Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New Soft ($$$) Travel Bag or cheap old hard bag?

toehold57

I will have the opportunity to hit Phoenix a few times over the winter, which will involve flights, and so I’m looking at travel bags.  Yes I know there was a thread just last month but I have a twist.

I’ve come across an older hard shell bag for cheap, $20.  It’s smaller, don’t think my cart bag will fit but my carry bag should.  Decent shape, a few scratches and such.  No keys.  Certainly older than any TSA approved keys have been around so I’m not sure how big a deal that is.

If I were to buy new I’d get a Club Glove and call it good but the price difference between a Club Glove and the old hard bag will easily pay for a round trip!  Hard to ignore that!

Thoughts?  Am I too cheap for my own good?

Edited by toehold57

I travel with clubs several times a year. I used a hard shell untill 2 years ago. The airlines broke my hardshell twice in the same year. Since it was a hard shell they had to replace it or should i say they gave me a check to replace it. But it was very difficult to travel with. I am very handy and repaired it both times. I used the money to purchase a Club Glove and even though I have to sign a waiver at check in this has worked out much better to travel with and no damage in two years. 

I was able to get a Club Glove from a golf warehouse clearance center for 1/2 price because it said TaylorMade on it. So depending on how much time you have you can shop around.

If you plan on traveling to play more than a few times I would go with the CG. It will be money well spent and fits in a lot more cars than a hard shell. Just make sure to get or make a stiff arm. If you have a removable driver head I would take it off and put it in a pocket in your golf bag.

I did speak to an airport luggage person and they said hard cases sometimes can't make the turns on the conveyor systems and get hung up. Then they get rammed by the next few items until something gives way. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag