Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Nippon modus 3 tour 120 or super peening blues

Ruckus10

Wondering if anyone has hit both these shafts and which one they prefer. I'm debating which one to get shafted. My current 950 gh's tend to balloon on me in the wind and it's really too light of a shaft for my liking. I tend to swing too fast and in order to get the 950s to really work with me is if I consciously swing with a smoother tempo.

Thanks

Driver - 9.5 Cobra Amp, 9.5 Bridgestone J40 430

3 Wood -Royal Collection JP104

3 Hybrid - Royal Collection JP104

Irons - Onoff forged

Wedges - 50, 56, 60 Royal Collection Dual Bite BK

Putter - Yamada Shogun

MGS Review For Modus 3 --> http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/5618-nippon-modus-3-iron-shaft-review/

GolfSpy Matt would be the guy that could probably answer this question.

I have only hit the Blues one time, didn't feel to terrible don't recall much else about it.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Flip over to the otherside of the site and read this.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-wrong-shaft-flex/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mygolfspy+%28MyGolfSpy+-+Top-Secret+Golf+News+Everyday%21%29

It is proof that no one can answer this question for you. I hate that because I always like give good advice but no one can give you the advice other than to say go hit them on the LM. I gamed the wrong shaft for years, and then when I went to the fitter they still tried to give me the wrong shafts.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Rick is 100% right, but, this being a golf equipment forum, I'll tell you what I can:

For me, the numbers between the Modus 3 and the KBS Tour weren't that different. Modus 3 did spin a little more, but damn does it feel smooth and crisp. Can't comment on the SPB's though, sorry.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-labs-wrong-shaft-flex/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mygolfspy+%28MyGolfSpy+-+Top-Secret+Golf+News+Everyday%21%29

It is proof that no one can answer this question for you. I hate that because I always like give good advice but no one can give you the advice other than to say go hit them on the LM. I gamed the wrong shaft for years, and then when I went to the fitter they still tried to give me the wrong shafts.

OT sorry

I am still trying to figure out if those distance numbers are carry or total... something sounds way off about it if they are total for the high swing speed player.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

I read this and it has left me more confused than ever. I talked to a fitter and he said the modus 3 played stronger than the spb's which shocked me a bit since it is a lighter shaft. I might just o with the spb's since I have yet to read a bad review on them and sell them if it's not for me. Thanks or the input guys.

Irons - Onoff forged

Putter - Yamada Shogun

I read this and it has left me more confused than ever. I talked to a fitter and he said the modus 3 played stronger than the spb's which shocked me a bit since it is a lighter shaft. I might just o with the spb's since I have yet to read a bad review on them and sell them if it's not for me. Thanks or the input guys.

I know nothing about this particular shaft. And since Matt had reviewed it he will know better than I. I had just finished reading this on the other side when I came to the forums and saw your post. Other than my personal experience with shaft fittings, in general and now confirmed by MyGolfSpy Labs, I can not contribute to your actual question. I just wanted to provide the Labs link in case you did not see it on the other side. The only thing I could say is the 950's did not work too great for me, I had these in a set of Titleist 735's. But that was not your question.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Meah, I'll leave it at this note... Shaft fitting mostly comes down to transition load and release factor.

A person with a 85mph SS on a 6iron for example would traditional get told a stiff flex shaft.

Smooth Transition / High Release (light all around) --> I would try an Regular type of shaft instead

Average Transition / release middle (Medium all around) --> Stiff might work but you might also consider a R+

Hard Transition / Low Release (Heavy all the way) --> You might need something like a S+ soft stepped one time or a X soft stepped 2 times going to come down to feel for you what feels best.

Average Transition / Low (Medium Load / hard release) --> Stiff is going to work fine most likely

Hard Transition / High release (hard load / soft release) --> Stiff probably feel better and not feel over powered

Hard Transition / Middle Release (hard load / medium release) --> Stiff probably works for you

That is just sort of a stab at my guess about it but I am not professional club fitter. In the end you need something that will either help you or not hurt you.

In my case I have a average transition / hard release, compile that with the 94-96mph SS on a 6iron I need something that will not hurt my swing, I had issues with Stiff flexes flipping the head over creating draws. So I play all X-Stiff, They don't feel over harsh and have a firmer tip section to tone down the movement in the release.

This is just my experience....tried both those shaft and currently playing Modus 3 in my Yururi flatback.

IME Modus 3 feels softer to flex (soft butt/tip) and the launch is slightly higher than SPBue but much lower than KBS Tour. SPBlue played great into the wind (similar to C-Taper).

As others have mention, a lot will depends on how you load the clubs... for aggressive swinger, I would suggest SPBlue and Modus 3 for a smooth swinger...

My 2cent...

This is just my experience....tried both those shaft and currently playing Modus 3 in my Yururi flatback.

IME Modus 3 feels softer to flex (soft butt/tip) and the launch is slightly higher than SPBue but much lower than KBS Tour. SPBlue played great into the wind (similar to C-Taper).

As others have mention, a lot will depends on how you load the clubs... for aggressive swinger, I would suggest SPBlue and Modus 3 for a smooth swinger...

My 2cent...

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. My irons are all over the place right now because I can't seem to swing smoother that the 950s require. If the modus 3 is similar than Im definitely going with the sp blues. Plus I got a cheaper quote for those. I appreciate all the help.

Irons - Onoff forged

Putter - Yamada Shogun

Thanks. I fully enjoy this site. So much information for a golf fanatic like myself :P

Irons - Onoff forged

Putter - Yamada Shogun

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update to those wonderiing about the sp blues. Just got them back shafted with the sp blues in stiff and all I can say is wow. Just as smooth as the 950's but definitely lowered my launch. Went to the range and there was a breezy headwind and the sp blues didn't balloon like my 950s. Can't say anything about distance gain really since I wasnt paying much attention other than flight. weight reminded me more of the s300s but not as harsh.

Side note..I would like to give huge props to Chip Usher at chipandputt. Did a great job and was very responsive through this whole process. Would definitely use him again even though I had to ship my clubs to him since I'm in Chicago and he's in Georgia.

Irons - Onoff forged

Putter - Yamada Shogun

I'll be curious of your comparison of the Modus to the 950's - I'm LOVING the 950gh right now

I wish I could compare for you but it wouldn't be apples to apples unless I use the same heads. In my onoffs, the sp blues are great so far but only time will tell.

I liked how smooth the 950s were but I just found myself swinging too hard to the light weight. On top of that, if I really went after a ball, those balls would just balloon on me like no other. Can't count the number of times I'd go after it on par threes and just end up literally a few yards short due to the ballooning. I'm glad that you're liking yours though. Nippons are just some quality shafts.

Irons - Onoff forged

Putter - Yamada Shogun

Archived