Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
edingc

Anyone else have badges falling off of Wilson C300s?

Long story short: I purchased a demo set of Wilson C300 irons in excellent condition (almost never hit) from Diamond Tour Golf on eBay for a great price. After my first two trips to the range, both the 5 iron and 7 iron badges/medallions fell off while hitting. Wilson won't replace them under warranty because they were purchased through eBay and not an authorized dealer (that's the risk I took).

I was curious if anyone else had experienced this? Unfortunately, I was unable to recover either badge. The 5 iron flew off without me noticing until later, and the 7 iron went too far into a busy range to venture out to get it safely. 

At this point I'm contemplating 3D printing some new ones to fill the void. Nothing wrong with the clubs, but they do make a slightly more metallic sound when hit now. Has anyone else ever tried something like this? 

I was a tester for the C300's earlier this year and have about 100+ rounds on them. I have not had any issues with either the paint fill or the badges. You might try reaching out to some of the others that tested the irons - here's the link to the stage 1 and 2 testing:

• Like 1

Figured I would follow up as well.   The C300 Forged are still my gamers since the testing.  The only issue I had during the testing was that some of the paintfill in the numbers started to come out.  It is interesting that I haven't had any more issues with that since the conclusion of testing.   Other that normal scratching on the chrome from use,  the clubs are still in fantastic shape.  

Thanks for the replies. 

Thankfully I have access to a 3D printer, so I may put something together in Sketchup and see what I can come up with. I just wanted to check in here to see if anyone else was having problems. Disappointed Wilson won't do anything about it, but it does say explicitly in their warranty that their warranty only applies to the original purchaser, and that eBay and Craigslist purchases are strictly not covered:

• The warranty claim is made by the original purchaser of the Product with a valid proof of purchase from an authorized Wilson dealer (i.e., this limited warranty does not extend to purchases made from: (i) auction sites such as eBay or Craigslist, (ii) unauthorized dealers selling via third party marketplaces such as Amazon Marketplace, or (iii) dealers selling altered, doctored or counterfeit products);

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Thanks for the replies. 

Thankfully I have access to a 3D printer, so I may put something together in Sketchup and see what I can come up with. I just wanted to check in here to see if anyone else was having problems. Disappointed Wilson won't do anything about it, but it does say explicitly in their warranty that their warranty only applies to the original purchaser, and that eBay and Craigslist purchases are strictly not covered:

What about having W/S replace the badges for a charge vs. warranty. It might be minimal $$. 

Bummer about your irons, but I'll bet Wilson will help.  Having recently been fitted and teetering on pulling the lever for a set of G400's, I wondered about this same thing.  The G400's have a large noise/vibration dampening thingy on the back and my first thought was just how long before that went AWOL.  Ball impacts create a pretty healthy signal that will wreak havoc on anything not secured really well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Bummer about your irons, but I'll bet Wilson will help.  Having recently been fitted and teetering on pulling the lever for a set of G400's, I wondered about this same thing.  The G400's have a large noise/vibration dampening thingy on the back and my first thought was just how long before that went AWOL.  Ball impacts create a pretty healthy signal that will wreak havoc on anything not secured really well. 

I have a similar "emblem" on my Ping G20's (which are now retired). Early last year I noticed that it was gone on my 6i. Ping told me to send it back and they'll install a new one at no charge - which they did. So I wouldn't worry too much about the 'thingy" falling off. 

• Like 2

Thanks for posting your experiences, guys. Wilson got back to me. At this time they don't sell replacement badges and they do no repair their clubs (at least not at my expense). While that's a bummer, gives me some motivation to figure something out with a 3D printer. 

On 1/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, fixyurdivot said:

The sound difference is quite pronounced on the irons missing the badges. Crazy how much that little piece of plastic does.

That's a really interesting scenario, and the first I've ever heard about the badging coming off of the C300s. I was also a tester and like the others, had some issues with paintfill but never an issue with the actual badge. It's disappointing that W/S won't even be able to repair it for you, I almost wonder if there was some issue with those irons that occurred after they left W/S.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, russtopherb said:

That's a really interesting scenario, and the first I've ever heard about the badging coming off of the C300s. I was also a tester and like the others, had some issues with paintfill but never an issue with the actual badge. It's disappointing that W/S won't even be able to repair it for you, I almost wonder if there was some issue with those irons that occurred after they left W/S.

These came from eBay (from Diamond Tour Golf -- at least a reputable company) so it's entirely possible they had some sort of issue that wouldn't be found in a new set. Now, I paid 1/4 the price of a new set, so I'm not too upset. The KBS shafts are almost worth what I paid for the entire set. And they hit very nicely. But still, it's odd they just came flying off. Oh well!

49 minutes ago, edingc said:

These came from eBay (from Diamond Tour Golf -- at least a reputable company) so it's entirely possible they had some sort of issue that wouldn't be found in a new set. Now, I paid 1/4 the price of a new set, so I'm not too upset. The KBS shafts are almost worth what I paid for the entire set. And they hit very nicely. But still, it's odd they just came flying off. Oh well!

Can you glue them back on? 

6 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Can you glue them back on? 

I would have, except the 5 iron happened without me noticing until much later and the 7 iron went out a ways into tall grass on a busy range. Wasn't going to risk it! Haha.

These are real deal. Diamond Tour is also Hurricane Golf, and they sell name brand stuff as well.

Anyhow, I actually reached out to Diamond Tour and they are going to reach out to their Wilson reps on my behalf. So good on them for helping. We'll see if anything comes out of it.

• Like 2

This is a perfect example of why Ping is Ping and Wilson is Wilson. Ping doesn’t want their products in people’s bags with the badges falling off. They will gladly fix it free of charge so the brands durability or quality isn’t reflected upon negatively. Wilson on the other hand, doesn’t even do repairs or can’t even send the OP new badges.

If I saw a year old set of clubs in someone’s bag and the badges were already falling off, well, I wouldn’t even consider them next equipment purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, deejaid said:

This is a perfect example of why Ping is Ping and Wilson is Wilson. Ping doesn’t want their products in people’s bags with the badges falling off. They will gladly fix it free of charge so the brands durability or quality isn’t reflected upon negatively. Wilson on the other hand, doesn’t even do repairs or can’t even send the OP new badges.

If I saw a year old set of clubs in someone’s bag and the badges were already falling off, well, I wouldn’t even consider them next equipment purchase.

So just a little more info on my previous post. I had originally inquired if I could get one to replace the one on my 6i. I was told they replace them for free only if you send the club back - that way they're sure it's not going on a counterfeit club. 

• Like 2

So just a little more info on my previous post. I had originally inquired if I could get one to replace the one on my 6i. I was told they replace them for free only if you send the club back - that way they're sure it's not going on a counterfeit club. 

I understand that. My point was that Ping will gladly fix it even if you are the 3rd owner of a 20 year old set of irons. They don’t want their clubs in people’s bags looking like s***, regardless if they were purchased from an authorized dealer or from eBay. That’s why Ping is one of the top OEM’s, if not the top. Their customer service is second to none.

I had a set of 20 year old ISI irons and wanted to replace the shaft bands that were tattered. I called them up, they asked if I needed stiff or regular bands, and the guy said, “I’ll need to check, we might have some.” He could have easily just ignored my request but he went out of his way to find the bands for my 20 year old JZ shafts, they also sent them to me free of charge.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

I understand that. My point was that Ping will gladly fix it even if you are the 3rd owner of a 20 year old set of irons. They don’t want their clubs in people’s bags looking like s***, regardless if they were purchased from an authorized dealer or from eBay. That’s why Ping is one of the top OEM’s, if not the top. Their customer service is second to none.

I had a set of 20 year old ISI irons and wanted to replace the shaft bands that were tattered. I called them up, they asked if I needed stiff or regular bands, and the guy said, “I’ll need to check, we might have some.” He could have easily just ignored my request but he went out of his way to find the bands for my 20 year old JZ shafts, they also sent them to me free of charge.

That's awesome that they did that for you. I'm not upset if Wilson won't do anything. But yes, it's nice to know there are companies out there that will.

On that note, Diamond Tour has been fantastic for me today on multiple fronts. In addition to the badges, I had a missing shaft in an order I placed last week for DIY Overspeed clubs. Called today and Cody took care of me, and allowed me to place another order that will be sent with the replacement shafts with no shipping cost. Whole process took less than three minutes.

15 hours ago, deejaid said:

As much as I love the quality & value that W/S brings to the table, this is a side effect of their company size and price point. I wouldn't expect the same response from W/S than a Ping or a Titleist or Callaway... just as I wouldn't expect the same level of service from a dealership if I bought a Corolla vs a Lexus. 

I do like that W/S will help out if you send the club back, and I understand their reasoning, but they just don't sell at the volume of a major OEM, so they're not going to have parts from clubs built 10-20 years ago like a Ping.

In any event - I hope this all works out for the OP. W/S has always been open with communications in my experience and I'm looking forward to a pic of the irons with new badges on them.

• Like 1