Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Looking for a new 3 wood

NickyBobby

Have had a Titleist 915f 3 wood in my bag for years that I rarely use. It goes about the same distance as my ping g410 3 hybrid and is less forgiving so it doesn’t see much usage. So I’m looking for a new one that can provide me some distance that isn’t too difficult to hit. The pings from the g410 to to the g430 all look nice. Any suggestions?

Currently hitting a ping g410 driver and hybrid. Titleist 715 3 wood. Ping i500 irons. Cleveland RTX 4 wedges and an odyssey white hot og 7s putter. 

Get a 4 or 5 wood. Most people struggle to hit 3w because of length of the club and loft of the head.

Using a shorter length and more loft makes it easier to get the ball in the air and get as much distance as the 3w if not better as a result 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I took some frustration out of my game by taking the 3 wood out of the bag entirely.  I now play with a 5-wood turned down to be closer to a 4-wood and a 7-wood turned down one degree with a 5-wood shaft.  I am most happy with this set up.  

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

Don’t buy new, get an older tour edge exotics 4 wood.  I have an OCG7 in my backup bag and it is a great club.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Agreed with others on the 4 wood suggestion. During my recent Mizuno fitting the 3w really came to life when turned up to 17*, essentially 4w territory. That loft gave me far better ball flight and dispersion. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I must say, my stealth 2 plus set at 15 with the 50g all the way back, and 1/2" short is around that as well. The stealth 2 plus provides some crazy adjustability if you can find one for a decent price

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate the feedback!

Currently hitting a ping g410 driver and hybrid. Titleist 715 3 wood. Ping i500 irons. Cleveland RTX 4 wedges and an odyssey white hot og 7s putter. 

6 hours ago, NickyBobby said:

Appreciate the feedback!

The high loft versions of 3 woods with around 16.5 degrees would be easier to launch. I have never tried one but the Cleveland Launcher FW look very user friendly and budget friendly, same for some of the Tour Edge suggested above. lots of options out there.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

I use a Cobra Aerojet 3 wood turned up to 16 - essentially a 4 wood. It’s borderline automatic off the tee. Off the deck, my Aerojet 5 wood turned up to 19.5 is just way easier to hit.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

9 hours ago, Micah T said:

I use a Cobra Aerojet 3 wood turned up to 16 - essentially a 4 wood. It’s borderline automatic off the tee. Off the deck, my Aerojet 5 wood turned up to 19.5 is just way easier to hit.

Yeah I like the 3 turned up to 16

17 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

The high loft versions of 3 woods with around 16.5 degrees would be easier to launch. I have never tried one but the Cleveland Launcher FW look very user friendly and budget friendly, same for some of the Tour Edge suggested above. lots of options out there.

The high loft 3 woods are what I’m leaning towards!

1 hour ago, NickyBobby said:

Yeah I like the 3 turned up to 16

The high loft 3 woods are what I’m leaning towards!

I went with the stealth 1 bought used on Ebay or a bargain IMO it has the larger 190 CC head and 16.5 loft I liked the larger version compared to others for off the tee work.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

Like everyone else it seems I’m playing a Ping 5 wood adjusted to 16 degrees so a strong 4 wood that stays in play when I miss left unlike most 3 woods. I’m also carrying a ping 7 wood at 21 degrees - my original Taylormade 5 wood loft from decades ago.  I can occasionally step on the 5 wood & hit it 250+ but it travels 225-240 consistently so fits my needs. The 7 wood overlaps both the 5 wood & 4 hybrid a little but is easy to hit & keep in play.

I miss the distance on a flat 3 wood once in a while, I never miss the OB left.

The sound of a long drive is so much cooler when your playing partner says “Wow”

It's not super long but I have cleveland launcher halo that is probably the easiest 3w I've ever hit at 15*   I launch it very easily and I'm usually bad at that

• LTDx 9* TOUR AD-VR 6x
  • CLEVELAND LAUNCHER XL 15*
  • COBRA SPEEDZONE 19* HYBRID
  • CALLAWAY XR WITH ELEVATE 95S 4-AW
  • CBX2 54* TM BIG FOOT 58*
  • ODYSSEY VERSA 3 TS
  • CHROME SOFT X LS YELLOW

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 10:51 AM, cnosil said:

Don’t buy new, get an older tour edge exotics 4 wood.  I have an OCG7 in my backup bag and it is a great club.  

I like this option. I have an Xcg6 11.5* 3 wood in my bag currently and use it off the tee exclusively. They made some rockets in those days. Xcg6, 7, E8, etc was a good era for exotics. Hard to beat them. I like the beta version for off the deck and standard for off the tee as they have a big footprint. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I also just picked up a srixon zx 5 wood and I use it as my main fairway wood (off the deck) and it is awesome. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Love my Sim Max 3-wood, Zero desire to change. Easy to hit, goes long, and hits a nice controllable shot ... can also be worked either way if you want.  I can hit a geared down fade 240 or a geared up draw 280 - which allows that to be my only fairway wood - My next lowest club is a 3-rion that I can hit about that same 240 distance, depending on the lie.  Should be able to be bought for a bargain right now.  

Of course, shaft will matter just as much, or maybe even more than the head, to achieve whatever your goal is for a particular club. I think that's especially true in the long game clubs.

Edited by vamosjackets

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie