Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf Spy X - Outted !

PlaidJacket

This discussion could have and should have gone like this;

mr_divots: You shouldn't beg for money like that. You can get the money from sponsors.

X and the community: Ok. That may be true, but we decided that this was the option that reflects what MGS is and how we do things.

mr_divots: I don't agree.

X and the community: That's ok. You don't have to. 

But this is the internet. The place where nothing is easy and straight forward. Mr_D is ok. He actually has a point that would be perfectly correct in so many other situations. Just not this one. It's worth letting MGS try to do this their way.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've commented on this thread yet.  If not, it's because it's one that doesn't particularly interest me.

I'm one of this site's end-user consumers.  I've donated money to it in the past and I've certainly enjoyed my time here.   I've also tried to contribute.   I may contribute and participate more in the future if I like what I see.  I may not; I may go elsewhere or simply tune out altogether.   I'm under no obligation to stay, and I certainly don't feel I owe MGS any debt for "services rendered" any more than I owe ABC all my television allegiance just because I enjoy Modern Family.   MGS is just a "channel" delivering golf content.  

The only thing MGS should be concerned about is "will this idea work", or will it cause our "viewers" to change the channel?  If it doesn't work, oh well, they'll try something else.   No hard feelings either way.  I don't sense there is any chicanery going on with this "pledge drive", but I certainly don't like having to click through three dummy landing pages and having to declare "No, I don't want the truth!" every time I want to get back to this forum.   But that's okay -- I dislike many things that go on in other golf blogs MUCH more than I dislike this inconvenience.  (BTW, I've just started getting spam emails from GolfWRX about Titleist and Ping products.   I don't remember ever signing up for THAT privilege.)  

Yes, I would like to see a "Consumer Reports" for golf equipment that is independent of subscription dollars but I have no idea if MGS can pull off that transformation or even if they are the right people to do it.   But every company has a right to try any business model they choose to make ends meet.    Just as every end user has the right to shop elsewhere if they don't like what one store is offering.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Divots,

Do you ever listen to public radio? If so do you have issue with their fund raising campaigns?

Maybe I'm the oddball here who does, but my wife and I gladly donate for the opportunity to hear different, interesting, and honest stories. I don't see this situation as much different. They do not run advertisements as a way to give the listeners more programming and I appreciate that. I think it's a similar idea here.

However, I do agree that I would have zero problem with MGS taking ad money for banners. This does not in any way hurt my experience on other sites and would not here either.

Ultimately I think opinions on both sides have been heard. Part of me is glad divots made the posts he did as I was able to learn a lot about MGS that I did not know previously. And I appreciate MGS for not censoring. Might just be in a glass half full mood, but whatever, thanks guys!

• TM M1 430 w/ Speeder 757 X

TM Jetspeed w/ Fuji X 13.5*

TM UDI w/ Recoil 120 F4 21*

TM 2011 TP MBs 4-pw X100ti

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

TM Ghost Tour Black Monte Carlo

Pro V1

• 3 years later...

Happy Thursday Everyone!

I actually wasn't looking for something to bump today (was doing research for.....a thing) but this title was just too good to ignore!  I think it's safe to say that this site works and the donation plan is duly justified.  There was a little bit of cat fighting in the thread, but that's OK too since this is a place for discussions.  Enjoy!

Sent from #throwbackthursday

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Happy Thursday Everyone!

I actually wasn't looking for something to bump today (was doing research for.....a thing) but this title was just too good to ignore! I think it's safe to say that this site works and the donation plan is duly justified. There was a little bit of cat fighting in the thread, but that's OK too since this is a place for discussions. Enjoy!

Sent from #throwbackthursday

Thanks Stud....this has prompted me to kick in to the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Great pull Stud!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Wow this was an interesting last 30 minutes

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Very interesting thread and dayuuuummmm   Mr Divots was a piece of work!   He needs to get off the stump liquor and go in rehab.  Anyways great answers to some obvious troll like comments.   I think donating to this site is a great way to support a forum that meets all your needs.  It's a great community and there is tons of information to enjoy.  Great equipment info and all sorts of other topics.  Why wouldn't a member want to donate and support it?   It doesn't have to ruin your bank account as I'm sure even a modest amount is appreciated.   Just do it!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

This was a very interesting read, thanks for the bump!

Re: OG's comments about Divot's pushback on the fundraising campaign - I actually don't have a problem with anything he brought up. Could it have been worded better? Absolutely. But I think he made a lot of valid points, especially when you look at how other websites are funded and operate. 

I'm on a non-profit board. You almost always need to have someone that pushes back, even if all it does is make you re-think how you approach something. Can it be done with less vitriol? Yep. But hearing opposing viewpoints is never bad.

As far as the MGS side of things - I worked in telecom for 18 years, so I know what it costs to host a site of this size and with the traffic it gets. It ain't cheap, if you want the site to be up and running close to 100% of the time. Factor in staff stipends, equipment you need to use to test with, facilities... yeah that all adds up quick when you think about MGS as a whole organization, beyond just the website and the forum. 

I've personally seen a number of Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns go bad, mostly on the music side of things. Sometimes fans of a brand or band or whatever will happily donate without asking questions first or having all the info up front. Then 2 years later it's "hey where's the thing I funded??" and it's crickets. I am 100% NOT saying that would even come close to being the case here - in the years since this thread started we've all seen the benefit of MGS testing and information. However, asking questions up front and being curious/skeptical aren't always bad things.

OK I think I'm done. Can you tell that my morning coffee has just kicked in?? :D

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

This was a very interesting read, thanks for the bump!

Re: OG's comments about Divot's pushback on the fundraising campaign - I actually don't have a problem with anything he brought up. Could it have been worded better? Absolutely. But I think he made a lot of valid points, especially when you look at how other websites are funded and operate. 

I'm on a non-profit board. You almost always need to have someone that pushes back, even if all it does is make you re-think how you approach something. Can it be done with less vitriol? Yep. But hearing opposing viewpoints is never bad.

As far as the MGS side of things - I worked in telecom for 18 years, so I know what it costs to host a site of this size and with the traffic it gets. It ain't cheap, if you want the site to be up and running close to 100% of the time. Factor in staff stipends, equipment you need to use to test with, facilities... yeah that all adds up quick when you think about MGS as a whole organization, beyond just the website and the forum. 

I've personally seen a number of Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns go bad, mostly on the music side of things. Sometimes fans of a brand or band or whatever will happily donate without asking questions first or having all the info up front. Then 2 years later it's "hey where's the thing I funded??" and it's crickets. I am 100% NOT saying that would even come close to being the case here - in the years since this thread started we've all seen the benefit of MGS testing and information. However, asking questions up front and being curious/skeptical aren't always bad things.

OK I think I'm done. Can you tell that my morning coffee has just kicked in?? :D

Sure he had some valid points however the delivery of his opinion brought out the redneck on this country boy.   Those types of counter comments had a rub me wrong kind of feel.  I'm not a businessman so what the hell do I know about some of the things he was spouting.    

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Sure he had some valid points however the delivery of his opinion brought out the redneck on this country boy.   Those types of counter comments had a rub me wrong kind of feel.  I'm not a businessman so what the hell do I know about some of the things he was spouting.    

Totally valid OG. Having been on the Internet since the 90's I've learned that 99% of people will say something in writing that they most likely wouldn't say face to face when things start to get confrontational. It is what it is. So I take a lot of the emotion behind the words with a grain of salt. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It's been three years? I remember this thread like it was yesterday.

Furu has always been one of my favorites because he would bring a thoughtful, differing perspective to mine in lots of discussions. I see him pop in now and again but not like he used to.

Markb was a piece of work. Came in like a rocket, contributed a lot and then disappeared. He and I did a SCOR wedge test together - I think mmmmbuddy was our third guy.

Mark put his second stage up around three weeks prior to when we were supposed to. Drove the moderator at the time bonkers - Will was his name, good guy, I was sorry to see him go.

Not much to say about Divots - I think he's been banned from every forum in the world. What you see from him here was normal for him.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's been three years? I remember this thread like it was yesterday.

Furu has always been one of my favorites because he would bring a thoughtful, differing perspective to mine in lots of discussions. I see him pop in now and again but not like he used to.

Markb was a piece of work. Came in like a rocket, contributed a lot and then disappeared. He and I did a SCOR wedge test together - I think mmmmbuddy was our third guy.

Mark put his second stage up around three weeks prior to when we were supposed to. Drove the moderator at the time bonkers - Will was his name, good guy, I was sorry to see him go.

Not much to say about Divots - I think he's been banned from every forum in the world. What you see from him here was normal for him.

Isn't it crazy this was three years ago? Sure doesn't seem like it Rev!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Archived