Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What Golf Ball Are You Playing In 2024?

11 hours ago, T-Bone NJ said:

I'm leaning towards Titleist ProV1x but I do also like playing the Taylormade TourSofts and Callaway ChromeSoft balls.   

T-Bone just a short note to welcome you to the forums. Lots of great info and sometimes good natured ribbing happens here. Welcome aboard.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Sticking with my stockpile of 2021 ProV1s. I did buy a box of Vice Pro (solely purchased while working a Target deal) so I will give them a round or two early on in the year. 

Driver -  Titleist TSR2 10°

3W -  TaylorMade SIM2 15° 

5W - Titleist TSR2 18°

Irons -  6-9 Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro

Wedges -  Vokey SM9 48°, 52°, 56°, 60°, WedgeWorks 64° 

Putter -  Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Ball -  Titleist ProV1

I am going to play the Snell MTB X balls. Until there is a sale on the Maxfli balls, which I played in the early part of the summer.

Baton Rouge Louisiana

PXG Gen 6 Driver 10.5 Project X Cypher 50 5.5

Callaway Rogue X irons

Donor

Vietnam Veteran 69-70

I’ll be playing ProV1 since I have some still left from last year.  Once I use those up I’m considering either Snell or Maxfli  (models TBD).

Driver:  Ping G425 LST 9 degrees, stock shaft regular

Fairway: Ping G425 LST 13.5 degrees, stock shaft regular

Hybrids: Ping G425 19 and 22 degrees, stock shaft regular

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max, Project X  LZ105 5.5; 5-AW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 52 degrees, TT Dynamic Gold 115; Cleveland SmartSole 58 degrees, stock shaft

Putter:  Axis1 Rose with FlatCat grip

veteran.gif.ce23e65765944402b155f425df8cdfdb.gif.5b4cd6901ad1d0966d36704e6b4d9e7d.gif

image.png.2c141450bfdc56c40426d9df08a4bb4d.png

image.png.3ce9d749de4445b748c0a563eb19c35b.png

played 18 today with yellow warbirds. They did good imo!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I finished 23 with ProV1 after trying ProV1X for a while and plan to stick with ProV1. I also have a few sleeves of Z-Star XV left over from the beginning of last season. I like the XVs, but I found the ProV1 to be so easy to control green side and has a nice low flight that makes playing in the wind so much easier. I normally receive several sleeves of other balls throughout the year from scrambles that I randomly throw in the mix on days I can't control the ball off the tee. 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

I’m all over the place - Titleist Pro V1 & x and Tour Speed, Callaway Chromesoft LS. But I buy used since I loose a few balls a round lol. I think I will try Golf Galaxy’s ball fitting, hopefully I can settle on a ball to play this season. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max

3-Wood: Taylormade SIM2 Ti 3W

3-Hybrid: Callway Apex 21

Irons: 4-PW Taylormade P770

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Black - 50,54,58

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1

WOW!  I was trying to compile a preference as I read through all the post here but I got overwhelmed by the sheer number of posts.  I have to say that a lot of folks echo my own preference/experience.  

@GolfSpy_APH the forum response is great to read detail, but it is hard to get a sense of the big picture. We all know Titleist is the #1 ball on Tour, but what is the #1 ball Touring the country with MGS members?  Is anyone there thinking about putting this into a survey format to see what the #1 ball on MGS is?  How about whether play and/or MGS ball test are primary factors in that decision?  I, for one, would be interested in seeing what balls hold preference and what factors influence choice.  I started to put together a Survey Monkey, but realized that you guys might have something drawn up already or some tool that is easier to apply.  Personally, I have tried a few balls based on forum reviews and Ball Test results that I may not have tried if I hadn't seen it here.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

37 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

WOW!  I was trying to compile a preference as I read through all the post here but I got overwhelmed by the sheer number of posts.  I have to say that a lot of folks echo my own preference/experience.  

@GolfSpy_APH the forum response is great to read detail, but it is hard to get a sense of the big picture. We all know Titleist is the #1 ball on Tour, but what is the #1 ball Touring the country with MGS members?  Is anyone there thinking about putting this into a survey format to see what the #1 ball on MGS is?  How about whether play and/or MGS ball test are primary factors in that decision?  I, for one, would be interested in seeing what balls hold preference and what factors influence choice.  I started to put together a Survey Monkey, but realized that you guys might have something drawn up already or some tool that is easier to apply.  Personally, I have tried a few balls based on forum reviews and Ball Test results that I may not have tried if I hadn't seen it here.

MyGolfSpy does basically a WIYB survey each season. Goes over a lot! 

Maxfli and Titleist are the big ones from Forum members. Lots of others scattered around.

Closer to playing season for all we may do a larger survey for the whole membership, but we also expect a lot of new comers so yes, in the future we have some thoughts, but also want to make sure we do something with the results for all.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Last year I started with the Callaway Super Soft and moved to the Callaway Chrome Soft. Wanted to try the ERC Soft this year but seems alot of other brands have really stepped up there game so may see what is the best bang for the buck that is fitting for my game(Don't mind losing haha)

DRIVER PING.png G425 MAX w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 55 S 12*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 65 S 15*

HYBRID PING.png G425 2h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 65 S 17*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65 S 22*

IRONS MIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 4i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115 W 50*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

My current test list will include the Callaway Chrome Tour & +, Taylormade Tour Response,  Titleist Pro V1 & x & left dash.

I really hit the Tour Response straight and the iron gains (5 yards) may out weight the driver distance losses (5 yards).  These are what I play in the cold weather I find I loss less yardage to the cold with these.  I have no issues with spinning them from 30 yards and in and my irons bounce once and stop which is all the spin I want.

If I don't fall in love with one of these I will look at Maxfli, Srixon, Snell and Vice. 

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Z-star. But will also evaluate if I can get acceptable performance and playability out of AD333, as they were available at a great discount.

• Titleist 913D3 [email protected]
  • 913F [email protected]
  • 917F 21
  • 816H2 23
  • T200-5, T150-6, T100S 7-P. +0,5"/2up (PW@45)
  • SM4 50-12F +0,75"/2up, 54-11M +1"/1.5up  / 58-12M +1,25"/1up
  • Cobra Agera 30, 35"

I played Kirkland balls for the longest time. Recently have been experimenting with various ones. I liked the vice pro zero when I’ve played it. My goal this season is to play around and find the best ball for my game. 

WITB:

driver: Taylormade Stealth Plus

3W: Taylormade M3

3H: Taylormade M3

4H: Taylormade M3

5-GW: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal 919

56: Vokey SM8

60: Vokey SM8

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport

Since manufacturers are being told to back-off on the ball distance in like 6 years or so, I am using my current supply of Taylormade TP5 and Titleist Pro-V golf balls.  For my game, I haven't found a higher quality ball yet.  So I guess my answer would be that I am sticking with my current golf ball brands-models.

Cobra AMP 8.5* driver (sometimes swap for Cobra Speedzone driver)

Cobra Speedzone 3 WD, 19* hybrid

Driving iron 18*

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4 - PW

Cleveland 588 gap wedge 52*

Scotty Cameron futura putter (sometimes Ping Zing anniversary edition, or TP mills blade)

Definitely bounce between brands a lot during the season, and have a giant stockpile across brands in the basement, but the three top balls this year will probably be:

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash - typically my top choice, but because of cost and availability, tend to use them only around tournament time (1-2 weeks before plus the actual tournament). Just picked up a couple more dozen now that they are available again.

Vice Pro Plus variants - love the Shade and Drip patterns, so those are top choices for everyday / casual play. 

TaylorMade TP5(x?) PIX Limited Edition(s) - scooped up a handful of these releases, which finally look like they're being released with a TP5x option on a regular basis (last year it was mostly TP5 only). Just this morning I bought a dozen of the Dragon TP5x. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

I’ve been playing used pro v’s, but got a new box for Christmas and just bought a box of Odin x1’s.  Hopefully I’ll get to try them out tomorrow. I’d like to try the maxfli tours and the Bridgestone at some point this year also. 

Jnr

Last year I played Titleist Prov1, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS, and Maxfli tour X. For 2024 I will likely stay with the Prov1 and and Chrome Soft X LS but planning on adding the Pro V1x Left Dash into the rotation based off of the MGS Ball test and the distance gains for higher swing speeds.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

I will be playing my Sugar Pure golf balls that I was fortunate enough to test last year!

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

On 1/31/2024 at 3:17 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Lots of new releases this season and a lot of what seem to be very good options. Will you be sticking with your go to or will you be making a switch? Let us know what golf ball will be your gamer in 2024?

I was pretty convinced that I would just stick with Left Dash (since the Chromesoft XLS is no more). But I snagged a sleeve of the new Chrome Tour before playing yesterday and... wow. I definitely need to do more testing. The Chrome Tour is a dang good ball.

Driver/long game: really solid, firm feel (firmer than I was expecting, though obviously softer than LD); flatter trajectory, which I need. The LD tends to fly pretty high and I'd like something flying through a lower window. And the main thing I was worried about? It's definitely not too spinny. Whenever I'd game the XLS (i.e. when I couldn't find LD in stores), I'd have to loft down my driver to try and take spin off. The Chrome Tour seems to have reduced driver spin and I was able to pick up a few yards as a result.

Mid-irons: Noticeably softer feeling as the swing speed comes down. Appropriate amount of spin for me. I have a tendency to hit moon balls that spin way too much (I have been known to hit a 5i that spins back a few feet...) and these seem to be much more controlled. My personal favorite was a 7i into the 18th that one-hopped-and-stopped about 10 feet from the pin. 

