Sign in to follow this  
Mizuno2

Tinkerers

Our Sponsors

There aint a decent golfer that hasnt used or still own 588 wedge. They are a staple. Classic perfect shape.

Sent from my SM-G950W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

A lot of folks do not know where the 588 designation comes from-- Look at the profile it is an exact copy of the 1958 Wilson Staff sand wedge which was a tour and better player staple throughout the 60s into the 80s.

The "58" comes from Wilson Staff as in 1958

The "8" comes from 8* of bounce which the old staff was stock and the Cleveland standard stock version is too.

One of the newer T Mag wedges is also a copy of the tried and true design complete with the bore through hosel and red plug like the original Wilson. Cleveland never did a bore through 588 to my knowledge

• Like 1

Stu - Thanks for the history lesson! I thought the TM wedge looked quite a bit like the old WS Dynapower bore-through. And I never knew the history of the 588.

• Like 1

Not knocking Cleveland golf at all but a lot of his early stuff was quality copies of classic stuff thus Cleveland Classics. They made some great copies of classic Macgregor persimmon woods back in the 80s. In fact they made 2 of the best copies of the famed Wilson 8802 putter. I have a couple of the woods and they hit as good as any persimmon made back in the day. I also have one of the 8802 copies I have had 25 years or more and I putt with it better than I do a real 8802

• Like 1

I picked up a center shaft Odyssey White Hot 2 center shaft with an insert that is peeling off. Im going to take out the insert, clean the club up, refinish, and put a copper insert back in.

• Like 2

Finished up my first finished product for a divot tool.  I've got a bunch of copper, brass and aluminum I'm going to make some out of.  I figured out quickly that making a divot tool is easy, polishing and grinding a divot tool is hard.  So I just went hand hammered for this one.

IMG_6839.JPG

• Like 4

Finished up my first finished product for a divot tool. I've got a bunch of copper, brass and aluminum I'm going to make some out of. I figured out quickly that making a divot tool is easy, polishing and grinding a divot tool is hard. So I just went hand hammered for this one.

IMG_6839.JPG

That looks awesome and very well made. Great job on the hammered finish!

A lot of folks do not know where the 588 designation comes from-- Look at the profile it is an exact copy of the 1958 Wilson Staff sand wedge which was a tour and better player staple throughout the 60s into the 80s.

The "8" comes from 8* of bounce which the old staff was stock and the Cleveland standard stock version is too.

One of the newer T Mag wedges is also a copy of the tried and true design complete with the bore through hosel and red plug like the original Wilson. Cleveland never did a bore through 588 to my knowledge

Sorry there Stu, but have to call you out on this one, unless you have something else to back it up.  From this article, the "5" comes from it being Cleveland's 5th design and the "88" comes from being released in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Golf

Sorry there Stu, but have to call you out on this one, unless you have something else to back it up.  From this article, the "5" comes from it being Cleveland's 5th design and the "88" comes from being released in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Golf

Also, as far as I know, the TM wedges aren't a  true bore through, even though they do have a red "plug" on the bottom making them appear so?  I've never owned or even held any of them so can't say for sure, but think that's correct?

Sorry, I can't seem how to quote and reply without replying in the same quote.  I'll get it figured out so this is much more readable!