Cutting butt end down flex affects?

I need to cut my advr 6x down a half in our so.  Will that make the shaft more stiff?  It's on the verge of too stiff already so not sure I want to go that route.  Need to go from midsize to standard grip as well. 

• LTDx 9* TOUR AD-VR 6x
  • CLEVELAND LAUNCHER XL 15*
  • COBRA SPEEDZONE 19* HYBRID
  • CALLAWAY XR WITH ELEVATE 95S 4-AW
  • CBX2 54* TM BIG FOOT 58*
  • ODYSSEY VERSA 3 TS
  • CHROME SOFT X LS YELLOW

Depending on the profile no it would make it softer. Usually the tip is softer then the butt end so trimming the butt would make it every so much softer. May not be by much if any depending on the shaft.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Depending on the profile no it would make it softer. Usually the tip is softer then the butt end so trimming the butt would make it every so much softer. May not be by much if any depending on the shaft.

Thanks  I think the butt is a touch softer then the tip in ad vr. 

• LTDx 9* TOUR AD-VR 6x
  • ODYSSEY VERSA 3 TS

It will not make it stiffer but shortening it AND switching to a lighter grip (standard grips and typically lighter the mids) will affect the swingweight significantly.  This can be adjusted fairly easily but if you just cut it and replace the grip it will feel different when you swing it, guaranteed.  Depending on length of cut and grip weight difference they may offset but my bet is that the SW will change.

Gear and stat junkie!

I could be wrong but cutting it shorter and putting the same grip on without changing the head weight will make the club swing weight lighter and inherently feel slightly stiffer. Probably not enough to notice at half an inch but you won’t know how it will affect you until you do it

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

1 hour ago, crisj said:

I need to cut my advr 6x down a half in our so.  Will that make the shaft more stiff?  It's on the verge of too stiff already so not sure I want to go that route.  Need to go from midsize to standard grip as well. 

I hate to disagree with Jamie, but in reality that shaft WILL play a bit stiffer after you butt-trim it. However, the difference should be VERY minor. The one thing that will counteract that slightly additional stiffness is that you will be using a thinner, and thus slightly lighter, grip on the cut-down shaft, which will lower the club’s balance point slightly, thus increasing the swingweight (probably bringing the swingweight back to where it was with the midsize grip at the 1/2” longer length).

All things considered, the net effect is likely to be negligible, and you are also likely to gain a bit of additional control and accuracy with the shorter shaft length.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

28 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I hate to disagree with Jamie, but in reality that shaft WILL play a bit stiffer after you butt-trim it. However, the difference should be VERY minor. The one thing that will counteract that slightly additional stiffness is that you will be using a thinner, and thus slightly lighter, grip on the cut-down shaft, which will lower the club’s balance point slightly, thus increasing the swingweight (probably bringing the swingweight back to where it was with the midsize grip at the 1/2” longer length).

All things considered, the net effect is likely to be negligible, and you are also likely to gain a bit of additional control and accuracy with the shorter shaft length.

This is what I'm hoping for for sure

• LTDx 9* TOUR AD-VR 6x
  • ODYSSEY VERSA 3 TS
18 hours ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I could be wrong but cutting it shorter and putting the same grip on without changing the head weight will make the club swing weight lighter and inherently feel slightly stiffer. Probably not enough to notice at half an inch but you won’t know how it will affect you until you do it

Maybe a pro would notice a difference. But a normal human being, LOL not a chance!

Incredible recovery shots are set up by an equally incredible miss.

D-    Cobra Aerojet 8.0 Hzrdus Blue S.

FW-  Callaway Mavrik 3&5 wood

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Callaway Epic forged E19 4-GW

Taylormade MG 3 56 degree 10 bounce (personal grind to 6 degrees or so)

Cameron Furtura F5r  / Odessey Ai One Three T

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

3 hours ago, sanzo said:

Lie angle-  I know lie angle is more important in the irons ,but does cutting a driver shaft down  changed the lie angle too and  does this matter a whole lot?

The static lie angle does not change since you aren’t bending the lie angle.  Dynamic lie angle may change but that will depend on how you sole the club. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Mike10487 said:

Maybe a pro would notice a difference. But a normal human being, LOL not a chance!

Some regular humans will notice. It all depends on how sensitive one is to weight changes. This perception that non pros aren’t affected by things is one of several notions that needs to die in the golfing world

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, Mike10487 said:

As RB stated some non pros can tell a difference. I assure you I can tell a swingweight difference taking a half an inch off my driver if I don’t adjust.   Also the op said the shaft was already on the verge of feeling too stiff so he may very well notice the “extra stiffness” from lighter swing weight. 

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

22 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Some regular humans will notice. It all depends on how sensitive one is to weight changes. This perception that non pros aren’t affected by things is one of several notions that needs to die in the golfing world

Ok maybe I should clear this statement up. I apologize to some regular albeit "very sensitive" humans.  LOL 

Yes, if you take 1" off the butt, you will feel a difference in swing weight. If you take a 1/4" it might change from D1 to a D0. I personally cannot tell the difference between D-1 and D-0.  A D-2 to a D0. Yes, I can feel that as well.  Now the same 1/4" off the tip makes a world of difference in feel to me. Most golfers do not even understand or know what their driver swing weight is. You will however hear them say "man that's light, man that feels heavy" when trying a new club. So that furthers your point and which I've never even thought about.  I've never tested a tip trim for swing weight changes. Sounds like an interesting test for someone..... 

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

21 minutes ago, Mike10487 said:

Ok maybe I should clear this statement up. I apologize to some regular albeit "very sensitive" humans.  LOL 

Yes, if you take 1" off the butt, you will feel a difference in swing weight. If you take a 1/4" it might change from D1 to a D0. I personally cannot tell the difference between D-1 and D-0.  A D-2 to a D0. Yes, I can feel that as well.  Now the same 1/4" off the tip makes a world of difference in feel to me. Most golfers do not even understand or know what their driver swing weight is. You will however hear them say "man that's light, man that feels heavy" when trying a new club. So that furthers your point and which I've never even thought about.  I've never tested a tip trim for swing weight changes. Sounds like an interesting test for someone..... 

swingweight and total weight are measurements that some care about more than others. For some me included wish the whole swingweight thing would go away. who cares if someone knows their swingweight or total weight of their club. It’s not an important value to know when you hold or swing a club and can fee that it’s too light or too heavy. Feel is a bigger part to how we swing the club than some want to give it credit for and think that all that matters is some number on a scale.

yes for some even a single swing weight point can be felt. And yes for some the total weight of a club can feel light or heavy. Just because it takes ore of change for you to feel a difference doesn’t mean everyone is that way or that some aren’t sensitive. It’s still a real thing for the regular golfer and not some phenomenon that only the elite golfers can tell something is off. Yes they are probably more sensitive to a change than a regular golfer. Painting broad strokes about anything in golf is usually a bad thing because we are all unique in our preferences and sensitivities.

Amateurs can see and be affected by how a club sits just like a pro. And if it looks off it will affect their swing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Has anyone ever tipped a shaft and tested the swing weight changes? 

Srixon ZX MkII 2 iron

Maxfli Tour and Tour X

9 minutes ago, Mike10487 said:

Has anyone ever tipped a shaft and tested the swing weight changes? 

The changes will be very similar to butt end trimming.   There won’t be much of a weight difference between 1” off the butt or 1” off the tip and will be more of a length thing changing the swing weight

Maybe slightly related to this post...I recently ordered a new driver & shaft with the instructions to trim the shaft down 1" on a stiff shaft. When it finally arrived the shaft was cut down 2.25" to an overall length of 43". I'm short 5'6"...how much will that effect the new driver, having it cut down so far? Any advice would be great, as shaft properties are very new to me. Thanks

Love the game, try to get out a couple times a week. Been at it for about 25yrs...still waiting to get better

19 minutes ago, Heater said:

Maybe slightly related to this post...I recently ordered a new driver & shaft with the instructions to trim the shaft down 1" on a stiff shaft. When it finally arrived the shaft was cut down 2.25" to an overall length of 43". I'm short 5'6"...how much will that effect the new driver, having it cut down so far? Any advice would be great, as shaft properties are very new to me. Thanks

Was it 1” tip trim based on OEM instructions and then. Butt cut to desired length? 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Idk what end the trim was made on, it was done by Ping & delivered at 43". I had ordered the customized club to my preferences, but the trim was supposed to be 1", not 2.25" as it said on the spec card that came with the club.

Love the game, try to get out a couple times a week. Been at it for about 25yrs...still waiting to get better

4 minutes ago, Heater said:

Idk what end the trim was made on, it was done by Ping & delivered at 43". I had ordered the customized club to my preferences, but the trim was supposed to be 1", not 2.25" as it said on the spec card that came with the club.

Probably butt trimmed.  I don’t know what you asked for or how the order was specified.   If you species an overall length there may have been a disconnect on shaft length versus playing length.   The shaft should play a slight bit stiffer than if it was 1.25” longer and probably not something most people would notice.   While not the topic of the thread, if you we fit into a club 1.25” longer then you will possibly have contact issues.  

On 4/17/2024 at 4:10 PM, Heater said:

Hmm  this sounds like what you should do is go back up where you bought it and tell them they have not given you the club you paid for, if it is now too short for you then tell them it's not what you ordered and they got it wrong and make sure you do get the proper lenght you Wanted    - for the first time ever , tomarrow , I'm actually going to the store to check what they have in Wilson stock for fitting  even before any fitting I know I will want 1.25 inches off the driver lenght, dont know much about swing weight ect  but sounds like if will screw it all up  but sure it's always just trial and error with me