Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

When playing in the wind how do you calculate extra or less club?

Javs

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Just be careful using that feature in a proper competition.  For most casual play, I'd guess nobody will complain.  But the Rules specifically do NOT allow using a device to:

"Interpreting distance or directional information (such as using a device to get a recommended line of play or club selection based on the location of the player’s ball)"

This is in Rule 4.3a(1).  Again, I don't have a problem with its use in casual play, I just like folks to learn about the Rules.

I'm not in any way trying to make somebody do something that they don't want to do, nor violate rules. I personally never have nor ever will play in a tournament. I'm out there just to have fun. The watch does have a tournament mode. From the Garmin website, it says "Tournament Mode- Disables the PinPointer and PlaysLike distance features. These features are not allowed during sanctioned tournaments or handicap calculation rounds".

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

2 hours ago, VernL4 said:

I'm not in any way trying to make somebody do something that they don't want to do, nor violate rules. I personally never have nor ever will play in a tournament. I'm out there just to have fun. The watch does have a tournament mode. From the Garmin website, it says "Tournament Mode- Disables the PinPointer and PlaysLike distance features. These features are not allowed during sanctioned tournaments or handicap calculation rounds".

I never doubted that.  I've kind of become the "rule-guy" around here, and just wanted to make sure folks understand the rule.  There's plenty of room in golf for all levels of rules observance, from the most casual players making up their own rules as they go, to seasoned competitors who're required to follow the rules when they play.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I never doubted that.  I've kind of become the "rule-guy" around here, and just wanted to make sure folks understand the rule.  There's plenty of room in golf for all levels of rules observance, from the most casual players making up their own rules as they go, to seasoned competitors who're required to follow the rules when they play.

... I love that and it's an individual decision. I like to play strictly by the rules with one local amendment. When I first got out here I played with some guys on the ASU golf team and they told me about a local rule they use. When in the desert where the ground is basically sandy rocks, we move the ball to the closest grass. If we have a clear shot we drop with no penalty. If we are obstructed we drop with a one stroke penalty. Interestingly there are times when we move the ball to the closest grass and have a tree or bush in the way when we had a clear shot from the desert.  I had a clean lie in the desert and didn't see any rocks, brushing the small pebbles away from my ball and I played the shot from there. There was a rock just under the surface and it put a huge gouge in my 7 iron. 🤬  That's when the kids from ASU told me of their local rule to save their forged irons. With irons costing $1300 or more, destroying the finish for a casual round just isn't a very smart economic decision. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 hours ago, chisag said:

When in the desert where the ground is basically sandy rocks, we move the ball to the closest grass.

I believe, without any firsthand knowledge, that these situations were a.big part of the decision to allow a Committee to define areas without water as Penalty Areas.  Before that change, an area had to at least occasionally carry water to be legitimately treated as a Hazard.  This is one of the many ways that expansion of golf to different climates has fueled rule changes.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Man I dunno 🤣

If it’s a typical wind I usually club up or down by 1 club.  I don’t know how I could conceptually offer an objective number for how I decide. 

It’s all feel and I wish I could explain this better.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I haven't read the article yet but will.  I have always enjoyed playing in the wind.  It's just fun to try to figure out what I need to do -- what club?  how to swing it?  where to aim?  I don't have a formula but I never fight the wind.  If I am into the wind, I take plenty of club.  If the wind is blowing hard right to left, I aim to the right and trust the wind.  Since I hit a draw most of the time, if the wind is blowing left to right, I'll play less curve than in right to left wind.  It's all feel for me.  IIRC, Tom Watson said he would do much the same on British Open courses.  He did alright.

I have a fond memory of a round I played by myself in my first year of playing golf.  The wind was blowing and just seeing how it affected the ball was, for some reason, a delight. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS