Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

Newton Driver Golf Shaft Review (2024)

GolfSpy_APH

14 minutes ago, Javs said:

They are amazing with the customer service! I am still really liking this shaft. I still have it in the 8 degree Callaway Paradym TD. I haven’t tried it in the Callaway AI Smoke TD yet, but I might soon. I also ordered another shaft to put in my PXG Black Ops Tour-1. 

I’m not a PXG driver fan, every one I’ve purchased has gone to my kids. (3)! I’m loving my paradym with this shaft. I would love to try it in the TSR4. I may pull the trigger…. Yeah, $600 but you only live once and you can’t take it with you.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver- Steadfast S Jupiter 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-Steadfast S 45” shaft 

Hybrids: PXG 0317 17*, 19* Steadfast S Jupiter shafts, PXG 211 22*-Project X Even Flow Riptide X shafts

Irons: New Level 6-PW 902PD 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50*, 52*, 56* (TW Grind)

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

30 minutes ago, Erin B said:

I’m not a PXG driver fan, every one I’ve purchased has gone to my kids. (3)! I’m loving my paradym with this shaft. I would love to try it in the TSR4. I may pull the trigger…. Yeah, $600 but you only live once and you can’t take it with you.

Equipment is funny as every golfer’s perspective is different. I have loved PXG. Especially, with the Hero’s Program and their quality fitting process. They also keep your specs in the computer. So, when you can call and they can look up your specs and help you. That said, after testing the Paradym irons last year I have those irons and the Callaway Paradym TD Driver. Liked it so much I purchased the AI Smoke TD this year. I just lowered it to 8 degrees and put in the Newton 5 dot. I will test that combo tomorrow. 

Play like a champion today!

8 minutes ago, Javs said:

Equipment is funny as every golfer’s perspective is different. I have loved PXG. Especially, with the Hero’s Program and their quality fitting process. They also keep your specs in the computer. So, when you can call and they can look up your specs and help you. That said, after testing the Paradym irons last year I have those irons and the Callaway Paradym TD Driver. Liked it so much I purchased the AI Smoke TD this year. I just lowered it to 8 degrees and put in the Newton 5 dot. I will test that combo tomorrow. 

Not dawging PXG, love their irons and wedges, just can’t get comfortable with their woods and drivers. Callaway, Ping, and Cobra have given me solid results. The only reason I’m not playing PXG irons right now is because I love trying new things. New Level irons are fire and I’m loving the way they play. If PXG were to hook me up with some 317s for the amount I paid for the New Levels maybe I’d still be in PXGs. I have a hero account with them and will always consider them, especially their wedges!

Edited by Erin B

Hybrids: PXG 0317 17*, 19* Steadfast S Jupiter shafts, PXG 211 22*-Project X Even Flow Riptide X shafts

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

3 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Not dawging PXG, love their irons and wedges, just can’t get comfortable with their woods and drivers. Callaway, Ping, and Cobra have given me solid results. The only reason I’m not playing PXG irons right now is because I love trying new things. New Level irons are fire and I’m loving the way they play. If PXG were to hook me up with some 317s for the amount I paid for the New Levels maybe I’d still be in PXGs. I have a hero account with them and will always consider them, especially their wedges!

I feel the same way with Ping and Titleist. I like both their irons, but hate the drivers and 3 wood. I love the Callaway TD drivers and the PXG Black Ops 3 wood. If I didn’t have the Paradym irons still in the bag from the test then I would still have the PXG Gen 5 P’s in the bag. Heck I might just put them back in. It will make feel like I received new clubs.

7 minutes ago, Javs said:

I feel the same way with Ping and Titleist. I like both their irons, but hate the drivers and 3 wood. I love the Callaway TD drivers and the PXG Black Ops 3 wood. If I didn’t have the Paradym irons still in the bag from the test then I would still have the PXG Gen 5 P’s in the bag. Heck I might just put them back in. It will make feel like I received new clubs.

I’m tracking! Both my kids are playing my old PXG irons. And I know when I’m in a slump I can go back to them. The 0311 Gen 3Ts I feel are the best irons PXG has ever made, and I’ve tried their new ones. Just my opinion based on my feel for irons. I’m also a fan of the 317s. I like smaller head clubs with less offset. PXG and now New Lever know this. Maybe sub70 will know this soon… I do need a travel set and want a different set than I have right now.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

So out of all that have gone with the try 2 type deal have you thought about going down a dot or two to see how those perform vs going a bit stiffer?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So out of all that have gone with the try 2 type deal have you thought about going down a dot or two to see how those perform vs going a bit stiffer?

good question. 

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

The 4 dot just about stayed for me and I feel like if I had a smoother tempo it would be the one.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

The 4 dot just about stayed for me and I feel like if I had a smoother tempo it would be the one.  

I tried the 4 and the 6 dot. The 4 was not even close. But now I wonder if it was tipped and shorted if I could actually hit it.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

When I spoke and emailed Angelo based on my tempo it was recommended to go with the 5 dot cut to 45 inches. I have too quick a transition for the 4 dot.

Edited by Javs

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

For me, that would surely be a disaster. The reason that I say that is because the 4-Dot Newton shaft is borderline too soft and slightly draw-biased when I go after it, which is my normal default swing setting (I'm an aggressive swinger of the golf club -- comes from my long baseball playing career as a power-hitting catcher).  I have found that the best combination for me is a low-spin driver head, such as the Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond that it was in and the Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond head that the Newton shaft is currently installed in. This combination helps keep the spin down to reasonable levels and lowers the trajectory just a bit -- plus, it virtually eliminates the out-of-control "lefts" for me with the driver.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I got out to the range again today to finalize my thoughts on the Newton shaft. Unfortunately, as nice as it is, it just isn't enough better, if at all, than my Motore X. So I've decided to return it.

This is a terrific shaft and a great program. I'm sure I wouldn't have even tried it if not for the demo promo. And I'm equally certain that I'd keep it if I didn't already own the Motore X. Many thanks to Angelo and the people at Newton for this opportunity!

Good luck to all those still evaluating, I hope it works for you!

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54.12D & 58.08M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

I just spoke with Angelo. The Newton Motion fairway shafts will be up on their website by end-of-day tomorrow and you’ll be able to order them online.

There will be separate shafts for 3, 5 and 7 woods. If installing one in a 4-wood, you can either go with zero tip-trim or tip it 1/2”.

Edited by funkyjudge

Spoiler

Heads-up, guys!  The Newton Motion fairway shafts are up and available on their website!  I have ordered a 3-wood shaft (4-Dot) for my Paradym 3HL.

The “bug” in their ordering system has been fixed, and I was able to place an order a few hours ago.

Edited by funkyjudge
Update

Spoiler

2 hours ago, MIgregb said:

I got out to the range again today to finalize my thoughts on the Newton shaft. Unfortunately, as nice as it is, it just isn't enough better, if at all, than my Motore X. So I've decided to return it.

This is a terrific shaft and a great program. I'm sure I wouldn't have even tried it if not for the demo promo. And I'm equally certain that I'd keep it if I didn't already own the Motore X. Many thanks to Angelo and the people at Newton for this opportunity!

Good luck to all those still evaluating, I hope it works for you!

@MIgregb Were there any significate issues that stood out that helped make your decision?

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

Just now, buckpillar said:

@MIgregb Were there any significate issues that stood out that helped make your decision?

Only that it wasn't really much better than the Motore X, which is in itself is an excellent shaft that I've enjoyed since I got it. I really believe that the Newton is slightly straighter and if I was making the decision of which shaft to buy, it'd be the Newton. But I already own the $225 (new) shaft so I can't justify the added expense for such a small improvement. 

The demo program is an excellent way to test one out yourself, though. Even if they discontinue the 30-day demo period, they regularly offer15 days which in my case was ample time to test it out. 

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54.12D & 58.08M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

1 hour ago, funkyjudge said:

Heads-up, guys!  The Newton Motion fairway shafts are up and available on their website!  I have ordered a 3-wood shaft (4-Dot) for my Paradym 3HL.

However, there is a bug in the system that has been reported to their IT Department.

I got my fw shaft ordered. 

Here are the specs on the fairway wood shafts.  Angelo suggested playing the same dot as the driver.  

image.png.327d50cc1216487a281fe7f165ed1599.png

So, I put the Newton shaft into my Callaway AI smoke TD head and I dialed it down to 8 degrees. Oh my this combination worked perfect! I tied my course record of 67 at Legacy today. That was with 3 bogeys. I had 5 chances to make Eagle. I made 8 birdies. I absolutely blasted the driver all day. I was very surprised that putting the shaft in the AI Smoke actually worked even better than the Paradym TD. I was able to work it right and left plus up and down.However, it liked to come off on a medium flight tight draw. I was extremely please with the performance of Newton shaft and AI smoke at 8 degrees neutral!

I'd like to hear from any using the 2 dot or 3 dot.  I'm going to start shopping for a new shaft for a 2021 PXG 0211 driver.  The blue Evenflo Riptide CB A flex 40 gram is too whippy.  BTW I finally learned that the CB is Counter Balanced.  It used to be a type of radio in trucks.  

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno 2017 version JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5; Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7; Sand: old 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, heavy sole, Apex shaft.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃

On 4/4/2024 at 3:11 PM, Josh Parker said:

Here are the specs on the fairway wood shafts.  Angelo suggested playing the same dot as the driver.  

image.png.327d50cc1216487a281fe7f165ed1599.png

That torque just seems so high to me. Especially since I normally play a 3.5 or lower

22 minutes ago, Javs said:

That torque just seems so high to me. Especially since I normally play a 3.5 or lower

where they measured the same way?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, Javs said:

I have no idea

That's kind of the point.  As you know OEMs provide numbers and flex letters and we have no idea how  they are measured or determined so unless you know how they are measured you really can't evaluate the number.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That's kind of the point.  As you know OEMs provide numbers and flex letters and we have no idea how  they are measured or determined so unless you know how they are measured you really can't evaluate the number.  

Yes, I fully comprehend that fact. The numbers still look very high no matter how they measured. However, instead of spinning my wheels and just guessing I sent an email to Angelo. He will come back with an answer quickly.

Edited by Javs

1 hour ago, Javs said:

Those torque numbers ARE high, particularly for fairway wood shafts! I spoke with Angelo about exactly that yesterday, and he said that he would ask their “tech guys” to check into it to see if the numbers were correct.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, funkyjudge said:

Those torque numbers ARE high, particularly for fairway wood shafts! I spoke with Angelo about exactly that yesterday, and he said that he would ask their “tech guys” to check into it to see if the numbers were correct.

I agree fully and you are a shaft guy so, you would know! I also sent Angelo an email asking. Thank you for jumping in!

24 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Didn't you measure the driver shafts?  How'd they compare to the listed values?

It's good to see them list the CPM numbers.  I think, just a hunch, I hope, assume, hem and haw, and all that, that CPM numbers are measured the same by all people.  But, who knows?  If you clamp 1/4 inch shorter or longer on the butt end, ????

Drv: PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex; and 2004 Callaway 454 Ti 10 deg on RCH 65 regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno 2017 version JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5; Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7; Sand: old 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, heavy sole, Apex shaft.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