Jump to content
Getoffmylawn

Putter Contact & Lag Putting Difficulty

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Does anyone have any good drills for working on consistent clubface contact with the putter, and specifically on the height of the clubface?

I seem to be really struggling with lag putting and feel the same stroke doesn't always transfer the same energy into the putt, and the ball will feel and sound a little different off the putter face.  I'm very confident in my face control, but my speed is very inconsistent and I'm pretty certain I'm not delivering the putter at the same point on the ball height-wise.  (Feel like I'm fumbling to express the problem here...hope everyone gets what I mean.)  I've been doing Stockton left-arm only drills trying to keep the putter low to the ground through the stroke, but I don't feel like I'm seeing results from the work.  Too many 3-putts are killing my rounds lately.

I putt left-hand low FWIF. 

Thanks.

 


Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old school simple method; take rubber bands and put them around putter leaving gap just barely bigger than the ball at the sweet spot. Should help with contact.

Ladder drill is really the best for speed. Try this variation. Throw two tees in the ground spaced a foot apart. Start at 3'-5' every time you make it between tees move back to a longer distance. 

  • Like 4

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old school simple method; take rubber bands and put them around putter leaving gap just barely bigger than the ball at the sweet spot. Should help with contact.
Ladder drill is really the best for speed. Try this variation. Throw two tees in the ground spaced a foot apart. Start at 3'-5' every time you make it between tees move back to a longer distance. 

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@THEZIPR23 gave you a good drill for heel/toe misses. You can put a pencil behind the ball which will help you not hit the top of the face. For ball position and stance setup with a yardstick and mark feet and ball positions to ensure consistent setup.
You can also use foot powder or impact tape to see where you are actually striking the ball.

  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@THEZIPR23 gave you a good drill for heel/toe misses. You can put a pencil behind the ball which will help you not hit the top of the face. For ball position and stance setup with a yardstick and mark feet and ball positions to ensure consistent setup.
You can also use foot powder or impact tape to see where you are actually striking the ball.

Love the pencil idea, thanks


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use left hand low, but I always start my putting practice with right hand only putts from 3 feet then 6 feet holding the angle in my right wrist through the putt.  Tiger does this.  Putts have to go in or hit the target; never short.  If you have mishits at this short range, you will have difficulty with lag putts.

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I don't use left hand low, but I always start my putting practice with right hand only putts from 3 feet then 6 feet holding the angle in my right wrist through the putt.  Tiger does this.  Putts have to go in or hit the target; never short.  If you have mishits at this short range, you will have difficulty with lag putts.

I learned to putt like this. Working as an Asst Pro there were some long boring afternoon/evenings. I would go out to the putting green and practice but inevitably the phone would ring, so left hand holding phone right hand holding putter and just hitting all kinds of different putts. Haven't done it in years but there are many good golfers who I can out putt with just my right hand. 

  • Like 2

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do all those drills a million times... and then buy an Evnroll.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha ha. I actually am wondering if I need a new flat stick...my current Scotty is toe-balanced and I’ve gone left-hand low with a more straight-back straight-through Stockton motion that screams face-balanced....


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha ha. I actually am wondering if I need a new flat stick...my current Scotty is toe-balanced and I’ve gone left-hand low with a more straight-back straight-through Stockton motion that screams face-balanced....


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Before you get another putter evaluate if you can consistently start the ball on your intended line and can control speed.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cnosil said:


Before you get another putter evaluate if you can consistently start the ball on your intended line and can control speed.

I'm with you, and I definitely don't want a new putter, I like my Scotty.  I don't struggle with starting the putt on line, it's just my speed control that needs work.

Playing a different course almost every time out probably isn't helping either. 

I do have some forward press in my stroke, I wonder if that is delivering the top of the putter face to the ball too much too. 


Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm with you, and I definitely don't want a new putter, I like my Scotty.  I don't struggle with starting the putt on line, it's just my speed control that needs work.
Playing a different course almost every time out probably isn't helping either. 
I do have some forward press in my stroke, I wonder if that is delivering the top of the putter face to the ball too much too. 

If you are starting online then the putter is fine.

As for green speeds, that is just a matter of adjustment. Always use the same tempo and figure out how far the ball is rolling on the green for stock stroke lengths/feels. Let’s say when you move the putter to your right big toe it goes 8 feet because when you practice that is how far it goes on the green/carpet you use for practice. On the course it goes 6 feet. That means greens are a little slower and you need to make a little bigger swing to go 8 feet. This is part of your warmup before a round and the first few holes.

As for the forward press, If you are consistent it shouldn’t matter since the ball would always
Have the same speed. Putting strokes are about consistency.

There is a webinar on Scott fawcetts YouTube page. During that webinar he talks about a PGA pro that rolled a bunch of 20 foot putts and the distance between the shortest and longest was about 6 feet. Speed control is hard, but you should be about to roll balls into a 3 Foot diameter circle around the hole. 3 footers should be about a 100% make
Rate.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cnosil said:


If you are starting online then the putter is fine.

As for green speeds, that is just a matter of adjustment. Always use the same tempo and figure out how far the ball is rolling on the green for stock stroke lengths/feels. Let’s say when you move the putter to your right big toe it goes 8 feet because when you practice that is how far it goes on the green/carpet you use for practice. On the course it goes 6 feet. That means greens are a little slower and you need to make a little bigger swing to go 8 feet. This is part of your warmup before a round and the first few holes.

As for the forward press, If you are consistent it shouldn’t matter since the ball would always
Have the same speed. Putting strokes are about consistency.

There is a webinar on Scott fawcetts YouTube page. During that webinar he talks about a PGA pro that rolled a bunch of 20 foot putts and the distance between the shortest and longest was about 6 feet. Speed control is hard, but you should be about to roll balls into a 3 Foot diameter circle around the hole. 3 footers should be about a 100% make
Rate.

Very helpful, thank you.


Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Very helpful, thank you.

Just to add to the forward press topic. It is possible to have too much and end up hitting the ball into the ground causing poor launch conditions. That could be fixed by adjusting loft. You mentioned Stockton and if I remember right hit approach dictates having a putter with a little more than standard loft to allow for the forward press.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cnosil said:


Just to add to the forward press topic. It is possible to have too much and end up hitting the ball into the ground causing poor launch conditions. That could be fixed by adjusting loft. You mentioned Stockton and if I remember right hit approach dictates having a putter with a little more than standard loft to allow for the forward press.

Yes, you're right.  If you read his Unconscious Putting book he most focuses on the mental aspect of things, but he does get into some technical info, and he advocates a forward press and loft on the putter....7 degrees actually.

In my case, I had a GolfTec putting lesson and he encouraged less press and not quite so much loft, so I'm at 5 degrees on the putter and the press is not as forward as I'd had it previously.  Most important, I'm confident I'm setting up consistently with it, although a putting mirror might be a good idea.

  • Like 1

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL. Can confirm. Never putted better. 


  • Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

Does anyone have any good drills for working on consistent clubface contact with the putter, and specifically on the height of the clubface?

I seem to be really struggling with lag putting and feel the same stroke doesn't always transfer the same energy into the putt, and the ball will feel and sound a little different off the putter face.  I'm very confident in my face control, but my speed is very inconsistent and I'm pretty certain I'm not delivering the putter at the same point on the ball height-wise.  (Feel like I'm fumbling to express the problem here...hope everyone gets what I mean.)  I've been doing Stockton left-arm only drills trying to keep the putter low to the ground through the stroke, but I don't feel like I'm seeing results from the work.  Too many 3-putts are killing my rounds lately.

I putt left-hand low FWIF. 

Thanks.

 

For on the course putting green practice I use this: H3 Putting Trainer from Graves Golf. (moenorman.com / click on short game trainer tab) Allows me to cover alignment and putting stroke. There are other like products/brands that have been around a long time,  I just happen to use this particular one since I use the Graves single axis/plane system. 

And obviously the rubber band and pencil drills listed previously are solid and time tested. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

For on the course putting green practice I use this: H3 Putting Trainer from Graves Golf. (moenorman.com / click on short game trainer tab) Allows me to cover alignment and putting stroke. There are other like products/brands that have been around a long time,  I just happen to use this particular one since I use the Graves single axis/plane system. 

And obviously the rubber band and pencil drills listed previously are solid and time tested. 

I used the Graves Golf program for 10 years; gave it up 3 years ago and went back to the 2-plane swing.

  • Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I used the Graves Golf program for 10 years; gave it up 3 years ago and went back to the 2-plane swing.

I have threatened to quit several times and admittedly I get frustrated often. With that stated, my all time best rounds are with this (~10 yrs w/single plane) period of my 40 years playing the game. I do follow Mike Malaska on youtube and sometimes want to go back to two plane but have not done so yet.

I don;t know if you are a long ball hitter and/or have high swing speed? -- I do not. And its the distance game part of the single plane setup and swing that I get frustrated with. I should not because even though I am lower swing speed, very short backswing I do make good contact and hit it relatively straight.

And sometimes when practicing I will go back to two plane (still kinda one plane setup but I bend my knees/get athletic posture) and absolutely crush one-- well for my standards I crush it. It goes farther than when I play normal single plane setup. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

I have threatened to quit several times and admittedly I get frustrated often. With that stated, my all time best rounds are with this (~10 yrs w/single plane) period of my 40 years playing the game. I do follow Mike Malaska on youtube and sometimes want to go back to two plane but have not done so yet.

I don;t know if you are a long ball hitter and/or have high swing speed? -- I do not. And its the distance game part of the single plane setup and swing that I get frustrated with. I should not because even though I am lower swing speed, very short backswing I do make good contact and hit it relatively straight.

And sometimes when practicing I will go back to two plane (still kinda one plane setup but I bend my knees/get athletic posture) and absolutely crush one-- well for my standards I crush it. It goes farther than when I play normal single plane setup. 

We seem to be playing the same game.  

I don't want to thread-jack this thread on putting.  Sorry to all.   I'll send you a PM.

  • Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...