Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New irons that Furyk has put in play!

TWShoot67

Furyk makes equipment changes, returns to winner's circle

By Jennifer Gardner

GPA Equipment Editor

Jim Furyk made a few changes in his bag at the Transitions Championship and it resulted in his first PGA Tour win in two years.

Furyk changed from his I 506 Forged Srixon irons to a new set that he helped the company design last year - the Z-TX Forged. He also found a driver he liked, the Callaway FT Tour. For Callaway, the win was the third successive for the FT Tour model.

"I actually had a new set of irons in this week and a new driver in play this week, and the irons were absolutely fantastic," Furyk said.

Furyk cracked a beloved Srixon driver at the end of 2006 and has been on a quest to find the perfect driver since then. At one point, he had a different driver in the bag for all four rounds of a tournament.

As well, Furyk set aside his Nickent 3DX hybrid (Nickent went bankrupt last year) and put a 19-degree Srixon hybrid in play.

Finally, Furyk pulled an old Scotty Cameron putter out of his closet that he hadn't used in roughly eight years. The prototype putter has "Jim Furyk 2000" engraved on it, so Furyk surmises the putter was made for him a decade ago.

"I'm pretty sure he made it for me in 2000," he said. "It's been in a closet for, I don't know, probably played it through 2000, 2001, maybe some of 2002."

And did you notice something odd about that putter grip? It's actually turned upside down, in a position that Furyk says fits his hands better.

"The bottom is on the top and the top is on the bottom. But still the flap is still on the front," he said. "I just cut off the bottom part of the grip, made it about eight and a half inches long, because my hands fir very comfortably in that and I core out the butt of it and turned it around and put the butt side on first."

© 2010 Golf Press Association. All Rights Reserved.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

The announcers were talking about the grip. It's a good idea, I wish I could do it even though I don't putt crosshanded. Next time I regrip my putter I am going to load up the tip end with tape.

I'm actually really sorry I missed seeing him win the tournament. It happens so infrequently...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Thats awesome about the grip! Wonder if that will catch on!

Guess as long as its comfortable!

I really really really hope not.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

And did you notice something odd about that putter grip? It's actually turned upside down, in a position that Furyk says fits his hands better.

"The bottom is on the top and the top is on the bottom. But still the flap is still on the front," he said. "I just cut off the bottom part of the grip, made it about eight and a half inches long, because my hands fir very comfortably in that and I core out the butt of it and turned it around and put the butt side on first."

© 2010 Golf Press Association. All Rights Reserved.

That's just weird. No thanks.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I bet the fact that he helped design the clubs plays a part in him liking them so much. Kinda hard to blame the clubs when you designed them, LOL.

Then you go to blaming the balls and the tee and the divot tool and you shoes etc...

Archived