Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How long to you spend practicing putting?

Recently I moved away from a course that was really close to the house I lived in and now live nowhere near walking distance to a golf course. I would practice my putting there for a good 45 minutes to an hour at least 4 times a week. Anyone do the same? I’m about to get a putting mat and start doing the same amount of time. Any suggestions?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

I certainly do not practice enough. I have a putting mat and I planned on putting like 50 balls a night but tend to miss most nights lol. I have a buddy that would go on his lunch breaks and practice 15 minutes per day at a course by his work and it had a huge impact on his putting. 

During COVID I purchased a Big Moss 8 ft. Big Moss putting green for practicing inside.  Overall, I thought it helped me and gave me something golf to do when the course was shut down or at night.   The narrow width of the green helped with my alignment.   There was also a foam ramped pad under the hole end of the green that gave the cup about 2 inches or so depth so balls would drop in and ensure I had a decent pace to get up the 2 ft. long ramp.  The white cardboard cup insert made it look like a standard golf hole.   It was nice because it was portable.   I set it up in our spare bedroom/office.  When we'd have guests, I'd just roll it up, tuck it away and would put it back in place when the coast was clear.   

Because it was just one hole, after a while it seemed a bit boring.  The green also did not have an automatic ball return capability so I'd have to retrieve the balls when the area in and around the hole became too crowded.  To make it a bit more interesting and to better deal with retrieving balls, about every third time I would do my putting practice I'd use a PuttOUT Pressure Putt Trainer like this:

image.png.33603c97391c5017dbd09e8de9f85a10.png

It was a great help as it helped me with my aim and pace (as you roll it up the ramp and try to get the ball to sit in the area halfway up labeled with the "P").   At first, it seemed impossible.  With practice, it became more probable.   It's compact, easy to set up and it will return balls back to you that are slightly off line or not the right pace.   At night, I'd go in and putt with it until I made one.  Sometimes it was a while and other times just a few putts.   I found this simple device made my inside practice time a bit more fun and enjoyable.

Living in Key West, it's nice to have a pool to cool off during the warm days (and there's plenty of those during the year).  Like many who live in Old Town, we have a small back yard.  I was a little hesitant to get a pool with the upkeep, etc. until my wife said "If I get the pool, you can get an outdoor putting green."  That was an easy win-win proposal! We got a survey, worked with the architect on the pool location and then plotted out the best size of green to go with.  I decided to go with a roughly 6' x 14ft. five hole Pro Putt System green that uses interlocking plastic base pieces with a high-quality putting turf overlay.  It was easy to install and I could move it if I wanted to.  These greens can be used inside or out and so far has been great.  I also got a chipping pad to help out one of my playing partners chipping issues.  Here's a picture of the set up.

PuttingGreenwithFlags.jpg.c86161c3bc471f670a71ab08bd36eb75.jpg  ChippingPadwithFlags.jpg.99e961037eb720e7828a417c9c2d9160.jpg

My friends knew I was installing the green and gave me a Masters and a St. Andrews Old Course flags that I installed on the outside shower.  I use this about every other day for about 30 minutes or so.   This time of year, it's about as much as I can take in the heat.   Now, once I'm done, I just jump in the pool.  Like I said, win-win!

It has helped me with my putting stroke, with the greater variety of lengths I can get with this green.  The chipping pad works was a nice addition.  I was surprised how well the balls would check up in the artificial turf.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
13 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

Recently I moved away from a course that was really close to the house I lived in and now live nowhere near walking distance to a golf course. I would practice my putting there for a good 45 minutes to an hour at least 4 times a week. Anyone do the same? I’m about to get a putting mat and start doing the same amount of time. Any suggestions?

I spend an hour a few nights a week on my ExPutt working on face and distance control.  I’ll change it up occasionally and do gate drills for face control.   I also try to putt a little when I am at MGS HQ for club testing. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

Any suggestions?

I tested the Birdie Ball Putting mat for MGS two years ago.  So full disclosure I did not purchase it.  It is the 12 foot long 3' wide one.  It has held up nicely, and runs at a decent speed.  Props to you(at 33-39) for being able to spend 45 minutes at a time putting.  I have 6 balls on the mat that I put from each distance from 3-11 feet.  So I'm putting around 40-50 balls, and it takes me about 15-20 minutes and I do it 3-5 times a week.   Mostly in the winter time!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

I spend an hour a few nights a week on my ExPutt working on face and distance control.  I’ll change it up occasionally and do gate drills for face control.   I also try to putt a little when I am at MGS HQ for club testing. 

I think I’m close to their HQ, may have to go check them out

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

SO MUCH TIME!

part of it is now that we have 2 kids time isnt there to do as much on course or even at the range so putting practice is what i tend to do a lot of. 

I also love it which helps, but I would say 30 minutes a day minimum with a mat and puttout trainer. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I usually go to the course to practice a couple of times a week; hit a few balls; practice pitching, chipping and putting.  I'm there maybe 2 hours and what gets the most time is what wasn't working well when I played on the weekend.  Putting is not a big issue for me, but I will still spend 10-15 minutes on it.  On days I play, I will spend 10 minutes on the practice green mostly to get the green speed de jour.  

Last winter my hitting bay was completed and I have a 4x12 foot Big Moss putting green inside so I can spend time in the evenings and when the weather is not great at the course.  I'm out there every day... even on days that I go to the course.  My time there is short, but I will make several visits when I feel like I don't have anything better to do.  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I hope to purchase a home putting mat so that I could put in 15-20 minutes a day! Just bought a house so have more space and it’s way easier to do that than make it to the range or course during the week

---
WITB
Driver - Cobra F9 10.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke S Shaft | 3W - TM Stealth 2+ w/ HZRDUS Black Gen 4 60 Shaft
3 Hybrid - TM Stealth 2 19 degree w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hy Shaft
4i thru 9i - Callaway Rogue ST Pro w/ Project X Rifle 6.0. Shaft | PW, AW - Callaway Rogue ST Pro w/ Project X Rifle 6.0. Shaft
Sand Wedge - 56 degree TaylorMade ATV | Lob Wedge - 60 degree TaylorMade MG2 Raw Face
Putter - Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

1 hour ago, Wheelieb said:

I think I’m close to their HQ, may have to go check them out

They are in Yorktown and have an open door policy.  They are working on their new facility which they are hoping to be open soon. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, Kinglouie65 said:

Not enough 😁 but I find practice short irons 40-60 yards the most difficult to practice. Not a CC guy so driving range doesn't help. Any ideas ?

I saw on James Ridyard's Instagram that he was offering a short game instruction called the Better Pitching Plan.

https://wedgematrix.com/en-us/pages/landing-page

I signed up and watched the videos.  Some good advice in the videos and some ways to practice 30-90 yards.  

great topic and one that all amateurs should really think about.

Every shot counts, my 250 yd drive on the fairway-1 shot, my 145 yd 7 iron to 6 feet from the pin-1 shot, my missed 6 footer-1 shot and my tap in for 4-1 shot.

You get the just of it, spend as much time on your putting as you do on the rest of your game, simple simon. 

I am guilty, I do not follow my own advice,  however I do make a point of always putting during my practice routine, my problem is I get restless when practicing putting, I have to play mind games to stay engaged. And as I say to myself many many times....

Just do it. 

committed to performance excellence

The closest course is generally too far to drive very often to putt. But then the general manager comes out to check that you have a tee time. He doesn't like to allow people to practice at his facility unless they are going out. Soooooo. I don't go there. I bought some remnant rug pieces indoor outdoor that rolls balls pretty decent. I also use my net in the barn. For short game I often (2-3 times a week0 go to a local park and hit balls to different trees at different distances from diff grass lies.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Not enough, but the last few weeks I really try to go to the practice green before my rounds to make sure I get a good feel. 

WITB

I practice probably 10 to 15 minutes 5 times a week. But I don't have to go to the course to practice. The greens at my course are slower than I like so I practice on the Odyssey 10-foot mat and now I just added in a PuttOUT to the practice yesterday. The crazy carpet came with the house/ garage, but the circles are the same size as a golf cup. I can practice longer putts that way as well. 

Gameroom1.jpg.8f4137fdfc1cdd91ee251b3e7b4aaff6.jpg

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag