Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Takomo

ParNone

I am a big fan of Takomo! Wanted to created this Topic to have a place for reviews, feedback, and experience with anything/everything Takomo.

Aloha,

ParNone (I hardly make Pars, it's mostly Bogeys LOL)

Driver Cobra LTDx

5W Cobra Radspeed

Takomo 4Ui

Takomo 101 Irons 4-PW

Cleveland CBX ZipCore Wedges 48,52,58

Putter Odyssey Stroke Lab Versa 7 

Ball Vice Pro

Started gaming the Takomo 101 irons back in March 2023. I ordered them in KBS Tour 120 S shafts w/ Midsize Lamkin Crossline grips. They replaced my almost 30 yr old, hand-me-down set of King Snake Oversize irons. Immediately, I felt how easy they were to get in the air. The first "Wow!" shot for me was with my 5 iron. Typically, I never feel comfortable over a 5 iron. I remember taking the shot and seeing how high and easy it launched. It was awesome! They will be staying in my bag for a while, and they look really sweet. All my friends ask about them and think they are blades haha. Always complimenting on how good they look. Would definitely recommend!

Just got a hold of the first release of the 101U iron. I ordered the 4Ui 22 degree in S Flex that came stock with a KBS Graphite 80 shaft. The black shaft with the Takomo head look absolutely stunning! First picking it up the weight and feel is great. Taking a few swings, I liked how I could feel the weight of the head. It felt like a very smooth and easy feel to me. I was able to take it out on the course this past weekend. I used it off the tee on a long Par3. Hit it super toe-y but got away with it. I did lose some yardage but that is expected. I was also able to hit it out of the fairway and out of the rough for my second shot on some Par 5s. Turf interaction felt great. The ball comes very hot off the face, which I like. I was able to play my normal fade with this club. All around great club. I "needed" to fill a space in my bag between my 4i and 5w. My 4i goes about 200 and 5w about 230. Found this new Takomo 4Ui to go 210-15 for me. Will probably look in to ordering the 2Ui just for fun later haha. 

Edited by ParNone

Aloha,

Driver Cobra LTDx

5W Cobra Radspeed

Takomo 4Ui

Takomo 101 Irons 4-PW

Ball Vice Pro

ParNone... awesome that you started this.

I just ordered Takomo 101's on 9-21 to replace my aging Mizuno JPX900's, which I purchased at release.  Originally wanting to go back to Mizuno, but everything I've read and watched about Takomo have been positive, at about half the cost, if not less.  $320 for heads only, $490 with steel shafts, $590 for graphite, why not take a shot, seems like a no brainer.  Waiting on pins and needles for them to arrive, ordered just the heads, 4i - pw, so component's coming everyday makes the wait easier. My total cost for everything...  $650, give or take a few bucks.

Takomo 101 heads 4-pw

4 Aerotech Steelfiber 110g stiff

3 Aerotech Steelfiber 95g stiff

7 Lamkin UTX cord midsize

4 brass shims for the 110g shafts (.355 tip to .370)

Ferrules from Boyd Blade & Ferrule (bbandfco.com)

Pics will follow once I assemble them, thoughts and impressions after a few rounds then after a few months.

SRIXON ZX5 LS Mkll  HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0  

SRIXON Z F85 13.5° 3W & SRIXON Z F85 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

TAKOMO 101 4-pw (custom- Steelfiber 95s 4i-6i, 110s 7i-pw   BB&F ferrules)

PING Glide 2.0 50° & Cleveland RTX 4.0 Tour Raw 56°

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

SRIXON Z STAR Diamond & MaxFli TourX

NEVR LOOZ Pro Clip cart bag 

Have been looking at these lately and wanting to see if anyone has played the 301 combo set and see what their thoughts are on them?

Current Bag:

Driver- Titleist TSI3

Hybrids- Titleist 915 3, Ping G410 4, Ping 4 Crossover

Irons- Ping G410 6-UW

Wedges- Vokey SM8

Putter- Scotty FastBack or Spider 

I built my own 101's a bit over a year ago.

True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 S300

BB&F Co Boilermaker ferrules

GolfPride MCC+4 Teams Gold/Black midsize

I'm all in for around $690 for parts, plus the builder costs.

Takomo101.jpg.c71fe8f9841f8c65383319e935078ed5.jpg

I'm working on my iron swing so I can hopefully take full advantage of the clubs, which I haven't been up till now due to a casting issue.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

On 9/27/2023 at 5:16 AM, Mikedb26 said:

ParNone... awesome that you started this.

I just ordered Takomo 101's on 9-21 to replace my aging Mizuno JPX900's, which I purchased at release.  Originally wanting to go back to Mizuno, but everything I've read and watched about Takomo have been positive, at about half the cost, if not less.  $320 for heads only, $490 with steel shafts, $590 for graphite, why not take a shot, seems like a no brainer.  Waiting on pins and needles for them to arrive, ordered just the heads, 4i - pw, so component's coming everyday makes the wait easier. My total cost for everything...  $650, give or take a few bucks.

Takomo 101 heads 4-pw

4 Aerotech Steelfiber 110g stiff

3 Aerotech Steelfiber 95g stiff

7 Lamkin UTX cord midsize

4 brass shims for the 110g shafts (.355 tip to .370)

Ferrules from Boyd Blade & Ferrule (bbandfco.com)

Pics will follow once I assemble them, thoughts and impressions after a few rounds then after a few months.

@Mikedb26 

Thanks for the reply. Didn’t know if this would actually pick-up traction. 

Stoked you decided to pull the trigger on some Takomo irons. You’re gonna love them. I can’t wait for the upcoming pics after the build! 🤙🏽

Aloha,

Driver Cobra LTDx

5W Cobra Radspeed

Takomo 4Ui

Takomo 101 Irons 4-PW

Ball Vice Pro

On 9/27/2023 at 7:08 AM, Bartfaster said:

Anyone using their wedges? They look great but wondering how they perform.

@Bartfaster

I recently took my 60 out of the bag. Honestly, chipping hasn’t been my strong point. I haven’t played a LW in the past so it was a hard learning curve for me. What I did like was the weight of the head. I like being able to feel the weight of the head in the swing. When I did make good contact on shorter chips, the spin was great. I definitely think they are worth a try. 

Aloha,

Driver Cobra LTDx

5W Cobra Radspeed

Takomo 4Ui

Takomo 101 Irons 4-PW

Ball Vice Pro

On 9/29/2023 at 6:56 AM, Shrek74 said:

I built my own 101's a bit over a year ago.

True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 S300

BB&F Co Boilermaker ferrules

GolfPride MCC+4 Teams Gold/Black midsize

I'm all in for around $690 for parts, plus the builder costs.

Takomo101.jpg.c71fe8f9841f8c65383319e935078ed5.jpg

I'm working on my iron swing so I can hopefully take full advantage of the clubs, which I haven't been up till now due to a casting issue.

@Shrek74

I love the black and gold theme!! They look so sweet! Awesome build! Can’t wait to hear how they feel once you get them out on the course. Happy Golfing! 🤙🏽

Aloha,

Driver Cobra LTDx

5W Cobra Radspeed

Takomo 4Ui

Takomo 101 Irons 4-PW

Ball Vice Pro

@Jcogan

I hope someone can give some feedback here as well. I only have the 101s. 

Aloha,

Driver Cobra LTDx

5W Cobra Radspeed

Takomo 4Ui

Takomo 101 Irons 4-PW

Ball Vice Pro

Wedges - have read and or watched reviews, haven't found anything negative, thought about them but purchased new wedges not long ago. 

Currently playing to a 5 hdcp, and rising, not happy.  Purchased the 101's mostly because the lofts are the same as the outgoing Mizuno's, and to be honest, not getting any younger.  So the more forgiving, the better off I'll be down the road, and if for some reason we don't see eye to eye, easier to sell.  Hopefully able to get out this weekend for their maiden voyage, finally removed the plastic from the heads after completing the build!!

20231004_110158.jpg

20231004_110141.jpg

20231004_110447.jpg

PING G425 3 hybrid 

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

I have some interest in wedges from them. I got a 54 58 Mizuno s23 and loved then to start. But found I just missed the versatility of the ping glide es sole.. So I ended up making the full move back. If another company can find a way to get that same versatility they will for sure have my business. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I’ve been thinking a lot about the 101’s. Was kind of torn between the 101t and 101’s. I’m a 15-18 handicap and I really can’t hit a draw or fade on command, so I’m leaning more towards the 101’s. Like to see the feedback. Definitely will help when it’s time to pull the trigger. 

I'm hoping to get first playing impressions this coming weekend.  I've never been a huge "shaper" of the ball, no matter what handicap I am playing to, hook or slice when needed, but generally I want straight.  

Just comparing the 101's to my JPX900's visually:

-Blade length is a tiny bit more in the 101, only if set next to each other is it noticeable 

-Little more offset as well, not offensive, could be a visual trick.  Doesn't bother me in the least. 

-The soles through the set are wider

So the 101's are supposedly more forgiving, and I'm expecting that to hold true.  Modern hollow bodied irons v 2016 cavity backs, they should be.  I'm very picky/finicky/anal and these irons don't bother me one bit.  Love the old PINGS from back in the day (Eye2, Zing, ISI), but could I play them today?  No way, hard to look at with that offset, or the look of offset.  So as a low to mid handicap player, my theory is to play the most forgiving iron that I can stand looking at.  Do I love the look of minimal offset, thin toplines and smaller heads... absolutely!  But why would I punish myself, I'm not on TV nor will I ever be. 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

[mention=113024]Shrek74[/mention]
I love the black and gold theme!! They look so sweet! Awesome build! Can’t wait to hear how they feel once you get them out on the course. Happy Golfing!

I’ve got about 15 rounds on them. When I hit them well, they’re so buttery. When I don’t, not the best feeling. But those bad ones are my poor swing that I’m working on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we have a fair amount of people who have experience with the 101's, and I could use some help with them.

I am looking into getting the 101's but wanted to know how you decided shaft length, type, lie angles, etc... essentially all the info a fitting would give you. Takomo obviously cant be fit pre-purchase as a DTC brand, which is a bit of a bummer. The other obstacle is that club fittings, from what I hear, are more suited to those with a specific brand/club type in mind (Taylormade Stealth irons, for example) - this is relevant because I hear that manufacturers make the same club (ie a 7 iron) with different lie angles from brand to brand which could in turn impact the transferability of fitting results from one brand to another.... Anyone have any advice on how to get fit/decide on what specs to select when ordering from Takomo?

Thanks!!

D : Cobra LTDx Max

FW : Stealth 3 Fairway + Big Bertha #7 Hybrid (lol, I know)

Irons : Too Old (Cobra AMP Cell 4-GW)

Wedges : Need Some Recs! Cobra AMP Cell GW Wilson Harmonized 56

Putter : Huntington Beach Soft 11

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Read my 2023 Titleist White Box Review!

11 hours ago, MH15 said:

Looks like we have a fair amount of people who have experience with the 101's, and I could use some help with them.

I am looking into getting the 101's but wanted to know how you decided shaft length, type, lie angles, etc... essentially all the info a fitting would give you. Takomo obviously cant be fit pre-purchase as a DTC brand, which is a bit of a bummer. The other obstacle is that club fittings, from what I hear, are more suited to those with a specific brand/club type in mind (Taylormade Stealth irons, for example) - this is relevant because I hear that manufacturers make the same club (ie a 7 iron) with different lie angles from brand to brand which could in turn impact the transferability of fitting results from one brand to another.... Anyone have any advice on how to get fit/decide on what specs to select when ordering from Takomo?

Thanks!!

@MH15

Takomo may have started this recently, but when you are on the 101's on their website under the "Add to Cart" you can click "customize your set". This allows you to have more shaft options (KBS C-Taper), customize club length, and even customize lie angle. (Sheesh I sound like I work for Takomo, lol) If you already have a set that you have specs on I would start there. Then try to match up the customization as much as possible to get what you are looking for out of the irons. They also have the specs for the lie, length, and offset on the main 101's page. Hope this helps!

Aloha,

Driver Cobra LTDx

5W Cobra Radspeed

Takomo 4Ui

Takomo 101 Irons 4-PW

Ball Vice Pro

Updated Review/Feedback on the Takomo 4Ui

I finally had more time to fool around with the Takomo 4Ui this past weekend. I think I finally figured the thing out. I used it off the tee on some tighter holes that had water hazards and another hole that was a dog leg left. On the shots that I hit it off the toe, it was definitely noticeable. On those toe-y shots I lost about 20 yards. Expected. On the shots where I started catching the middle, the ball flew off the face and had a really nice, high launch that I was not used to. (I am typically not a good iron striker) I was able to poke a couple of tee shots out there 240 yards. I was thoroughly surprised, but also so excited about it!! There was one hole that I needed to keep it short of the water and felt very confident pulling out the Takomo 4Ui. The most surprising part for me is that it launches higher that my regular 4i but goes about 20-30 yards further. Next is to try it into some greens on some Par5s. Hopefully more good updates to come soon.

Aloha,

Driver Cobra LTDx

5W Cobra Radspeed

Takomo 4Ui

Takomo 101 Irons 4-PW

Ball Vice Pro

15 hours ago, MH15 said:

Thanks!!

You basically have 2 options for Takomo at this point - buy from the stock options listed on the main page (Tour, Tour Lite, standard LLL) or look at the customization options for a few more shafts as well as LLL.

I went the heads only route with my 101's even though it did bring up the price when it was all said and done. But I was pretty set on not only having my DG120's, but also doing a full custom set with ferrules and grips. $120/club was my total once all the parts were purchased and they were assembled by a club builder.

If you have had a recent fitting for irons or have a set of irons you play now that fit your swing and game, then that's where you'd want to start evaluating the options given by Takomo. Do you want light, midweight, or heavy shafts? Do they need to be tip stiff or more active? Do you want graphite or steel? Etc, etc. Get the list from Takomo and read up on the KBS site about each shaft and see if one seems to match what you're looking for in terms of weight, flex, tip stiffness, launch/spin characteristics, etc and make the best choice you can. You might also try to reach out to them directly via phone first (email if you can't get anyone) and ask some questions about the shaft options along with sharing details about your game and swing. They might be able to help lead you in the right direction. Sub70 is great at that, but I don't have any experience with Takomo around that type of conversation.

On 9/29/2023 at 8:55 AM, Jcogan said:

Have been looking at these lately and wanting to see if anyone has played the 301 combo set and see what their thoughts are on them?

I game a set of the 301CB's with the KBS Tour 120s, haven't played a 301MB, but after discussing with a member here who uses the MB's, their doesn't appear to be much difference.

The CB are really nice to play with, very easy to hit, and very forgiving for a "blade". Nice design,on the heavier side, little bit of glare but it's so situational. Pre ground leading edge which is really nice feature to have.

We just finished a forum review on Takomo in July or August I believe. You should check that out!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

On 8/1/2023 at 10:36 AM, Shrek74 said:
2 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

I game a set of the 301CB's with the KBS Tour 120s, haven't played a 301MB, but after discussing with a member here who uses the MB's, their doesn't appear to be much difference.

The CB are really nice to play with, very easy to hit, and very forgiving for a "blade". Nice design,on the heavier side, little bit of glare but it's so situational. Pre ground leading edge which is really nice feature to have.

We just finished a forum review on Takomo in July or August I believe. You should check that out!

I appreciate the feedback, where is your review on the Takomos is it on here?

Current Bag:

Driver- Titleist TSI3

Hybrids- Titleist 915 3, Ping G410 4, Ping 4 Crossover

Irons- Ping G410 6-UW

Wedges- Vokey SM8

Putter- Scotty FastBack or Spider 

I like they have the option to buy the head only 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

2 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

I like they have the option to buy the head only 

That's what I did.

Takomo101.jpg.8b98ba984bba056eb21f915b609b66e8.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jcogan said:

Official MGS Forum Reviews for multiple club types.

29 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

That's what I did.

Takomo101.jpg.8b98ba984bba056eb21f915b609b66e8.jpg

I would do the same .. might look into doing this

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

34 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

I would do the same .. might look into doing this

When it was all said and done, came out to be about $120/club. Would have been cheaper if I had the equipment to assemble it all myself, as that was around $200 itself.

8 hours ago, ParNone said:

@MH15

Takomo may have started this recently, but when you are on the 101's on their website under the "Add to Cart" you can click "customize your set". This allows you to have more shaft options (KBS C-Taper), customize club length, and even customize lie angle. (Sheesh I sound like I work for Takomo, lol) If you already have a set that you have specs on I would start there. Then try to match up the customization as much as possible to get what you are looking for out of the irons. They also have the specs for the lie, length, and offset on the main 101's page. Hope this helps!

Thanks! Definitely helpful. I have definitely explored their website quite a bit, haha. I actually reached out to ask about what they'd recommend in terms of getting fit - they answered with some pretty basic questions regarding physical characteristics, like height and wrist to floor measurement. They also asked about 7i carry distance and swing tempo. I also thought it was nice they asked a preferred ball flight too - low/mid/high. I'll be responding. I'll keep you all updated!

cc: @Shrek74 I appreciate your response as well! I have to do some deep diving into the shafts and such. Might honestly take a list with me to a PGA superstore and ask to hit a few of the same club with the different shafts to see if I can differentiate - unless there is any better way to do it!

Edited by MH15

9 minutes ago, MH15 said:

cc: @Shrek74 I appreciate your response as well! I have to do some deep diving into the shafts and such. Might honestly take a list with me to a PGA superstore and ask to hit a few of the same club with the different shafts to see if I can differentiate - unless there is any better way to do it!

That's probably the best way to do it if you have the opportunity. Stick with a hollow-body iron like a P790, Pro 225, T200, ZX5, etc so the experience will be similar with the 101's. Then as you say, have them run you through the shaft options you're considering that Takomo offers and see how they feel. But also make good notes about how they perform. You likely will see different flights, peak heights, etc that you will want to make notes about for each shaft. The flights and feel of the KBS Tour will not be the same as the KBS Max for example, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Shrek74 said:

That's probably the best way to do it if you have the opportunity. Stick with a hollow-body iron like a P790, Pro 225, T200, ZX5, etc so the experience will be similar with the 101's. Then as you say, have them run you through the shaft options you're considering that Takomo offers and see how they feel. But also make good notes about how they perform. You likely will see different flights, peak heights, etc that you will want to make notes about for each shaft. The flights and feel of the KBS Tour will not be the same as the KBS Max for example, that's for sure.

That's great advice - thanks again! I really appreciate it.