Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Lamkin UTX Grips - 2023 Forum Review

@mikeanthony looking forward to your review. As another z-grip user, I have been very interested in how they compare.

I found the utx to feel slippery in the shop, but that could be just because they get dirt from people grabbing them. They look so good in blue!

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

On 7/23/2023 at 4:43 PM, AndySP said:

@mikeanthony looking forward to your review. As another z-grip user, I have been very interested in how they compare.

I found the utx to feel slippery in the shop, but that could be just because they get dirt from people grabbing them. They look so good in blue!

I get that, and it makes sense … and I do think you’re right in that it’s a combination of dust and just dirt from others getting a feel for the grips. 

But once they’re out in the elements is when I think grips start to shine and work how they’re supposed to. I remember feeling somewhat the same way with the Z grips … but once the Zs got in hot and humid environment, along with some sweat, I loved them. 

Multiple independent reviews have rated the Zs highly for those that sweat a lot and for those hot/humid environments. 

Having the immediate feedback from the Dri-Tacs today vs the Zs, I’ll say the Zs are tackier and at the same time coarser … but the Dri-Tacs are just so much more comfortable, while also promoting a more relaxed grip. 

My hope is that the UTXs are somewhere right in between those two. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

Quick Update:

I played another round yesterday evening with the new UTX Grips. I'm quickly getting used to them. The only difference in my game I've noticed is a bit more "touch" in my wedge shots, which is great and a positive. The negative is happening with my driver. I can't tell if it's the grip change, the feel, the MCC4 taper differences, or my craptastic swing, but I'm slicing big time with my driver all of a sudden. I have read that grip size can affect this, so I'm hoping I can correct it fast. 

More to come! I play Wednesday and Friday this week. 

Twitter: @bobbyburdette

Instagram: bobbyburdette

54 minutes ago, Digiburdie said:

Quick Update:

I played another round yesterday evening with the new UTX Grips. I'm quickly getting used to them. The only difference in my game I've noticed is a bit more "touch" in my wedge shots, which is great and a positive. The negative is happening with my driver. I can't tell if it's the grip change, the feel, the MCC4 taper differences, or my craptastic swing, but I'm slicing big time with my driver all of a sudden. I have read that grip size can affect this, so I'm hoping I can correct it fast. 

More to come! I play Wednesday and Friday this week. 

Ah man … the driver is my biggest worry. It’s the standard factory grip with no wraps, and it is admittedly rather thin/narrow for me and I’ve simply managed to adjust over time. Along with that my driver has been singing as of late and has been a strength of my game the last few rounds.

I do think I’ll have some initial struggles with it as well, as I jump from standard to midsize grips. 

My 3W will likely/hopefully feel the same for the prior grip was a standard grip with several wraps underneath and shouldn’t feel too different with the Lamkins. 🤞🏼

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

image.png

@LeftyMatt89 have you been able to get some cuts in with the new grips yet?

Rcvd mine on Tuesday morning, but then it was off to a work trip that afternoon … jonesing to get back home and hit the range to see how they feel. Initial impressions were positive and really liked the new swing weight with them.  

image.png

9 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

@LeftyMatt89 have you been able to get some cuts in with the new grips yet?

Rcvd mine on Tuesday morning, but then it was off to a work trip that afternoon … jonesing to get back home and hit the range to see how they feel. Initial impressions were positive and really liked the new swing weight with them.  

Just dry swings. I am looking forward to the round Saturday together. Should be a good test with the dewy humid mornings out here right now. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

Round 3 with new grips UPDATE: 

Yesterday was very HOT in Pittsburgh, my hands were very sweaty and these grips held up with no issues. Every time I would grab a club from the bag it was like holding a brand new grip. The TACK is holding up to the claims! Stay Tuned! 

1 hour ago, Digiburdie said:

Round 3 with new grips UPDATE: 

Yesterday was very HOT in Pittsburgh, my hands were very sweaty and these grips held up with no issues. Every time I would grab a club from the bag it was like holding a brand new grip. The TACK is holding up to the claims! Stay Tuned! 

That's great to hear!  With the past few times I've regripped with new Sonar+ grips I've almost felt they got better after the first few rounds, maybe some oils or something from manufacturing wearing off?  I'm not sure, but the Genesis material is the real deal.  I'd imagine the ACE material in these is up to the task too! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 7/23/2023 at 8:24 PM, mikeanthony said:

My hope is that the UTXs are somewhere right in between the those two.

I’m really curious if this end up being the case. I’m always tempted to go to a more plush grip but I like my Multi-compounds and Z Cords I have. I said from the start of this thread the green ones were sharp and man the pictures were even better. I might be switching..

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

Was able to get 18 in with @LeftyMatt89 today at his club up at Berkeley CC and two of his fellow members. 

The weather was less than ideal for us, as today was legitimately the first time we both hit golf balls with the new grips … their range was closed as well, and it was a steady drizzle for the first 7 to 8 holes with an occasional harder downpour at times. Took a breakfast ball at the 1st tee, my second chance found the fairway, my 6i found the green and then proceeded to 3-putt bogey my start.

I will say by hole 3 or 4, I was beginning to let thoughts creep in about my doubts on the grips, for they def felt rather slippery on my non-gloved lower hand … almost to the point that I was somewhat regretting the decision to participate in this review. 

It wasn’t until hole 8 or 9 when the rain subsided that the grips began to feel slightly tackier and comfortable. And by hole 11 or 12, when the sun was out and the oppressive humidity picked up, for me, the grips really did begin to shine. Certainly my comfort level was higher and I really began to enjoy the grips, and in turn, I began to play much better compared to the front 9. 

Matt’s playing buddies are 1 and 4 hdcps and can absolutely pound the ball off the tee … I will attest that @LeftyMatt89 can smash his drives as well. Lol But once my nerves subsided in playing with a new crew and a new course, was I able to really get comfortable out there with the grips and felt they performed rather well. And the club I was most nervous about, my driver, was a much stronger performer on the back 9 and my trusty straight to slight fade worked. 

Went 48-42-90 with three 3-putt bogeys, but finished 18 with a birdie. 

All in all, pleased with my first outing and will be playing again tmrw at my home course. More to come. 

image.png

Had an awesome time with @mikeanthony on Saturday. 

As Mike stated, the conditions were perfect to really get a first on course impression of the grips. Beyond the rain, the humidity was really bad out there on Saturday. The grips almost initially felt slippery, but I never once had a hand slip during a swing. I even did all my touch shots 80 yards and in with no glove in rainy, humid conditions and did not notice any slippage. I was very impressed throughout the round that even though the grips felt a little slippery at times to the touch, in the swing I had stability. 

I had a very off day driving with some tops and an OB shot on 6 but managed to put together a round of 82 because of 11 one putts. I think the grips are a lot to contribute to the low putting because I missed a lot of greens and my chipping for the most part gave me opportunities to knock in a putt. I chip with no glove and was impressed initially by the grips.

I have the opportunity for some range time and playing this week, so I will definitely add more thoughts. If anyone has any questions, let me know. 

5 hours ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

As Mike stated, the conditions were perfect to really get a first on course impression of the grips. Beyond the rain, the humidity was really bad out there on Saturday. The grips almost initially felt slippery, but I never once had a hand slip during a swing. I even did all my touch shots 80 yards and in with no glove in rainy, humid conditions and did not notice any slippage. I was very impressed throughout the round that even though the grips felt a little slippery at times to the touch, in the swing I had stability. 

I had a very off day driving with some tops and an OB shot on 6 but managed to put together a round of 82 because of 11 one putts. I think the grips are a lot to contribute to the low putting because I missed a lot of greens and my chipping for the most part gave me opportunities to knock in a putt. I chip with no glove and was impressed initially by the grips.

I have the opportunity for some range time and playing this week, so I will definitely add more thoughts. If anyone has any questions, let me know. 

Grips sound very sound for all conditions and of high quality.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver

:callaway-small: Mavrik Three wood

:taylormade-small: M2 Hybrids 3, 4 & 5

:taylormade-small: R7 irons 5 - AW

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

3 hours ago, Woody83 said:

Grips sound very sound for all conditions and of high quality.

So far so good on the grips performing in bad conditions. I will keep putting them to the test. Any particular area you’re interested in the grips to report back on? 

33 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

So far so good on the grips performing in bad conditions. I will keep putting them to the test. Any particular area you’re interested in the grips to report back on? 

Interested to see how long they hold up

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

On 7/23/2023 at 4:43 PM, AndySP said:

Funny, I had the same experience. I picked one up and expected it to have the tacky feel that many other grips have, yet I found it very slick. Maybe it was because it was dirty or maybe as you use them they get more tack. I guess the reviews will tell us.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Update on grip performance on the hottest day of the year: 

I was in an outing on July 28... also known as hell on earth, as the temp was up in the high 90s here in Pittsburgh. I went through 3 different gloves throughout the day. It was just miserable. I was in the winning 4-some though so it was still fun (I'm Mike Putts in the pic below). Anyway, the Green UTXs held up with no problem. While I was struggling to keep sunscreen from melting off my head, multiple ruined gloves, and sweat in places I didn't even know existed on my body, the UTXs never failed. They were tacky, even with hand sweat. Never slipped once on me. So I have to say the cord and tack are working just as advertised! 

mikeputts.jpg.ce762ac6642c10b6c1c439001b865c2f.jpg

6 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Funny, I had the same experience. I picked one up and expected it to have the tacky feel that many other grips have, yet I found it very slick. Maybe it was because it was dirty or maybe as you use them they get more tack. I guess the reviews will tell us.

I agree. There were times I would rub them down with a dry towel because I thought, “man these will definitely slip,” but I think it may be the texture because it stayed relatively the same and I did not slip in my swing even with the humid and rain conditions Saturday. 

Got a 2nd round in with the grips yesterday and I'll say that I really am starting to like them, a lot.

Certainly not a chemical engineer by any means, and I'm not sure if there's a 'break-in' period with the type of rubber utilized in the UTX grips ... but the initial slick/slipperiness that I went thru for several holes yesterday was no longer an issue. They were tacky and ready to go from the get-go. Although I will say that my hybrids, which probably get used maybe 2 to 3 times a round, did feel a bit slick at first for I don't think I used them at all during my Saturday round with Matt. So if you buy them, I'd highly recommend a run through with each club at the driving range before on course play. 

As for my golf yesterday, it was a mess and want to attribute it to some exhaustion from walking a hilly course the day prior with Matt, and some poor sleep ... was up at 330am for a 640 round of golf. 😬 

As for the grips, and I really am being honest here, for me, they're great. I'm very impressed with them thus far. The level of tackiness and comfort is just right for my liking, and I'm regretting not having used midsize grips (as they've been suggested by prior fitters) from the get-go. And as @LeftyMatt89 mentioned, I am a gloves off feel player with my wedges from about say 50 yards and in, and they performed really well, which is one of the reasons I'm a big fan of the Winn Dri-Tacs for this specific purpose. My playing buddy walked to the green yesterday with only his putter, but realized his ball rolled off into the far bunker and requested to use my SW in this instance. He's a decade MCC guy and commented on how tacky and comfortable they are. 

I'll get some photos of my clubs later today and share them with y'all. 

image.png

26 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

Got a 2nd round in with the grips yesterday and I'll say that I really am starting to like them, a lot.

Certainly not a chemical engineer by any means, and I'm not sure if there's a 'break-in' period with the type of rubber utilized in the UTX grips ... but the initial slick/slipperiness that I went thru for several holes yesterday was no longer an issue. They were tacky and ready to go from the get-go. Although I will say that my hybrids, which probably get used maybe 2 to 3 times a round, did feel a bit slick at first for I don't think I used them at all during my Saturday round with Matt. So if you buy them, I'd highly recommend a run through with each club at the driving range before on course play. 

As for my golf yesterday, it was a mess and want to attribute it to some exhaustion from walking a hilly course the day prior with Matt, and some poor sleep ... was up at 330am for a 640 round of golf. 😬 

As for the grips, and I really am being honest here, for me, they're great. I'm very impressed with them thus far. The level of tackiness and comfort is just right for my liking, and I'm regretting not having used midsize grips (as they've been suggested by prior fitters) from the get-go. And as @LeftyMatt89 mentioned, I am a gloves off feel player with my wedges from about say 50 yards and in, and they performed really well, which is one of the reasons I'm a big fan of the Winn Dri-Tacs for this very reason. My playing buddy walked to the green yesterday with only his putter, but realized his ball rolled off into the far bunker and requested to use my SW in this instance. He's a decade MCC guy and commented on how tacky and comfortable they are. 

I'll get some photos of my clubs later today and share them with y'all. 

Look forward to seeing the photos.

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Great job so far! I have on of these on a club of mine because I needed a quick regrip and it was the only grip available that had cord in it. I still haven't decided if I love it but it's definitely a nice grip.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter: L.A.B. DF3 34"/67°
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

On 7/11/2023 at 2:43 PM, Digiburdie said:

I have gamed for the past couple of iterations of my grips, the Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 w/Arccos in MIDSIZE. I do like the non-taper feel of the Plus 4’s so that will be an adjustment I need to make with the UXTs. 

I’m in the same boat as you, loving the MCC plus 4 midsize. I bought the UTx at the start of the season and have been gaming them all summer, about 60 rounds so far. No wear and they do great in heat and sweat. Not hard on my hands. I still prefer the plus 4 on wedges and if a low taper grip were available with this rubber and cord combo, I’d definitely prefer them. 

If you are listening Lamkin, PLEASE make some low tapered versions of these!! I’ll buy them for sure. 

17 hours ago, Clayton said:

Around 60 rounds on a set and I can’t tell they have been used at all. 

WOW.  Awesome.  I will be checking these out.

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

I got another round in today and it was very humid and wet out. The course was soaked and I had a few issues again with two topped drivers. Tops are definitely not my usual miss. I am curious if it is the grips and I slip or if I am just making really bad swings. It could be a combo of both and hopefully I get it worked out soon as I go to Pinehurst next Sunday. 

14 hours ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I got another round in today and it was very humid and wet out. The course was soaked and I had a few issues again with two topped drivers. Tops are definitely not my usual miss. I am curious if it is the grips and I slip or if I am just making really bad swings. It could be a combo of both and hopefully I get it worked out soon as I go to Pinehurst next Sunday. 

Very nice.  Hope you have some excellent rounds at Pinehurst.

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

On 7/30/2023 at 11:55 PM, LeftyMatt89 said:

I'm a member at Berkeley too! Would love to meet up some time for a round! I was surprised to see two locals in the same test group. 

Taylormade 2019 P790 irons 4-GW

Cobra LTDX Volition 10.5 

Cobra RadSpeed 3W & 5W

Odyssey Marksman 

15 hours ago, Wel-Done said:

I'm a member at Berkeley too! Would love to meet up some time for a round! I was surprised to see two locals in the same test group. 

I’ll send you a message. I am headed to Pinehurst this weekend so I will probably not play Berk until the week of the 21st but we should for sure link up

Been a busy past few days for me with work, juggling no more summer camps for the kiddo and having company in town … and had been meaning to post a few photos of the grips on one of my irons. 

Got out to the range this morning for a bucket of balls and these grips are really working for me. Also liked the fact that the grips felt nice and tacky within my gloved hand, even did a few “swing out of shoes” type swings with my 8i and they didn't twist at all. 

Lone slight gripe thus far is that the grips have a curved/convex butt end and I’ve had two of my ShotScope sensors come off them. 😕 Slightly annoying, especially coming from the GP grips that were a bit more of a flat to concave butt end and allowed the tags to sit more flush with the grips and never once did they come unscrewed. 

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

IMG_2573.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

image.png

1 hour ago, mikeanthony said:

Been a busy past few days for me with work, juggling no more summer camps for the kiddo and having company in town … and had been meaning to post a few photos of the grips on one of my irons. 

Got out to the range this morning for a bucket of balls and these grips are really working for me. Also liked the fact that the grips felt nice and tacky within my gloved hand, even did a few “swing out of shoes” type swings with my 8i and they didn't twist at all. 

Lone slight gripe thus far is that the grips have a curved/convex butt end and I’ve had two of my ShotScope sensors come off them. 😕 Slightly annoying, especially coming from the GP grips that were a bit more of a flat to concave butt end and allowed the tags to sit more flush with the grips and never once did they come unscrewed. 

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

IMG_2573.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

Just now, Woody83 said:

The grips do look very nice.  I like the color scheme.

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Quick update on my testing of the Green UTx grips

I've had these on the range, on the course, and indoor Trackman sessions ten times now. The color is stunning and have already had several people ask me about them. It was the perfect build for my Wilson irons.

lamkin-wilson-everardo-keeme.jpg.5d97caba3dca3a027888961b8cb2a033.jpg

It's always hot in the summer in Phoenix but this month has been extra hot and that means a lot of sweat. I don't use gloves and so far the traction on these grips has been stellar! They don't chew up my hands as much as others but still provide plenty of traction even with some sweat on the palms. More to come!

Green Lamkin UTx grip in hand