From steel to graphite - thoughts?

Braehead

Hi everyone.  Having played a lot more golf this year and struggled a bit with elbow tendonitis as a result, I'm thinking of going for an iron fitting so I can try some graphite shaft options.  I'm currently playing KBS Tour Lite shafts and have previously used Steelfibre i110cw's.  When I was fitted for my 2023 P770's the Steelfibres were not available as an option.  The fitter also suggested I wasn't getting enough spin with them either.  

I'm 55 now and have to admit there are more aches and pains these days, so I'm just trying to make the game easier on my body.  I've already started my Fred Couples transition and dropped my 5i for 5h, but I'm not ready to drop the 6i yet.  I'm still playing to a respectable 3.8 index and carry my 7i 150-155 yards here in frozen Scotland.  

Has anyone else been through this change recently?  What did you end up doing?  Locally the fitters are all tied to a limited number of manufacturers so I'll have to rely on what they offer, but from what I can see, Mizuno looks to have the best range of no-upcharge graphite options.  Alternatively, I travel to another fitter who I know has component deals and can fit shafts and heads independently.  

Driver: Ping G430LST, Kaili White S

3 Wood: Ping G430Max, Alta Stiff

3H: Callaway Paradym, Tour AD-DI 8S

4&5H: Callaway Apex Pro, Tour AD-DI 8S

6-PW: Taylormade P770 ('23 model), KBS Tour Lite S

50/54/60: Vokey SM9, KBS Tour Lite S 

Putter: Toulon Atlanta with KBS OneStep shaft

Ball: ProV1x (or Wilson Staff Model X)

I’ve played graphite iron shafts for a couple of years now and have not found any negatives. 

:ping-small: G430 LST 10. on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 Max 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: iCrossover 3i on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small:  iCrossover 4i  on Graphite Design ADDI 7S 

:ping-small:  i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90 S 

:vokey-small: SM9 54° & 58° on :truetemper: Wedge 

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 on :accra: White

:L.A.B.: LINK1on     T P T    Putter        (on order)

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

4 minutes ago, RoverRick said:

I’ve played graphite iron shafts for a couple of years now and have not found any negatives. 

Has it always been the TGI 90's that you've played?  I've had a lot of success with KBS shafts (Tour, Tour Lite and 90's) over the last 15 years so was wondering about them as an alternative.  

I went from steel on my old set to graphite on the Vice irons and found it a change for the best. Works better for my swing speed and found that they are a little lighter.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

I changed mid season. Went from my Project X IO shafts which I still have a link to the Accra TZ 85i and am not about to look back. 

Ball flight didn't change drastically, but the effort, timing and in the end fatigue factor has played a key role in making me wish I had made the switch a lot sooner. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

No direct issues with graphite - the only thing I find is the transition to wedges - I'm dyed in the wool Dynamic Gold from this perspective. For pros and cons of each:

Steel Pros:

• Price
  • Durability
  • Consistency
  • Options
  • Easier prep for building/gripping etc
  • Virtually maintenance free

Steel Cons:

• Weight
  • Shock absorbancy
  • Feel and spin from brand to brand is variable
  • Finish options limited

Graphite Pros:

• Lower weight
  • Greater shock absorbancy
  • Flex and profile options
  • Finish and colour options

Graphite Cons:

• Price
  • Durability
  • Careful attention to maintenance to prevent wear or scratches
  • Careful attention to prep for building/gripping etc
  • Butt OD on brand to brand is variable
  • Not all brands in discrete and/or constant weight taper option

I put graphite in my PXGs and love them!  Won't ever go back to steel.  Gained height, lost the aches and pains from playing 200 plus rounds a year. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

Do it. Do it and don’t look back. 
do yourself a favor and get fitted, but do it. 

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

I turned 50 this spring and have been dealing with golfers elbow for years. I went for a fitting around my birthday and made the decision to give up my steel shafts for graphite. So after trying a few, I ended up with Recoil 95 F4 shafts in my Mizuno irons. As you mention, no one has as long of a list of no upcharge shafts and grips like Mizuno (I was shocked, honestly). I do wish I had known about the Fli-Hi direct iron replacement hybrids at the time of fitting. I probably would have grabbed one as a direct 4 iron replacement instead of a lot of guessing this summer with woods and hybrids.

After the summer with the new clubs, I'm not going back to steel. Graphite is so good these days and come in so many flavors, if a fitter can't find a good option, I question their fitting acumen.

I can from DG120 S300 shafts and tried researching on my own. It was a total failure on my part. Everything said the SF shafts are the best option coming from the DG products. Not for me it wasn't.

It's absolutely worth going for a fitting to get the best shaft option for you based on your swing and not what things sound like on paper or on YT videos. Good luck, and enjoy the process!

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

I have used graphite shafts for 15 years now. I am 70 year and strange as it may sound, I am thinking of going back to steel shafts. The main reason is the inconsistent torque. I would like to know if steel shafts come in a senior flex? 

P.A. Renaud - Driver - Mizuno STX 230 

Irons - Taylormade Stealth 5 to Sand wedge

Putter - Taylormade Spider GTX

70 years old - disabled due to accident in Albania during 30 years service in Canadian Army.

Donator/Veteran

Broken 80 several times

51 minutes ago, OhCanada1954 said:

I have used graphite shafts for 15 years now. I am 70 year and strange as it may sound, I am thinking of going back to steel shafts. The main reason is the inconsistent torque. I would like to know if steel shafts come in a senior flex? 

Inconsistent torque from shaft to shaft within your set of irons?  

1 hour ago, OhCanada1954 said:

How are you measuring the torque on the shafts?    

Yes,  steel shafts come in a variety flexes.  I personally wouldn't just  choose as shaft based on a letter the OEM paints on the shaft.  Flex is measured differently from OEM to OEM so a senior flex in one shaft could be a ladies or regular or something else in another shaft.   I would also suggest trying a shaft since they also have different weights and profiles which will influence how they perform for you and swing speed isn't a great measure for what shaft to pick.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Braehead said:

Hi everyone.  Having played a lot more golf this year and struggled a bit with elbow tendonitis as a result, I'm thinking of going for an iron fitting so I can try some graphite shaft options.  I'm currently playing KBS Tour Lite shafts and have previously used Steelfibre i110cw's.  When I was fitted for my 2023 P770's the Steelfibres were not available as an option.  The fitter also suggested I wasn't getting enough spin with them either.  

I'm 55 now and have to admit there are more aches and pains these days, so I'm just trying to make the game easier on my body.  I've already started my Fred Couples transition and dropped my 5i for 5h, but I'm not ready to drop the 6i yet.  I'm still playing to a respectable 3.8 index and carry my 7i 150-155 yards here in frozen Scotland.  

Has anyone else been through this change recently?  What did you end up doing?  Locally the fitters are all tied to a limited number of manufacturers so I'll have to rely on what they offer, but from what I can see, Mizuno looks to have the best range of no-upcharge graphite options.  Alternatively, I travel to another fitter who I know has component deals and can fit shafts and heads independently.  

In a few words; make the change and never look back.  I have a handful of posts in various threads on this topic/question and 100% recommend changing to composite shafts to help resolve joint pain issues.

In my case, after retiring and increasing play and practice a bunch, my left shoulder and elbow started killing me.  I used a forearm compression strap for awhile before a Canadian friend/golfing buddy in Yuma, suggested I make the change.  Did the fitting, purchased new sticks, and within 4 months... no pain.  I kept using the compression strap for awhile after that and finally ditched it as well.

While no certainty, my experience and what I've heard from others leaves me believing it's the exception that players won't find pain relief switching from steel.  Plus, the best part is that for most you give up no performance and many see improvement 👍.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

10 hours ago, Braehead said:

Has it always been the TGI 90's that you've played?  I've had a lot of success with KBS shafts (Tour, Tour Lite and 90's) over the last 15 years so was wondering about them as an alternative.  

No. I tried SteelFiber i95’s. (Great) Mitsubishi MMT 85’s (too lite) KBS TGI 80’s (too light) 90’s (just right) 105’s. (Fine) 

I guess the bottom line is there is always an ideal weight for each of us and you should be fit for them, unless you just spend money on different ones and see what works best. Probably cheaper in the long run to get fitted. 

I’ve been in graphite for a good 5 to 6 years at this point.  I tried going back to steel last year for a short period and I immediately made the switch right back to graphite. The feel and performance are key for me, along with not worrying about my golfers elbow coming back.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Halo XL 5i-DW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:EVNROLL: ER5 
:maxfli: Tour S

I think that with high swing speed and gravedigger forearms,
steel is still the most stable for irons and wedges,
although even steel players usually play graphite in the driving iron.

Graphite is physically kinder to us older players, I think,
but if I had Tour level swing speed and younger body parts,
I think that I'd still play steel.

I wouldn't gain anything from it playing it now.

1 hour ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I think that with high swing speed and gravedigger forearms,
steel is still the most stable for irons and wedges,
although even steel players usually play graphite in the driving iron.

Graphite is physically kinder to us older players, I think,
but if I had Tour level swing speed and younger body parts,
I think that I'd still play steel.

I wouldn't gain anything from it playing it now.

I would disagree with this statement that steel is more stable than graphite. Bryson DeChambeau uses graphite shafts in all his club precisely because they are more sable.  Bryson would certainly qualify as high speed player. Now, they are more expensive than steel, but cost is the only thing “better” about steel shafts. Provided you get the correct ones. 

11 hours ago, RoverRick said:

No. I tried SteelFiber i95’s. (Great) Mitsubishi MMT 85’s (too lite) KBS TGI 80’s (too light) 90’s (just right) 105’s. (Fine) 

I guess the bottom line is there is always an ideal weight for each of us and you should be fit for them, unless you just spend money on different ones and see what works best. Probably cheaper in the long run to get fitted. 

Fitting booked for October 23rd.  

Good topic and great replies! I'm approaching 80, and while graphite shafts are not an absolute necessity for me, I have played them for years. My last steel shafts were a lightweight Nippon; they were very good. But I found more graphites with low kick point, higher launch, and more flex with a proper weight for my weaker, slower swing speed. Best have been Project X and Aldila Ascent, I believe. Best, -Marv

I made the switch from KBS Tour Lite to the Aerotech SteelFiber shafts seamlessly.  Butter soft feel, less hand shock on off center hits and better distance and feel.  Highly recommend you at least try them - especially if you're over 50!

Chris Cejka

I think the mindset has to change on graphite being for the "old".  The technology and ability to get any profile in graphite is unreal these days. When we have one of the world's fastest swings playing graphite, it shows the advancements. And let's be honest, the way Brysons brain works, if they weren't producing they would be gone. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

31 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

Good topic and great replies! I'm approaching 80, and while graphite shafts are not an absolute necessity for me, I have played them for years. My last steel shafts were a lightweight Nippon; they were very good. But I found more graphites with low kick point, higher launch, and more flex with a proper weight for my weaker, slower swing speed. Best have been Project X and Aldila Ascent, I believe. Best, -Marv

Awesome Marv, I want to be golfing at 80 too so need to take care of myself at 55 to get there.

I got graphite shafts two years ago when I bought a new set of PXG irons.  I thought they'd help me maintain my distance as my swing speed decreased (I'm 71 now).  And sure enough, my distances are about the same as they always had been.  I can't know for certain that the graphite shafts are the reason I've had no loss in distance, but I suspect that's the case.

Darryl Konter

54 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I think the mindset has to change on graphite being for the "old".  The technology and ability to get any profile in graphite is unreal these days. When we have one of the world's fastest swings playing graphite, it shows the advancements. And let's be honest, the way Brysons brain works, if they weren't producing they would be gone. 

Yes, exactly.  These aren't your dad's dad's composite shafts 😊.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I just switched to graphite this year on my irons.  I thought it was time to see if the graphite shafts would ease contact interaction with the turf.  It's seems like the graphite is less harsh.  The performance is very good. Dispersion rates are tighter and distance is slightly greater.  Make sure you get fitted because there are a lot options to fit what you desire in launch angles and feel. 

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

On 9/29/2024 at 4:49 AM, Braehead said:

Great thread - for a number of years I played a set of TM SLDR irons (5-PW) in stock graphite - loved them.  At 64 I decided to try steel again but kept the wedges in graphite (Recoil F3’s R flex 82 gram - which l love when I did the virtual fitting for the INDI wedge test).  Still playing lightweight steel shafts in the semi-custom set I built/purchased (built Maltby TS1 8-Pw w/Apollo 85 gt shafts; purchased Edel SMS 7i and later 6i w/KBS Tour Lite 95 g shafts - all R flex).  TBH - I am thinking about refitting the irons with Recoils that would match the INDI wedges - then again…these are playing well as is, maybe I just need to stop tinkering and just play.

EDIT TO ADD:  BTW I remembered after I posted that I still have a set of Callaway Diablo Edge Irons (5-Pw) with stock graphite shafts that I got for a 1/2 a song ($35 off the 'bay) back before I got the SLDR's.  They had ratty grips and no one wanted them because they were really ugly - which means I have more in the grips than in clubs.  The neat part is that they are a mix of R (5 & 6) and A (8-Pw) flexes.  While I never loved the Callaway head and the super offset - they are still some fun clubs to hit. In fact when its super wet, the fat soles are less prone to digging.  The clubs are predictably fun and at the end of the round they still feel fresh and light.   

Edited by Willie T
added content

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Being a senior, I changed to graphite shafts in my irons close to 3 years ago. I’m totally glad that I did, more accuracy, more distance, and just a much better match for my swing speed. Not to mention less sting on mishits, and they’re much more comforting to the arthritis in my hands! 

Callaway Paradym 12* Driver, Callaway Paradym 3 & 5 fairways, Ping G30 4-PW, Cleveland 48*,54*,58* CBX wedges, Scotty Newport putter.

15 hours ago, RoverRick said:

I would disagree with this statement that steel is more stable than graphite. Bryson DeChambeau uses graphite shafts in all his club precisely because they are more sable.  Bryson would certainly qualify as high speed player. Now, they are more expensive than steel, but cost is the only thing “better” about steel shafts. Provided you get the correct ones. 

That could be totally correct.

Intuitively, it doesn't seem that way to me, 
but it could certainly be true.

In any case, it's not something that I personally have to worry about too much.
I have both, and I can enjoy the fresh air and the company of my friends
playing with either.

I did a fitting a couple years ago as I was getting back into golf and was fit into graphite shafts.  But the more I played them the less I liked them.  I felt like I could not tell what my bad shots where coming from due to lack of feedback and feel when I made bad contact so it was hard to tell if I was getting proper strikes.  Got refitted this year as I had the chance to move into the T350's based on the good reviews I was seeing a a little puck in some trade in value I had at a local shop.  Tried both graphite and steel this time around and found a good lighter steel steel shaft that maintained my club head speed but still gave me the shot feedback I was looking for.  I feel like based on my experiences in switching as someone who is trying to improve there ball striking and there swing consistency steel is the way to go but if you are looking for a bust in swing speed and have a consistent ball strike I can see graphite really haloing you do some damage.

Patrick Dawes