Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

PXG Ball Review

550025KV

Had a chance to play 9 holes with the new PXG Ball. This was not a promotional review and I wasn't gifted a ball to try. I have great respect for what Bob Parsons has built and what he stands for with our Vets, but the ball was a total bust for me.  For the record my regular gamer is a TM TP5x.

• Appearance. Bright white, looks good and held its color. I didn't see any distinct dimple pattern. I'd give it an A-  
  • Distance. Maybe the best performance.  It was plenty long and possibly a few yds further than my current ball with the driver. I found it to have very a low ball flight.  Off the irons it also had a very low ball flight. No appreciable distance gain in the air but because of the ball flight it ran through every green. I'd have to guess the driver distance is attributed to the ball flight.  I'd give it a  C+
  • Feel. This is where I had a big problem. It felt like a rock off every club in the bag. Driver, irons, wedge approach and the putter.  Short game chipping and pitching felt terrible. Gave me zero confidence that I could get it close without a 6-8' runout.  I'd give it a D. 
  • Durability. I had one errant shot that caught a cart path and it visibly scarred. Another bunker shot left a pretty good bruise.  I'd give it a C-
  • Overall:  it's a C-  
  • Summary. I gave it 9 holes. We play a competitive game on the weekends and this ball was costing me shots. Rock hard feel, no appreciable spin off the irons or chips and pitches and it felt too hard for me off the putter.  I think the price point is that of a Tier 1 ball, so I'd say I'm a hard pass.  
  • Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x

17 hours ago, 550025KV said:

Had a chance to play 9 holes with the new PXG Ball. This was not a promotional review and I wasn't gifted a ball to try. I have great respect for what Bob Parsons has built and what he stands for with our Vets, but the ball was a total bust for me.  For the record my regular gamer is a TM TP5x.

• Appearance. Bright white, looks good and held its color. I didn't see any distinct dimple pattern. I'd give it an A-  
  • Distance. Maybe the best performance.  It was plenty long and possibly a few yds further than my current ball with the driver. I found it to have very a low ball flight.  Off the irons it also had a very low ball flight. No appreciable distance gain in the air but because of the ball flight it ran through every green. I'd have to guess the driver distance is attributed to the ball flight.  I'd give it a  C+
  • Feel. This is where I had a big problem. It felt like a rock off every club in the bag. Driver, irons, wedge approach and the putter.  Short game chipping and pitching felt terrible. Gave me zero confidence that I could get it close without a 6-8' runout.  I'd give it a D. 
  • Durability. I had one errant shot that caught a cart path and it visibly scarred. Another bunker shot left a pretty good bruise.  I'd give it a C-
  • Summary. I gave it 9 holes. We play a competitive game on the weekends and this ball was costing me shots. Rock hard feel, no appreciable spin off the irons or chips and pitches and it felt too hard for me off the putter.  I think the price point is that of a Tier 1 ball, so I'd say I'm a hard pass.  

Appreciate the feedback! Nothing fun about testing a shot during a round that matters, either, so your sacrifice is appreciated 🙂

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Thanks for taking one for the team, but at least you didn't have to pay for the opportunity! I think we tend to allocate a balls "Tier" primarily by price. With your TP 5s and Pro V1's and others selling for $15-$20 more, at $39, I would consider it more of a middle tier ball. Of course Dr. Bob is probably promoting as a Tier 1 ball at discount price.🤣

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 1 month later...

I had to buy the ball, I needed to know what is was all about. 

I would say that it feels like a ball that should be in the middle of the range price bracket (around 25-30 bucks). Its not horrible but the paint doesn't last 1 bunker. 

Cole Marsh

I actually like the PXG balls enough that I have now purchased 3 dozen of them after my initial purchase of a dozen (all at the PXG for Heroes pricing level).  I do not find it to feel any harder than the OnCore Vero X2 or Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash balls that I have been using over the last year.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I jsut finished up my first box of PXG - I kept two sleeves and gave two sleeves away to friends to get their POV as well

I normally play two balls depending on wind conditions (Prov1x and Prov1) - I am currently looking for antoher ball

I have tried the Srixon Z-star (diamond and XV) both really good, Kirland - not a bad ball but not for me, TM TP5's (like these but same issue that I have with titleist - expensive)

Maxfi is my next ball to test

My 2 cents on the PXG - 13 rounds 

1. Like the OG poster here, the balls were a bit clicky, but nothing really more than the Prov1x (at least much more noticable)
    1. Feel around the green like above was a bit clicky, but it spun very well for me around the green - I actually like palying it around the green
    2. Putter feel is were it may lose me - it appear to "pop' off the face more than any other ball (except the Kirkland), it did not perform any better or worse but the feel of that is not enticing (could possibly get used to it, bit I doubt it) 
    3. Bunker shots were about the same as around the green, had spin when needed - the ball cover did take some wear on it, but to be honest it was not anything that really concerned too much - did not really affect the ball playabilty to me 
  2. The driver distance was 4.7 yds avg longer on Trackman - The course I could not really see a huge diff
  3. I have a low ball flight already so this was nothing new to me  
    1. The irons were not any lower than normal (trackman) - in game situation was about the same
      1. 130 yds and in had tons of spin and it was easy enough to flight the wedges if needed 
      2. 190 - 140 had no issues - on course reacts very much like my Prov1x for me 
    2. The woods were very similar to Prov and Prov1x
      1. FW Woods - performed really well - able to hit my normal cut 3 and 5 wood 
      2. Driver - performed same normal ball I use

Final notes on the ball:

The ball for me played well, did not feel that I lost any strokes because of the ball. Felt the ball did wear a little more than I like but did not hurt my playing. Superwhite ball that def keeps its color and is pretty easy to find. Was able to move the ball at ease (well for my ability) and like above it spun for me really well 

I would purchase this ball again if I needed to, but would not go out of my way to find it (if you know what I am saying) - the price diff is not big enough for me swap form the Prov1 family

Also I am sure I did not do the best with the summation, so if you ahve specific questions I am sure I can give you type of answer 

Go Hogs!!!!!

hogs.png

Driver 1:  :taylormade-small: Stealth 12 degree - Ventus Red 5-S 

Driver 2: :taylormade-small: 300 Mini Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60G Stiff (tipped to 44.5inch)

3 Wood 2: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Fujikura Pro 65-S (higher ball flight)

5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Ventus Black 6-S

9 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Ventus Red 5-R

Irons: :cobra-small: King Tour 2023 - Fujikura Pro 95 Stiff - 6-9 - Fitted 

Wedges: :titleist-small: SM9 - 45-10F, 48-10F, 54-12-D, 58-12D (Testing Callaway Jaws 58-12-W)

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S - Fitted 

Balls :odin: - X1

On 3/11/2023 at 4:34 PM, 550025KV said:

I appreciate your review, it’s enough to keep me from buying a box to try myself haha! I game the Mizuno 566v and love it. 

Driver: ping.png.e3ed5628ca52a8b2c125dee1b870da4f.png g410 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65g) | 3 Wood: 70-707561_cobra-logo-png-transparent-cobra-golf-logo-vector.png-removebg-preview.png.b72d599215d4665a747b0adcf37e74ae.png LTDx (Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10) | Utility Iron: srixon-removebg-preview.png.12b8a132cea8523f77746a94937ae416.pngZX Utility (23* UST Mamiya Recoil 95g) | pxg.png.1f27c0c70c160b03f2f988ce62043156.png XCOR2 0211 6-GW (True Temper Elevate 95) | Wedges (52, 56, 60): mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png T22 Blue Ion (True Temper Dynamic Gold 132) | Putter: Myproject-12.png.a10a6f62037a1d622840ac8f721d759f.png Versa Double Wide Blade (Stroke Lab shaft) | Ball: mizuno2.png.a20033d8eca70bb4ac47d0bc51dfd514.png RB Tour X

Baseball player turned golf addict.