Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Forum Member Reviews: Callaway Whitebox Testing

On 3/14/2024 at 2:31 PM, Rob Person said:

This question came up in a previous ball Test from last year, so I thought I would ask it. How many balls have you managed  to retain throughout the test?

Were they Lost to woods, water, too damaged?

I still have 2 full sleeves of each, plus a couple of them that have 60+ holes on them - I even have 2 of the AVX  left from the last test.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

6 hours ago, Erin B said:

I lost the last of my dozen on day 4 or 5 of the 8 day Mesquite golf trip. I think it was on Wolf Creek, but I couldn't be positive. I did buy the 'buy 3 get the 4th dozen for free' box of the Chrome Tour X's.

Sounds about right, played Wolf Creek twice, I can't remember how many balls I lost on that course. Not my favorite down there maybe because my first experience was 115deg and almost 6 hour round due to idiots in front of us, this was in the first summer when they were open. The person that booked our tee times booked for10am or so, way too hot in summer to be teeing off then.

Edited by hoppman

Was able to get outside chipping and putting today. Around the greens, it was splitting hairs between the two models. The x was ever so slightly clickier sounding of the wedge face, but I could get it to stop quicker if I needed to spin it. That said, the tour was not far behind. Both were very predictable in flight and spin on regular pitch and chip shots. I really could go either way around the greens. There was something really satisfying about the way the tour felt as it popped off the wedge face though.

I also finished up my triple track test vs my usual sharpie line vs no line. I had started at home, a few weeks ago on my putting mat with straight putts. The triple track made 1 more putt than the line, and both demolished a blank ball. To complete the test, I kept the distance the same, 10 feet, but did 4 different breaking putts. Here are the results.

TT: 50%
line: 50%
blank: 29%

i noticed the same issue I had on the straight putts. Without a line I got way too focused on my start line and lost the speed. Lining up the line or triple track, I could set it and forget it and just picture the path to the hole. Even though the triple track and line scored the same, the triple track was easier to line up to a starting spot and to align my putter to, so my process felt a little quicker. I still just wish it didn’t mess up the logo on the ball😩. Maybe I just buy a sharpie template for the triple track or something. 

Later this week, approach test on our part 3 course. It’s always a good one for practice and testing since it has holes ranging from 75 to 205 yards. 

Edited by MuniGolfer

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Still gaming my Chrome Tour for sim league tonight. I do have to say that I'm surprised by the distance gained by my playing partner. He typically is around 275 to 280 total distance. While using the Chrome Tour, he's consistently carrying 290 to 295 with driver. I do personally see some smaller gains, but his swing speed is slightly higher than mine, 105-110, where as I'm at 95-100 mph. 

I'll have updates later on this week. 

D-  Titleist  TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w - Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB - Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons - 4-PW Takomo 101T w/ KBS Tour Stiff 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

I recently received a set of Callaway Chrome Tour golf balls, including both Tour and Tour X models. As an avid golfer, I am eagerly anticipating a golf ball test that I plan to conduct in 2024, which will include a comparison between the 2023 ProV1X and the 2024 Bridgestone Tour BX Mindset golf balls. I am particularly interested in seeing how the Callaway golf balls stack up against other leading brands in terms of distance, accuracy, and feel.

I have heard nothing but great things about the Callaway Chrome Tour golf balls, and a close friend of mine has already conducted his own golf ball test, which yielded impressive results when compared to the ProV1X. I am excited to see how the Callaway golf balls perform in my own test and whether they live up to the hype.

JSki_Golf

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Great article and appreciate the opportunity from mygolfspy and callaway.  They really have made a great ball line this year!

WITB

Just now, TG8 said:

Great article and appreciate the opportunity from mygolfspy and callaway.  They really have made a great ball line this year!

Was a very fun one to write and go through. 

In speaking with Callaway since the article was published they were thrilled to get the feedback as well. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 3/14/2024 at 12:31 PM, Rob Person said:

This question came up in a previous ball Test from last year, so I thought I would ask it. How many balls have you managed  to retain throughout the test?

Were they Lost to woods, water, too damaged?

I lost two on the water's edge (both Chrome Tours) and put away one due to damage (a Chrome Tour X).

TaylorMade woods, Callaway irons and wedges, and an Odyssey putter

Final Review Callaway Chrome Tour & Tour X

by 2puttbogey

Before I start the review just a quick little bio summary since it’s buried in an earlier post. I’m a 49 year old male. A 10 handicap, and  live in Hawaii. 

First Impression 

9 / 10

Both balls have the look of premium quality. Because it’s white box testing there was nothing to differentiate them in the box. There were no blemishes or seams to be seen, and all the printing was perfect. IMG_1466.jpeg.3ea1d8072be04e75050837e75535ab16.jpeg

Each ball has the triple track, but there’s no way to know if they are on the balance point of the ball. I would like to have had a check go to run on them to see, but unfortunately I don’t, hopefully one of the other reviewers does and was able to run it on them. 

I will be expecting the X to be a better fit for me in the testing as it is supposed to be the higher launching, firmer balls with more spin.

Aesthetics 

8 / 10

The only issue I had with them is that it’s a new/updated product, and the branding looks exactly like the Chrome Soft. The only way to tell the ball you’re using is the small print underneath the Callaway logo.IMG_1525.jpeg.ca4fe27eafbb3c5429ff32bda2744e44.jpeg

As expected I did a drop test on the cement, and the X was the firmer sounding ball. Neither ball was very “clicky”. Both balls have a soft feel to the touch, and a bit of a tacky feeling.

The Numbers 

18 / 20

I gave this a consistent score with what I was seeing with the balls throughout the testing. I’m not much of a data guy, although I do have a Mevo I use to check carry yardage occasionally. I will let those in the testing pool with better launch monitors post the numbers. I was more concerned with on course performance.

On Course Performance 

18 /20

• Off the Tee Both versions of the ball were great off the tee. The X has a firmer feel and makes a louder sound. The biggest was in the trajectory. The X was higher launching than the Tour.   

That was the Tour

That was the X

Both balls performed as expected with the X being a little longer for be due to the higher launch that gave me added carry.

Approach  The difference in launch was also apparent off the short irons and wedges .  Both balls spun well, I seen more from the X. IMG_1480.jpeg.a6a08182a2ae2a4216aac1c3dcedf305.jpeg

This is the release from on the Tour.IMG_1478.jpeg.3b9c711aac2f03b4cf9b4349c217d40e.jpeg

This is the backspin on the X.

Probably due to the trajectory, and more expected spin I saw more stopping power from the X.

Ball Flight As I have already touched upon I found the X to launch, and peak higher. This is consistent through out the bag for me. This is what I expected. This is also consistent with what I see from the X versions from other manufacturers, and lean towards those models. Playing in Hawaii I get to play in the wind, and although the X was higher in flight there was no ballooning, although hitting into the wind the Tour did get slightly more distance.IMG_1473.jpeg.9cf6abc80b9ebeb3c001fd5652d4528f.jpeg

• Around the Green  Here  I felt the balls were indistinguishable. Both had a soft feel to them, and neither seemed to spin more than the other. I got the same control I need from both balls.

Putting  Again the balls were indistinguishable. Both felt soft, but not like a marshmallow. There was enough firmness to be able to control the distance. The triple track is helpful to be sure you’re lined up correctly, and the putter face is square.

The Good/Bad and In Between 

19/20

With this being a ball test there’s not a lot to add as in between. I will use this to mention the durability. Unfortunately I only had one ball survive 18 holes , and it held up great.IMG_1482.jpeg.98b1b2892e2b8ff8f260f9dcf3a4e452.jpegIMG_1481.jpeg.c6590eee4acbb18f0e329d57730cf698.jpeg

I did have one hit the cart path and it scuffed as one would expect, not really a manufacturer issue there. On the other hand I did have one scuff from an approach with a wedge, but of course I didn’t take a photo right away and proceeded to lose the ball soon after so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

Play it or Trade it

15/20

This is where the cost becomes the issue. With the balls being $55 a dozen they are in the top tier of cost per dozen. This is the only thing that would keep me from playing it. Do they preform well? Absolutely! Are they so good that I need to play them for basically $5 a ball? No! If I were playing a ball in that price tier already would I switch to it? Probably not. The cost is not exclusive to Callaway, and probably has to put them in this range to not look like a cheap option when it’s obvious they want some of the ProV market share. I will say that using Tour over soft was a good choice. 

Conclusion

The Chrome Tour line is right on par with the other manufacturers premium tour line of balls. Both versions preform as expected and marketed. With premium looks and feel the Chrome Tours will be looking to dig into the ProV market. With the constant all around performance that just may have a chance.

Final Score 87/100
Edited by 2puttbogey

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

It was fun!  Thanks for the selection this go round.  Will be doing some testing vs the AVX finally this weekend.  Will continue to add comments 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Grate final reviews and great article

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

20 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thank YOU!

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

More BOMBs all night last night. My playing partner was smashing drives again 300+ all night. Ball used was the Chrome Tour. His current driver is a Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 10..5 deg. If you are looking to add distance, this is the ball for you! 

IMG_4494.jpeg.ac013433ee863172dbc8c7f49ae2989f.jpegIMG_4493.jpeg.976c7ddc7e52bba24d7f0842a1dcdde3.jpeg

D-  Titleist  TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w - Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB - Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons - 4-PW Takomo 101T w/ KBS Tour Stiff 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

On 3/18/2024 at 5:53 PM, "Mr. 72" said:

I have four left of each model. One had bad road rash. I think I lost two in the water. I'm not sure about the other one.

So, I actually found "the other one", a CT in my valuables pouch yesterday.   ...And proceeded to rinse it on the 2nd hole. 🤬

AKA Dark Horse

State of my game:  "Breaking 85" is the new "Breaking 80".

On 3/19/2024 at 9:20 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thank you for the opportunity to contribute to the test! Nice summary article. 👍🏻

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

On 3/19/2024 at 7:20 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thanks for the opportunity to test these balls.  Had a lot of fun, plus this is an awesome ball to be able to test.  Happy swinging everyone...the sun is shining!

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

Just got back from 2 weeks in Florida. I figured I'd be able to see how these react in the wind. However, it was the calmest it has been when we have gone down.

1st week in Orlando at my wife's cousin's. Played twice. Same course in her complex a few days apart. One day using the Chrome Tour one day with the X. I did not see much different in results. Distance similar, greens holding similar, putting (stinks) similar. The only real difference was the feel. The X still feels firmer to me.

This little guy (3-4 footer) watched us on the 10th hole from about 20 ft away. 

Gator.jpg.c3488eb7ed84bfa539c5f6356a7a5020.jpg

The following week we were in Naples and another cousin's place. Played twice more with her husband. Same weather. 80 degrees and calm. Both balls were great. Again, I found no difference in scoring ability with either ball.

Got home and played yesterday. VERY windy! I noticed the X was affected a little more due to the higher ballflight. Still held its line and did not loose enough distance into the wind to matter.

Bottom line is both of these balls are exceptional. I have not seen any of the durability issues others have shown. The only blemishes on mine have come from cart paths or trees. I am still not sold on the triple track. I have troubles lining them up where I want to, but that is not the ball's fault. It is the old guy whose eyes are getting bad and can't squat down to make sure it is lined up correctly. I think I prefer the plain white with the chevron. 

The Chrome Tour is still my preference. A little softer feel and lower ballflight and spin.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

Played some horrendous golf tuesday evening and lost my first chrome tour and x. 😢

WITB

Just for fun 😂

WITB

@Randall Robbins I have a ball that has 40+ hole in it. I have noticed a little decline in performance, but nothing significant. Wind seems to hit it more, but no wind conditions the balls are still performing. I will post some pictures. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: [email protected]

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

I noticed a bit of a drop off in velocity and then roll out, but it took the ball getting to 50  holes before that happened.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

Played our par 3 course 2 days ago. I am still struggling with which ball I like better. There was a bit of wind, and both were great. This is the reason I used to play Callaway balls, as they seem to just cut through wind. For instance, the first hole was 122 with wind off the right. I hit a smooth gap wedge, flighted down a bit, to take the spin off. It just went dead straight, no movement from the wind. I expected it to get pushed into the middle of the green, but it never left the pin. It pulled up on the front of the green, but that was due more to my early season distance control, or lack thereof, than anything else. I also hit 7 iron with both balls, dead into the breeze, and both flew to my normal carry distance and were sitting pin high. 

