Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Allen Edmonds Honors Collection Golf Shoes - REVIEW

• SPY VIP

Allen Edmonds Honors Collection Golf Shoes --REVIEW

An Official MyGolfSpy.com Review

What is that Golden Glow?

Do you know what I am referencing? In the film Pulp Fiction, there is a briefcase that Sam Jackson carries around that emits a golden glow when opened. We never see what is inside the case, but every character in the film that looks inside seems very impressed. I bring this up because I think I may have found what was in the briefcase, a pair of Allen Edmonds golf shoes. So maybe the shoebox did not release golden light when opened, but I am sure that I had a jaw-dropped look similar to the actors in the film.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

Style (20 Points)

When I first opened up the boxes I was almost stunned by the looks of these shoes. Think a John Hughes slow motion soft focus shot as the pretty girl walks by Anthony Michael Hall. Stunning is probably the best adjective to describe these shoes. I received one pair of the Double Eagle model in black leather with grey mesh and one pair of the Redan in white leather with black sharkskin accent. That's right, sharkskin. I was totally blown away with how nice they look. My wife laughed at me as I slowly shook my head back and forth as I looked at these shoes in disbelief.

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

These shoes are beautiful.

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

The leatherwork in both of the models is exceptional. All the pieces of leather are all trimmed perfectly and I could not find a single missed stitch. Although both models represent classic shoe styles, I find Allen Edmonds' take on the classic style very modern. The Double Eagle takes a wingtip shoe and by adding the mesh sides, creates a beautiful hybrid of style and sustenance. I love the little brass badge on the heel too. For some reason, the presence of that badge makes me think that someone held these shoes while they were being made. Made by hand, not machine. The Redan is a classic two-tone golf shoe that looks simple, yet sleek at the same time. Did I mention that the black sides are sharkskin?

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

These shoes look so good that I actually went out and bought new socks before I wore them.

Style Score= 20/20

Performance (60 Points)

So on one hand, I wanted to put the shoes in a nice, well lit, corner of my office and just look at them. On the other hand though, these are golf shoes. Beautiful, hand-made golf shoes, admittedly. But these shoes are made for playing golf. So off to the course I went. For sake of reference, all on course testing was done while walking the course. No riding for this kid...

Comfort

Allen Edmonds shoes feature a cork foot bed that will mold to your foot during use, making the shoe custom fit for your foot. While I have not taken the shoe apart to check this claim. I can say that the fit is excellent. Credit for the comfort again goes to the cobblers at Allen Edmonds. They make your shoe to your specifications. Men's sizes run from 6.5 to 15 with B, D, E, and EEE widths available. For someone with a wide foot, this kind of sizing is a must. I ordered my shoes 10.5 E and the fit is perfect. The best recommendation for comfort is that I forgot that I was wearing new shoes while I playing. They just felt great. I imagine that as they get worn more and more that the high quality leather will conform to my feet more and more and they will feel even better.

The Double Eagle style is definitely well vented. You can easily see through the mesh and also feel the air as it moves through the shoe. So far I have worn these in mild weather, but I can see the increased ventilation being a true boon in the summer. Another added benefit of the mesh is that it makes the shoe feel very light.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

Swinging a Club

These shoes provide an excellent base for the golf swing. There are eleven stinger spikes in each shoe. Traction was definitely not an issue. These did great both on the course and on the range. Initially, I was concerned that the heel looked a bit high, but I did not feel like I was leaning forward into the shot any more than normal.

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

The Redan model was a trooper through all conditions. The Double Eagle did let a bit of water through the mesh sides when I went through some pretty damp rough. Also, the Double Eagles did collect a bit more sand in the bunkers than the more enclosed Redan. Just a bit more than normal, but this could be an issue if you tend to really dig your feet into the bunkers. This is my only real performance issue with the Double Eagles. It is not a huge issue, and is a natural byproduct of selecting a shoe with a mesh side. Perhaps I should just avoid the traps more.

Water

The waterproof nature of these shoes was one of my primary concerns. Both models have a “Rubber Tap Waterloc@” sole. Not real sure what that it, but no water went through the bottoms of the shoe, so it must be working. I figured that the Double Eagle would not be the rainy round shoe of choice, but I was concerned about the more traditional Redan's level of water resistance. Most other shoes will advertise a one-year, or a two-year waterproof guarantee. After scouring the Allen Edmonds site for the waterproof guarantee, I fired off an email asking about how the shoes hold up to wet conditions. Here is the response:

Hi Dave - Here is some insight into the question you had about waterproofing leather shoes. Allen Edmonds sources the world for the finest calfskins available to make our golf shoes. With this in mind, the resiliency that great leathers have is second to none.

When a foot is in a shoe its natural reaction is to perspire. As the perspiration occurs in the shoe your feet get wet. Great leather will let the moisture escape and not trap it in. If the leather gets wet from the outside, a simple air-drying at room temperature along with cedar shoe trees will preserve the shoe.

Also the use of quality shoe care products will restore the leather for many years of service. In a waterproof shoe, there are so many chemicals used to try to keep out the water that the shoe does not even resemble leather. Inferior leathers are used very frequently as well. The very hard like coating that is used cracks where the shoe breaks in and never can be polished white, black or other color again.

So it comes back to quality materials makes a quality shoe. I will have to invest in some cedar trees and learn how to use shoe care products. Or maybe just occasionally bring them to a pro for a touch up.

IMG_1243.jpg

While playing with these, I did not notice any water issues with the Redans and only a bit through the mesh with the Double Eagles. I feel confident taking these out for a morning round when the dew is thick, but I would likely stick to my cheaper spikes on truly soggy days.

Performance Score= 58/60

Value (20 Points)

Quality like this does not come cheap. Each model of shoe in the Honors Collection lists for $345. They did come with some nice extras like additional replacement spikes, a spike wrench, and soft drawstring shoe bags. Even with the extras though, these shoes are at the high end of the pricing spectrum. High-grade materials and hand craftsmanship come with a price. It does sound like the initial investment will give you a pair of shoes that will last well beyond other manufacturers' two-year waterproof guarantees. More than one person has told me that they have been wearing their Allen Edmonds non-golf shoes for years and years, raving about the quality. I don't have anything but a subjective opinion at this point, but they really do seem built to last.

Should you really beat on your shoes, Allen Edmonds offers a Recrafting Service. For $120 you can send in the shoes and have them restored to “near-new condition”. Other, less expensive, less intensive repairs are also available. That's cheaper than sending your Cameron putter in for spa treatment. :)

The only knock on value may be that the shoes are lacking a bit in the versatility department for me. I always keep a pair of shoes in my trunk just in case I can swing by the shop and hit some balls on the way home from work throughout the year. Those go to shoes can handle just about any condition that I come across. I think that the annual play scope for the Honors Collection shoes is a bit narrower, especially for the Double Eagles. Don't get me wrong. I will play many rounds with these shoes this summer and the summers beyond, especially the Double Eagles. In spite of that though, these shoes strike me as being somewhat better suited for good weather. If you live in a place where golf is seasonal anyway, this is not a real issue. But if you play year round, will likely need to leave the Double Eagles at home for the rough weather rounds.

Value Score= 18/20

Total Score= 96/100

Summary

Allen Edmonds makes an insanely nice golf shoe. Both the Double Eagle and Redan models are great looking and performing shoes. The Redan is a classic in every way, with a touch of exotic material pizazz. The Double Eagle's mesh construction is a marvel for ventilation but comes with a bit of a cost in relation to sand and water. Both models are crafted with more care and expertise than I have ever experienced in a golf shoe, or any shoe for that matter. I definitely know where to go when I need new wingtips for work.

IMG_1263.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The golden glow in the briefcase was Marsellus Wallace's soul. Notice the band-aid at the base of his skull. It ties back to ancient Indian ritual, yes, I'm a Tarrantino freak, and that's my favorite movie he made. If those are size 10.5-11, feel free to send me the black ones.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 9 years later...

Winner-winner, chicken dinner!!!

NINE YEAR OLD POST!!! 2011!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Winner-winner, chicken dinner!!!

NINE YEAR OLD POST!!! 2011!!!!

John
Size 10.5

I wear shoes everyday.  So I would be a good tester.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO