Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Demo day expectations

I'm heading to my first demo day on Saturday. Looks like most of the major makers are going to be there. Any advice on how to do this? I will likely focus on trying different drivers. Are these things usually packed? Do I need to bring a lawn chair and a book? Lots of sunscreen?

Do the reps bring portable launch monitors? Or do I usually just eyeball high launch vs low launch? Will there be just a few stock shafts or does someone besides Mizuno have a shaft optimizer and a big selection of shafts?

I guess I plan on bringing my clubs for a comparison, a lawn chair for waiting and Bob Rotellas “Putting out of your mind”. And a full brimmed hat.

Any other suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Sometimes reps bring monitors, sometimes they don't.

Most multi vendor demo days are just staffed by tech reps so don't go in expecting any custom fitting. They'll be able to make general club adjustments and swap a few shafts but that's about it.

It's a good place to narrow your selection and then get properly fit afterwards

Most of not all reps should have a launch monitor. Bringing your clubs for comparison is a good idea. Crowds vary by location and day around where I'm at but should be plenty of hitting space for each company so while a rep may be busy with someone you should still be able to try while waiting.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Do not set your hopes on meeting a rep who is as enthusiastic as yourself. It's often hit or miss with these events. Many are salty guys and gals who take home $100 to make sure everything makes it back into the grand caravan for the next event.

Good luck, let your swing do the talking and if you're lucky you'll get someone who cares enough to give you your due attention.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Just enjoy it and don't expect too much. Where do you live that you need sunscreen this time of year?

It's too late for Florida demo days.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just enjoy it and don't expect too much. Where do you live that you need sunscreen this time of year?

It's too late for Florida demo days.

In Salt Lake City our elevation takes us 1/3 of the way up to the sun. So even a nice cool day with the sun out can roast you pretty quickly.

Thanks everyone else for the tips. I will have to fill you in how it goes.

In Salt Lake City our elevation takes us 1/3 of the way up to the sun. So even a nice cool day with the sun out can roast you pretty quickly.

Thanks everyone else for the tips. I will have to fill you in how it goes.

How did the demo day go?  The one's I've been to I've had to schedule a time slot with the pro shop.  I've honestly never been to a demo day where the rep doesn't bring a launch monitor.  They bring it because they want you to buy the club as soon as the demo is over.  Granted by no means do you have to do that.  I've gone to many events just to try.  I normally try to do some research before hand to know what clubs would best fit me so I'm not trying to narrow it down with the rep.  I do always try to get there at least 30 minutes early to warm-up before I actually demo anything.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

How did the demo day go? The one's I've been to I've had to schedule a time slot with the pro shop. I've honestly never been to a demo day where the rep doesn't bring a launch monitor. They bring it because they want you to buy the club as soon as the demo is over. Granted by no means do you have to do that. I've gone to many events just to try. I normally try to do some research before hand to know what clubs would best fit me so I'm not trying to narrow it down with the rep. I do always try to get there at least 30 minutes early to warm-up before I actually demo anything.

Thanks for the reply. Demo day is tomorrow. Pro shop said just come out. I scheduled appointments with Taylor made and Wilson. No one else had a place to sign up for an appointment.

I'll take pics and lots of notes.

Thanks for the reply. Demo day is tomorrow. Pro shop said just come out. I scheduled appointments with Taylor made and Wilson. No one else had a place to sign up for an appointment.

I'll take pics and lots of notes.

Both solid companies. You're going to have a great time trying the TM stuff. It's solid top to bottom

And the C300 irons from Wilson....without a doubt the most under the radar irons out this year. Make sure to try them.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1. Hitting drivers for 3 hours straight is slightly more tiring than playing a round of golf. Weird.

2. The good old trusty Adams Insight XTD is on notice and is currently quivering in his Lamkin UTX grip in the garage right now.

3. Having your youngest son bring his spec sheet to your wife afterwards to make a deal such as "if you get me this, you can get the new couch you want" might not go over well.

Weather was beautiful.  I showed up an hour early to hit up some other vendors.  I went to the Ping tent first.  This was probably a good choice because they were the only ones with a Trackman.

I guess I realize the difference between a demo day and a fitting day now.  It was a bit chaotic with one or two guys at each tent trying to deal with multiple people.  But for as beautiful a day as it was, there really weren't that many people there.  There was an empty station at all times, so it was easy to stay tired busy.  

With only the one trackman there, I didn't really get my numbers with the current driver.  There were a few people taking a few shots and then moving out while clubs got switched and someone else jumped in.  I think I started out the the G400 Max 9 deg and the Tour 65 and 75 shafts. Ended up with the LST and a Tour65 X.  I am pretty sure I had that combo at two different times, and it was might capable of sending out some lasers.  The "misses" with this were not misses.  What the heck have I been doing with a 10yr old driver for so long?  Well, I guess it has only been a 10 yr old driver for a year.  There were a few that topped out over 340yds!

Round 1 Leader:

IMG_0198.JPG

That took darn close to an hour.  It was a lot of fun to see what these different shafts would do to the ball flight.  I think the Trackman still had me at spin in the high 2000's and a launch angle around 12-13.  These were a both on the edge of their recommended ranges, but I couldn't complain with the results.

Off to TaylorMade.  I answered a few questions about typical ball flight, he took a look in my bag, and gave me an M3 with a Tensei 70g X shaft.  I took three swings and turned around and looked back with a questioning look on my face.  "Any adjustments you want to make to that?"  He just shrugged.  A friend had just showed up before I got to TM and he called the shots "boring".  Thanks a lot, man.  But then I realized he meant boring as in boring through something.  These were slight draws that went up quickly, but then leveled off and never came down.  The roll out on these on our dry fairways would have to be significant.  We tried a few other combinations with the M3 and M4, but came back to this.  Another couple shots turned out the same.  I don't know if these were maxing out at the same distance as the longest Ping drives, but I swear I could have laid a beach blanket over 4 of those 5 balls.

Round 2 leader leaning:

IMG_0202.JPG

Off to Callaway.  I got along best with the Rogue Sub Zero with a Pearl Jam Evenflow 69g X.  My friend and I both agreed that the dispersion was significantly worse that with the M3.  He can hit it a long ways, too, but I am pretty sure our release points are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  I would love something, he would try it and pull them all hard left.  Another combo that didn't seem to work for me and he would take it and send some boring drives out there.  He ended up with some decent connections using the Hzrdous Black 6.5.

Performance not worthy of a pic.

Round 3, TM still leading.

Hit up Cobra on the way over to my Wilson appointment.  I felt like these would all have that trajectory that looks great when the green line tracks the ball during the PGA broadcasts, but that would be about it.  It looked pretty, but would have to be classified as ballooning.  It didn't goo too high, but would get to a point and just drop.  Now it is darn near impossible to see where these things are landing because of the mounds they use for greens, but I would have to guess that these were carrying many yards less than the G400 or M3 and might have actually spun back after hitting the ground.  Wish I could do that with my wedges.  Neither the F8 or F8+ looked to fix that problem.  One thing I did notice that warrants a pic is the white writing on the face near the toe.  Why?  I would have to paint that black.

IMG_0212.JPG

I tried the Wilson C300 driver next.  The head felt smaller than mine, but that may have to do more with shape.  He didn't have any X shafts, so we went with a heavier Hzrdous S.  This had a higher pitched strike sound.  I don't think I am that picky about the sound, though.  Give me a rocket down the middle and it can sound like anything.  In fact, I would call the feel/sound of the M3 like hitting a giant pool of jello or putty with a heavy broom handle.  It was just a solid thwack.  No stray vibrations at all.  That's a weird description that I suppose won't be on a MyGolfSpy's top driver sound list.  Maybe I was just dreaming about cksurferdude in her pink bikini in a pool of jello...

Back on track.  I don't know that I loved the feel of the C300.  I didn't have any really bad shots.  But there was nothing that felt or looked like the lasers that the G400 or M3 were able to send out there.

While there, I did try the C300 and the V6 forged irons.  I had problems hitting them both.  The C300 had the KBS Tour V 105 S shafts.  The whole club assembly felt super light during the swing.  I have a very late release, and this thing would release before my hands made it down to my chest.  Maybe I forgot how to swing an iron after 100 consecutive drives?  I tried my Ben Hogan PTx with the C-Taper 120 shafts and it worked fine.  Back to the C300 and it would release and I was coming over the top and pulling it left.  Then I tried the V6, which he bragged about being the MGS most wanted last year.  This had the DG S300 shaft if I recall.  I had the same problem.  Maybe it was my subconscious telling me the golf gods would curse me if I cheat on Mr. Hogan. 

To make a long story longer, I am really glad I am writing this down tonight.  It was a bit chaotic, and I didn't take many notes.  I thought the pics I took would help me remember, but there were so many combos at the Ping booth, I am not 100% certain that the spec sheet has the best Ping option.  I should really use a GolfTec coupon and put the G400 LST and M3 up against each other side by side with real LM numbers.  A museum piece in my bag made this a really eye opening/exciting day.  My face hurts from smiling so hard.  My current driver is a 46.25"!!  I was outperforming it with drivers more than an inch shorter.  The consistency with which I could flush a drive with these shorter shafts was amazing.

Archived