When it came to spin, this is where I am having a hard time deciding. From my simulator work, the Tour x seemed to have a more ideal spin rate for me, but playing outside, there were times it spun too much. Whereas, the Tour spun right how I wanted on full shots, and one hopped and stopped when I took spin off. I am interested to get these out with the driver in the next week or so and see which seems better for me. I will say, there were times around the green I appreciated the little bit extra spin from the x. One problem with the Tour, however, I hit two shots that were a groove or two low on the face. Instead of dropping short of my target, they flew the green, like 10-15 yards past my normal carry where I can't usually push a particular club to. It wasn't like these were bladed shots that I expected to go stupid far, just a little low on the face where I usually lose distance. I can only figure that the lower spin of the Tour dropped to a perfect window of launch and low spin where it just carried forever. It didn't even fly much lower than my normal ball flight! That little inconsistency does concern me a bit. The x seemed to perform more as normal on those groove low shots, where it would drop a few yards short of normal.

x_spin.jpg.bc73f0f1fa387ef7d82054b389525398.jpg

Tour x, hit slightly down wind off my 56*, with some cut spin. I was expecting about 4-5 feet of back spin, not 12-15

Tour_Spin.jpg.337a908bd633e6a6c41cce8d51b597db.jpg

Chrome Tour hit into wind, smooth to take spin off. Expecting one-hop and stop. Wind added a little spin and it backed up a foot or so to near it's ball mark.

Durability was a little different than in the simulator, which it expected with dirt and other debris getting trapped between the clubface and the ball. Still good. Nothings I would pull the ball out of play for yet, at least for casual rounds. For tournament play, I would start fresh, especially with the x. It seemed to mark up easier than the Tour. The paint on the triple track seemed to really be fragile. It chipped off in several spots.

Tourx_Round1.jpg.f965fb8872d52433b05568e8611d4503.jpg

Chrome Tour x after 1 par 3 round

Tour_Round1.jpg.172d5531a86d0c25bca99bdd75ffa0e3.jpg

Chrome Tour after 1 par 3 round

I also found, when I was really looking at these balls for damage, that the clear coat had lots if little bubbles in the middle of the dimples that I didn't notice before. It wasn't as bad as some have seen, with the big popped blisters, but it still was interesting. It was more pronounced on the Chrome Tour, and you may be able to see some if you zoom in on the picture above. 

Finally, one thing I didn't love about the Tour was if felt almost too soft off the putter today. I haven't noticed it before, but it felt almost marshmallowy. The x felt a little more positive and gave me some feedback. It wouldn't hold me back from bagging it, but was something I noticed today that I hadn't felt indoors yet.

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

3 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

Played our par 3 course 2 days ago. I am still struggling with which ball I like better. There was a bit of wind, and both were great. This is the reason I used to play Callaway balls, as they seem to just cut through wind. For instance, the first hole was 122 with wind off the right. I hit a smooth gap wedge, flighted down a bit, to take the spin off. It just went dead straight, no movement from the wind. I expected it to get pushed into the middle of the green, but it never left the pin. It pulled up on the front of the green, but that was due more to my early season distance control, or lack thereof, than anything else. I also hit 7 iron with both balls, dead into the breeze, and both flew to my normal carry distance and were sitting pin high. 

When it came to spin, this is where I am having a hard time deciding. From my simulator work, the Tour x seemed to have a more ideal spin rate for me, but playing outside, there were times it spun too much. Whereas, the Tour spun right how I wanted on full shots, and one hopped and stopped when I took spin off. I am interested to get these out with the driver in the next week or so and see which seems better for me. I will say, there were times around the green I appreciated the little bit extra spin from the x. One problem with the Tour, however, I hit two shots that were a groove or two low on the face. Instead of dropping short of my target, they flew the green, like 10-15 yards past my normal carry where I can't usually push a particular club to. It wasn't like these were bladed shots that I expected to go stupid far, just a little low on the face where I usually lose distance. I can only figure that the lower spin of the Tour dropped to a perfect window of launch and low spin where it just carried forever. It didn't even fly much lower than my normal ball flight! That little inconsistency does concern me a bit. The x seemed to perform more as normal on those groove low shots, where it would drop a few yards short of normal.

x_spin.jpg.bc73f0f1fa387ef7d82054b389525398.jpg

Tour x, hit slightly down wind off my 56*, with some cut spin. I was expecting about 4-5 feet of back spin, not 12-15

Tour_Spin.jpg.337a908bd633e6a6c41cce8d51b597db.jpg

Chrome Tour hit into wind, smooth to take spin off. Expecting one-hop and stop. Wind added a little spin and it backed up a foot or so to near it's ball mark.

Durability was a little different than in the simulator, which it expected with dirt and other debris getting trapped between the clubface and the ball. Still good. Nothings I would pull the ball out of play for yet, at least for casual rounds. For tournament play, I would start fresh, especially with the x. It seemed to mark up easier than the Tour. The paint on the triple track seemed to really be fragile. It chipped off in several spots.

Tourx_Round1.jpg.f965fb8872d52433b05568e8611d4503.jpg

Chrome Tour x after 1 par 3 round

Tour_Round1.jpg.172d5531a86d0c25bca99bdd75ffa0e3.jpg

Chrome Tour after 1 par 3 round

I also found, when I was really looking at these balls for damage, that the clear coat had lots if little bubbles in the middle of the dimples that I didn't notice before. It wasn't as bad as some have seen, with the big popped blisters, but it still was interesting. It was more pronounced on the Chrome Tour, and you may be able to see some if you zoom in on the picture above. 

Finally, one thing I didn't love about the Tour was if felt almost too soft off the putter today. I haven't noticed it before, but it felt almost marshmallowy. The x felt a little more positive and gave me some feedback. It wouldn't hold me back from bagging it, but was something I noticed today that I hadn't felt indoors yet.

Played with my last ball of the bunch today and it looked worse than those above.  Granted I've been hitting it in the SIM, but after 9 holes today it's in the retired/water ball bag.  Now that I'm out of Tour balls, I want to take one of the ProV1x from my SIM bag and go play 9 to see how it holds up.  Maybe I've forgotten and I'm too hard on the Tour balls.  My impression has been they (Tour) get scuffed up easier, but I'll test it out next week.  Weather is perfect today...happy hitting everyone!

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

5 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

I also found, when I was really looking at these balls for damage, that the clear coat had lots if little bubbles in the middle of the dimples that I didn't notice before

This is what I was seeing in the sleeve I had purchased. I have also pulled some random sleeves out at the store to look and saw the same on more balls than not. Not sure if they are big enough to effect aerodynamics not. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

19 minutes ago, ZackS said:

This is what I was seeing in the sleeve I had purchased. I have also pulled some random sleeves out at the store to look and saw the same on more balls than not. Not sure if they are big enough to effect aerodynamics not. 

Yeah, it makes me wonder too. The wind performance was fantastic though. I wonder if it will affect the durability at some point?

55 minutes ago, MuniGolfer said:

Yeah, it makes me wonder too. The wind performance was fantastic though. I wonder if it will affect the durability at some point?

I had good wind performance with the Tour X as well. I was wondering if the clear coat is part of how they seem to markup easily. At least on the ones I tests it didn’t cut or rip necessarily but marked up and looked bad pretty easily. I am not sure if other ls don’t use clear coat for sure but if they do it’s nowhere near as evident as what Callaway uses. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

Weather is cold and rainy here in MO. Probably no outside golf until later this week😢

still loving the chrome tour outside and in. 

WITB

Picked the right day to play the Chrome Tour X again. It’s the last of the lot that I received so I’ve been hoarding it.  For only the second time a ball made it all 18 holes. Performance wise it was great. All my distances were spot on, and trajectory was what I like to see. There was some abrasion to the cover.IMG_1541.jpeg.87b1c4cf83714372b89e045aa569a160.jpegIMG_1542.jpeg.244fea264a26214817ed178fd4629eb6.jpegIMG_1543.jpeg.10787be9ed6fc2adb5ff31b5f90ef244.jpegIMG_1544.jpeg.f7f3a995f420993229d55667c9702fae.jpeg

I didn’t hit any trees or cart paths so the abrasion is just wear and tear. Aside from the one spot the rest of the ball held up good. 

Had a scratch and former state champ test out the chrome tour for fun.  He picked up some ball speed compared to his prov1x left dash.  Similar results to what I saw. 

Even after seeing the results he said, “I am still a Titleist guy, wont be switching “.  I feel like this is going to be the case for a lot of long long time prov1 users.  

Edited by TG8
Typo

WITB