HardcoreLooper

Blades vs. Game Improvement - Where's the Data?

Our Sponsors

Yeah, I definitely agree there's more good strikes with the blade. But like [mention=65848]RickyBobby_PR[/mention] said, maybe more important is that the poor and very poor shots are grouped a lot tighter.
I do wonder if perhaps the mat might be altering the outcome some? Or something else I can't think of. I also think it's curious why Crossfield games the Launchers if this video seems to suggest blades are the way to go, even if that's just for him.
I'm not totally sure what to do with it to be honest! I do like Mark's honest and frank perspectives. I think I remember TXG doing a video on blades vs GI irons, but I don't remember their conclusion. I'll have to dig that up and watch it tomorrow to jog my memory.

Juuuust because it showed up on my suggested videos...

• Like 4

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4:  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

But wouldn’t any club that you pure go further than your other shots? Other than the apex cf16 for many and for a few the p790 and i500 these had those occasional fliers but when many amateurs experience that type of results it’s from that s*** where everything fell in place and the property compressed the ball

No,  I am fairly consistent at finding the middle.   When I pure my mc501 7 iron it goes 177-182.  If I miss it it will be a bit short but nothing to bad.  With any of the above irons I bet at least twice a round I would “pure” a shot thinking it was going to be right beside the pin and end up air mailing the green.   I am not talking about flyers from the rough or those shots that go further because of adrenaline I am talking about stock shot.

Edited by Hotdocta
  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, B.Boston said:

LOL you and everyone else knows which one I would go for out of those 2. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

No,  I am fairly consistent at finding the middle.   When I pure my mc501 7 iron it goes 177-182.  If I miss it it will be a bit short but nothing to bad.  With any of the above irons I bet at least twice a round I would “pure” a shot thinking it was going to be right beside the pin and end up air mailing the green.   I am not talking about flyers from the rough or those shots that go further because of adrenaline I am talking about stock shot.

Yeah, while I haven’t done any of my own real testing I remember reading about how the AP2s were designed to not have “hot spots” like other clubs at the time.

It was suggesting that irons chasing distance with more spring like faces would not be as consistent distance wise.

It appears that Mark might be seeing something like this in his shots here, but I’m not sure. I’m pretty sure I but my AP2 the same distance as I was hitting my r7 irons before that.

I will say the only time I really feel like I airmailed one is from a flyer lie or if I misjudge the wind, but the AP2 are not close to a blade. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

LOL you and everyone else knows which one I would go for out of those 2. 

The big question we all have is MacGregor or Miura in Big Stu’s dream bag?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, B.Boston said:

They also did this follow up video with a G400 vs Miura for a little more extreme example than the Srixon

• Like 1

Right Handed

Driver: :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft, 9.5º)

FW: :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft, 15º)

Hybrid: *Currently Testing* :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5, 18º)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52 & 60): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

They also did this follow up video with a G400 vs Miura for a little more extreme example than the Srixon

For those interested:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hotdocta said:

While finding the middle is good it’s not an indication of puring imo. Puring a shot to me is proper compression of the ball and the sound/feel of softness. Considering even the pros don’t pure 100% of their shots even though the find the middle quite frequently us amatuers arent puring a lot of shots.

We may see the consistency in distances and consistency in distance lost on missed shots when a shot is properly compressed compared to our normal shot there’s going to be some added distance.

As mentioned in my early reply there have been some clubs that have known hot shots like the cf16 and other that have reports of them but not nearly to the extent the cf16 has. Someone with you distance is probably prone to the hot shots for some of the clubs that have had those reports. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

For those interested:

I meant to throw the link in myself, must have forgot 😂. Thanks for covering me!

• Like 2

Right Handed

Driver: :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft, 9.5º)

FW: :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft, 15º)

Hybrid: *Currently Testing* :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5, 18º)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52 & 60): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

I meant to throw the link in myself, must have forgot . Thanks for covering me!

Don’t thank me! Thank apple, google, YouTube, Facebook, and whoever else is stealing all the data from my phone because both of those videos were right on my suggested playlist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Don’t thank me! Thank apple, google, YouTube, Facebook, and whoever else is stealing all the data from my phone because both of those videos were right on my suggested playlist. emoji15.png

The man is watching always!

For me I dont know the data I just know for me I have always been non-blade simply for the fact that my swing is steep and if I used them I would probably be to China in an hour.

image.jpeg.7f9b5a8e4db23e6fe0b3243e64bedf10.jpeg

• Like 1

Check out my review for the :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal:

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g

:adams-small: 2H & 4H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While finding the middle is good it’s not an indication of puring imo. Puring a shot to me is proper compression of the ball and the sound/feel of softness. Considering even the pros don’t pure 100% of their shots even though the find the middle quite frequently us amatuers arent puring a lot of shots.

We may see the consistency in distances and consistency in distance lost on missed shots when a shot is properly compressed compared to our normal shot there’s going to be some added distance.

As mentioned in my early reply there have been some clubs that have known hot shots like the cf16 and other that have reports of them but not nearly to the extent the cf16 has. Someone with you distance is probably prone to the hot shots for some of the clubs that have had those reports. 

For me puring is hitting it in the center and it flying the exact distance it was suppose to.  I am no pro though and my swing by no means is anywhere close to a pro.   So a lot of bad shots are definitely me, not the club.  There are occasional times where I feel like the stars align and my swing is “perfect”, lol for an amateur, and it goes a bit further,  but not like what I was seeing with the gi irons.  I guess what I am trying to say is that the dispersion front to back is just way tighter on one piece forged irons.  Of course, this is only my observation and it could be in my head.

Totally agree with the cf16’s though.   It was unfortunate, because I thought over all those were very good irons.

To ad to this thread, I also do think that for us amateurs who do not have amazing swings,  when we are having a bad day, blades are definitely more punishing.  

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

The man is watching always!

For me I dont know the data I just know for me I have always been non-blade simply for the fact that my swing is steep and if I used them I would probably be to China in an hour.

image.jpeg.7f9b5a8e4db23e6fe0b3243e64bedf10.jpeg

The Man might be displeased at the lack of proper capitalization.  🤔😇

• Haha 1

Cobra King LTD @ 10.5*, ProtoPype 80 X, 43.5"
2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
3-PW:  Mizuno MP37, DGS300
GW: Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
SW:  Ram TG-898 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, Cleveland Designed By, or Mizuno TPM-2, all at 34", or Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Pro or FG Tour, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc

Sometimes play 2-PW Golden Ram TW282 or 2-PW 1980 Golden Rams

Occasionally swap in Orlimar or Ram persimmons at the top end of bag

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

The Man might be displeased at the lack of proper capitalization.  🤔😇

I like to make them think I am not so smart so they overlook me 🤨

• Like 1

Check out my review for the :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal:

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g

:adams-small: 2H & 4H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

4 hours ago, B.Boston said:

For those interested:

Really enjoyed and learned from this video, Thanks

• Like 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram

Waiting on my :cobra-small: SpeedZones

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    

:cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag

:titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

Really enjoyed and learned from this video, Thanks

I like the stuff they put on that channel. They get into the tech quite a bit and Ian is full of fitting knowledge for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I like the stuff they put on that channel. They get into the tech quite a bit and Ian is full of fitting knowledge for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've watched a few of their videos before but this time I subscribed !

• Like 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram

Waiting on my :cobra-small: SpeedZones

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    

:cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag

:titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

I watched the Crossfield video and made me think of this thread. Obviously he is one person and I noticed there were more good shots with the blade. Like mentioned by others TXG videos mean so much more to me then Crossfield. I want to do a apples to apples compare with my MP-33 irons & TS-1 to really compare and understand the pros and cons of each.

I love @ncwoz comment about Mark playing the Launchers if he hit his Top Flites so well. 

• Like 1

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I have a decent handicap but have no desire to play blades. I want all game improvement features to help me get the ball up,  hit it straight, and land it where I want to.  If these features help to lower your  score I'm all about it. I don't need to have a fully matched set of brand "X" it's all about what works for me.  

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Wilson D200 R Flex (5 - Gap)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"