Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Journey Back to Single Digit Handicap

A quick backstory:

I've played golf my entire life. While growing up my dad played golf but we never had access to a good course in our area, so golf was reserved for special occasions. Typically, I would ride along and maybe hit a few putts here or there. Going into high school I started becoming more serious about golf after a knee injury took me out of baseball. When I started, I had the typical baseball-style over swing. Around this same time, my parents purchased a townhouse in NC on a golf course. I started playing fairly regularly all summer, then practicing and playing on the schools golf team during the school year. Eventually, I had enough experience to start competing and dropped my handicap to low single digits. On a good day, I would shoot par, on a bad day I would shoot high 70’s. I even spent some time working with Jimmy Ballard (Rocco Mediates coach) during my senior year in return for some maintenance on his website. Then life got busy; I went to college and quit golf altogether. That was 10 years ago and I haven’t played more than 2 rounds a year since. 

Last week I joined a local country club for the social aspect, but I’m already getting back into golf. I carded my first round this weekend and it wasn’t half bad, shot an 89 in very wet conditions. Most of my misses were incredibly severe: skulls into the ground, shanks, etc.

My current swing is a bit unorthodox compared to modern standards (Ballard’s teachings). I have a very soft left elbow and short follow through. 

If you guys were getting back into the game after a long break, what would you do first? How can I build back my consistency? What should I be working on during range sessions? 

I appreciate any tips. Hopefully I can get back to a single digit handicap by the end of the year. 

Edited by Rookie177
  • :taylormade-small: R9 | Oban Revenge
  • :taylormade-small: '08 Burner 3-Wood
  • :mizuno-small: CLK-Fli Hi 
  • :mizuno-small: MP-60 3-PW | KBS 
  • :titelist-small: '09 Vokey 52, 56, 60
  • :scotty-cameron-1:  Studio Design 5

Good luck in reaching your goal.   Are you looking to take lessons or do you want to do it yourself?   Basically with either,  you have to get  in the reps.   Do you have the ability to get to the range to hit balls?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Rookie177 said:

If you guys were getting back into the game after a long break, what would you do first? How can I build back my consistency? What should I be working on during range sessions? 

Creating a nice swing tempo/cadence coupled with solid ball striking.  Once you have that dialed pretty well, work on shot accuracy and distance control.  Also, stay involved with the forum.  There are a good many folks here who provide solid advice. Good luck with getting to your goal!  

I'm now in my 60th year and been playing this game since about 6.  I briefly had a 9 handicap for about a year (early 20's) before military, college, marriage and a career redirected my schedule.  Now retired and playing tons more, I too am trying hard to get back to single digits... but dang is it hard for me.  The challenge just seems asymptotic when you get down to (near) single digit. 

I'm at 10.9 now but that's due to some really good rounds in the last couple of weeks.  With new irons and composite shafts heading my way, I'm hopeful I can keep it where it's at but suspect it won't until I get them "schooled". 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

57 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Good luck in reaching your goal.   Are you looking to take lessons or do you want to do it yourself?   Basically with either,  you have to get  in the reps.   Do you have the ability to get to the range to hit balls?

Thanks, probably just going to tackle it myself. Most swing instructors over the years immediately try to straighten my elbow and everything gets mixed up.

Thankfully I do have access to a nice practice facility now. Full grass range and nice short game practice area. I agree with you that the reps are necessary to get the consistency back. We’ll see where I'm at after a few weeks on the range. Fortunately I haven't lost the mental side of the game, just the physical it seems. 

I went through some of the same things.

Played a lot when I was younger hardly ever shot over 80...then life got in the way, got married had kids and didn’t play for over 10 years....when I first started playing again I hit a big slice and I said “what the hell was that!” I had never sliced the ball in my life!

I played for a number of years and got back to a 12 handicap and then life got in the way again and I didn’t play for another 5 years...in the meantime I got older, fatter, and less flexible......now I’m shooting high 80’s low 90’s and trying to get back to to at least shooting low 80’s

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Several quality suggestions in prior posts. If you understand Ballard's methods (i.e triangle-stayin connected, large muscle emphasis, etc) and those methods got you to scratch I would find time to practice, get a good routine in place and work your way back with what you know. Bottom line I am a believer in having a process in place in order to achieve a goal/end result. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Rookie177 said:

Fortunately I haven't lost the mental side of the game, just the physical it seems.

If you've been away for a while, you may not have seen some of the changes regarding optimal strategy that have resulted from statistical analyses.  There are some good references for decision-making, including Broadie's Every Shot Counts, Barzeski's Lowest Score Wins, or the Decade system.

For the physical side, I'd generally recommend instruction, very few of us know enough to make the right changes to our swings.  If you have some ingrained habits you learned previously, you may want to explore online video-based lessons, to see if you can find a teacher who uses something like the Ballard system you were taught originally.  Beyond that, basics like set-up and alignment need continual reinforcement.  Watch PGA players warm up, and see if you EVER see them on the range without alignment sticks.  

Good luck, welcome back to golf!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Welcome back to the frustration!!!   😁  From your scoring history and Ballard lessons, I would guess you have a good bit of muscle memory ingrained in your swing but maybe a less flexible slightly older body might be getting in the way.  I suggest getting your body into golf shape again with stretching so your natural swing can emerge and you'll find it easier to get to the positions it used to.

Then as mentioned hit a bunch of balls while videoing to make sure the 'feels' line up with reality.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

4 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Welcome back to the frustration!!!   😁  From your scoring history and Ballard lessons, I would guess you have a good bit of muscle memory ingrained in your swing but maybe a less flexible slightly older body might be getting in the way.  I suggest getting your body into golf shape again with stretching so your natural swing can emerge and you'll find it easier to get to the positions it used to.

Then as mentioned hit a bunch of balls while videoing to make sure the 'feels' line up with reality.

Thank you. This resonates with me, I am in the best shape of my life, but certainly not the best golf shape. I need to start incorporating flexibility workouts into my routine. 

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

If you've been away for a while, you may not have seen some of the changes regarding optimal strategy that have resulted from statistical analyses.  There are some good references for decision-making, including Broadie's Every Shot Counts, Barzeski's Lowest Score Wins, or the Decade system.

Thank you for the book recommendations. I haven't seen the work done by Broadie but it looks incredibly interesting. Ordered the book today and I'll read it this weekend. 

20 hours ago, Rookie177 said:

Then life got busy; I went to college and quit golf altogether. That was 10 years ago and I haven’t played more than 2 rounds a year since. 

I'm guessing your short game and touch around the greens could use some sharpening up playing this little. I recommend lag putting from 30-50 feet, putts down a yard stick for start line, then greenside wedge play (5-30 yard shots) with higher chips and bump and runs. After that work on wedge shots from 30-100 yards which should have some carry over to clean up contact on your full swings with irons. All of these items are mostly repetition and feel, then trend toward mechanics as you extend out to 50 yards and beyond. 

Get some side bets going on the chipping/practice green at the new club. Great way to make a name for yourself as the new guy 😀

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

For the physical side, I'd generally recommend instruction, very few of us know enough to make the right changes to our swings.  If you have some ingrained habits you learned previously, you may want to explore online video-based lessons, to see if you can find a teacher who uses something like the Ballard system you were taught originally.  Beyond that, basics like set-up and alignment need continual reinforcement.  Watch PGA players warm up, and see if you EVER see them on the range without alignment sticks.  

Good luck, welcome back to golf!

I would add for the physical side Adam Young. He help you understand some of the changes that have taken place in golf since you have been away as well as help expedite teaching yourself. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Quick update:

This past weekend I was able to fit in a practice session on Friday, then play on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday's front 9 went well, the course was wide open, and I looped the front nine in about 75 minutes. I accidentally skipped a two-some at the turn who went into the clubhouse for a few drinks. While standing in the #10 (330yd par 4) greenside bunker a ball careened past me and settled on the side of the green. I looked back at the tee box and the two-some was teeing off.  It was a great shot, but still had me rattled. At the next tee-box we exchanged apologies, them for the drive and I for skipping ahead. All was good, but I was still in my head. I made it around to the 12th hole before dunking two balls into a creek and calling it quits. I carded a 43 for the front nine. 

