chisag

Over 50 Xbox question

53 and I was an arcade junkie as a teenager.  Played some of the consoles but never had the desire to get one.  Family decided to get a Wii when my daughter was a pre-teen and I played that a little bit.  When she hit middle school she wanted an x-box 360 that and purchased it herself.  WE played some games together when she wasn't playing with her friends.  A couple of years ago upgraded to the next version and I got the 360.  I played it a little bit,  but for the last year or so it has just sat on the shelf.  I think about playing some sports games, but I generally pick up my putter and roll a few instead.  

• Like 2

I've had an Xbox and now have a PS4. I am strictly a golf playing fool on them. Had the Tiger Woods Masters Edition, loved it. Now currently playing the Rory McIllroy from EA sports. In my opinion they are an awesome way to work on course management. And their just plain fun. They can be difficult if you turn it up to tour level. So go for it. You'll be glad you did.

Chris

On 11/24/2018 at 10:00 AM, Flipper554 said:

59 and doin fine, I play XBox almost everyday. I play games and chat with my son but I never play online. Red Dead Redemption 2 is what I am ambling through at the moment. I’ve been playing since pong not hardcore gaming just to entertain the 12 year old in me.

My father who just turned 50 received an Xbox one for this very reason. He was a big western fan who he has been having fun playing through that. Not to mention with all of the applications on there it is easier to have all of them in one place, as well as having the ability to watch live television via the HDMI in the back. 

• Like 3

I'm quite late to the party here, and my apologies in advance if this comes across as a threadjack, but here goes...

I'm 51, and tried XBox when my son was still alive, and I'm too impatient waiting for games to load, and spending so much time building games up that I lost interest after about 20 minutes. Tiger Woods PGA is a good example. How long do I have to wait to hit actual golf shots. I swear you can spend half your life building a profile and picking courses, and actually getting to the point where you are playing the game. Man, it's so slow.

All that being said, my son lived for XBox. He'd bury himself in his room and play that thing with friends online for endless hours. My last memory I have of my son before he took his own life was going to bed on a Tuesday night and checked on him in his room, where he was engrossed in a game on XBox, where I said, "I'm going to bed." His last words to me, where he didn't even stop playing the game, or look away from the screen were, "OK, Daddy."

The next day I came home to find him dead in his room from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Why do I tell you this? I share this with you because XBox has a deep seated hatred in my heart, and I partially blame video games for killing my son. It was all he wanted to do with his life, and he wouldn't engage with the real world. Just spent hours and hours on XBox, playing game after game after game. His best friend was a gamer whom he spent more time talking to over XBox then actually in person.

If I had it to do over again I would have never bought him a video game unit of any kind. And if I had know that his addiction to video games would kill him I would have ripped that machine out of his room and smashed it with a hammer into about 10,000 pieces.

There are a lot of better ways to engage with your children in real life. Video games are like a virus, or opiods. They are slowly killing (mostly) our boys, who get stimulation and rush out of games, instead of embracing real life. I've seen video games steal an entire weekend of someone's life, and without sleep. The rush from games slowly and surely takes your ability to process time or care about anything else. And if you try and take games away from an addict the after affects are not pretty. I honestly wonder how many twenty-something boys are locked in their parents houses who haven't taken a shower for 3 or more days, and are engaged in a video game marathon with their "friends" across the world, and they don't work a real job, and have no motivation to actually engage in real life.

Sorry if this is off topic, or just doesn't fit with the OP's thread. But hopefully you'll understand why this topic makes me emotionally unstable and irrationally angry.

I can't hit the "like" button for this, because there is nothing to like. I do understand where you're coming from.

Edited by silver & black
  • Like 3

...  I cannot say anything to ease your pain and have no idea what you have been and continue to go thru. But I can give you an alternate scenario that may give you a different perspective about video games. We did not allow either of our boys to have Video games in the house. They could play at their friends house, but not at home. We insisted they play outside as much as possible although they did play some games on their computer. My youngest was an athlete and played football and I coached him in Little League baseball so he was either playing or working out year round. My oldest was not into sports and he has never forgiven us (me mostly as he thinks I influenced his mother) for not allowing him to have video games growing up. When he left home he played World of Warcraft with a vengeance, lost his job and eventually lost his apartment and lived on the street for awhile. 

... Ironically as someone that hated athletics, he found Jui Jitsu and it has become the most important thing in his life, training at the best facilities in San Jose, Atlanta, Miami and Los Angeles. I paid for his gym for a year to "make up" for not letting him play video games. He accepted but still will not completely forgive me for not allowing him to have a game at home when literally all his friends had them. If I could go back and do it again I would have let them own and play at home, but with restrictions on time. Every situation is different of course and I do not mean in any way to compare mine to yours. I just wanted to give you a different perspective from someone that did not allow my kids to play video games at home. 

• Like 1

@GSwag, I’m sorry for your loss!

Video games, guns, cartoons, hard rock, rap, the internet, cellphones, and fast food are not the devil.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm 59 and like you Chisag, i grew up on Pong and Pacman.

But I haven't owned a video game unit since the Atari2600. LOL

I simply don't have the time to spend hours in front of the TV playing. I already do that watching basketball, golf, football etc. If I tried to fit gaming into that, I'd be playing as a homeless guy in his car. Ha

That said I find the graphics on today's games such as Tiger, Rory and MLB spectacular and fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3