Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Overhanging ball- Solheim cup match

LICC

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

This feels like a lot of complaining just for the sake of complaining. 

Thanks for your contribution.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

7 hours ago, Alf. S said:

That ball would have never fallen into the hole, Nelly Korda knew this, Ally Ewing knew this, Pat Hurst knew this

... They did not have anything to do with the ruling nor did they ask for an official to make a ruling. It was done solely by the official. If your opinion is the rules official got it wrong or stepped in when she didn't need to or should have used common sense and determined it would have never fallen (ignoring the rule) or even it was not actually over the hole, you certainly have a valid argument. But including Nelly, Ally and Pat in this decision is simply inaccurate as they had nothing to do with the ruling. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... They did not have anything to do with the ruling nor did they ask for an official to make a ruling. It was done solely by the official. If your opinion is the rules official got it wrong or stepped in when she didn't need to or should have used common sense and determined it would have never fallen (ignoring the rule) or even it was not actually over the hole, you certainly have a valid argument. But including Nelly, Ally and Pat in this decision is simply inaccurate as they had nothing to do with the ruling. 

I never said they did have any part of the ruling just in accepting it. They were conspicuous in there absence when it was being discussed. If US team did not try to claim the hole ask your self why not? I know if I was playing in match play and my ball had a chance of dropping and my opponent picked it up I would be all over them. 

As a golfer you know if the ball has any chance of falling. It is my opinion, from the pictures that I saw the ball would never have dropped, it had stopped and not oscillating, a fraction of the ball may of over hung the hole.

image.png.0d924d1e9da432adf9f4af27b8b7be87.png

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

18 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

I never said they did have any part of the ruling just in accepting it.

They didn’t have the ability to accept or deny it. That’s part of the rule. Once Sagstrom picked up the ball that was deemed to be overhanging korda was awarded it as a holed putt. The official called it in to get confirmation of what she saw and happened. Once they confirmed with photo evidence the ball was overhanging the rule get applied that it’s a hiked putt and Korda score reflects that. No accepting or declining the ruling. The players knew this before the matches started 

Also whether it would have gone in or not doesn’t matter. The rule is an overhanging ball not about if it has a chance to go in.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The actual rule used 

Rule 13.3b which states that “if the opponent in match play deliberately lifts or moves the player’s ball overhanging the hole before the waiting time has ended, the player’s ball is treated as holed with the previous stroke, and there is no penalty to the opponent under Rule 11.2b.”

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The Rules Official and the rest of the Committee made a decision to follow the Rules, I don't know what other decision would have been appropriate.  Its definitely NOT appropriate to choose to allow a violation to slide past in one instance, and then enforce the same rule later, when it matters more.  

As for sportsmanship, and artificially conceding a hole to "right a wrong", I don't see that as being appropriate in this case.  Sagstrom DID violate the rule, a rule they were specifically cautioned about before play.  This isn't like a bad line call in tennis, where a linesman just gets it wrong, this WAS a violation.

11 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Rules is rules but in this case IMO the wrong decision was made.

Exactly as Dave said. The ball met the definition of overhanging. They either play by and apply the rules, or go by some rules sometimes and make up rules other times based on however you feel is fair at the moment. The latter way would never work.

• 4 weeks later...