Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Taylormade Penta TP3

Nick K

Apologies as this is my first specific forum review, but after today i felt obliged to let you all know my findings. Firstly let me introduce myself, I'm Nick a 25 year with old with only 18 months golfing experience. I currently have a set of Callaway Big Bertha irons, Titlest 910 d2 driver, Taylormade Ghost Mallet putter, and vokey wedges (52 and 60). For the past 6 months i have been taking lessons and play off 19.

I have been using the original Penta for about 3 months ago a from a free dozen supplied from my local retailer. Having given 2 out of my remaining 4 Penta balls an early watery ending during my last round I purchased a box of Taylormade Penta TP3 balls from my local outlet.

My first reaction to these is wow, now I am not a Taylormade fan, I don't start to salivate at every "new" marketing idea or development, however i do appreciate a good golf ball.

I specifically picked the TP3 because of the increased spin available from the irons. I have never been able to see the ball land and then check backwards and I would be misleading you if I said the TP3 suddenly did that. However for me the ball checked alot more than previously.

With my driver it was as long as anything I have used previous, and with my mid to long irons it felt soft and under control, however for me the the short irons, wedges and putting feel was the best I have felt. The durability of the ball is good, as I used the same ball for the full round, and it easily appears to easily have another 2 / 3 rounds for my game.

As i type I want to emulate the other more experienced, lower handicapped forum members review with stats and yardage improvements, but I apologies as I am unable to do so. All I can comment is that this is my new ball of choice. Its offered me great feeling with the putter and the short irons (which to me is the most important. My golf coach says that you Drive for Show and Putt for Dough(Uk slang for money)), and didn't cost me any yardage with the other clubs in my bag. I implore you to try a sleeve.

If this short review does nothing but gets one reader who is looking for a soft feeling great short iron ball (in my opinion) consideration to try the new ball then my 10 mins of keyboard bashing will be worth something.

My golfing experience is short and but my knowledge is ever expanding. All I would ask is that if you do try the ball and enjoy it then after hitting that great shot say thank you "My golf Spy". Or if you try it and find a better ball then please follow my lead and let everyone know, because If there is a better ball we would all appreciate that insider knowledge. Please let me know what you think, not only to improve my future posts, but how my opinions compare to yours.

Regards,

Nick

Why is it that fools and fanatics are always so certain, but wise men are never so sure.

Shipley Golf Club - West Yorkshire- UK

A hidden gem designed by Dr Alister MacKenzie, opened in 1921, a beautiful, mature wooded valley course

:taylormade-small: R5

:taylormade-small: RBZ 3 wood

:mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX 825 5 Wood

:callaway-small: Diablo 3 Hybrid 21 degree

:mizuno-small:  JPX 825 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Big Bertha 2008 6 to PW

:mizuno-small: MP T11 52 degree, 56 degree

:nike-small: Tiger Woods forged wedge 60 degree

:taylormade-small: Corsa Ghost Putter + Superstroke Slim

:callaway-small: Supersoft or :wilson_staff_small: D2

:wilson_staff_small: Nexus 2014 Stand Bag

Thanks for the review NAK.

So you are saying the TP3 has about the same distance as the original Penta, but more spin?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Thank you for summarising my 500 words in one line :) , yes you're right, in my opinion the TP3 has same distance as the original penta with better feel, and better short iron spin.

Why is it that fools and fanatics are always so certain, but wise men are never so sure.

A hidden gem designed by Dr Alister MacKenzie, opened in 1921, a beautiful, mature wooded valley course

NAK,

Thank you for the review. And don't worry about the numbers or stats, this was a very helpful post!

I'm in the middle of testing the entire 2012 TMAG ball line up, and I can say with some confidence that the TP3 is a really really good ball. I haven't gotten to the driver yet, but through the short clubs it is nearly identical to the new TP5.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Well, I bought 2 dozen Penta TP5's last night for the price of TP3's so I'll be sharing my thoughts on those soon. $67 shipped was too good of a deal to pass up for 2 dozen.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Great overview of the Penta Golf balls. The reason for the design and the differences.

http://www.thehacker...se.com/?p=15739

:blink: Really?

I guess if you like regurgitated press releases, that's a good place to go. Or you could wait for the MGS review. B)

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Please tell me you are joking when you include a Hacker's Paradise webpage...

LOL :lol:

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I listened to the interview yesterday. Omitting the marketing crap, one thing I got out of it was how pros were fit to a ball, by eliminating any balls that gave them too much or too little greenside spin first, then moving back to the

Also, if the claim that the TP3 can replace a ProV1, I'm all for it. Cheaper and just as good is my kind of marketing angle :D. Of course, if the Maxfli U3 performs just as well for $25, even better. I'm hoping to compare the MG Golf C4, U3, and TP3 during my fitting later this month.

• SPY VIP

:blink: Really?

I guess if you like regurgitated press releases, that's a good place to go. Or you could wait for the MGS review. B)

Please tell me you are joking when you include a Hacker's Paradise webpage...

We want this to always be a place where everyone is free to speak his mind, but lets not pile it on too heavy here.

I'm fairly certain that just about anywhere else a similar link to a competing site would have been pulled down (apparently site owners prefer to pretend none of the others exist). We certainly don't want to make a habit of doing the same. My thought on links to other golf sites has always been this; if our readers might find the content informative or useful, than I'm 100% for sharing. I think wdgolf's response suggests that the link passes the test.

As far as The Hacker's Paradise in general is concerned. I think it's fair to say their approach is much different than ours, and certainly they're more OEM-friendly (I think everyone is more OEM friendly than MGS), but I would also add that differences in our approaches to the industry are what allow all of us to succeed. I have tremendous respect for the community they've built over there, but at times it does appear overly insular to the point where dissent from the majority (and often staff) opinion, is sometimes met with aggressive denouncement and accusations of being of being fans/readers of another golf site.

So while I would like to see our forum continue to grow, both in numbers and participation, I never want it to be a place where someone feels like they can't share information, or a simple opinion without motives, judgement, or even intelligence being called into question.

Speaking only for myself, I will tell you that between the biggest golf sites, there is far too much animosity and bad blood. Some of it dates back years, and while I wasn't directly involved in it, it is, in part, the consequence of aggressively forging a unique path through the industry. Quite frankly the animosity (and even hostility) has reached the point of absurdity, and I'll have no more to do with it. I've met a couple of the guys from WRX, and my impression is that they're good guys who do good work. They just do it differently than we do...and that's cool.

After a post of mine was pulled down from THP, Josh and I had a brief exchange as well. While I can't say I agree with his decision to yank my post, it is his forum, and he absolutely should run it in whatever way he sees fit. Our exchange was brief and cordial, and I let him know I respected his decision to pull the post. I did save it, and maybe one day I'll post it here in the proper context.

The point is, having been on the other end of this type of thread, and having been called a hack, and having had the integrity of the MGS testing process called into question by people who don't know me, or the first thing about how we actually test (and who probably haven't been to our site in 2+ years), well...my inclination it to try and respect the work that those in our industry do, even if the final product and perspective differs from my own.

End Rant.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Back on topic:

The guy at Titleist ball fitting also told me to choose a ball from green to tee.

They recommend the ProV1/x to ALL kinds of players... kids, ladies, seniors, pros.

You might lose a few yards off the tee compared to a low compression or 2p distance ball, but the control and spin you gain around the green is much much greater.

Then he compared the amount of drives per round vs amount of approach shots and putts per round and makes you realize that distance off the tee with a ProV1/x is not a priority.

Of course, it could all be marketing talk, but he gave me a sleeve of ProV1 and a sleeve of ProV1x with a chart and told me to try them both putting, chipping, pitching, driving, etc. and key in all the results and that would help me choose the best ball.

• SPY VIP

Back on topic:

The guy at Titleist ball fitting also told me to choose a ball from green to tee.

They recommend the ProV1/x to ALL kinds of players... kids, ladies, seniors, pros.

You might lose a few yards off the tee compared to a low compression or 2p distance ball, but the control and spin you gain around the green is much much greater.

Then he compared the amount of drives per round vs amount of approach shots and putts per round and makes you realize that distance off the tee with a ProV1/x is not a priority.

Of course, it could all be marketing talk, but he gave me a sleeve of ProV1 and a sleeve of ProV1x with a chart and told me to try them both putting, chipping, pitching, driving, etc. and key in all the results and that would help me choose the best ball.

If my only true premium ball offering was one that the vast majority of golfers probably can't compress off the tee...yeah...I'd be talking about greenside performance as well.

IMO, the idea of a premium ball for targeted at slower swing speed players (Callaway HEX Chrome, Brigestone B330-RX(S)) is an idea that has thus far been lost on Titleist. The landscape on the ball market is changing rapidly, and I think Titleist will need to adapt if they hope to continue to be the #1 ball in golf.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

If my only true premium ball offering was one that the vast majority of golfers probably can't compress off the tee...yeah...I'd be talking about greenside performance as well.

IMO, the idea of a premium ball for targeted at slower swing speed players (Callaway HEX Chrome, Brigestone B330-RX(S)) is an idea that has thus far been lost on Titleist. The landscape on the ball market is changing rapidly, and I think Titleist will need to adapt if they hope to continue to be the #1 ball in golf.

From what I've read, a ball with a urethane cover is going to have the best spin on less than full shots. There are plenty of options out there with urethane covers for lower swing speeds. The e5 comes to mind along with the Maxfli U2 or U3.

• SPY VIP

From what I've read, a ball with a urethane cover is going to have the best spin on less than full shots. There are plenty of options out there with urethane covers for lower swing speeds. The e5 comes to mind along with the Maxfli U2 or U3.

When it comes to maximizing driver distance it's all about compression, and that's where the core of the ball comes in. Around the greens, you're correct, there are plenty of options for slower swing speed players, but if you're a slower swing speed player looking for a premium ball that offers maximum distance off the tee, and excellent feel/control/spin around the greens, you have fewer options, and realistically, Titliest probably isn't one of them.

My first reaction to these is wow, now I am not a Taylormade fan, I don't start to salivate at every "new" marketing idea or development, however i do appreciate a good golf ball.

+10000 that is great! I hate TM I'm not gonna lie way to much marketing bull s*** if you ask me for the performance, it doesn't help that I hate white club heads. I better watch what I say as there is no way in heck i would get a haircut with there logo :lol: . Anyways just because I don't like their equipment doesn't mean I don't like their golf ball.

When the old model was on sale I bought a lot of them for like $25 a dozen couldn't pass them up at $25 to $35 a dozen when normally premium balls run $50-$60. I give 1/2 dozen to someone awhile back and they repaid me with the new TM Penta TP5 instead of the old model Penta. I haven't hit them yet but I can imagine that they made a change for a reason not sure if it is good or bad obviously Gonna play the old ones out until they are gone.

I used to like the 2010 Bridgestone B330s but in 2011 the ball just seemed to have changed for the worst, not sure what they changed but it seemed to not spin as much as the old one so maybe it wasn't as soft of a cover or something.

I was able to demo the Titleist Pro v1 before they released it presumably in the 2011 model the prototype was in 2010. It felt really soft and spun like a top, loved it. But at the time I was non-confirming and turn them up really fast with the old grooves. It was a good ball but you had to get them at a good price to make it worth it, I'm not loyal to one company when it comes to a golf ball, If it is a premium ball I will give it a shot if the price is good on the ball.

It is smart to think about the golf ball you use from green to tee, what does it feel like on the putter, wedges, short irons, long irons, hybrid, fairway woods, driver. Whatever ball preforms the best for you and feels that best is what you should play.

You can't expect a lot of spin out of a 2-piece ball, the 3 piece Top Flight Gamer is junk it plays like a two piece on wedges. I think that a lot of golfers have a hard time buying a dozen for $50+ and good performance if they think they will lose them a lot.

I haven't tried the Nike 20XI, Penta TP5, New Pro V1/x, Srixon Z-Star Tour, New Callaway Hex Black Tour, Bridgestone B330-S 2012 model. Still hitting my original Penta TP balls, that has to say something for the line that it doesn't suck it's right up their with the big boys.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

When it comes to maximizing driver distance it's all about compression, and that's where the core of the ball comes in. Around the greens, you're correct, there are plenty of options for slower swing speed players, but if you're a slower swing speed player looking for a premium ball that offers maximum distance off the tee, and excellent feel/control/spin around the greens, you have fewer options, and realistically, Titliest probably isn't one of them.

I agree with you. Realistically, they use all the green side/spin marketing to cover for the "lack of distance" (which is obviously not their fault) but you won't hear it from them. In the end, the only way to increase sales is convincing the bigger golf population that they too can play premium balls.

At my current SS of 95~100mph, I feel the Srixon Z-Star is a very good choice. For some reason here it's much cheaper than the ProV1 and B330.

Maxfli are hard to find in Germany, but I'll take a look at the e5.

Any other urethane cover, low compression balls out there?

Great to hear your review NAK, just to reiterate what other guys have said the numbers are not as important as your opinion. Most guys don't have fittings for their golf ball and just go on feel and spin around the greens.

Also good to see a positive review about the new ball from TM, we will be stocking it alongside the Titleist's

Let the battle commence..

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Thank you all for your generous comments, Just to update you I played another round today with the TP3 and my previous comments still stand. For three holes on my round I played both a Penta TP3 and a NXT Tour. I played the TP3 as my scoring ball and dropped the NXT Tour at the side for each shot. I found that the TP3 had a higher flight, and stopped in a shorter distance on impact (averaged about 14 inches). For me this is an advantage as the weather in the UK becomes warmer and the greens dry and harden.

For durability It has survived 2 full rounds, and it is starting to show, but for my game it has another round it in, but after that its in the practice bag.

I am impressed with this ball alot, has anybody else managed to hit the TP3 yet?

Nak

if you are ever down south let me know we can try to organise a game

Stuart

Currently in my bag;

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Good review. I've been snatching up all the Penta TP's now while they're discounted and before they're gone. Eventually will need a different ball and it's good to hear the TP3 performs similarly.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Good review. I've been snatching up all the Penta TP's now while they're discounted and before they're gone. Eventually will need a different ball and it's good to hear the TP3 performs similarly.

Was at GG last night - found last year's Penta's on sale for $29.95/doz, and Penta's labelled "practice" for $19.95/doz. Snapped up a couple!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 3 weeks later...

Was at GG last night - found last year's Penta's on sale for $29.95/doz, and Penta's labelled "practice" for $19.95/doz. Snapped up a couple!

Yeah, a local store had last year's Penta for that price as well. I bought the 6 dozen they had. Love that ball.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Got a game booked in for Saturday morning will use the Penta TP5 ball so will add my thoughts on it

Stuart

Currently in my bag;

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Archived