Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

PGA Championship 2024

Splatt

G’day Golfers,

image.pngAnd just like that the second major of the year is upon us….

The PGA Championship is normally pretty spicy on its own, but this year the scene is set for this to be one of the hottest PGA Championship ever with several exciting storylines converging. Think, the last wing on an episode of Hot Ones. That hot!

We’ve got:

·         The defending champ coming off a win and looking in form

·         The current world number 1 coming off several wins and in form

·         The current world number 2 coming off back-to-back wins and in form

·         Several saucy invitations

Lets get stuck in!!!

image.png

Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Kentucky will play host to the PGA Championship for the fourth time, although, the course has seen lots of changes through the years.
This year the course will play as a 7,609 yard, par-71, an entirely different course from when Valhalla first open it’s doors in 1986 as a par-72 at just over 7,000 yards.
The last time Valhalla hosted the PGA Champion was back in 2014 and it was won by Rory McIlroy (more on him in a second), but the course is a different beast now as it saw extensive renovations at the tournaments completion.
The teeing areas and fairway turf were changed from bentgrass to zeon zoysia, which is a greenkeeper’s dream as it’s much easier to manage, but it also allows the course to play firmer and faster, ideal for a modern Major Championship.
And as is tradition these days, length has been added to several holes.

image.png

Unlike The Masters last month, this major will actually count towards the winners career record because Taylor Gooch is in the field. No asterixis this time!
Several LIV golfers have been given special invitations to this years PGA Championship, players that without the invite would have unfortunately missed out.
Those players include:

·         Patrick Reed

·         Joaquin Niemann

·         Taylor Gooch

·         Dean Burmester

·         Lucas Herbert

·         Adrian Meronk

·         David Puig

Tiger Woods has also accepted an invite to the PGA Championship, which is not surprising as we will generally only see him at The Majors these days.

And not to forget, one of the feel good storylines from last year, Michael Block, The PGA Professional who finished in the top-15 last year, will return!

Last year, Brooks Koepka, coming off a near win at The Masters, won his third PGA Championship, beating Scottie Scheffler and Viktor Hovland by two shots at Oak Hill in Rochester, New York.
Koepka joined famous company with a third PGA Championship joining Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods as the only players to win the PGA Championship 3 times.
Brooks started the day with a 1 shot lead and remained steady on a pressure filled final round. Birdies on 2 and 4 started the day off on the right foot for Brooks, but back-to-back bogeys on 6 and 7 opened the door for Hovland and Scheffler, but Brooks, like the true Major hunter that he is, steadied the ship and a 2 under back 9 sealed his 3rd title.

image.png

Field highlights

·         Scottie Scheffler – Confirmed back in the field after his wife, Meredith, gave birth to their first child. Scheffler has had around a month off tending to his personal life, but I’m sure he will come back as he left. Scottie’s recent record is absolutely incredible, in his last 5 events he has won 4 of them, including The Masters, and the one he didn’t win he finished 2nd  by only 1 shot. Despite everything else going on in the world of professional golf Scottie remains the man to beat by a wide margin. All everyone else can hope for is that he’s a bit rusty after a month off and that his new born has made him very sleep deprived.

·         Brooks Koepka – The defending champ and certified Major hunter. Brooks has hit form at the right time coming off a win at his last LIV event at LIV Singapore. Brooks has said in the media he was very p*ssed off with his performance at The Masters last month and set out to change how he prepped for the next majors. The results have been noticeable straight away so if anyone can stop the dominance of Scottie Scheffler, Koepka might be the man.

·         Rory McIlroy – Another player that has hit some good form at the right time is world number 2, Rory McIlroy. With back-to-back wins in his last 2 tournaments, including last weeks Wells Fargo, Rory is primed and ready to end a 10 year drought in Major Championship. Two things look very promising to Rory; firstly, Quail Hollow where Rory won the Wells Fargo last week is incredibly similar to Valhalla, scarily so; secondly, the last time the PGA Championship was held at Valhalla the winner was none other than Rory McIlroy. If Rory can maintain the form he has had the last fortnight then he’s sure to be in the final pairing on Sunday.

·         Xander Shauffele – Xander is playing some fine golf at the moment…. For the first 3 days anyway. He’s had a habit of playing himself into the lead heading into the final round only to tank it and end up placing 2nd or worse. Twice this year, once at The Players and again last week at the Wells Fargo, Xander has had the lead after round 3 only to fire an average final round compared to the field and finish 2nd. Last year, Xander finished T-18 at the PGA Championship at Oak Hill. I’m sure Xander will get himself into some of the hypothetical conversations for this years win, but he’s gotta get over that final round fever to stand a chance.

·         Ludvig Aberg – The young Swede has exploded onto the scene since he turned pro last year, so much so it’s hard to believe this is only his 2nd career Major. Aberg has played 10 events this year and hasn’t missed a cut yet, he’s also had 2 runner-up finishes including 1 at The Masters last month, so he isn’t fazed by the pressure and status of the event. Along with his 2-runner-up finished, Aberg has had 5 top-10’s and 9 top-25’s so far this season. Like Xander, I’d expect Aberg to get himself into the conversation and play himself into contention.

The rest of the field can be found here:https://www.pgachampionship.com/news-media/articles/2024-pga-championship-field-list

image.png

Golfers, this Major is building up to be an absolute barn buster of an event!
If all the right things happen we could have a very close final round in which the world number 1, world number 2, the defending champ, AND Taylor Gooch are all battling for the trophy!

I’m pumped!
If only the first round was starting tomorrow!

SPLATT

image.png

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

Thanks for sharing this. It really seems primed for a heavyweight battle with all these big names in top form. Can’t wait. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

I really like Rory's chances. I know Scotty is on a heater but I think his becoming a dad will take some time to adjust to which for him probably means a measly top-10, lol. My money is on Xander as he's been constantly on the hunt but hasn't yet been able to reach the summit. His time is coming. My dark horse is Homa. He always seems to be hanging around but putting together 4 consecutive rounds has been his bugaboo. Would really like to see him get his first major.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Always hard to bet against Scottie, but I would love to see Bryson win another major or Aberg get his first…Rory has crushed my fantasy pool too many times to get my hopes up. 

Hogan GS Driver/3 wood

Hogan FT Worth 15 Irons

Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Odyssey Milled Putter

OnCore Elixir and Avant Balls

Interested to see if Scottie hits a bump in the road with the new baby. It's happened to multiple players that were playing well at the time and I'll be curious how well he can compartmentalize things.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

last week Rory looked the best he has honestly looked in years from a killer instinct standpoint. Was a little disappointing it was also paired with Xander throwing up on himself. I still think Scottie is gonna come back and win it though. Even with Rory looking this good Scottie is far and away the best player in the world rn. 

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos Cobra LTDx 5 wood w/hzrdous im10 shaft
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Daca1442 said:

Got to be Talor Gooch. Isn’t he the best in the world😉

hey that masters win has an asterisk but this major won't because he's in it. 

Edited by jayyarr

My Picks are: Rory, Justin, Brooks, Scottie & Xander

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I genuinely hope the battle between Koepka, Scheffler, and McIlroy happens.  
It could be one of the best PGA's ever!

Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree

2 hours ago, Splatt said:

I genuinely hope the battle between Koepka, Scheffler, and McIlroy happens.  
It could be one of the best PGA's ever!

Championship Sunday would be unreal if this were to happen. Probably best major of the year in that situation. 

Caleb C.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3

Fairway Woods: Titeist 915 3 wood & 3 hybrid 

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 4-PW with KBS tour shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, and 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Rory McIlroy

Driver: Titleist 95 D3 10.5, Aldila Rogue
Wood:  Callaway Epic Zub Zero, Project X Even Flow
Hybrid: Ping Answer 20, TFC 800H 
Irons: Miura 57 3-PW - Mitsubishi OT 75 
Wedges: Miura Forged 51, 55, 60 - Project X
Putter:  Valgrine - Phoenix

I like Rory, Bryson, or Niemann honestly. Driving matters here. Rory averaged 340 just last week off of the tee. Still wouldn’t be surprised if Patrick Reed and Cam Smith ended up top-20 or better though. 

- TK

More so than most years, it feels like the favourites are going to take some beating

Not in order 

Cam Smith

Scheffler

Koepka

Aberg

McIlroy 

WITB

Callaway Rouge ST Max D driver

Titleist TSR2 fairway 

Titleist Tsi2 fairway

Titleist TS2 Hybrid

Titleist T300 irons

Vokey Wedges SM8

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist LinkMaster bag

Rory has momentum but the constant talk of his divorce will get to him and he will choke down the stretch, it's hard to bet against scottie right now but with a new baby it's hard to say how he'll play. Xander is plating good gof but seems to choke on Sundays. I'm going to say Brooks or morikawa if rory or scottie don't win. 

3 hours ago, "Mr. 72" said:

Rory filed for divorce, so he either wins by 5 or misses the cut!

This was my thought - or in the presser after he's done (whenever that is) he announces his going to LIV since he needs to give half of everything right now to her, gotta pay for the divorce! 🤣

My picks in no order: Brooks, Scottie, Fitzpatrick, Rahm. Long shot wish - rooting for Tiger or Phil, one of the old boys to get it. Was great when Phil pulled it off a few years ago showing us old guys can stick with the youngsters once in a while. 😉

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

Would love to see Aberg get that first major but what Scottie has done lately its hard not to pick him as the winner. With that said, I'll take Si Woo Kim.

Driver: Callaway Paradym *** (10.5), Kai'li White 60 X Stiff

3W: Cobra LTDx LS (16.5), Tensei 75 X Stiff

3i-PW: Ping i500, DG x100

50, 55, 60: Cleveland RTX4, DG s400

Putter: Boccieri Heavy Putter A3-M

Bryson.  Has had time to work out his irons.  Will be wet so carry distance off the tee matters and Bryson is maybe the only player that can keep up with Rory in that department.  

Driver - Titleist 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Vokey 52/56/60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.0

It's Max Homa break through week everyone. Or at least that's my wild thought.

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

Posted (edited)

I love homa and it would be great to finally see him take a major.  My out there pick for the weekend is min woo.  He has a solid game but hasn’t  fully shown it this season i think it’s time he wins something.

Edited by jayyarr

Tee times for the first 2 rounds

I am taking Rory to win, but I am keeping an eye for Brooks and Clark to make a good run at the leader board.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

Rory will be battling major demons and stronger competition this week. Will he make the cut?

Driver Ai Smoke Max 9* set at 8*

3 FW Ai Smoke

HW Ai Smoke

Hybrid G430

Irons Callaway Apex 21 Forged CB

Putter Ping Answer 2 PLD

Wedges Titleist Vokey SM9 56M and 60S

Ball, Vice Pro-Plus 

Handicap 6 

1 minute ago, Sonny Beach said:

Rory will be battling major demons and stronger competition this week. Will he make the cut?

I'm not buying that at all, if anything he'll probably be playing even freer. His personal life didn't impact his win last week and aside from news being made public now, I'm betting literally nothing has changed on his side. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S