Short-irons and full wedges: Softer still and picking up more spin. 9i pulled back a couple feet, but not excessive. Full gap wedge into a few greens came back a consistent 8-10 feet, which is a little more than I like, but I can live with it. (For comparison, ProV1x or Chrome Soft X would rip 20+ feet with a full gap or sand wedge.......)

Partial wedges/pitches: This is where the Left Dash isn't quite the right ball, but I like it everywhere else, so I live with it. The Chrome Tour absolutely shines here! Absolutely incredible control and a very responsive feel. After just a couple shots, I felt like I knew exactly what it was going to do and felt full confidence that I would be able to hit a variety of shots with it, which is not something I can say about the Left Dash. I was easily hitting running chips and hop-and-stop pitches. I could flight a half-lob wedge from 40 yards or go high and let it land heavy. Really, really impressive around the greens.

I wasn't really looking to make a ball change, but the Chrome Tour is really intriguing.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

3 minutes ago, GregGarner said:

I was pretty convinced that I would just stick with Left Dash (since the Chromesoft XLS is no more). But I snagged a sleeve of the new Chrome Tour before playing yesterday and... wow. I definitely need to do more testing. The Chrome Tour is a dang good ball.

Driver/long game: really solid, firm feel (firmer than I was expecting, though obviously softer than LD); flatter trajectory, which I need. The LD tends to fly pretty high and I'd like something flying through a lower window. And the main thing I was worried about? It's definitely not too spinny. Whenever I'd game the XLS (i.e. when I couldn't find LD in stores), I'd have to loft down my driver to try and take spin off. The Chrome Tour seems to have reduced driver spin and I was able to pick up a few yards as a result.

Mid-irons: Noticeably softer feeling as the swing speed comes down. Appropriate amount of spin for me. I have a tendency to hit moon balls that spin way too much (I have been known to hit a 5i that spins back a few feet...) and these seem to be much more controlled. My personal favorite was a 7i into the 18th that one-hopped-and-stopped about 10 feet from the pin. 

Short-irons and full wedges: Softer still and picking up more spin. 9i pulled back a couple feet, but not excessive. Full gap wedge into a few greens came back a consistent 8-10 feet, which is a little more than I like, but I can live with it. (For comparison, ProV1x or Chrome Soft X would rip 20+ feet with a full gap or sand wedge.......)

Partial wedges/pitches: This is where the Left Dash isn't quite the right ball, but I like it everywhere else, so I live with it. The Chrome Tour absolutely shines here! Absolutely incredible control and a very responsive feel. After just a couple shots, I felt like I knew exactly what it was going to do and felt full confidence that I would be able to hit a variety of shots with it, which is not something I can say about the Left Dash. I was easily hitting running chips and hop-and-stop pitches. I could flight a half-lob wedge from 40 yards or go high and let it land heavy. Really, really impressive around the greens.

I wasn't really looking to make a ball change, but the Chrome Tour is really intriguing.

I have a few CT and CTX and they definitely are legit. Need to do more testing like you but do far impressed.

PXL_20240204_124921656.MP.jpg

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I tend to not stray from the PRO V1 much. It's still the pinnacle... But; I also really like Bridgestone BXS, they seem to handle wind better? The new BX is supposed to have lower spin numbers I believe so I'm going to give them a try as well.

I've tried the TP5 ; it is a nice feeling ball but loses too much distance and I find the cover gets damaged easily.

There is always a few high end Srixons in the bag for a Provi or the days when getting off the Tee is proving problematic and you get tired of firing expensive balls into the either! For whatever reason these ones are harder to lose?!

Golf nerd from Western Australia.

Started the year with playing my ball of choice from last year Taylormade TP5. However, yesterday I played the Titleist ProV1x and will be continuing at least several rounds with the ProV1x.

Stealth 2 Driver, RBZ Stage 2 3W, M2 5W, Burner 3 Hybrid, Titleist 695BC irons, Volkey Wedges(52,56,60), TP Del Monte Putter

40 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have a few CT and CTX and they definitely are legit. Need to do more testing like you but do far impressed.

PXL_20240204_124921656.MP.jpg

Can I ask what all the black dots are for? Thanks

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

1 minute ago, Bad Golfer said:

Can I ask what all the black dots are for? Thanks

Those are for the Rapsodo. It's a template to help the MLM2Pro pick up the spin with greater accuracy.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Those are for the Rapsodo. It's a template to help the MLM2Pro pick up the spin with greater accuracy.

OK thank you! I do remember seeing that now in the testing thread.

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

Right now I’m testing out the Wilson Triad balls. If they work out well I may stick with them. If they don’t I’ll go back to the Vice balls. Although the wife did just buy me some Srixon Z-Star divide balls. So I’ll have to use those eventually. May just use those to practice chipping with at home with the chipping net I have. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4