Sign in to follow this  
HAC

New 5 wood - what should I look for?

Our Sponsors

Most of my golf clubs are 2 to 5 years old, but my 5 wood, a Cobra S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft, is about 12 years old.  It came about for a couple of reasons.  About five years ago, I hated my old driver.  Then, I was out of town playing golf with clients at a work event and, after about 14 holes where I was not driving well,  borrowed a Ping G rental driver that one of them was using and went on and hit four nice drives.  Within a few months I had bought a Ping G driver and have loved it.

Then, a couple of years ago, I wanted new hybrids and wedges and ended up buying new irons as well because of gapping issues and because as I got older it was probably better to get slightly lighter shafts.

I have put away my 3 wood (in my mid 60s, I no longer have the swing speed to hit a 3 wood and hit the 5 wood better) and bought an extra wedge.  I have always hit my 5 wood off the deck pretty well.  

I am left handed and have swing speed of about 90 MPH with my driver.  

I hit my 5 wood pretty straight and hit it about 190-200 yards.

My irons are bent 2 degrees flat and my Titleist hybrid is at a D4 setting.

My first two thoughts are trying Ping (my driver) and Titleist (my hybrids and irons).  What else should I try?

• Ping G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • Cobra S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • Titleist H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • Titleist 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • Volkey SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • Cleveland Smart Sole 3 Wedge C
  • Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball Srizon Q Star Tour or Z Star

Cobra f7 or f8, 5/6

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

A good fitter and see what works best for you. 

Other wise you will bet recommendations for every one that’s on the market now or 2-3 years old.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The obligatory 'get fit" advice noted. 

That said, i'd give strong consideration to the PING G410 5 wood.  First and foremost, I am the same age and maybe a couple mph slower swing speed than you, and I have the 3,7 and 9 FW.   I am able to get the 7 and 9 wood up high enough very easily, like you I found I couldn't quite get the launch on the 3W, so I'm going to trade it in for a 5w

The other big factor is you mentioning you play your clubs a bit flat, one of the biggest changes for the PING FW line with the 410 is that a flat setting is now included in it's 8 way sleeve. 

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

What do you want out of your 5-wood? Distance, forgiveness, combination of the two? What kind of look suits your eye? Are you going to use it more off the tee, or would you like the ability to hit it from a wide range of surfaces? If you start to answer those kind of questions, you can narrow down your search. 

Personally I like the carbon-fiber or matte black look, a narrower soleplate so I can hit it from a bunch of surfaces, I don't hit it off the tee much so my face doesn't need to be deep, and I have a high ball flight so I am looking for a little more distance and less forgiveness so I can reach those long par 4's or short par 5's in 2 with better stopping power than my 3 wood. Oh and I hate a lot of offset (usually not really an issue on woods). Plus I have a brand preference for PING to match my driver, so I would most likely try a Ping 410.

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I did love the ping 5-W at demo day last year

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

I always like the idea of new or upgrading because something is old. I went through this with my 5 wood last year. I have a old 2001 Adams tight lie at with the bimatrix shaft. I have always hit it well. Around 230 and pretty darn accurate. Thought new tech could give me a advantage so I went to a local golf fitter. He had me hit all of the new clubs in various shafts and results were I had gained a average of 1.5 yards distance more with a Callaway rogue. So take your 5 wood and compare everything side by side and see if anything feels better or if the performance is really worth it

Saw someone else already posted the "get fit" advice, but I ditched a 5-wood and went with the Great Big Bertha Heavenwood. As much of a point and shoot club as I've ever had.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C130S

Driver: :ping-small: G410 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :ping-small: G410 15*  w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Hybrids: :ping-small: G410 22*  w/ Tensei Blue

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX919 HMP 5-AW Forged w/ Modus 120s

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 55*/60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spyder X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

Fairways seem to be the club that a lot of golfers will keep in the bag that is much older than the rest of their clubs.  It can be hard to find a fairway that you get along with, if you fare well with your current one definitely don't trade it in when you get a different one!

Dave

I was having done issues with my Fairway Woods so I adjusted the lifts from 13.5 to 16 and from 18.5 to 20......started getting the balks in the air and I did not lose any distance....Cobra F8’s are terrific!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Cobra King F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Cobra King F8 GW(50*) SW(54*) LW(58*) Putter: 33" Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 mallet putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

On 5/7/2020 at 12:12 PM, Jchris05 said:

I always like the idea of new or upgrading because something is old. I went through this with my 5 wood last year. I have a old 2001 Adams tight lie at with the bimatrix shaft. I have always hit it well. Around 230 and pretty darn accurate. Thought new tech could give me a advantage so I went to a local golf fitter. He had me hit all of the new clubs in various shafts and results were I had gained a average of 1.5 yards distance more with a Callaway rogue. So take your 5 wood and compare everything side by side and see if anything feels better or if the performance is really worth it

So what you're saying is if it's not broken don't try to fix it

• Like 1

I too am in the market for a 5w,  to replace my driving iron.  When our stores open up again, I am going to try these three:  Srixon ZF85, Ping G410, and Cobra Speedzone Tour.  I am open to trying others, but these are the top three that I want to try. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3

I love the Ping, Cobra and Callaway offerings the last few years regarding the #5 wood / lofts 17-21 degrees. Mainly because these newer generation #5 woods seem to yield extreme ease regarding high initial launch angle but not balloon height. So they are playable off the tee, from the deck and especially into the wind. I mention that last sentence as the older #5 woods that I played had the risk of ballooning. Imo these newer "lower spin" faces are helping regarding that aspect. And the good thing for the consumer that fits properly into a five wood, most brands are very good these days. Plus the shafts in these newer generation #5 woods are better matched to the club head.