Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Overlap or Interlock? Different Swing Impacts/Techniques?

I've been playing with an overlap grip for seventy years. From time to time, starting when Tiger came on the scene, I've experimented with interlock. I've noticed that overlap uses more left arm while the interlock spreads the feel to equal left and right arm. I always end up sticking with overlap, why exactly, I'm not sure. Just an unconscious feel that I got the ball better. But, as I said, I'm not sure why.

So I'm wondering, are there any swing gurus here that can give me some finer points on what if any, spreading the swing feel from more left arm to equal right/left arm might be a better way to go.  

I've been as low as a 3 in my younger days and now have a 9.6 index. However, I've never got the ball very long but probably need to in order to keep my index for the next few years. I'm hoping there are some ideas here that might theorize some changes using the interlock that might help.

If there is a better forum more dedicated to swing analysis could you point me to one.

Jack

Watching GG’s course numerous videos from Monte Scheinblum and Athletic Motion Golf none of them have talked about swing/technique for the two grips. 

Small hands or fingers or those who may be weak in the wrists/forearms usually benefit from interlock. 

They all say find what works for you.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There is no right, wrong, better, best in the type of grip you should use. But there is a best way to apply the grip you choose to the club. I have played with the 3 main types of grips ( overlap, interlock, 10 finger) over the years. I can play any type and shoot the same score. It is all about what is comfortable for you and what works best with your hand and finger size. 

First make sure you are using the correct size grip for your hand. Then just do what feels best. You can read all sorts of articles about if you have short fingers you should interlock, long should overlap.

I have long fingers. I use an interlocking on my irons and a 10 finger on my woods. All clubs have a mid-size grip on them. Its what works and feels best for me.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Thanks for the report guys. I use a medium grip as I found I got the ball straighter with it. Takes the hands out of the shot a little more I've found. I think that is good. 

My main question is about swinging with more left arm versus equal arms, and what that should do to the swing, if anything.

1 minute ago, jborchel said:

Thanks for the report guys. I use a medium grip as I found I got the ball straighter with it. Takes the hands out of the shot a little more I've found. I think that is good. 

My main question is about swinging with more left arm versus equal arms, and what that should do to the swing, if anything.

Each person feels different things. Some may need to feel more left arm rotation and some may need to feel more wrists. Some feel both. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I started with an overlap grip in the 1950’s then one summer in the mid 1980’s I decided to switch to the interlock grip, which I still use today.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder