2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

My time with Cobra

Mimz

Last year after saving for a few months I ventured into Golftown to buy a set of irons to replace my ancient Wilson staff Di5's.

After demoing a few different clubs the sales guy had me sold in the Cobra Amp Cells, the custom choices were cool plus I hit them well.

2 weeks go by and the clubs arrive, man do they ever look good!

2 more weeks go buy and I'm loving them until I hit my 9 iron and the head comes off!

Thinking of this as a fluke I take it back to GT and they ship it back to Cobra.

3 weeks go by and my 9 comes back with the wrong grip and no extension.

Golftown quickly replaces the grip and throws the ext in for free.

2-3 months later my 8 iron snaps right at the hosel!

Fluke again?... I get it fixed.

Now it's 2 weeks ago, I'm at Predator Ridge on a yearly golf trip.

I'm on the range warming up and wouldn't you know! My 7 iron breaks in the exact same spot right at the hosel.

When I got home I decided this isn't a fluke.

I go into GT and tell them everything. They tell me that a cobra rep will call me ASAP.

3 days go by and not a peep.

So I go into GT again. They tell me they are as shocked as I am and email and call the rep. He'll call me the next day.

I finally get a phone call from the rep 4 days after the issue being brought to his attention. He tells me that they will re shaft all my irons free of charge with upgraded shafts.

I decline, at this point I no longer want the irons.

So he offers me an upgrade to bio cell +.

Good offer right? I contemplate it and he asks for my specs, tells me to pick them up from GT that afternoon.

I goto GT and the managers grabs the clubs.... One BIG problem.... They are right handed. I however am left handed.

The Managers faces drops, not only were they right handed but used demo clubs.

Now I'm really not interested in having these irons.

After talking to the manager he agrees to let me exchange the clubs for another set of my liking.

I decided that I would take my time, read reviews and research what irons would fit well with my game and help it improve.

I narrowed it down to 3 (with the help of Golfspy_MBP) : TM SLDR, ping G30 and AP1's

I went in and spent about 1 1/2 hours hitting all 3 and talking with another one of Golfspy_MBP's suggested club fitters and came out with an order for TM SLDR's.

These things are amazing. It feel like your hitting a marshmallow only to see the ball explode off the face.

At the end of the fitting we decided that the set up would be ;

TM SLDR w/ KBS c taper 130g xstiff soft stepped 1 1/2 extension 3 deg up.

When these arrive I will make sure to do I complete review if anyone is interested!

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

TM SLDR 5-p Xstiff Ctaper hard stepped 1 1/2 ext 3 deg upright

Cobra trusty rusty 51,55,59 deg

Nike method core MC01w

Well thats one hell of a ride! I'm surprised you had such a bad experience with Cobra as all I have really heard are good things up untill this point.

I hope the new irons work out for you and look forward to hearing what you think of them.

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I can't say I would NEVER go back to cobra, I still game a set of trusty rustys and love them!

But this experience has left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth!

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

Nike method core MC01w

I'm really excited to hear how you like the SLDR irons. I agree with how you described the deceptive feed back you get off of a clean strike only to look up and see that you've pounded the ball. Sorry to hear the round about way that you ended up with them. You are much more patient than I am.

I've got you Penciled in GolfspyMBP!

Jondagcl, couldn't really get angry at GT they were on my side from the start and were amazing. Can only chalk it up to getting a lemon set from cobra but that all it takes. Just excited to get my hands on the new ones and hit the course!

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

Nike method core MC01w

Sorry for your luck with the cobras but congrats on the new sldr irons!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Sounds like your Cobra troubles resulted in a significant TMag upgrade. Way to go.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Sorry for your woes caribou,  I had a similar event occur to me, only it was Powerbilt irons......Powerbilt was so awesome, they replaced the entire set in less than two weeks.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Sorry to hear your experience with Cobra. I have a similar story, bought a set of Cobra Amp Cell irons (used) and have owned them for 7 weeks and played 10 rounds. I looked last week and 4 of the 8 irons had major chipping onthe shaft by the hosel. Took them back to Golfsmith and they were sent back to Cobra to see if they would qualify under warranty repair. Been a week and no word yet. Looks like another weekend of not being able to play.

In my wilsonstaff.jpg Nexus bag
wilsonstaff.jpg FG Tour M3
wilsonstaff.jpg D-200 3 Wood
callaway.jpg xHot 3 Hybrid
cobra.jpg Amp Cell 4-PW
cleveland.jpg 60 Degree Wedge
odyssey.jpg 2-Ball Fang Putter
callaway.jpg Supersoft Golf ball

Steve, that's really unfortunate I hope you heR something soon. I would go into golfsmith and see if they have any updates for you or could get some for you!

And I just received a call from Cobra Golf VP of sales for Canada apologizing for the standard of service and quality of clubs I received. He was very polite and wished me well. Was nice to hear and give someone in "power" some feedback on the process.

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

Nike method core MC01w

I have played the Cobra Bio Cell irons with Dynalite 85 Stiff shafts twice a week since February and have not had any issues.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

He said he felt that they shafts may have been over sanded at the tip possibly cause by someone being new or in training or just not paying attention. I have nothing against Cobra when the clubs were intact they were great!

My Bag

TM R9 10.5 deg

TM r11 13.5

TM RBZ 2.0 Tp 21 deg

Nike method core MC01w

Archived