w/Mitsubishi AV Blue Limited 65x

3 wood:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Titanium w/Aldila RIPX 75TX

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: TSi2 21⁰ Hybrid w/Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X

Irons:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex CB '24 4-PW w/DG 120 X100 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Tour Rack Raw 50, 56 and 60 w/Dynamic Gold S400.

Putter:  image.png.f982a1cda34892094275907ab80330c5.png Frontline Elite Elevado Custom Face Balanced Single Bend

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

https://www.daltongcc.org/

Best scramble score that I have ever been part of (no mulligans, “string”, or other goofy add-ones, as this was the Olds Scramble national event) was a 58 on a par 71 course. Our team consisted of a 2, an 8 (me), an 11 and a 16 handicap golfer, and we won the gross division (Olds Scramble also had a net division, where teams received approximately 1/4 of the team’s “adjusted team handicap”, but we elected to play in the gross division because we knew that there would be some artificially inflated team handicaps in the net division). We won this “local” event, which qualified us for the Regional Qualifier to play in the National Championship.

In the Regional, you play as a 5-person team with the Head Professional at the course where you won the “local” event. In this Regional, we shot a 54 and tied for first place, where we lost in a chip-off.  The team that beat us in the chip-off had a substitute player who had not played on this team when they won their “local” at a golf course that is located right behind my house. This guy was listed as a 10 or 11 handicap, when I knew that he was actually close to a scratch golfer (even teams playing in the gross division had to submit player handicaps because the Olds Scramble had a rule regarding minimum combined team handicaps).  This pi$$ed-off my entire team but we decided not to protest their win and appear to be sore losers. We were just glad that they didn’t finish in the money in the national finals.

P.S. — in the Regional event, we eagled 3 of the 4 par-5 holes, including one where I hit my approach shot to within 3 feet by using my driver off the deck.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Other than charity events, where I am playing only because the proceeds go to a good cause (e.g. — Folds of Honor, Wounded Warrior Project, etc), I do not play in any scrambles, and have not done so in at least 10 years.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, BNewton51 said:

I do so loath some 4 man scrambles....  Not so much for the majority, but there is always NO DOUBT going to be a hand full of pencil whippers that always tend to come in at the lowest possible score ever.  Just played in one where 4 guys that legit couldn't be younger than 65 shot a 22 under par round.  Funny, enough, they played right in front of my group.  They MAY have gotten to 10.... But 22... 

I tend to play in them sometimes, but it's always a "we're going to go out there and have fun, drink some beers, and NOT try to win this thing cause it's just simply not going to happen.  Legit low round for my 4 man was 19 under.  

I just saw this one on Instagram

image.png.9d131b1389c18031705fbdb26b739b6a.png

My Reviews:

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

2 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

Yeah, this one is to support a local university's volleyball team, you know they don't generate much revenue like the football and basketball teams do, so anything to help them out a bit.  They have won 2 conference championships in a row.   And cool prize for the 1st place team, they get the same Championship Rings that the girls will get this fall.    So I'm sure the erases will be in fine shape.  It'd be nice if they had one of the girls following each group to keep the actual score.    

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

26 minutes ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

LO....yeah saw that one earlier as well.   just blatant. And the thing is it's 9 strokes better than the next best, so it's not like they could have had too many of those gimmick holes. 

I am with @funkyjudge, no scrambles except charity.  
Winning is too important for some out there, NOT to cheat.  I don’t get it.  
I played in a 4 man scramble event about 15 years back which had a cash payout of $2000/1500/1000 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. It cost $1000/ team to play.  The rest went to a school system athletic fund for uniforms and equipment.  There were over 30 teams so we had a long day.   I was the high handicap in our group and was in the low 4s at the time.  Our group’s total handicap was 10.  We shot a legit 59 on a tough par 72 Pete Dye layout playing almost 7000.  No junk like mulligans, strings, throws etc, no handicaps, just  pure golf.  
The course  was crowded enough that we had a 5.5 hour round and could watch the groups in front and behind.  Neither shot anywhere close to our 59.  We birdied 13 holes missing on the par 3s and one long par 4 as I recall.   We didn’t make any of our eagle opportunities.  We were out of the money.  Had we eagled the par 5s, we would have had 55 and would have felt pretty good about it. 52 was the low round we saw when we posted our score and knew that was certainly possible since we could have gone that low had we birdied everything and made an eagle or 2.  
We watched the groups in front and back of us miss par putts on a couple holes.  The group in front of us turned in a score in mid 60s. The guys behind us turned in 49.  That meant 5 eagles and 13 birdies.  We knew that was bogus as we saw them bogey at least 2 holes.  They might have had 64.  One of my playing partners nearly got in a fist fight with theguy in the “49” team  that turned in the card when he called BS on their score.  The “49” team was the last to turn in their card.  I think they got in, waited to see what was posted and then filled their card and turned it in.  This experience  motivated me to reduce my scramble tournaments from around 6 a year to 2 that I know are legit charities.  I don’t play any that payout cash anymore.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

This topic seems to come up once a season.  You have to know going into a scramble that there is a huge potential for fudging. Your entry fee is for charity as are all the other things that you purchase.  Just look at it that way.  You can't win with this one.  I would agree that if no one is cheating and there are no gimmicks (mulligans, string, etc) that the winning score is normally between 55 and 60.  

I've also mentioned it before, but I used to play in a big money scramble at my club in Indiana.  I can't recall the exact parameters now but it was a 5 man scramble and there was a handicap limit for each team - something like 60 total handicap minimum (handicaps weren't used beyond that).  Pros could play but if you had a pro on your team you could not have a single digit handicapper.  All males played the tips, if a woman were a professional she played the white/men's tees and you could have an Am woman on your team playing from the red/ladies tee (you always wanted one.)  There was a marker on every green roving rangers to make sure no cheating was taking place.  It was a two day tournament so your team could pick the best score or a player could be on two different teams.  17 under usually won, occasionally it was 18 or 16 but almost always 17.  You needed 15 to cash - we did that once in the 7 years that I played in it - mainly because we got the high school girls basketball coach to play on our team.  She was a 23 but a great athlete who could hit the ball 220 or so - it was a huge advantage on the par 5's.  

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

50 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

LO....yeah saw that one earlier as well.   just blatant. And the thing is it's 9 strokes better than the next best, so it's not like they could have had too many of those gimmick holes. 

That score card would make me thing that every par 4 is set up to be reachable from the tee

My Reviews:

4 hours ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

That score card would make me thing that every par 4 is set up to be reachable from the tee

That and or the outing is selling A LOT of string and hand throws.  

57 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

That and or the outing is selling A LOT of string and hand throws.  

Ooh i

love the hand throw!!! 

My favorite though is the opposite - the call back. There’s nothing like a good call back after a guy hit a great shot. 🙂

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

I only play in the charity scrambles, maybe 3 a year and have no expectations of beating the pencil whippers.  We were -16 in one earlier this year and tied for 7th.  Sadly we were not surprised.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Ooh i

love the hand throw!!! 

My favorite though is the opposite - the call back. There’s nothing like a good call back after a guy hit a great shot. 🙂

Have any golfers recently come in to ask God for forgiveness? 😂

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x (MGS Tester ‘24) / GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

3 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

Have any golfers recently come in to ask God for forgiveness? 😂

Other than me personally kneeling before the altar?

Not a chance. 🙂

15 hours ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I bet that 41 had a couple sharp pencils in their bag RIGHT before they went to the course!  SMH  And funny enough, if you looked at the guys in that group they probably look like they couldn't break 100 on their own ball!  Living proof why playing in a 4 man is ONLY done for fun and or to support a good cause.  Otherwise, the odds are NOT in your favor.  Well, unless you have a very sharp pencil on your own team of Enron Executives.  🤣

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5 - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber Project X LZ - 6.0 Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3 :taylormade-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Well, interesting subject. I never have an expectation of winning a scramble for the reasons stated. Best a team I was a part of scored was 14 under and that was straight up, no string or extra putts. We each bought one mulligan though. For me it’s more about playing as a team and the enjoyment of contributing to the end result. 

Titleist TSi-2 Driver

Callaway Rogue 3 wood

Taylormade M4 5 wood

Callaway Maverik 3 hybrid

PXG Gen3 5-PW

Vokey SM9 50-54-58 degree wedges

Scotty Cameron Laguna Select putter

Titleist Pro V1

Ok I think I have an understanding how this can happen. 

We played in a charity scramble today, we shot an “honest” 49 and finished 3rd 😱

Here’s the deal.  Each player could buy a Suoer Package.  That in addition to raffle tickets it included the following ler player. 
2 Mulligans 

1-throw that doesn’t count as a shot 

1 -Cut the Flag. Meaning move your ball closer to the hole by the length of the flag.  So you can turn an 8 footer into a 1 or 2 footer. 

so X those by 4 of each player buys a Suoer package $75

But here’s where it gets crazy there were about 5 or 6 on course games where you could either deduct a stroke from your score or move ahead by 100 yards or so off the tee without taking a shot.  Agsin each player could take these strokes. 

For example on a cornhole hole.  You paid $30 for two bags. You got to deduct a stroke of it stayed on the board.  2 if it went in.   We only had 2 of us play that one but got to deduct 4 strokes from our natural birdie 3.  So a -1  🤦🤦

so you get the idea.   If all 4 guys are ponying up $30 for each contest, your saving massive strokes.  

And to make it easier they took Venmo and had QR codes for payment.   How nice!!    

iin talking to the tournament planner afterwards. They had over $8,000 in the Venmo account from today alone.   So it was hugely successful in that regard 

Oh and get this. Pace of play 112 players and we finished in 4:20 minutes in a scramble.  That’s unheard of around here 

One more “fun” thing.  It was a fundraiser for University Women’s Volleyball team.  So all the players weee out running the games.  Tough to say no to them 😊 
so we could have easily “bought” another 5 strokes and finished first.  But we had fun.  Regardless of the goofy games and the outrageous scoring.  I felt it was one of the best scrambles I’ve played in.    

So the 41 while not legit at all, I now see how it can happen  

11 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

We played in a charity scramble today, we shot an “honest” 49 and finished 3rd 😱

Here’s the deal.  Each player could buy a Suoer Package.  That in addition to raffle tickets it included the following ler player. 
2 Mulligans 

1 -Cut the Flag. Meaning move your ball closer to the hole by the length of the flag.  So you can turn an 8 footer into a 1 or 2 footer. 

But here’s where it gets crazy there were about 5 or 6 on course games where you could either deduct a stroke from your score or move ahead by 100 yards or so off the tee without taking a shot.  Agsin each player could take these strokes. 

For example on a cornhole hole.  You paid $30 for two bags. You got to deduct a stroke of it stayed on the board.  2 if it went in.   We only had 2 of us play that one but got to deduct 4 strokes from our natural birdie 3.  So a -1  🤦🤦

so you get the idea.   If all 4 guys are ponying up $30 for each contest, your saving massive strokes.  

And to make it easier they took Venmo and had QR codes for payment.   How nice!!    

iin talking to the tournament planner afterwards. They had over $8,000 in the Venmo account from today alone.   So it was hugely successful in that regard 

Oh and get this. Pace of play 112 players and we finished in 4:20 minutes in a scramble.  That’s unheard of around here 

One more “fun” thing.  It was a fundraiser for University Women’s Volleyball team.  So all the players weee out running the games.  Tough to say no to them 😊 
so we could have easily “bought” another 5 strokes and finished first.  But we had fun.  Regardless of the goofy games and the outrageous scoring.  I felt it was one of the best scrambles I’ve played in.    

.... and that is one of the reasons that I hate scrambles!  I'd much rather just give the money to the charity than have all of those goofy gimmicks and games that slow the pace of play even more than the scramble does.

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

.... and that is one of the reasons that I hate scrambles!  I'd much rather just give the money to the charity than have all of those goofy gimmicks and games that slow the pace of play even more than the scramble does.

90% of the time I'd agree with you and to be honest, I was kind of dreading it when I heard about all the games.   But the pace was the best pace of any scramble I've ever played in,  4:15 minutes, and we were in the middle of the pack, not like we were the lead group, and we had a group in front of us that while we only waited on them on the last two holes, they had the highest score of any group 90--as they strictly obeyed the bogey max rule.  We even saw them not even go to the putting green on some holes 🙂

But the games were run by the girls on the team and they were all very engaging and fun.  And most importantly very sincere in thanking everyone for coming out and supporting the team.   So it really was a great day all the way around.

That said, I really would have liked to seen what the scores were with real golf.  As our team was stacked.   Two guys I work with, one is a +1 and the other is 2 handicap and the both get it out to 290-310 territory, and a rep from one of the OEM's who isn't as long as them, only about 270 but he doesn't know what it's like to hit from the rough or what it's like to miss a green, he plays to about a +2 and was D1 golfer.   Then there was me, who made sure the beer cart didn't pass us buy....and truthfully made 3 of our birdie putts from around 10 feet. 

12 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

2 Mulligans 

This makes sense when getting such low score, as the packages allow for it.

And that is one thing we do not get when those score cards are posted.

When we see a lot of the super-low scores, we all assume that was straight play, no mulligans or anything else taken in consideration.

My Reviews: