Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Kenny B's First Putter

Kenny B

OK, the gentleman mongoose in the "research - your help needed!" thread told me to dig up my first putter.  It took a lot of digging (and cleaning), but I found it.  I know that many of you putter ho's can't fathom that anyone has only had three (3) putters, EVER!  When I started playing golf in ernest in 1992, I only had the odd numbered irons of a Ping Eye 2 clone, a 2W and a 4W, and this putter that was made locally in a machine shop.  My criteria for buying this putter?

1. I needed a putter
  2. It looked purty

Yeah, I know... it has a graphite shaft.  Not sure why.  The interesting thing about this design is that it is perfectly balanced... You can balance this putter in your hand and rotate the shaft 360* and it doesn't hang in any position.  I have no idea why that is good or bad, but it intrigued me.  My local pro said that I had "hands of stone" because I was a lousy putter and chipper, not because I emulated Roberto Duran.   :)   It didn't really matter what I used back then, I could run a putt by 8 feet and then leave the next putt short by 4 feet.  

Now that I have it out, I think I will take it to the course and see if my putting woes were the arrow or the Indian.  I think I can do a much better job putting with it today, but since I have since gone to a much heavier putter, I don't see it going back in the bag.  Sorry for the low quality pictures; my wife has the camera, I only have my phone!

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That thing is AWESOME! haha

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

That is the most interesting looking putter ever. You should have them make you a new one to match your current specs

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Wow. That is good looking putter. Really interesting the way the shaft bends and is attached to the center of the back of the putter.  It's the K-Tron from the planet Rom-u-lon. LOL

Oh, and is that Master Grip C4 I see there?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

There are no words. Just awesome.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Wow. That is good looking putter. Really interesting the way the shaft bends and is attached to the center of the back of the putter.  It's the K-Tron from the planet Rom-u-lon. LOL

Oh, and is that Master Grip C4 I see there?

Yepper! good eye PJ.  

That is the most interesting looking putter ever. You should have them make you a new one to match your current specs

It would be tempting, but they are no longer in existence.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yepper! good eye PJ.  

It would be tempting, but they are no longer in existence.  

What about having one of the guys on here offering to custom build a putter? 

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

spectacular! it really is quite stunning... you say you've had this since 1992? wrapped in cotton wool?

No, but it still had the original putter cover on it.  It's got a few nicks here and there, and I had to hit it with some copper polish.

What about having one of the guys on here offering to custom build a putter? 

Remember, it was my first putter.  I didn't say I liked it.  I could have used a 2x4 and putted just as well back then.  :)

I have migrated to a much heavier putter... MUCH.  I haven't heard of anyone chomping at the bit to build anything that might even come close to what I would like.

Wow Kenny! that thing is amazing! would you consider selling it?

to me...?

my kids didn't need a college education anyway

Driver - Titleist 910 9.5° Diamana 72 gram stiff shaft

17° FW - Titleist 910 diamana 72 gram stiff shaft

Rescue - Titleist 909H 21° voodoo stiff shaft

irons - 4 - PW Ping Anser stiff steel

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

Putter - Burton Custom Prototype - 2.5° loft, 68° lie angle, 375 gram head, 20° toe hang, non offset,  Back weighted 75grams.

Wow Kenny! that thing is amazing! would you consider selling it?

to me...?

my kids didn't need a college education anyway

I really haven't given that any thought.  I don't think it is worth that much.  It's just a piece of nostalgia now.  

Remember, it was my first putter. I didn't say I liked it. I could have used a 2x4 and putted just as well back then. :)

I have migrated to a much heavier putter... MUCH. I haven't heard of anyone chomping at the bit to build anything that might even come close to what I would like.

So what would you like? I'm not chomping at the bit, but would be happy to their a design together for you when I finish one for a few other guys. And as I've said, no charge. It's actually quite easy to design a putter from 200 to 500 grams and everywhere in between.

• TM M1 430 w/ Speeder 757 X

TM Jetspeed w/ Fuji X 13.5*

TM UDI w/ Recoil 120 F4 21*

TM 2011 TP MBs 4-pw X100ti

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

TM Ghost Tour Black Monte Carlo

Pro V1

So what would you like? I'm not chomping at the bit, but would be happy to their a design together for you when I finish one for a few other guys. And as I've said, no charge. It's actually quite easy to design a putter from 200 to 500 grams and everywhere in between.

Well that's part of the problem. My current putter is a face-balanced Boccieri Heavy Putter, 31 inch Anser style with 465g head and a total weight of about 900g. I really don't much care for the looks of their putters but they fit my putting style.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, the gentleman mongoose in the "research - your help needed!" thread told me to dig up my first putter.  It took a lot of digging (and cleaning), but I found it.  I know that many of you putter ho's can't fathom that anyone has only had three (3) putters, EVER!  When I started playing golf in ernest in 1992, I only had the odd numbered irons of a Ping Eye 2 clone, a 2W and a 4W, and this putter that was made locally in a machine shop.  My criteria for buying this putter?

1. I needed a putter
  2. It looked purty

Yeah, I know... it has a graphite shaft.  Not sure why.  The interesting thing about this design is that it is perfectly balanced... You can balance this putter in your hand and rotate the shaft 360* and it doesn't hang in any position.  I have no idea why that is good or bad, but it intrigued me.  My local pro said that I had "hands of stone" because I was a lousy putter and chipper, not because I emulated Roberto Duran.   :)   It didn't really matter what I used back then, I could run a putt by 8 feet and then leave the next putt short by 4 feet.  

Now that I have it out, I think I will take it to the course and see if my putting woes were the arrow or the Indian.  I think I can do a much better job putting with it today, but since I have since gone to a much heavier putter, I don't see it going back in the bag.  Sorry for the low quality pictures; my wife has the camera, I only have my phone!

attachicon.gifIMG_0192.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0198.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0201.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0206.jpg

Wow............amazing.

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Archived