Finch and Shiels: Why don't they film together anymore?

GolfSpy_APH

I am a big Finch fan. Haven't watched anything from Rick in well a long time. Pete gives a great detail on why they haven't been filming recently, a bit of history between the two as well as the return of the Golfbidder challenge and a whole lot more!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I agree, I definitely prefer Finch's video's to Shiels.

Shield was actually the first golf Tuber I got into as you search for anything golf related on YouTube and Rick is gunna have something pop up, but I've found the more people I discover the less I watch Rick.

Also, his clickbait titles and thumbnails get a bit much for me sometimes.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

1 hour ago, Splatt said:

I agree, I definitely prefer Finch's video's to Shiels.

Shield was actually the first golf Tuber I got into as you search for anything golf related on YouTube and Rick is gunna have something pop up, but I've found the more people I discover the less I watch Rick.

Also, his clickbait titles and thumbnails get a bit much for me sometimes.

This was exactly like me. I would wait and be so excited for all the new videos he produced and relied heavily on his opinion. As my knowledge grew about the game of golf I slowly started ignoring more of his content and eventually unsubbed and actually got the point of asking youtube to ignore and not recommend his videos. 

I am sure he is great for many, but at least for me I outgrew his content and as far as I know he has changed, but not to the attune that I would rejoin or entice me to watch again. Then add in the bit of "I'm too big for Pete" which may be harshly summarising, but was what was eluded to it is an even bigger turn off. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

This was exactly like me. I would wait and be so excited for all the new videos he produced and relied heavily on his opinion. As my knowledge grew about the game of golf I slowly started ignoring more of his content and eventually unsubbed and actually got the point of asking youtube to ignore and not recommend his videos. 

I am sure he is great for many, but at least for me I outgrew his content and as far as I know he has changed, but not to the attune that I would rejoin or entice me to watch again. Then add in the bit of "I'm too big for Pete" which may be harshly summarising, but was what was eluded to it is an even bigger turn off. 

I stopped watching Rick about 2 or 3 years ago when he go into the clickbait game.  Finch does it too (not as much), so I have since unsubscribed to them both.  Nothing against them as people, but they wanted to take their content in a different direction, so took my viewership elsewhere.

I've gravitated more and more to Finchy, as his journey as a player is far more interesting to me than that of Rick's journey as an influencer.  I still watch both, but Rick's stuff I tend to "get around to", whereas I'm actually excited to see what Pete has to say about new clubs/swing thoughts/etc.  

As for "Rick being too big for Pete" - I think that's just the reality of having 2 million subs - he's getting access to more and more people, and honestly, if he doesn't take advantage of filming with them, someone else will.  It seemed to me that Pete very much understands where Rick's at - it very well could be hurtful, but it doesn't sound like it's intentionally hurtful.  It's like when your best mate (to use phrasing they might understand) meets his wife-to-be - he's suddenly infatuated and wants to spend all his free time with her.  You're happy for him, but it can still sting.  The best you can do is keep doing your own thing, and hope that once the honeymoon period is over, he's in a place where he can incorporate both friends and wife and make it both work.  I've had several friends go down this road, and I myself did a similar thing (though I tried my best to include my buddies wherever possible), but it's part of human nature (I think, anyway - maybe I'm just an a-hole with a-hole friends 😉 ).

Lucky for us, there's always a Bob Does Sports or Foreplay episode to watch 😉

Edited by Samsonite
removed naughty bits

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

12 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I stopped watching Rick about 2 or 3 years ago when he go into the clickbait game.  Finch does it too (not as much), so I have since unsubscribed to them both.  Nothing against them as people, but they wanted to take their content in a different direction, so took my viewership elsewhere.

Clickbait titles drive me insane. Let the content speak for itself.

Finchy definitely does it, but it seems a bit more tongue-in-cheek to me than a blatant misleading.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

47 minutes ago, Splatt said:

Finchy definitely does it, but it seems a bit more tongue-in-cheek to me than a blatant misleading.

James Robinson is the biggest offender of this. Drives me insane. 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 hour ago, Splatt said:

Yeah Crossfield uses sarcastic click bait titles a lot and openly talks about how much he hates how predatory most golf instruction on YouTube is

I think the main thing to remember is that YouTube is an entertainment platform that has a lot instructional content but, the big money is on engagement and views.  When you watch Rick's old baby face videos before he had the beard, he was pretty dull but informative, that'll only get you so far.  Finch was the same. They have both expanded into the more entertaining content because basically it's worth more. 

Look at Danny Maude or Paul Wilson those guys give amazing technique videos but, past a certain point it's boring as hell.  The Good Good boys, they were straight up entertainment and then tried to move into tips and tricks content and it flopped.  Click bait is the name of the game, it's a business and Rick and Finch have both done phenomenal jobs at expanding their respective brands; even if it seems a little less authentic.  I mean Paige Spiranac has great instructional stuff to but, that's not why any of us clicked the thumbnail. 

Driver -Adams.png.4a55c5de7324627f67192af663035123.png Speedline F11 8.5°

WoodTaylorMade.png.45cd3b99702fd97787bf7959e5a23980.png SLDR 16.5°

Hybrid - Callaway.png.a491223c3e2866e981c547eee04defb8.png  Apex 23°

Irons -Titleist.png.24064e9d1a4c68621e6906d0130398cb.png 762 DCI  5 -PW

Wedges -Adams.png.4a55c5de7324627f67192af663035123.png Tom Watson RC14 52°, 56°, 60°

Putter Yes!.png.451dba2a835bb9fbe7b3bbb57abf633c.png Valerie

BallsNoodz.png.f11f61e8cb08b785062fdfac6827e9d0.png The Noodz!

As long as monetary gains are obtained by the number of interactions someone gets, you will have clickbait titles and controversial topics.   You can watch part of, like or dislike, or post a positive or negative comment which is all that is needed to generate revenue.  This is why social media platforms also have analytics to show people where they are getting engagement.  

I think this sums it up:

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't bother watching either of them anymore, to be honest. The whole "product reviews from a single digit cap" golfer thing has gotten old with me. I'd rather watch channels like Not A Perfect Golfer or Not A Scratch Golfer, which I personally find far more entertaining. Good for them for being able to monetize their channels and make a living goofing off and making videos, but after a while you get stale no matter who you are or what you do - and both of those channels crossed that territory for me a while ago. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 2:51 AM, FreddyTheBearCat said:

I think the main thing to remember is that YouTube is an entertainment platform that has a lot instructional content but, the big money is on engagement and views.  When you watch Rick's old baby face videos before he had the beard, he was pretty dull but informative, that'll only get you so far.  Finch was the same. They have both expanded into the more entertaining content because basically it's worth more. 

Look at Danny Maude or Paul Wilson those guys give amazing technique videos but, past a certain point it's boring as hell.  The Good Good boys, they were straight up entertainment and then tried to move into tips and tricks content and it flopped.  Click bait is the name of the game, it's a business and Rick and Finch have both done phenomenal jobs at expanding their respective brands; even if it seems a little less authentic.  I mean Paige Spiranac has great instructional stuff to but, that's not why any of us clicked the thumbnail. 

Couldn't agree more. I watch technical videos very closely. Good Good/ Rick Sheils is on while hit on my sim or want some background entertainment. I do like watching club reviews, but will never buy a driver because X youtuber promotes or hates it. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

20 minutes ago, pozzit said:

Couldn't agree more. I watch technical videos very closely. Good Good/ Rick Sheils is on while hit on my sim or want some background entertainment. I do like watching club reviews, but will never buy a driver because X youtuber promotes or hates it. 

100%.  After the fitting I just had, I was pretty shocked at how clear-cut a winner the TSR2 was, and I've GENUINELY been disinterested in that line since launch - yawn.  But good lord the thing just worked for me, where the things I thought were *sure things* were just 'meh' after hitting them.  

But I still do love Finchy's "Build My Bag" series, as I really love how in depth he gets with the contenders.  

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T