Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Snap Hooking my woods

Over my last couple of outings, I have been snap hooking my 3 wood on almost every shot and also hooking my driver (not as often or severe as my 3 wood). My typical shot shape is a fade, so this is new to me. It really hasn't been an issue with my irons. I am sure it all comes down to my swing and my hands, but I am wondering if anyone can provide some insight to set up that could be affecting it also? When I use my 3 wood from the tee, I set up to it like how I would set up to my driver. Should I not have the ball so far forward in my stance? I am playing again today, so we will see if it continues. I just recently got a new 3 wood with a different shaft profile, so maybe some of it is getting used to the feel of that, but I'm not one to blame my equipment. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

15 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Over my last couple of outings, I have been snap hooking my 3 wood on almost every shot and also hooking my driver (not as often or severe as my 3 wood). My typical shot shape is a fade, so this is new to me. It really hasn't been an issue with my irons. I am sure it all comes down to my swing and my hands, but I am wondering if anyone can provide some insight to set up that could be affecting it also? When I use my 3 wood from the tee, I set up to it like how I would set up to my driver. Should I not have the ball so far forward in my stance? I am playing again today, so we will see if it continues. I just recently got a new 3 wood with a different shaft profile, so maybe some of it is getting used to the feel of that, but I'm not one to blame my equipment. 

For me this happens when I just get too quick with my swing. Or at least that is the feeling I associate with it. I try to slow things down a bit and it seems to return to normal however this is something that often plagues my game and both my driver and woods/hyrbids.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

55 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I would experiment with moving it back in your stance just a little bit on the range. I've had issues with the snap hook while swinging driver and under the advice of @Tom the Golf Nut, moved it back and saw good results.

I'm not a swing expert, so take that with a grain of salt, but since your swing path goes in an arc that means with the ball more forward it gets a bit out to in. Combine that with a closed face...snap hook.

I'm sure there's better people to comment on this, just wanted to give my two cents. 

1 hour ago, Jnoble89 said:

Had this happen to me two weeks ago. As a fellow lefty I felt your pain! Part of the issue for what was causing snap hooks for me was that my arms and hands started the swing instead of rotating my body around my spine.  This caused the club to become stuck behind me.  On the downswing, my hand were forced to compensate causing some major duckhooks off the tee.  I also had the ball a bit further up in my stance but moving it back only helped a little.  Another thing to watch out for is if you sway off the ball. Check your grip too - too strong a grip can shut the driver face down.

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I use my 3w same spot as my driver forward in my stance I only snap hook it when I turn my wrists over. If you close the face down too much that will cause the snap hook. Are you feeling anything off? Hands feel like they are slipping? Are you standing further away from the ball with these clubs than your irons?

I as well am no swing coach or even close I’m asking things that I do differently that cause my issues which may help explain something for you!

Post a picture of your swing. Can’t recommend anything without seeing exactly what’s going on.

Ball should be slightly back with 3w compared to driver, should be teed lower than driver. 

snap hook could be caused by too far in to out swing and rolling the hands/arms to square the face. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Post a picture of your swing. Can’t recommend anything without seeing exactly what’s going on.

Ball should be slightly back with 3w compared to driver, should be teed lower than driver. 

snap hook could be caused by too far in to out swing and rolling the hands/arms to square the face. 

I am playing a round this evening so if my playing partner arrives on time to the driving range (50/50 chance 😂) I will have him record it and post it. Head on and down range view? I used to fade/slice woods almost all the time, so I could very well be rolling my hands trying to get square and am maybe just completely shutting the face down. I also tend to miss to the right (as a lefty) when I overswing, so maybe I was doing that and not realizing it. 

#LeftyGang

I am playing a round this evening so if my playing partner arrives on time to the driving range (50/50 chance 😂) I will have him record it and post it. Head on and down range view? I used to fade/slice woods almost all the time, so I could very well be rolling my hands trying to get square and am maybe just completely shutting the face down. I also tend to miss to the right (as a lefty) when I overswing, so maybe I was doing that and not realizing it. 

It could be the compensation for the fade/slice. I have a tendency to hook so my swing compensations are to not roll the face.

Those who are too far in to out have a tendency to suffer more from a two way miss which could be what’s you are doing. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It could be the compensation for the fade/slice. I have a tendency to hook so my swing compensations are to not roll the face.

Those who are too far in to out have a tendency to suffer more from a two way miss which could be what’s you are doing. 

Very possible. I try to remind myself to stay wide in the takeaway, but when I started golfing I REALLY came over the top and would hit some mega slices. I have a hard time feeling my swing path, so that could definitely be that I was just getting way too over the top. If only it was easy to feel the "out to in" path! haha

#LeftyGang

An odd cause of the snap hook can be trying to swing too easy. In that case, your lower body can slow down too much in relation to your arms. Same thing can happen when you’re tired. The swing becomes all arms. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Aside from what's already been offered, check the position of your right elbow (if right handed and visa versa if left handed). When it's not in the proper position on the down swing, the tendency to roll the shoulders, which causes the over the top swing plain and if the hands are quick the face closes and it's hook city. 

Total Callaway bag - except putter

The snap hook is a product of an overly strong right hand(for right handed players). Try relaxing the right hand on your grip and place it more on top of the club. This will keep you from rolling the right hand when you downswing.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, ballhawk said:

Aside from what's already been offered, check the position of your right elbow (if right handed and visa versa if left handed). When it's not in the proper position on the down swing, the tendency to roll the shoulders, which causes the over the top swing plain and if the hands are quick the face closes and it's hook city. 

This is a symptom and not a cause. One needs to look at why/how the elbow got into the wrong position.

Common causes are improper wrist movements, improper sequencing of the takeaway/backswing.

Those things lead to improper transition/downswing which will usually lead to steep shaft, hips staling and cause early extension, shallowing theu dipping the trail shoulder. Causing the elbow/arms to be trapped/stuck behind the body and having also leads to early extension, throwing the hands at the ball. This could case fade/slice of face isn’t closed or hooks and snap hooks if the hands roll over and quickly shut the face

41 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

The snap hook is a product of an overly strong right hand(for right handed players). Try relaxing the right hand on your grip and place it more on top of the club. This will keep you from rolling the right hand when you downswing.

Yes and no. It’s really about matchups and depending on how the hands are placed along with how the arms and body move there would be no issue.

Some instructors have tried to get people away from using the words strong, weak, neutral when referring to the grip. The way one’s arms hang especially the lead arm will determine how one places the lead hand on the club. This could look like a strong grip or weak grip depending on how someone perceives the grip. If you look at trail hand a person could be side on (what many consider nuetral) over (what many consider weak) or under (what many consider strong). Mike adams gets into this a lot in his teachings.

Everything needs to be taking into account to see what’s happening. There’s wiggle room in everything with the swing then find the matchup for what works