Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Head to Head Testing - We Need Your Help

Tony Covey MGS

I will be brutally honest about it and say that I probably will never bag anything but one of the major brands. I really do not care if the others are better because it is a perception thing to me. I could probably say that I am not even interested in certain clubs from certain manufactures.

I would much rather read about head to head comparisons of Callaway GI vs Callaway player vs TMag GI vs TMag player etc. than including Wishon or Bobbies or whomever.

X2

...and if you're going with "Stock" offerings it would make sense to limit the test to clubs that are actually stocked. You could always farm out the obscure brands to forum members like the RBladez reviews.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

X2

...and if you're going with "Stock" offerings it would make sense to limit the test to clubs that are actually stocked. You could always farm out the obscure brands to forum members like the RBladez reviews.

I don't think several of those JDM companies would want an analytical type test farmed out, if I'm being honest. I can't see any of them sending a $750-$1200 driver to a few random forum members to get their opinions on them without any guarantee of consistent launch monitor data gathering, testing method, or any of the other variables involved. Am I saying that the forum members couldn't do it? Absolutely not, but what I am saying is they'd want controlled testing to ensure that their product is being tested fairly, and IMO, the only way to ensure that is to allow MGS to do the testing with their set methodology and variable control like they'll be doing with the ones that will be tested. Reviews are one thing, but this, from my understanding, will be data driven analysis.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't think several of those JDM companies would want an analytical type test farmed out, if I'm being honest........

...... Reviews are one thing, but this, from my understanding, will be data driven analysis.

I did say review...I meant test...and yes that's a big difference. I do believe though, that there are several core members here who could (and would) go out and get accurate testing data. Send all that data in to be compiled and presented. While I do whole heartedly agree that random would not be the way to go, hand-picking testers would work.

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

I did say review...I meant test...and yes that's a big difference. I do believe though, that there are several core members here who could (and would) go out and get accurate testing data. Send all that data in to be compiled and presented. While I do whole heartedly agree that random would not be the way to go, hand-picking testers would work.

True, but what's to say that everything would be even even if they hand picked testers. Variables such as different LM's, who set them up, ball used, etc all come in to play. From reading, MGS goes fairly scientific with all their data driven analysis making sure everything is as level as possible.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

True, but what's to say that everything would be even even if they hand picked testers. Variables such as different LM's, who set them up, ball used, etc all come in to play. From reading, MGS goes fairly scientific with all their data driven analysis making sure everything is as level as possible.

Maybe. I honestly don't know diddly about Launch monitors, so let me ask you this though......as long as the launch monitor settings (and balls) weren't changed between clubs....would it even matter? Seriously.....even if my monitor was off by 10 yards, as long as it's consistently off by 10y for every club tested, wouldn't you get the comparison you're after?

In other words if one monitor says I hit the Titleist 250y and the Ping 240y.....and another monitor says I hit the Titleist 260y and the Ping 250y........you can still see I hit one farther than the other......right?

In my bag, April 2023

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
Sun Mountain Cart Bag

Bridgestone, I was on staff with them a few years back and liked the J33R driver.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• 4 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

Just wanted to bump this and let you know that Product Requests/Invitations are going out today. I've got 14 companies on the list right now and we'll probably try and grow it.

Our requirements have caused us to eliminate some companies we might have liked to include because:

- with some component companies, there is no such thing as a 'stock' offering. You can't compare stock against stock when there is no stock

- some companies do not offer product that covers the whole of our fitting range (everyone offers something in the ballpark of 9.5 and a 10.5, but 8.5 and 11.5+ are more difficult to come by).

I'll keep you updated as we find out who will be participating in this test.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Did Krank find their way into the mix with their drivers? or Scor on teh Wedge end of things ?

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• SPY VIP

Did Krank find their way into the mix with their drivers? or Scor on teh Wedge end of things ?

We haven't made any definitive plans for wedge testing as of yet. I say that with the caveat that it's on our radar and I've already had conversations with people about using their outdoor facility. Should that come to fruition, Scor will absolutely be on the list.

As for Krank... They're on the list...Vinny knows the email is coming (I think he's really looking forward to it actually), so my strong suspicion is that Krank will be participating.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

Early returns have been decent (nobody has declined as of yet). I've had to loosen up the requirements just a bit based on what's available at retail. We'd rather see more companies involved than exclude drivers we know you're interested in simply because all ideal lofts may not be available.

This sounds neat

Twitter @angrygolfhulk

Instagram angrygolfhulkDriver-Callaway Razr Fit 9.5* Stiff3 Wood-Taylormade R9 15* StiffHybrids 3,4,5 Rocketballz RegIrons 6-Gap Rocketballz RegSW-Cobra Trusty Rusty 55*LW-Taylormade Rac Black 60*Putter-Odyssey Sabertooth 33"Back up irons-Taylormade Rac Muscleback Forged 5-GW Rifle Shafts 6.0

If you are still looking for something outside the mainstream, Maltby would be a good choice. I have a set of their irons that keep finding their way back in my bag. I've never tried any of their drivers, so it would be interesting to see how they match up. It's a lower cost alternative to the major brands.

Yes I'd be one of those that would give as detailed review as humanly possible and personally hereby nominate myself. :lol: Seriously thought it would be very nice to have the opportunity to test some of what some may say are obscure brands (JDM), but to someone like myself that are hard core equipment junkies this would be a truly wonderful endeavor!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Bridgestone, I was on staff with them a few years back and liked the J33R driver.

The J33R was one low spinning driver. I owned a few of those just happened to like my TM R510 DF Proto better. I actually wish I never sold my Bridgestone J33R, I could kick myself in the A$$. Would love to pull that baby back out and try that with the new TM Penta and see what results I'd have with that combo.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472