Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tournament Golf

JBones

Who do you want to play with when you are in a tournament (handicap wise)? I tend to "lie" about my handicap (only when used for pairings) when signing up for a tournament, because I feel more comfortable playing with guys that are in the 7-12 range. I tend to relax more around guys like that, that I know are going to hit bad shots every once in a while, so it takes the pressure off of me trying to be "perfect".

I'm playing in my first tourney of the year this weekend (Tri-State Amateur - open to players in IN, IL, and KY) and they let you request pairings for the first round. My cousin and I requested to play with each other; it just hit me, before tee times came out yesterday, that because he is a +3 handicap, we were probably going to get stuck with good golfers. They put a former city champion in our group (he has finished in the top 10 for 14 consecutive years) and his 14 year old son, who is under a 10 handicap. I know I'm going to be relaxed, because I'm playing with my cousin, but underneath I'm going to be trying too hard. I may have to play with a hangover tomorrow, LOL.

Who do you like to play with, better, worse, or the same as you?

I prefer to play with better players in general and especially in tournaments. For me this does a couple things. Takes the pressure off if I don't play as well as my partners because I'm not supposed to, they're better right? And it also motivates me and gives me a goal to strive for, to try to beat the best player in the group. This has the added advantage that if I play well it can rattle the better players a bit as they realize they are getting beaten by a higher handicap and start to press a bit.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I prefer to play with better players in general and especially in tournaments. For me this does a couple things. Takes the pressure off if I don't play as well as my partners because I'm not supposed to, they're better right? And it also motivates me and gives me a goal to strive for, to try to beat the best player in the group. This has the added advantage that if I play well it can rattle the better players a bit as they realize they are getting beaten by a higher handicap and start to press a bit.

I feel the same way. Plus it becomes a learning experience if the person you are playing with is REALLY GOOD. I have had a couple of those and just watching him, how he shaped different shots and navigated around the golf course, helped me play better both during that round and in the long run.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

As long as they're not too fast or too slow, I'm good with anyone. But put a gun to my head and make me answer: I say someone who is equal to me (with 2-5 strokes of index). Just goes smoother. I LOVE to play against the bomber though. They usually out drive me by 30 yards every hole. Then I beat them in the green. So much fun!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

The thing that I want, more than anything else, is to play with someone who I really want to beat. Not that I don't want to beat everyone, but playing against my father-in-law definitely takes my focus to another level.

To answer the question, though, I'd probably rather play with a better player.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I always prefer playing with better players particularly better players who hit the ball similar distances to me - I rarely pay attention to total score of my playing competitors but know what they're doing on a particular hole and shot so that I can compliment or comiserate with them. It doesn't bother me or my game to be paired with golfers who don't play as well as I do so long as they are experienced enough to not get in the way.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't care what their handicap is as long as they play fast. I hate slow play and prefer to play fast. As long as I can do that and not have a 4.5 hr or more round, I tend to not concern myself too much with what they're doing.

Did find out a scramble I was gonna play in next week ended up being a women's scramble. I wasn't planning that though.... Lol.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Don't mind about their HCP as long as they are not douchebags and play fast. I hate 5+ hour rounds.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

In all of the tournaments I have been in I have been the best player in my group. This is because I have been so up and down in my scoring it has kept my handicap high. In the tournaments, I have always played well, that and a higher handicap was a great combination. Last year, I finished no worse than third. This year, I only played one tournament, it is not fun with just 9 holes and the back up from that. We had a tournament yesterday but I did not play.

I thought I had gotten over my up and down scoring I had 10 rounds in a row that were between 70 and 75. I went out yesterday and played the last 4 holes at 2 under par to shoot an 89. I went 19 over par on 13 holes. Hope I can rebound today. It was so frustrating. I could truely sympathize with the pros who were sticking it up at Olymipic. Great drive, great approach, sorry putting. Sorry drive, punch out, great approach, good putting. Great putting, but for a double bogey. I could not put three good shots together until the 15th hole.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I tend to like to play with good golfers, my handicap or better. I think that if they are better then me it helps elevate my focus, you see good shots and swings it gives you a good mental picture for your shot and swing.

I can't watch some players that have bad swings, it gives me a bad mental picture. I also can't watch some players that have a very fast swing in transition because I know I will start swinging too fast and too hard after awhile.

In the end I would prefer to play with good players that have an acceptable peace of play and a tempo that is like my own, but you can always adjust and learn to deal with the situation when it is not optimal/

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

While I do appreciate the play fast comments what can you do? In tournaments it's not just your group but also the groups around you that influence pace of play - like jmiller I've learned to adjust to it - It's a very dangerous thing to let pace of play frustrate you - the tendancy when play gets slow is to rush (your own shot that is.) Not good!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I got into a situation yesterday where we had a little 9 hole members event, I was paired with two good golfers then a 3rd that well not so much a good golfer just silly long. He had a lot of Driver swings that were 350 only two or 3 of them stayed in play for the entire nine hole round. So 6 out of 9 holes he spent 5minutes search for his ball before he could hit and we were helping him in the search.

I was able to deal with that okay I guess, I had my own issues in my game swirling through my head to pay much attention to what he was doing. I ended up posting a score that would have been my most possible highest score reported for the 9 holes we played here lately, didn't play well. I have always long wondered if your playing partners tempo and mistakes and result in you playing poorly if you start thinking about what they are doing rather then your own game and playing your own strategy.

We saw that it is easier to drag a group lower with you when playing well, but can you also drag a group to shot higher scores when you are not playing good?

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Oh I definitely think it works both ways jmiller, I see it all the time, especially in match play but also in medal play. I think its tough to play well with guys that are stinking it up, I just have to get away from it and really try to get into my own little zone. That is part of why I prefer to walk, it not only lets me manage the pace of play a little better, it also lets me put some distance between my playing partners and I. Nothing worse than being trapped in a cart with someone that is taking you on a scenic tour of every hole!

I absolutely hate looking for golf balls, especially my own, but I'm not a fan of looking for someone else's either! I know it is part of the game and it is going to happen, and I will do my fair share and help in a search. What I hate is when I know a ball is gone, either OB or very unlikely to be found, and the player insists on a overly thorough search. I have a hard time taking part in that and will usually just make a cursory pass and go on about my business. Also, if I'm walking and I'm all the way across the fairway or nowhere near where you're looking, don't hold your breath waiting for me to assist. If you want my help, grab your cart and come get me!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Archived