Sunday was a different story. Since it was Easter, the club was empty, and the course was deserted. I hit a few balls on the range, then jumped on the first tee. For some reason, I was hitting duck hooks on every single tee box. Apart from driving the green on #10, I don't think I hit a decent tee shot all day. The short game is starting to come back, and I made 4 par saves. Carded an 85 for the day with two double bogeys to finish. 

A few things I learned this weekend:

• My hands can't handle my full-cord grips like they used to. I installed these grips to handle the humidity and moisture when I played in Florida, but they are shredding my hands up here in IL. 
  • The 10-year old driver isn't "dead" like I thought. I'm just hitting everything way out on the toe.
  • My expectations need to be reset. Most of my big misses were due to trying something exotic. Whether it was attempting to pick a ball clean, hit a stinger, shape the shot, etc. They would almost always result in a bad miss that put me in a worse position than playing a normal swing. 

Also, thanks @DaveP043 for the book recommendation. I am halfway through Broadie's Every Shot Counts, and it is eye-opening. As a young golfer I always tried to bomb the ball for fun but didn't realize the impact it may have had on scoring. 

6 minutes ago, Rookie177 said:

They would almost always result in a bad miss that put me in a worse position than playing a normal swing. 

This is something its taken me a long time to learn.  When I try to hit standard shots, I have a reasonably good success rate.  When I try to go beyond standard, I make more mistakes, and bigger mistakes.  For me, boring golf is good golf.  I do the same thing with shot shapes, I try to hit my "normal" slight draw on about 99% of all shots.  If that means I don't get close to a right-side pin, so be it.  I'm a decent player, but I'm not good enough to work the ball both directions with consistent control.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 5 weeks later...

Quick Update:

So far, I've gotten in 10 rounds and a few dozen practice sessions. Scores are averaging in the low-80s, but I did complete one very consistent round for a solid 78. The handicap index is currently sitting at 11.1

After a bit of work with a local swing coach, launch monitor, and some swing recordings; I've found that my rotation is lacking. Club path and speed are good, but I'm slamming the club-face closed at impact. I'm sure it will take some time to get my rotation back, but I'm seeing decent results already. 

Another weekly update.

I had a few great golf outings this week. Thursday night was the first round of men’s league and my partner and I won our match. Unfortunately, our opponent’s teammate had a conflict and wasn’t able to attend, so the better ball game was a bit lopsided. With the exception of one hole, we used my ball for each hole, so that felt pretty good. Tee shots were horrible, but everything else was pretty solid. Even though it was casual, it was nice to get back to “competitive” golf.

On Saturday I was able to get out and card a solid score. 40 on the front and 37 on the back, a 77 and my lowest score of the season. Once the handicaps updated the next day, I met the first phase of my goal: a single digit handicap. I’m currently sitting at an index of 7.4. 

A few learnings from this week:

• Consistency off the tee really needs work. I’m only hitting 3-4 fairways per round and my shot shape can either be a mega-slice or a handsy hook. 
  • My wedge game is slowly coming back. I’ve always been a bomb and gouge player, scoring from 100 yards in, but I had lost all distance control when I came back to the game a few months ago. Thankfully I’m seeing some of that feel come back.
  • Still working on my rotation. I tend to get my weight out over my back leg. Focusing on keeping my head still and eyes aimed at the point of contact is helping me clear my back hip and shift my weight “around” instead of sliding my weight straight back. 
  • I have lost all ability to read a green except knowing the general direction a ball may move. It's pretty disheartening to hit a wedge shot close and misread the break by 50-60% This is certainly something ill be working on moving forward. 

All things considered, a pretty good week of golf. If anyone has any tips or practice drills to better read greens, please send them my way!