Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golfer withdraws from US Open qualifying because airline loses clubs.

Crashtestdummy

Golfer withdraws from US Open qualifying because airline loses clubs. The Yahoo comments are funny. Stuff like "Rent or borrow another set of clubs. Problem solved! Next" or "What a jerkoff! Go rent some clubs...." Haha. Clearly not golfers.

https://www.yahoo.co...-165428055.html

United Airlines?

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Rent, or go home. What? He went home.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Boy I don't know. The only time and perhaps last time I rented some clubs it was like a whipping. Those things were out of control. About 1 out of every 10 shots were kind of decent. I think they were all shafted with Orange Whips or something.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Boy I don't know. The only time and perhaps last time I rented some clubs it was like a whipping. Those things were out of control. About 1 out of every 10 shots were kind of decent. I think they were all shafted with Orange Whips or something.

The last time I rented clubs, the (Top Flite or whatever) drivers had steel shafts, and the crowns ALL had enormous dents on the top. Pretty awesome...

I find the ignorant usually have the strongest opinions.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

So while I echo the rental clubs I've played have not been great I'm sure he could have found a decent set somewhere. Shoot he probably could have found a company to help him out just for the fact instead of the headline being "golfer withdraws because of airline" it would have been "said company saves day for golfer" idk seems a little weird you just withdraw unless he thinks he didn't have a chance. And if that was the case why fly there in the first place. Key here was probably how much time he had to get to the course the article I read said he was hoping to get to the course and have 30-40 min warm up before his tee time

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I find the ignorant usually have the strongest opinions.

Not sure if you're referring to me or not. But usually the ignorant are to afraid to state their opinions.

It is rare for golf shops or courses to have professional caliber sets for rental or demo. However, if I spent all the time, money, and effort to travel to US Open qualifier, I would of tried to find some clubs and give it a go. Definitely a long shot. It is so difficult to play with ill-fit foreign clubs that you haven't spent any time with. The driver is most difficult to find a substitute because there is so much variation with flex, kickpoint, flex pattern, torque, and they feel so different. Irons would be easier if you could find the same shaft and flex. 

I can understand his anger because he got "priority baggage tags" which is supposed to insure they get on the plane. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

So while I echo the rental clubs I've played have not been great I'm sure he could have found a decent set somewhere. Shoot he probably could have found a company to help him out just for the fact instead of the headline being "golfer withdraws because of airline" it would have been "said company saves day for golfer" idk seems a little weird you just withdraw unless he thinks he didn't have a chance. And if that was the case why fly there in the first place. Key here was probably how much time he had to get to the course the article I read said he was hoping to get to the course and have 30-40 min warm up before his tee time

Yeah, I agree. He could have just gone to a golf store and bought his set make-up instead of making phone calls to the airline company...

Not referring to you, GJ. Typically the ignorant masses who post comments on Yahoo! are the people least qualified to do so. But they are the ones who argue their invalid point vehemently.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

The poor guy had all his clubs dialed in that were custom made to his specs. For him to tee it up at a major championship with anything else would diminish his confidence greatly.  Hopefully he had travelers insurance on his stuff so he can replace it.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Not having one's set could be really bad, so if he couldn't get anything close, i can't really blame him. Just this weekend, I went to the range after my round with a couple of guys in my foursome. We were having a little contest, firing at the greens down range, and I asked one of the guys if I could hit his i3 8 iron. Well the shaft whipped the head around so quick on the downswing I darn near broke my right wrist. The head went so deep I could have buried a small animal. My friend tried to hit my 8i and couldn't shut the club face at all, and he hits big draws all day.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Those that have never played in a USGA qualifier are likely not aware any participant failing to return a score within 10 shots of the course rating may be subject to suspension from future qualifiers until such time as they can demonstrate their skill level merits inclusion at the championship level. The courses are typically setup very difficult and trying to get it done with a crappy rental set would be a tall order.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Not referring to you, GJ. Typically the ignorant masses who post comments on Yahoo! are the people least qualified to do so. But they are the ones who argue their invalid point vehemently.

I see what you mean. I totally agree with you!

I feel his pain...

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Those that have never played in a USGA qualifier are likely not aware any participant failing to return a score within 10 shots of the course rating may be subject to suspension from future qualifiers until such time as they can demonstrate their skill level merits inclusion at the championship level. The courses are typically setup very difficult and trying to get it done with a crappy rental set would be a tall order.

Yes, there is really no way he would have qualified, but why not try? Miracle round? At least he would have gotten in a round at a nice course.

Yes, there is really no way he would have qualified, but why not try? Miracle round? At least he would have gotten in a round at a nice course.

Unless I could have found a legitimate set to borrow that was really good equipment, I wouldn't have played either because I risk shooting too high a score to compete or if I don't return a score low enough I can be put on a watch list. I would have just walked to the golf shop and put my credit or debit card on the counter with my ID and cell phone and said to the pro "The airline lost my clubs and I need a quality set to borrow for this qualifier. I'm sure you can see I'm serious and I'm not going anywhere. You can come watch me swing and have someone follow me all day."

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Considering he made it through local qualifying or didn't need to go through local I do not think this applies.

And as for not playing, why not try. What is the worst that can happen? You never know you actually play well. Guys that need everything perfect are the guys I want in my events.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I see. I think I misread your post. Actually, not playing was a good call on his part. I didn't know that about USGA qualifiers.

I've never heard of it being enforced, but the rule does exist.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

This is a really good point. I have played with ill-fit foreign clubs and rental clubs many a time and every time it has been disastrous. That would definitely be part of the decision to play or not. 

Also, the guy is an aspiring pro. Most likely he is on his own dime to try to make it to the pros and doesn't get endorsement money or equipment. His sticks are his livelihood and how he is trying to make a living. Having them disappear just before US Open qualifier that only happens once a year is such a bummer. 

I haven't looked at the sectional qualifying schedule, but it seems like there might be another location he could qualify at...

My question is when did he realize he wouldn't have them for the tournament. Obviously he didn't get off the plane and head right for a tee time. Shouldn't have gone to Dicks and got set had them adjust the lie loft whatever and go play. Charge it on the credit card whatever it's the sectionals for the US Open

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

My question is when did he realize he wouldn't have them for the tournament. Obviously he didn't get off the plane and head right for a tee time. Shouldn't have gone to Dicks and got set had them adjust the lie loft whatever and go play. Charge it on the credit card whatever it's the sectionals for the US Open

Most of these guys trying to qualify probably need more than a simple lie adjustment to play well.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Dick's definitely doesn't have pro level equipment when it comes to custom shafts that are stiff enough and low enough torque for pros. Mainly driver and fairway shafts. Also, Dick's would not be able to adjust lie angles for forged irons. I doubt they even have forged ironsets. Dick's has the clubheads (drivers and fairway) that could be used but only has stock shafts that are for the mainstream. Even most good golf shops don't stock pro level caliber shafts. The difference between stock shafts and custom shafts is enormous. He was extremely short on time because he landed at 6am and had to tee off in a few hours. 

It would be a great help if the article would have laid this all out to us average golfers. Like any profession certain things are a requirement for success, that those outside of the industry just don't, or can't understand. I still personally wouldn't be able to WD. It's not in my makeup

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Yeah, I agree. He could have just gone to a golf store and bought his set make-up instead of making phone calls to the airline company...

Not everyone has an extra $1800-$2500 to blow on new sticks, especially after footing the entry fee and airline tickets to get to the qualifier.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Archived