chisag

Over 50 Xbox question

... I would love to hear from those over 50, although as always everyones opinion is welcome. Here is my query: have you played Xbox with your "kids" or friends or just on your own? I have never played video games (other than pong, pac man many years ago) and my 27yr old is always telling me I would really enjoy it. I have a 75" TV and an audiophile sound system so with modern games, I can see where it would be pretty cool. I have watched him play Battleground and enjoyed watching, but there are so many buttons to control and it moves so fast I am wondering how long it took some of you "mature" MGS'ers to learn how to play. And is it worth the effort? 

Edited by chisag

I’m 42, and grew up playing them, but quit when I was around 30... just lost interest. My wife (39) and daughter (4) play, and sometimes I help them with hard parts, but mostly I watch them. I agree about the buttons, there’s just too many. I grew up with them though, so when I started as a kid it was just a joystick and one button. Then they added a button. Then a couple more buttons. Then around 2000 they added a second joystick and a few more buttons. Maybe you should start with one of the NES Classic kits... it just has one joystick and a couple buttons, and it comes preloaded with a bunch of classic games. Then graduate to the more complicated setup. It can be a fun way to spend time with others, kind of like board games did back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m 50 and have a HD projector running Xbox One on a 120 inch screen in full surround. Told the wife it was a setup for the 14 year old twins but the girl won’t play and my boy plays Nintendo Switch games. That being said forget about online games. The kids will crush you and make fun of you while they do it. If you want to blow off some steam and play a shooter it is a blast in single player mode. That being said if you grew up playing game like pac man it may be a tough transition. But, for a couple hundred bucks I say find out. You can play local games with your son and they are fun but I agree, getting used to the buttons takes time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

... Thanks Wedgie, I have no desire top play strangers online. Just my son and his friends and making fun of me would be the point. Kinda like Papi on Highly Questionable. 😜

• Like 2

... Thanks Wedgie, I have no desire top play strangers online. Just my son and his friends and making fun of me would be the point. Kinda like Papi on Highly Questionable. 

Haha, right. Get a shooter, grab a bazooka and be happy blasting your boy and his buddy’s once for every 20 times they get you. Kinda like golf, that one shot will keep you coming back.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Start playing and the buttons will come naturally. They seem to many but once you start putting some time to it... my Dad beats me at Fifa and Pes, he started playing 2 years ago when he got retired and i played them all my life, i´m 36 so i already grew up with the controller in my hand.

Is it worthy... it all depends on your taste, we like soccer games at home, and i also like indiana jones gameplay like uncharted and tomb raider. I also play with a nintendo WII for family fun, bowling and fencing and other sports.

• Like 2

It’s just not my cup of tea.I own the Xbox -X that utilizes my 4 k tv.The Netflix - NBC- and espn apps look amazing streaming on it.On the gaming side, I’m just not into the current gen gaming.When the young relatives come over.They use it during holiday or get togethers for gaming.

I don’t play myself, but a few younger guys at work are always talking about them. They get pissed off with them, because there are people out there who have figured out all the cheats in the game. It would be difficult to pick this games up and learn the controllers well enough to play . 

I’m 49. I play FPS Shooters on PS4.

It’s cathartic. The only problem I have is that because I’m old, my reflexes are slow, and I can’t keep up with the young kids.

Do it. It’s too fun.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I’m 48 and I have been gaming since the Atari days I have Xbox one and 2 PS4’s. My 19 year old son took the Xbox and PS4 off to college with him so I had to buy the a 4K PS4. I play on a 4K 70” Samsung curve. It’s amazing.
For Black Friday I bought the kid and I Red Dead Redemption 2 so we can play while he’s away.
I’m big into the Call of Duty games.
I even have a old school screen name Pitfall__Harry. The young kids have no clue who that is.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... I would love to hear from those over 50, although as always everyones opinion is welcome. Here is my query: have you played Xbox with your "kids" or friends or just on your own? I have never played video games (other than pong, pac man many years ago) and my 27yr old is always telling me I would really enjoy it. I have a 75" TV and an audiophile sound system so with modern games, I can see where it would be pretty cool. I have watched him play Battleground and enjoyed watching, but there are so many buttons to control and it moves so fast I am wondering how long it took some of you "mature" MGS'ers to learn how to play. And is it worth the effort? 

my son wanted me to join him in playing his xbox so I started and I sucked so badly that after a while he got so sick of me always getting killed or him kicking my ass all the time in football that he no longer wanted me to play with him anymore.  it has to be age and not being able to figure out all the buttons on the remote. He was so quick and me...as i said... i just sucked.  

• Like 3

As one of the younger guys here I say do it. Yea there are a lot of buttons but you will pick it up quicker than you think. Think of it like being a beginner at golf, if you suck who cares because no one is suppose to be good at it right away. 

• Like 2

I'm 43 and I play PS4 almost daily. Not a lot, maybe 30 mins, but enough to just unwind and have fun. 

I'm a huge fan of the EA Sports NHL franchise, although I won't be picking up this year's version since not enough has changed from NHL 18. I'll still play Rory McIlroy Golf too, and my son is always challenging me to Star Wars Battlefront matches (I always lose). When the Final Fantasy VII re-release finally comes out, I'll be one of the first in line to grab it.

Games almost always have multiple difficulty levels, so it's easy to start on a beginner level setting to get your feet wet, and then ramp up the challenge the more you get comfortable with the game & controls. 

• Like 2

I'm 47, we got my son an Xbox for Christmas last year and of course I've gotten a few games for myself. I like FPS like the COD stuff and Battlefront but the one I like the most is Forza 7 because I can race at Bathurst.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chisag said:

I have no desire top play strangers online

No telling how many weirdos you might run into online. Hmmm? LOL

I say get you one and get it out of your old system. I can almost bet you it will not be your thing; and in a fairly short period of time. Yes, I bought an Xbox and a handful of games several years ago. Initially, I was impressed and found it fun. But those feelings wore off rather quickly. Lucky for me, I purchased mine at WalMart and at the time they had a 90 day full return policy on the Xbox. (But not the games.) So, before the 90 day period expired I returned it. Whew!

• Like 2
  • Off Topic 1

3 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

No telling how many weirdos you might run into online. Hmmm? LOL

I say get you one and get it out of your old system. I can almost bet you it will not be your thing; and in a fairly short period of time. Yes, I bought an Xbox and a handful of games several years ago. Initially, I was impressed and found it fun. But those feelings wore off rather quickly. Lucky for me, I purchased mine at WalMart and at the time they had a 90 day full return policy on the Xbox. (But not the games.) So, before the 90 day period expired I returned it. Whew!

... As stated earlier I have never played video games and imagine there is a very good chance they are not my thing. But I will be spending winter in Phoenix and it might be a good way to stay in touch with my 27yr old son. I do not expect to become proficient, just decent enough to share a game on headphones with him and maybe his friends. 

• Like 1

I’m about to be 50 and have played video games since I was in grade school. I played games like Splinter Cell, and a first-person shooter WWII game, but I pretty much only play sports games now since I only have 45min to an hour to play at one time. I enjoy them! They are fun, and the graphics via these new TVs are great! My son (15) is trying to get me to play Fortnite and Destiny with him, but I haven’t yet. I’ll spend some time with him during the holidays. He doesn’t play any sports games, so I’ll have to play his style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

59 and doin fine, I play XBox almost everyday. I play games and chat with my son but I never play online. Red Dead Redemption 2 is what I am ambling through at the moment. I’ve been playing since pong not hardcore gaming just to entertain the 12 year old in me.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, chisag said:

... Thanks Wedgie, I have no desire top play strangers online. Just my son and his friends and making fun of me would be the point. Kinda like Papi on Highly Questionable. 😜

Do what I did, I practiced when he was at school so when he asked me to play he was like "Dad you're pretty good at this"........then he added "for a noob" 😉

Yes there are numerous buttons and I cant get used to it, but I've played PC games and they have as many buttons to use and I play pretty well, so I'd say persevere and you'll do just fine, its a laugh and the modern way to play with your kids.

Remember, you don't stop playing games when you get old, you get old when you stop playing games!

have fun!

Edited by perseveringgolfer
  • Like 1

I’m about to be 50 and have played video games since I was in grade school. I played games like Splinter Cell, and a first-person shooter WWII game, but I pretty much only play sports games now since I only have 45min to an hour to play at one time. I enjoy them! They are fun, and the graphics via these new TVs are great! My son (15) is trying to get me to play Fortnite and Destiny with him, but I haven’t yet. I’ll spend some time with him during the holidays. He doesn’t play any sports games, so I’ll have to play his style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jump on Destiny. The Forsaken expansion has been quite good. There is always something to do, and both the PvP and PvE elements are great.