Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The 2015 "Santa Scramble!"

GolfSpy Barbajo

What do you get when 104 guys dress up like Santa to play golf in Minnesota on December 20th?

You get on the news, that's what!

104 Santas Participate in Golf Outing West of the Metro

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3997817.shtml

Updated: 12/20/2015 10:23 PM
Created: 12/20/2015 8:04 PM KSTP.com

While those who are fans of winter sports are wishing the mild temperatures would drop, golfers in Lester Prairie are celebrating the lack of cold weather in a festive way.

In the city roughly one hour west of the metro area, 104 people dressed up as Santa hit the links Sunday at the ShadowBrooke Golf Course for the Santa Scramble.

“It's unbelievable,” participant Tyler Walker said about the ability to play golf this late into December. “Hopefully it's not too frozen so I don't break my wrist when I'm hitting the divots.”
Although the holiday golf tournament is fierce, it wasn't all about the sport.

“It's kind of interesting; there was a little girl who walked by, about 2 years old, she looked at all the other Santas and then she stopped and looked at me and she just stared at me for a minute,” participant John Otteson said. “I thought, ‘OK, that's validation.'”

For those worried about presents being delivered on time, the Santas said they left the toy making in the elves' good hands.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Here are some pictures of the event.  Several holes were along the road, so cars honking their horns was common all day.  A bunch of folks would slow down to see what the hell was going on, and a couple of kids in a pickup actually stopped while we were waiting on a tee box and asked to have their picture taken with us!

All in all, it was a "hoot"

santa1.jpg

santa2.jpg

santa3.jpg

santa4.jpg

santa6.jpg

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Minnesota golf in December, one is inclined to think,  would pretty much require Santa apparel, no?

I'll pass.  I'd rather go ice fishing in the Florida Keys.

Weather wasn't bad -- hit around 40* and with all the Santa layers, it was warm enough.  The greens, however, were frozen so you had to play the bump and run.  Sorta like frozen Open Championship conditions....

All in all, it was a hell of a good time!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

John, were you the one that was "pretty good" or the one that "had a little work to do"?

Looks like normal golf in my area all winter.

What do you have the elves working on for me?  :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Haaaa.... love the Santa dude rocking a reverse pivot off a frozen cart trail. Watch out !!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

LOL that last photo classic Santa enjoying a good smoke. Takes me back when I was a kid most of the Santas did that

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived