Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Air Gun Installed Grip Twist

I asked a couple of spies this question on an IM but thought I'd throw it out to the forum as well.  I have employed the compressed air grip install method for a few years now and absolutely love how easy and unmessy it is. I use one wrap of blue painters tape, and a smidge of GW's HFE grip solvent.  Never had an issue with the installs or grips in play.  The other day I noticed that my GP Align midsize grip, on my driver, has rotated ccw a bit.  It was installed about 2 months ago.  No issue with any of the other fw's or irons having the same grip.

About 4 months ago, I have moved to a much stronger grip position. I wonder if the torque associated with driver hits and/or the Align's raised ridge feature are cause?  The other possibility could be a looser interfernce fit of the KBS shaft and the grip?  I plan to remove it and re-position to see if it happens again.

Anyone else use compressed air grip installs and experienced twist/rotation issues?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Anyone else use compressed air grip installs and experienced twist/rotation issues?

I have experienced the same issues.

1. Assuming you don’t have a mismatch between grip core and shaft butt diameter, painters tape actually decreases force of friction because it’s not even close to as smooth a surface as exposed shaft. So I’d suggest you start there first.

2. If you are dealing with mismatched diameters, I have found heat shrink wrap is a better option to build up the butt, but it comes with a procedural caveat. Specifically, you need to let the shrink wrap cool completely and finish both ends with electrical tape before installing your grip. Otherwise you may blow air bubbles under the shrink wrap. The electrical tape also helps to ensure the shrink wrap doesn’t spin over time.

I set up my putters at a shade over 31 inches and often have to build up the shaft with one or two layers of shrink wrap on the lower end to prevent grip play. I’m sure there are options other than shrink wrap to build up layers but a very smooth surface is the key to higher force of friction. How easily your fingertip passes over a steel shaft -vs- painters tape, demonstrates how vastly different the force of friction potential. It’s not quite as easy to install with air on a smoother surface but that’s the whole point when you’re dealing with unwanted grip twisting and it’s not a big deal once you get the hang of it.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

On 9/7/2023 at 5:13 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I have employed the compressed air grip install method for a few years now and absolutely love how easy and unmessy it is. I use one wrap of blue painters tape, and a smidge of GW's HFE grip solvent.  Never had an issue with the installs or grips in play. 

You have been using the method for years without issue so, lets exam the possible variables this time.

- have you purchased the grip from the same source like before ( the vender might change their source )?

- Have you use the same type of grip as before?

- the multi material structure is easier to lose its position after install, if not seating the end cap all the way in.  More difficult with some makes than the rest.

- Whether the hands are on the grip correctly, some golfer will have the twisting move while going after a golf ball( their hands will twist to opposite position instead of working together ).

-Some painter's tape will have a glossy surface ( no texture) which will assist the installing but will also  have less friction to hold on to the grip .  If you use painter's tape there should be no need for solvent except for wetting the lips of the grip to slip it onto the shaft.

Make sure the end cap is fully seated.  The grip and the shaft are similar size.  Change the tape if necessary ( or use no tape with some of the grips ).

One last thought is, whether the grip is authentic OEM product, not a counterfeit or rejects of the OEM.

I had a guy brought me his own grips for installing ( he purchased online ), and those are junks ( same type of grip as yours but in regular size), twisting after a few rounds of play.  He brought them back and I reseated the grips with air for him, same result in a few weeks.  I finally put the double sided grip tapes on the clubs just to see what will happen, same result.  So it was the grip.  Probably some counterfeit grips using materials not meeting the specification of the OEM.

Edited by release

Update on my driver grip issue.  I air-removed the grip, re-aligned it, and installed w/o any HFE solvent or re-tape.  After 4 rounds, it is holding position.  I'm wondering if I used too much solvent during the initial install.  I see a few DIYer's here suggest uisng little or none at all.  I need to re-grip my 3w & 5w and will try not using any solvent.

On 9/16/2023 at 7:21 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Update on my driver grip issue.  I air-removed the grip, re-aligned it, and installed w/o any HFE solvent or re-tape.  After 4 rounds, it is holding position.  I'm wondering if I used too much solvent during the initial install.  I see a few DIYer's here suggest uisng little or none at all.  I need to re-grip my 3w & 5w and will try not using any solvent.

I’m new to the air regripping method having just dine my SW and driver within the last few weeks as an experiment to see if I like a different grip. I read that using just a small amount of solvent on the tip of the grip to help get it on was all that is needed. This worked for me to install the two grips that I did and no issues with rotating after 4-5 rounds. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I use gaffers tape and that seems to keep it on pretty secure. I have trouble with the grip twisting during the install. 

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

On 9/16/2023 at 5:21 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Some solvent will have additives, to prevent combustion or to meet safety code.  The solvent you used might not dry up completely.  You can blow air through the grip a few times after installation, either needed to adjust the grip position or to blow out the excess solvent.  Blow out a few times and reseat the grip  if you use a lot of solvent without the grip tape.

Squeeze down the grip to eliminate possible small pocket of air bubbles trapped inside the grip, make sure the grip is tightly adhere to the shaft.

Beware of counterfeit grips,  these grips used inferior compound material, twist easily and will wear out faster.  I had encountered a few times of these counterfeit grips when people brought in their own grips for me to install.  They will twist, even after using the grip tape and solvent method. 

• 1 month later...

Well, I thought I had fixed the issue with the remove and replace but I just noticed a little twist today on the driver.  I think I'll remove it, add another layer of blue painter tape, hopefully increasing the interference fit, and see if that helps.  My only other thought was to find a tape that has a rougher texture but thus far I've not found anything.  It must just be the increased torque/torsion of the long stick as all other grips are fine.  I can see where air installed grips might not work for players with really high swing speeds and strong grip position.

Using an air compressor to install is convenient, but, if the pressure is too great, it will damage the soft or more sensitive material-based grips.  I have experienced, unintentionally, damage to one PXG grip when air pressure was too great. Also, using painter tape, has much less "grip" or traction with some grip materials, thus, shifting the grip. The GW grip solvent is not going to create additional grip or traction on painter's tapes. In fact, if you store the clubs with painter's tape in a heated trunk, it will lose grip power and traction. I've tried a lot of different tape, but, eventually, I have gone back to the tacky grip tape, old school, to guarantee a solid grip gripping the shaft.

4 hours ago, tiger168 said:

Using an air compressor to install is convenient, but, if the pressure is too great, it will damage the soft or more sensitive material-based grips.  

It is why we use a nosel with pressure trigger which able to moderate the pressure.  Also using a sleeve over the grip to install and remove grips.

Always be careful when the grip could not expand uniformly.  The ones with a rubber underlisting, or a two parts construction will need extra attention since the parts will expand differently.   Use a little solvent if needed to help lubricate the parts when sliding on with air.  Very helpful when fitting a smaller grip on.  

There ar different types of painter's tape the original blue tape works well when the grip I.D. fits snuggly to the shaft's O.D.  Of course, if the butt of the shaft is trimmed off the O.D. will get progressively smaller from the taper.

No bbig deal to figure it out, hands on.  It is not sending a rocket to the moon and back.

13 hours ago, Wingman said:

Buy sports tape. I use a tape from J&J called Zonas. It is hard to find the two inch tape but another manufacturer will have it. It works great. No twisting. 

Good idea, I'll try and find some.  Thanks

I use this method to put on my grips.  I used standard beige masking tape and no solvent.  I see twists in many of my grips but it hasn't bothered me.  I know it could be easily fixed.  I've used my clubs for around 1 year with them applied this way and I'm sure there are dozens of hits with each club at this point.  I always just assumed this was an artifact of not using tape.  Has anyone had long-term success with this method?  I'll likely go back to using tape next time I regrip.  

- Ian

3 hours ago, Cali Ian said:

Has anyone had long-term success with this method?

I've been air gripping my clubs for years and haven't had an issue with the grips twisting. I just use painters tape underneath and a Pure air gun.

I've blown on Pure grips and now that they are out of business I use Lamkin ST+ hybrid grips without a problem.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I am interested in knowing more about how to change grips with a compressor.  Any "specs" on required equipment would be greatly appreciated. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

39 minutes ago, CrazyGolfNut said:

I am interested in knowing more about how to change grips with a compressor.  Any "specs" on required equipment would be greatly appreciated. 

There are at least a couple of threads on this method and the equipment used. Here is one of them.  I think Pure Grips may have been one of the first to offer an air pistol/nozzle and they also have videos of how to remove and install.  It's really easy, especially if you have a quality air compressor that can be adjusted.  

On 10/27/2023 at 7:07 AM, Cali Ian said:

I use this method to put on my grips.  I used standard beige masking tape and no solvent.  I see twists in many of my grips but it hasn't bothered me.  I know it could be easily fixed.  I've used my clubs for around 1 year with them applied this way and I'm sure there are dozens of hits with each club at this point.  I always just assumed this was an artifact of not using tape.  Has anyone had long-term success with this method?  I'll likely go back to using tape next time I regrip.  

First, make sure the grip I.D. fits the shaft's O.D.  The shaft has taper, the more we trim off the butt end the thinner the shaft's O.D.  

You can try using another layer of masking tape or two, they are thinner than the two sided tape.  Or change the tape to another kind with textured surface.  Masking tapes has smooth surface  which could be roughed up with sand paper to give more friction.

And if you use a two parts grip (typically harder material on top and softer material in the lower half of the grip) It will be easier to twist with use.  It will probably also twist with double sided tape.

Push the grip all the way down make sure the end cap is seated.  squeezed the grip in it's entire length to vent out possible small pockets of air so the grip is firmly attached to the shaft.

Beyond that, use another type of grip.  The best type of grip for air install is the traditional wrap or tour velvet.  

Edited by release

I use a mild Dawn Dishwashing soap/water solution from a spray bottle along with the blue 3M 2" painters tape. 1/2 teaspoon soap to 1 qt water and shake well. Add tape wraps to get the proper diameter desired, 4-5 sprays into the grip, pour out in bucket, spritz the taped shaft, work the grip onto the end of the shaft and apply air slowly to slide the grip on. Once it is completely seated, I hold it in place and apply air to blow as much soap solution out from under the grip as possible. The remaining dried layer of soap becomes sticky and does not degrade the adhesive on the tape. Been using this process for years and zero slippage. Grips come off easy too.

BT

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2023 at 5:28 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Well, I thought I had fixed the issue with the remove and replace but I just noticed a little twist today on the driver.  I think I'll remove it, add another layer of blue painter tape, hopefully increasing the interference fit, and see if that helps.  My only other thought was to find a tape that has a rougher texture but thus far I've not found anything.  It must just be the increased torque/torsion of the long stick as all other grips are fine.  I can see where air installed grips might not work for players with really high swing speeds and strong grip position.

Bill, sorry I have kept up on this thread.  I have never used solvent or any lubrication when installing with air.  I believe that Pure Grips originally put their grips on directly on the shaft with no tape.  I think the grip sticks better to smooth surfaces rather than rougher surfaces... more surface area contact.  I only say this because when I put grips on bare shafts, they were harder to remove later... tended to stick.  I have always used blue painters tape for build up and have never had an issue, but it's important that the grip diameter is appropriate for the shaft butt diameter.

If you have put solvent on the blue painters tape and remove the grip, you should remove all of the old tape and re-tape.  Solvent makes the tape squishy, which is why I never use it.  Try the tape with the smoothest texture.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”