Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Soft Spikes vs. Metal Spikes

Soft or Metal  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you wear. Soft or Metal?

The PGA Professional (also the club owner) at my home course has been promoting the use of metal spike the past couple of years and this season I made the switch from soft to metal in one of my three pairs of golf shoes. The results have been great for me so far.

This was not something that was decided on a whim. Our pro has been a PGA Teaching Professional for close to 40 years so he has been around golf for awhile and he has owned our course since it was built and opened in 1959.

With that being said, he feels that metal spikes do more good for the greens than damage so he has been pushing many of the members to make the switch when it is time to replace spikes. In our mens league this week, all four players in the match I was in were wearing metal and it was the first time since I was a kid I that I remember seeing this.

I have worn mine since the start of the season I have received no complaints nor have I noticed any damage on any of the greens, either by me or anyone else.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

I too prefer the metal to the soft. When I started 20+ years ago we used metal. Then a few years ago they switched to soft spikes and "outlawed" them on most courses. I feel like I am slipping all the time. I hope they bring the metal back!

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

The PGA Professional (also the club owner) at my home course has been promoting the use of metal spike the past couple of years and this season I made the switch from soft to metal in one of my three pairs of golf shoes. The results have been great for me so far.

This was not something that was decided on a whim. Our pro has been a PGA Teaching Professional for close to 40 years so he has been around golf for awhile and he has owned our course since it was built and opened in 1959.

With that being said, he feels that metal spikes do more good for the greens than damage so he has been pushing many of the members to make the switch when it is time to replace spikes. In our mens league this week, all four players in the match I was in were wearing metal and it was the first time since I was a kid I that I remember seeing this.

I have worn mine since the start of the season I have received no complaints nor have I noticed any damage on any of the greens, either by me or anyone else.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Funny I have these exact spikes in my FJ Classics just begging to be allowed on the course. LOL. I wish we could wear what we like. as long as you don't drag your feet it's all good. much better imo, but ask Freddy he like sneakers. If I was aloud to use them at my home course they be in all my shoes. It's just very hard on the first hole with the starter and you hear that sound walking to the first tee, otherwise i'd try to sneak them on the course.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I love wearing metal spikes as I feel that they give you more traction, but as it has been said pretty much every club I play at will not allow you to use them. On top of that they aren't the easiest things to find these days. I would love to see a switch back to metal spikes. It would be better for the course and it would provide many golfers with better traction.

I've just picked up some of these Pro Stingers but have yet to use them, not because they aren't allowed, but because there are a couple of treacherous concrete paths with 45 degree inclines at my course. I'm worried I'll end up on my @rse, and possibly injured.

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

I've just picked up some of these Pro Stingers but have yet to use them, not because they aren't allowed, but because there are a couple of treacherous concrete paths with 45 degree inclines at my course. I'm worried I'll end up on my @rse, and possibly injured.

I just walk in the grass on the edge of the path's. First time I wore mine this spring, it brought back memories as I walked across the parking lot.

Our pro told me yesterday that many courses outlawed them not for damage on the course, but for the damage being done to the clubhouse floors etc. He says they do the greens more good than bad. I'm thrilled our course allow's them. I bought a second set yesterday and added to another pair of my shoes.

I would kill for local courses to allow them

I called two other local courses this afternnon close to me and one of them, another old eighteen hole semi private course, said no problem as long as you watch yourself on the greens but don't think of wearing them in or around the clubhouse.

The other course and new in 2007 nine hole course said they had really never given it any thought but could see no reason why not, again as long as there is not damage being done.

My home course pro and I talked about this some more today and he reminded me that a good number of pro's still wear metal and will be doing so this summer in the majors, which are of course being held this year at some pretty historic courses and it will be a none issue.

World No.2 PM still wears metal and didn't get kicked out of the Masters for it. Our pro says too much was and is being made of it. Soft spikes on the wrong feet can do a fair amount of damage to a green themselves.

Since this is the exact same thread that you created on TST, I'll use the exact same answer, my thoughts are the same: Have you seen what the PGA TOUR pros do to wooden bridges at the courses they play? Like swiss cheese time a million. The place that I saw the bridge was at TPC Boston, where the Deutsche Bank is played, and that course is very new. And that only 150ish people for 2 days and then under 100 for 2 more days, minus the PGA TOUR pros who use soft spikes. And it's only for 4 days. That is NOT good for the greens. I mean, why else was Tiger's putt on the 72nd hole at the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines so bumpy?

At my home course, there are at least ten to twenty guys wearing steel right now and some have always worn them while a few others, like myself just changed this spring. Right now I see no indication of this in the greens from day to day. I notice the small holes of course while I'm on the green, but the next day when I play, there is no sign of having been there the day before.

I played when steel spikes were the only option and I really don't remember it being a big deal. I understand that most courses have not allowed steel for some time and I'll be happy to comply with their rules when I play away from home, but as long as they are allowed at my home course, I will continue to wear them.

Cross pollination was said to be the reason steel spikes were banned at most private courses. It must have been worse at one time because even today, cross pollination continues albet, the caddies are normally enough to keep it under control. Players with worn metal spikes and very tired players who dragged their feet also left plenty of marks that needed tamping and therefore slowed the game down some.

Personally speaking, I am very happy with the soft spikes regardless that I won't wear them. I wear nubs because they don't wear out so easily. They don't grip as well as soft spikes but that much grip is not needed except on very rare occasions. In the case of steel spikes the only time I miss them is when I have to climb up or down a slope on a rainy day. On those days I wish I had some crampons that I could slip on for the time needed, but then the problem of what to do with them after the need passes.

Soft spikes are really so much more comfortable and I think not all that many players actually need to be nailed to the ground when the swing.

Shambles

Cross pollination was said to be the reason steel spikes were banned at most private courses. It must have been worse at one time because even today, cross pollination continues albet, the caddies are normally enough to keep it under control. Players with worn metal spikes and very tired players who dragged their feet also left plenty of marks that needed tamping and therefore slowed the game down some.

Personally speaking, I am very happy with the soft spikes regardless that I won't wear them. I wear nubs because they don't wear out so easily. They don't grip as well as soft spikes but that much grip is not needed except on very rare occasions. In the case of steel spikes the only time I miss them is when I have to climb up or down a slope on a rainy day. On those days I wish I had some crampons that I could slip on for the time needed, but then the problem of what to do with them after the need passes.

Soft spikes are really so much more comfortable and I think not all that many players actually need to be nailed to the ground when the swing.

Shambles

Sham...I could not have said the above better clapping.gif -

My first pair of shoes were Foot Joys, ran me @ $150 at the time iirc, they came with metal spikes. Most uncomfortable things I've ever worn. Left them in a locker room after a tournament and never went back to retrieve them. laugh.gif.

Personally, I think the choice of spikes is all in the head - sometimes I wear my sneakers, sometimes I wear my Nike sandles with Black Widow soft spikes. Short of trying to trek up or down a dew covered hill, to me it makes no difference.

I well remember when metal was the norm and the area around the pin was torn to hell because people shuffled / dragged their feet and it looked like the grass had been sanded with 16 grit.

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

I really don't have the desire for any sort of debate on this subject and I have been around the game for nearly thirty five years and I remember the whole debate back when soft spikes first came out. The PGA Pro at our course, as I stated in a couple of prior posts, has been a PGA professional almost as long as I have been alive (48) and he mows the greens almost everyday as he has done since the course opened in 59' and he does not see anything abnormal on the greens from day to day. Our greens right now are disease and fungus free. As he and I talked about this subject once again just this morning he pointed out that there have been several "old timers" at the course that have in fact never made the switch to solf spikes which was his reason for continuing to stock them. He noted also that they have become harder to find in some cases but he has always been able to stock them and while not really encouraging their use to everyone, he has always allowed their use and he intends to continue to do so for those that want them.

We are also keeping in mind that this course is not Pebble Beach in terms of number of rounds played per day or per year but it does see its fair share of play day in and day out for a very rural country course. As the owner also pointed out to me, this is another reason why it is nice to live in America. If you own the course, you get to make the rules and in fifty one years in the golf business, he has never received a single complaint about the use of metal spikes on the course. The clubhouse is another story and one must suffer the wife of the owners raft for wearing them inside.

Like I said before, I respect everyones opinion and both myself and our pro/owner have enjoyed following this thread and it has served its purpose, which was to hear the thoughts of others. Thanks to those that posted and kept the bashing/bad mouthing to a minimal. It was much appreciated. This pretty well sums it up from me and my thoughts have been made as well as your thoughts.

Thank you!

yea i like both of them, metal better and a new pair of soft spikes about even wih em.

man mood went down on this thread

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

I really don't have the desire for any sort of debate on this subject and I have been around the game for nearly thirty five years and I remember the whole debate back when soft spikes first came out. The PGA Pro at our course, as I stated in a couple of prior posts, has been a PGA professional almost as long as I have been alive (48) and he mows the greens almost everyday as he has done since the course opened in 59' and he does not see anything abnormal on the greens from day to day. Our greens right now are disease and fungus free. As he and I talked about this subject once again just this morning he pointed out that there have been several "old timers" at the course that have in fact never made the switch to solf spikes which was his reason for continuing to stock them. He noted also that they have become harder to find in some cases but he has always been able to stock them and while not really encouraging their use to everyone, he has always allowed their use and he intends to continue to do so for those that want them.

We are also keeping in mind that this course is not Pebble Beach in terms of number of rounds played per day or per year but it does see its fair share of play day in and day out for a very rural country course. As the owner also pointed out to me, this is another reason why it is nice to live in America. If you own the course, you get to make the rules and in fifty one years in the golf business, he has never received a single complaint about the use of metal spikes on the course. The clubhouse is another story and one must suffer the wife of the owners raft for wearing them inside.

Like I said before, I respect everyones opinion and both myself and our pro/owner have enjoyed following this thread and it has served its purpose, which was to hear the thoughts of others. Thanks to those that posted and kept the bashing/bad mouthing to a minimal. It was much appreciated. This pretty well sums it up from me and my thoughts have been made as well as your thoughts.

Thank you!

Dude, you literally just copy and pasted between forums. :(

As I would have, if I had taken time out of my day to type it all out, and was having the discussion on multiple fora. :P

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

DUDE......yes I post in two DIFFERENT forums. What is your point? NEWS FLASH: Not everyone that is a member of the other forum is a member here and vise versus.

No matter your tone Hoosier, I take one look at your avatar and my heart melts for you! :(

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

No matter your tone Hoosier, I take one look at your avatar and my heart melts for you! ;)

I love it when other's address other people as "Dude" It just makes me smile out loud for some reason. Sounds like something you would hear down at the playground.

Opinions are like....you know what. Everyone has one. Our pro, who is not a big computer or internet guy has loved following this thread. He feels a lot has been made of nothing and the best part is, he owns the course so what he says goes. That is just his opinion, which in the USA he is allowed to have and I just happen to like the way he thinks. With that said, I will enjoy wearing my metal spikes. I like em.......DUDE!

PS; +2 on the avatar. I had the pleasure (and it was all mine) of sitting with her and a small group at Bay Hill in December a couple of years ago. She is another class act.....and I think she wears soft spikes......unlike Arnie who is a metal man all the way.

Lucky you, she always came across to me a genuine and nice person, who loved the game and the fans that support her.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived