Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

Any tips for someone looking to regrip their own clubs

If you haven't already, I'd suggest following Elite Fit Golf/Mobil Club Maker on You Tube.  He has great videos that are simple, easy to follow and full of useful club making tips. 

The video below inspired me to start regripping clubs myself.  Living in Key West, we don't have basements and space is a premium.  It was difficult to justify committing a space dedicated for regripping.  Then I saw this video:

Portable Regripping Station

The engineer in me saw a few inexpensive improvements that could be made.  For example, instead of pushing against a wall, why not add a lip so you can push against a table edge.  I also build a simple sliding support for the club head to rest on.  This is what I ended up with.

GrippingStationOutofShed.jpg.be1c41090532c026440598b52b568d5a.jpg  GripStationwithironlaserfromside.jpg.1af4c848b1fb0c219ea6c4bf58b805e1.jpg

I store it in my shed (seen on the right) up above a window.  When it's time to regrip clubs I clamp it on this table, unlatch the sliding support and attach the drip tray.  I also purchased a simple laser level seen sitting on the clamp.  It helps me level the overall all device during the set up and helps me get the club face straight up and down.   That's especially useful with establishing that 90 degree relationship between putter face and putter grip flat section. 

When I'm done, the drip tray pops off, the clamps are removed, and the sliding support locks back into position ready to return to the shed.  My other gripping accessories go in a bin which fits on top of the fixture when stored.  

It's very simple, fairly inexpensive and takes up very little space.

If I can add one useful tool that I don't think has been mentioned.  I'd suggest getting a grip removal tool like this:

image.png.b9943fb6356147eac90e583e05893eeb.png

For around $20, I found it easy to use and has saved more than a couple grips from having to be cut off.  With a little grip solvent and a little patience, you can save grips that maybe didn't go on exactly as you planned.  I first used it when a friend got a new Scotty Cameron putter, wanted to put on a different grip but wanted to save the original grip.  Within less than two minutes, we had the grip off with no damage.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I wanted to follow up to my prior post (somewhere in this chain) with an update, now that I’ve successfully changed my grips. Overall, it was super simple and took a little over an hour to do my irons. There was a bit of a learning curve, but it’s easy to get the hang of. I used one of the grip saver / removal tools to remove the old grips that were still in decent shape. This was probably the most time consuming part to wiggle the grips off. From there I used a razor and some denatured alcohol to remove the tape and residue. Putting on the tape and grips was very easy and I didn’t encounter any issues at all. I used probably 3oz of solvent, which was adequate. 

Callaway apex 21 dcb irons

Paradym driver & 6 hybrid / stealth2 4 hybrid

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 putter 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, ce05krug said:

I wanted to follow up to my prior post (somewhere in this chain) with an update, now that I’ve successfully changed my grips. Overall, it was super simple and took a little over an hour to do my irons. There was a bit of a learning curve, but it’s easy to get the hang of. I used one of the grip saver / removal tools to remove the old grips that were still in decent shape. This was probably the most time consuming part to wiggle the grips off. From there I used a razor and some denatured alcohol to remove the tape and residue. Putting on the tape and grips was very easy and I didn’t encounter any issues at all. I used probably 3oz of solvent, which was adequate. 

Super cool man. I hadn’t really done any research into saving previous grips, fun little sidebar from the comments. Definitely saved a few things from thread for my next grip switch, it’s an addiction now. 

Edited by wcgalley

Driver - PXG 0211 Gen4

3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha B21

4 Hybrid - Wilson D9

7 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 921

7iron-PW - Srixon ZX5

Wedges - Takomo 52*, Vokey 56* & 60*

Putter - Cleveland HB Soft Premier 11

Finally finished shortening and regripping the irons and a putter for my father . Also decided to add a 5 wood to my bag to threw an mmc on that too.   IMG_1037.jpeg.4fed49c4b068b7e2fe95b108c0ed584e.jpeg

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos Cobra LTDx 5 wood w/hzrdous im10 shaft
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

• 3 weeks later...

Re-grip golf clubs is the kindergarten of golf club repair, before you'll get into other parts of the repair and maintenance for golf clubs.

You won't need all the stations and clamps and vices.  The basic tool is a station/vice for the beginners if you must,  but we had changed grips in the parking lot in the past without all the "tools".

If you go with the tape and solvent route, remember to use lots of solvent.  I use air compressor now and will not look back.   It is like using a graphite composite tennis racket vs, wood framed tennis racket.  Just make sure you get a compressor which can power the air tools, so it can also be used for sanding, cutting, buffing.........

For those who do not want to get their hands dirty, they can support their local golf shop by having this done for them.  I can go through the whole bag in 30 minutes from removing old grips to installing the new ones, no need to go back to the golf shop in a day or two.  Plus the average rate for installing grips is about $3 a piece now.  

I still mow my own lawn and perform other chores around the house just like my father did, so working on the golf clubs is a joyful hobby for me.

Edited by release

On 5/11/2024 at 7:11 PM, jayyarr said:

Finally finished shortening and regripping the irons and a putter for my father . Also decided to add a 5 wood to my bag to threw an mmc on that too.   IMG_1037.jpeg.4fed49c4b068b7e2fe95b108c0ed584e.jpeg

I use the same grips....love them

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS