Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

First Iron Purchase - What do you suggest?

jlconnolly11

Hello! This is my first post!

I am looking for some suggestions of what irons would be a good fit for my game. I am 34 years old and have played golf off and on since I was in my teens. In the last year I am playing a lot more than previously. Almost every week at this point. My driver speed is usually between 104-112mph when I to go to a range with a monitor. I have a hand me down set of old(IE 90's) Mitsushiba Vipers with graphite shafts that are definitely showing their age.

As I am having more time and chances to play, I feel that I could benefit from a newer set of irons more than anything else. With all of the new technologies and buzzwords, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

What do you recommend or what should I stay away from? I've been leaning towards Cobra LTDXs or a Sim Max 2 set, but that is purely based on the price point and looks.

Thanks for any and all help!

• Cobra AMP Cell Driver
  • Cobra Aerojet 3 Wood
  • Cobra LTDx 3 Hybrid
  • Cobra LTDx 5-GW Irons
  • Tour Edge 52,56, 60
  • Odyssey White Hot #4

There are lots of good options. Would never advise to stay away from something.

The problem is that what works for one person may not work for someone else.

Shaft weight and profile are also something that needs to be considered along with how the feel and balance of that with the clubhead feels.

Things like sweeper vs digger and sole type and turf interaction.

Swing speed of a driver has no role in determining irons or much of anything.

Best thing to do is go to a place like 2ndswing, pgasuperstore, etc that has lots of clubs to demo and see what you like. Then either buy those or go get fit 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd highly suggest getting fitted for irons once you have a good idea of the category you're interested in (game improvement, player's distance, etc.). Demo'ing clubs first is a good way of figuring out the category, and then getting fit would be really helpful to dial in your best performance with those irons. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

1 hour ago, brogies said:

I'd highly suggest getting fitted for irons once you have a good idea of the category you're interested in (game improvement, player's distance, etc.). Demo'ing clubs first is a good way of figuring out the category, and then getting fit would be really helpful to dial in your best performance with those irons. 

Couldn't agree more!  I finally got fitted this year and it has made a world of difference in my ball flight and play. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Personally I would go and get fit for them if you can. If you have the money to buy new getting fitted is logical. You'll get the right irons in your hands for your swing and often the fitting is free if you buy the irons after. That is what I'd do. Now, if you are like me and can't afford new irons, I'd still go get fitted and from there pay the fitter for his time. Get the specs and buy a second hand set. From there you can probably stop in and get them bent to your specs.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with others on here that I would highly recommend a fitting. It sounds like you play enough that you probably make decently consistent contact, so the process should be pretty painless. Since you’ve played the same clubs for so long, I think a good first step is to figure out what you like to see at address. Does a thick top line or a thinner top line give you more confidence? Does the amount of offset really throw you off? Things like this can whittle down your options a lot right off the bat.

The good news is there are so many great options on the market right now. If you are playing almost every week you could probably slot into the players distance iron range or maybe game improvement, but that’s a total guess without seeing your swing. I’m a big fan of the current lineups from PXG (0311P and XP would probably be up your alley and you can go Gen 5 to save some cash), Taylormade (P790), Mizuno (JPX line as well as the Mizuno Pro 225), and Titleist (probably T200 or T350).

Just make sure you enjoy the process! New toys are always fun, so make sure you aren’t stressing out about it. A fitter is going to get you in something you can play well, so I would be shocked if you don’t go through this and knock some strokes off your scores no matter what you end up with!

Driver: Titleist 913D2

3W: Taylormade Burner

5-GW: PXG 0311P Gen 5 (1* weak)

56: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60: Ping Glide 2.0 SS

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1

100% agree with everyone about getting a fitting done!  I just did it this year and am mad at myself for not doing one years ago.  It makes a world of difference and as @mbrodeur86 said, even if you can't go new, you will figure out what brand/combo you need and find second hand.  If you are a righty, the options are limitless when it comes to finding used clubs.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Not to mention getting a fitting is fun and it often gets you more excited about the products you end up ordering or gives you some added knowledge to make a better informed decision about you and your game.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Looks like you're near Huntsville; look for a place that will give you a free fitting with purchase. Don't let them upsell you on fancy shafts or any of that garbage. Let them know you're a beginner and you just need a basic set of irons to get started.
just going into it, realize that even if you get fit for clubs it won't guarantee anything - just like getting the right basketball shoes won't help you dunk - your misses will probably be smaller, your bad shots won't be as bad but if you go into it with that mindset you'll have a good foundation to build off of.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

On 8/18/2023 at 3:21 PM, jlconnolly11 said:

I am looking for some suggestions of what irons would be a good fit for my game. I am 34 years old and have played golf off and on since I was in my teens. In the last year I am playing a lot more than previously. Almost every week at this point. My driver speed is usually between 104-112mph when I to go to a range with a monitor. I have a hand me down set of old(IE 90's) Mitsushiba Vipers with graphite shafts that are definitely showing their age.

As I am having more time and chances to play, I feel that I could benefit from a newer set of irons more than anything else. With all of the new technologies and buzzwords, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

What do you recommend or what should I stay away from? I've been leaning towards Cobra LTDXs or a Sim Max 2 set, but that is purely based on the price point and looks.

IMO, your best bet would be to get a fitting done first, even if it doesn't end up being the clubhead you end up in, so that you can get all of your specs accurately measured. You can also get a good feel for what shaft fits your swing the best. I did my first iron fitting this year for the Cobra Challenge (Aerojet line) and ended up in a set that was 3 degrees upright. Has made a big difference for me in terms of ball striking.

If you're looking at used sets, it's obviously more challenging to get exactly what you are fit for. New iron sets are definitely expensive, but if it's an investment you're making where you plan to play the set for the next 5+ years, going new might not be a bad move if you can afford the up front cost. FWIW, I love the Aerojet irons. Consistent distances and really don't get the occasional flyer that you can see with some other GI irons. 

TL;DR: Schedule a fitting, get your specs, find a used set if you want to save some money to get as close as you can to the fit with shaft and club head category. Can always extend shafts if needed and have loft/lie adjusted. If new is an option, check out my review of the Aerojet line here from the Cobra Challenge earlier this year. I'm in the similar handicap range and think you may find it beneficial!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I had a fitting done by my coach during a lesson, you need to know length, lie (+/-) and lofts. I went with the takomo irons after researching a lot of brands and companys, I love the clubs haven’t played this well in a long time, getting clubs that fit to you is a must. 

Not to be a broken record, but getting fit is really the one and only way to really get clubs that are going to be what you need for your swing at this point in time. Just buying off the rack is a guessing game and can be an expensive one at that.

Looking around your home city, I found a few options depending on how much you want to drive and spend.

PGA Tour SuperStore is in Memphis and Birmingham.

PXG looks to have a variety of fitting studios in Hunstville, but this is PXG clubs only.

Golf Galaxy is in Birmingham or Nashville.

Club Champion is in Huntsville, Birmingham, and Nashville.

Dick's Sporting Goods is in Florence, Huntsville, Birmingham, and just about everywhere else.

Club Champion will have the most options for heads and shafts, but can be expensive to buy from. But they do great work on the fitting if you want to get the better overall fitting experience and just get the clubs elsewhere for less. PGA Tour SuperStore will be the next best option, again large selection and likely a good place to buy from. My experiences with Golf Galaxy and Dick's (they're actually owned by the same company) have not been good, but your experience may vary.

If you're interested in a virtual fitting (via the phone) and are ok with the direct to consumer option, Sub70 is a great company to work with and their customer service is second to none. They're excellent at asking all the right questions to help with the fitting aspect, albeit virtually.

Hopefully this helps.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

If you have a PXG store to get fitted check them out. I just got a set of 0211's with graphite shafts and love them. I played some hand-me-down Bridgestone cavity backs before. They were good, but if I had the money to spend at the start I wish I would have started with the 0211's. They are a game changer. My fitting fee was credited to the price of my clubs. 

Driver: PXG Gen 3 0311XF with XS - Tensei AV Raw White 65

3W:  Titelist 906 F2

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue 11

4i-GW: PXG 0211 with MMT shafts

Cleveland CG12 52*

Taylormade XFT 56*

Cleveland CG11 60*

Odyssey Works Versa Tank 7

Ball: Bridgestone E6 or Callaway Supersoft Matte Red. (Honestly I have played more, but prefer and can afford those).

- Greatest Golf accomplishment thus far: Played an entire 18 (it was a scramble so I am not sure if you would count it or not) with the same Yellow Titleist ProV1. It has since been retired and be displayed. 

Welcome @jlconnolly11! Hopefully the first post of many. 

I'm going to side with all stating getting fitted for your first set.  Good fitting sources: PGA Store, PXG Store, Taylormade Lab or your local PGA Pro are good starts. Technology is amazing today and help steer you in a positive direction.   
Good Luck! ⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Welcome to the forum @jlconnolly11! I'd highly recommend going back through mygolfspy best game improvement iron from 2020, 2021, 2022 and finding a used set of one of the top rated sets. Unless you're very tall/short or your swing is extremely unique, I think you should be able to find a pretty good deal. The Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal irons are very highly rated. The Srixon Z5 and Z585 irons would be a good find for a lower used price. I'm also kind of a Sub70 fanboy, so the 699 irons are what I personally recommend to most of my friends, and they can get you slightly dialed in over the phone. 

My opinion on fittings is mixed. Fitters are going to fit you for your swing the day of the fitting. If you're looking to improve, your swing could/will change almost immediately after the fitting. Taking lessons first would be better IMO. Just make sure you let the instructor know that you haven't been fit yet.

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

Thanks for all the advice! I plan on getting fitted sometime this fall to see what would work best for me. Probably going to go the pre-owned route for financial reasons, but the fitting makes sense as I hope to use these for a long time. In the mean time, I plan on trying out ALL of my buddies irons to see if I can get an idea of what I like to give myself a good starting point.

Thanks again!

• Cobra AMP Cell Driver
  • Cobra Aerojet 3 Wood
  • Cobra LTDx 3 Hybrid
  • Cobra LTDx 5-GW Irons
  • Tour Edge 52,56, 60
  • Odyssey White Hot #4

On 8/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, jlconnolly11 said:

Welcome to the forum @jlconnolly11.  I will echo the suggestion to get an iron fitting.  At ~$100, it is a really worthwhile investment.  You'll have a chance to test a good cross-section of makes/models from which you can develop a short list or even find a clear standout.  This will also identify which shafts work best.  You don't need to feel pressured to purchase from them and, as @jbern stated, you can likely find a prior model year release that will work great and save you some money - particularly if you are standard lie and length.

Good luck with the search and ley us know what you decide on... and we love pics, lots of pics.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

On 8/18/2023 at 4:21 PM, jlconnolly11 said:

I tested the Cobra LTDx irons. I hit them very well and really liked them but I did not like the strong lofts. They are VERY strong even by today's standards. At your age and swing speed I think you'll wind up with a huge gap at the bottom of the bag.  That's what concerned me.

The attached link is a good source to narrow your search and try:

https://coolclubs.com/cool-clubs-iron-reviews/

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Club champion usually once a month has a sale where you can get fit for $50 or $100.  Its a blast and my store doesnt pressure you to buy from them. 
So definitely get fit if you plan to play alot more and then if your cheap like me go on the facebook or this forum to find a like new set of clubs you were fit into and you will be saving a ton of money! 

WITB

• 3 months later...

Well, I got an early Christmas gift for myself. I went and got fitted at Golf Galaxy, and the results recommended getting a set of Stealth irons. However, I couldn't justify that price and the clubs I hit second best was the Aerojet irons. They didn't have any LTDx irons in stock for me to test out, but recommended them as a cheaper option with comparable specs to the Aerojets.

I spent a good month looking for a deal on a used set, but didn't see anything sub $500 for any in decent condition. Right before Thanksgiving, I stumbled across a crazy sale and got NEW set of 5-PW,GW Cobra LTDx irons for $319 out the door! I've only played them 4 times before it got cold/I got busy, but so far I am very happy with my purchase!

Thanks for all of the advice, and I would highly recommend anyone looking for new irons to go and get fitted!

• Cobra AMP Cell Driver
  • Cobra Aerojet 3 Wood
  • Cobra LTDx 3 Hybrid
  • Cobra LTDx 5-GW Irons
  • Tour Edge 52,56, 60
  • Odyssey White Hot #4