Sign in to follow this  
TR1PTIK

Rickie Fowler drops a deuce on the new drop rule

Man, and I thought I was tightly wound.  😔

It’s getting a bit old now with the dropping of the golf ball. There shouldn’t be any issues with it on the tour at this point. If there is, it’s their own fault. This is supposed to save time because you drop from a lower height into a bigger area, so the ball should not move as much as it would from a higher drop, therefore,  it should put the ball in play much quicker than before. 

• Like 1

I believe that a "rule massage" for taking a drop is coming soon from the USGA and R&A.

• Like 1

I hope they'll also rethink (did they even think?) the pin-in ; pin-out rule. It's already turned into mess IMO. Where it used to be understood the pin comes out unless tended is now a guessing - asking game and needless confusion. I haven't witnessed one player improve their putting by leaving the pin in. And pace of play is unchanged. The new pin rule is a forced nuisance. I'll contend yet again.... most putts are missed on one side or the other. Are they not? Others come up short. Except on rare occasions are putts not holed because they were dead online but too fast where a pin in could have potentially caused a holed putt. And that's also assuming the ball doesn't deflect. Pins are round. Not square in shape. It does happen but it's just extremely rare and lucky. We've all seen and had those in the past. Expl: putting from the collar with Pin in and the ball is on a rapid pace (hit too hard) and would have run by the hole a mile. But by a lucky chance (and poor stroke) it slams into the  pin perfectly square and drops! Yeah!! What luck! Same with chipping. It happens but it's rare at any level of play. We all read often how people struggle with putting. We'll it's not because they weren't allowed to leave a pin in. That would be a convenient excuse I suppose but there are many reasons - factors that do not include the pin whatsoever. Care to name a few? USGA, ditch the new pin rule.!!

Now so I don't totally jack the thread I don't necessarily have a problem with the new Dropping rule - other than it looks goofy but; why not just allow players to determine for themselves what's best for them and their situation. I'd suggest you may drop from anywhere between shoulder level to knee level. Your choice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I believe that a "rule massage" for taking a drop is coming soon from the USGA and R&A.

In my opinion, I believe this rule will at least get a full year before being considered for change.   There were pretty clearly stated reasons for their choice, best explained here:

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/golf-new-rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019 (1).pdf

in item 17. Its no more complicated than the previous rule (drop from the height of THIS body part), and to be honest, I don't think it looks bad unless someone is trying to make it look bad.  And if I see an attractive young lady ending over a bit, I'm not going to complain.

The one rule which I think might be reconsidered is the flagstick rule.  Based on every comment from the USGA and R&A, it seems to me like they didn't do any research on the effects.  I'm not sure the effects on scoring will be significant, but there's at least a perception of advantage. I think it has the potential to save a few seconds, but without proper communication, also has the potential to lose a little time.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In my opinion, I believe this rule will at least get a full year before being considered for change.   There were pretty clearly stated reasons for their choice, best explained here:

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/golf-new-rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019 (1).pdf

in item 17. Its no more complicated than the previous rule (drop from the height of THIS body part), and to be honest, I don't think it looks bad unless someone is trying to make it look bad.  And if I see an attractive young lady ending over a bit, I'm not going to complain.

The one rule which I think might be reconsidered is the flagstick rule.  Based on every comment from the USGA and R&A, it seems to me like they didn't do any research on the effects.  I'm not sure the effects on scoring will be significant, but there's at least a perception of advantage. I think it has the potential to save a few seconds, but without proper communication, also has the potential to lose a little time.  

I believe the rule will be modified to allow from knee height to something higher, and it will be before the end of the year.

It will be interesting to see what Augusta National does with the flagstick rule.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I believe the rule will be modified to allow from knee height to something higher, and it will be before the end of the year.

It will be interesting to see what Augusta National does with the flagstick rule.

If they choose to play by the Rules of Golf, there's nothing they can do.  They're not allowed to institute a penalty for something that the rules allow.

And if the drop rule is changed this year, I'll be wrong.  That's happened before, just ask my wife.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I doubt they change the rule this year or next and iirc any major rules changes occur every 3 years. The rule probavky didn’t need to change and once they decided to do they probably should have gone with just place it vice dropping from the knee.

its a bigger deal than it needs to be because Bryson wanted to keep acting liked a spoiled pompous brat in Hawaii and Rickie had a brain fart a couple weeks ago

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I doubt they change the rule this year or next and iirc any major rules changes occur every 3 years. The rule probavky didn’t need to change and once they decided to do they probably should have gone with just place it vice dropping from the knee.

its a bigger deal than it needs to be because Bryson wanted to keep acting liked a spoiled pompous brat in Hawaii and Rickie had a brain fart a couple weeks ago

If their decision for the change ever had anything at all to do with pace of play, this is definitely the route they should have taken IMO. Hopefully they will at least make a modification to allow drops from anywhere between knee and shoulder height.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

If their decision for the change ever had anything at all to do with pace of play, this is definitely the route they should have taken IMO. Hopefully they will at least make a modification to allow drops from anywhere between knee and shoulder height.

I doubt they will go that route. The initial proposal was changed from up to 1” off the ground to from the knee. They will either change it to place the ball or leave as is and won’t have it be between two points on the body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I doubt they will go that route. The initial proposal was changed from up to 1” off the ground to from the knee. They will either change it to place the ball or leave as is and won’t have it be between two points on the body.

In my opinion, placing the ball removes all randomness from the situation, and that simply isn't appropriate.  Nobody deserves to have the most perfect lie available, at least in my opinion.  Increasing the drop height, or allowing a range, defeats the purpose of the rules changes around dropping, which was to limit the distance you could go from the original location.  The limited relief area, the requirement that the ball stay within the relief area, and the height of the drop are all pieces to move towards that goal.  

I don't think the rule needs to be revised, its just not that difficult, and in my experience this year, the lower drop DOES decrease the roll-out.  If anything, I could see raising the height to waist-high, its still lower than before, and able to be done without bending anything.

Oh, the initial proposal was "through the air, as little as 1 inch", so you could have dropped from head high if you like.  

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I would think in practice this would have the direct opposite affect of speeding up play. I know when playing and am able to place the ball it takes me longer than a drop would. I am looking for a specific lie with certain conditions depending on the shot. When dropping I will clean up area if any needs to be done but its just drop and go.