Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

PGA Minneapolis Airport! Cannot Wait For This!

GolfSpy Barbajo

I spend WAY too much time at this airport as it is, but this will make the waits a little more tolerable.  But I can hear the wife now...

"Your flight is a 7PM and you're leaving at NOON?...."

MSP Airport to Launch First-of-its-Kind Golf Lifestyle Facility
PGA%201.jpg?itok=jpBBAWMi
Photo: Courtesy PGA MSP Airport
The PGA of America and Wexford Golf are collaborating to open a golf lifestyle facility in the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport in March.

Golfing in Minnesota during the winter months just got easier.

The Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport is set to launch a 12,000-square-foot facility, called PGA MSP Airport, that's advertised as an interactive golf concept and offers food, drink and instruction. Those behind it say it's the first of its kind in any U.S. airport.

It's due to launch in March and will give travelers across the country a chance to brush up on their game while stopping in MSP's Terminal 1. It's good timing for the facility, too, since nearby Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska is set to host the Ryder Cup in 2016.

The PGA of America and Wexford Golf, a golf-development firm based in Minneapolis, collaborated on what organizers are calling a “golf lifestyle facility.” It will feature simulators, a virtual driving range and a putting green as well as retail and lounge areas.

Photo: Courtesy PGA MSP AirportPGA%202.jpg

PGA professionals will also be available for club fitting or practice sessions.

“The focus of PGA MSP is to engage both existing and new golfers in a fun and unintimidating environment staffed by the best in the business, PGA professionals,” said Joel Burger of Wexford Golf in a press release.

Champions' Grille will be in the facility, which also has an 84-seat bar.

Prices for lessons and golf offerings are available at the PGA MSP website.

Photo: Courtesy PGA MSP AirportPGA%203.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

"fun and unintimidating environment"

Yes, what could be more natural than getting groped by TSA and then taking a lesson in an airport terminal lounge on a simulator with rental clubs? LOL!

Golf is getting stoopid and desperate.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Yeah, I don't know how well the club fitting stuff will go, but this kinda seems awesome and a great way to kill time on a layover. If it has kind of a indoor TopGolf feel, I think it'll do well. I'll certainly check it out when I fly in to visit family.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

Guess I'm not as cynical - just looks like a fun way to kill time at the airport...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Hey... if was stuck in an airport anywhere and they had something even close to this I'd be there. Interesting idea for sure.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

If I get stuck in the airport I'm hitting the bar.  :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Now THAT would make a layover seem short! Do they intend for locals to visit the airport to go there or is it behind security in the terminals?

Sounds like a great place, but the airport location is hard to figure. If it's in a common area before security where anyone can walk in, then someone on a layover would have to come out and go back through security for the next flight. Just trying to figure out how many people will spend extra time at an airport beyond the necessary time it takes already. If I was a local, I wouldn't want to go to the airport and deal with parking to go to it.

But it would be awesome to have if you ended up stuck there for some reason.

I waited 4 hours in that airport for a connecting flight 18 months ago! I would go there!

I could have used this last year when I got stuck in in the San deigo airport for 12 hours. But I did find out that the ground is pretty comfortable lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Now THAT would make a layover seem short! Do they intend for locals to visit the airport to go there or is it behind security in the terminals?

The Lindbergh terminal at MSP has basically zero space before security. I think there's one bar/restaurant on this side of security. However, they have a very extensive shopping and restaurant area once you walk through security but before you get to whatever gate you're going to. I'd say it'll be in that space. So I wouldn't think you'd get much local traffic. Traffic from layovers and maybe even pre-flight people.

Whenever I fly out of there I get there the 1.5 hrs before like they say but generally get thru security in about 15-30 mins. It's usually pretty speedy. So I could certainly see spending 30 mins pre-flight killing time there.

Sounds like you know MSP well Tiba! From the pix this looks like it's above Ike's restaurant, just as you approach the C Gates area.

Since MSP is a Delta Hub, they do have lots of flyers with extensive layovers, so that'll be the target audience, and with a bar and restaurant included, Rev should be happy, too!

I'm flying out tomorrow afternoon, I'll wonder over and see if it's open yet.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sounds like you know MSP well Tiba! From the pix this looks like it's abive Ike's restaurant, just as you approach the C Gates area.

Since MSP is a Delta Hub, they do have lots of flyers with extensive layovers, so that'll be the target audience, and with a bar and restaurant included, Rev should be happy, too!

What would suck is if you wandered by it between flights and got all excited to check it all out just to realize your flight is boarding.

Sounds like you know MSP well Tiba! From the pix this looks like it's abive Ike's restaurant, just as you approach the C Gates area.

Yep! I'm lifetime Gold on Delta. That's 2+ million miles. Argh!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yeah, my mom lives in the twin cities and I visit about twice a year. I'm excited to check it out next time I'm there.

Yeah, my mom lives in the twin cities and I visit about twice a year. I'm excited to check it out next time I'm there.

Let me know the next time you're out - if you have some time we could plan some "field exercises." 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived