Interesting article on attaining a hole in one

Javs

I have had so many close calls, it's got to be getting close to my time!  Ha

Hit the cup a couple times and bounced out.  Left it inches away and the worst one was cutting new cups one morning and played the par 3 before the greens had been cut.  Dew on the ground and watched the ball land 3ft in front of the cup and roll the entire 360 around the cup.  Dew track made it feel worse seeing the path. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

3 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Hit the cup a couple times and bounced out.  Left it inches away and the worst one was cutting new cups one morning and played the par 3 before the greens had been cut.  Dew on the ground and watched the ball land 3ft in front of the cup and roll the entire 360 around the cup.  Dew track made it feel worse seeing the path. 

There is so much luck involved. I feel your pain. In the last year I had several just so close! After the next one, I am going to go buy a lottery ticket the same day!

Play like a champion today!

I was close last year. Pin was on the lower shelf of a green and I hit my tee shot perfectly. Hit the middle of the hill and bounced up to just below the top shelf so it came down. I have no idea how I created the backspin I did, but that thing zipped back hit the pin and bounced three feet away. I was very understanding that it may have been the closest I will ever get.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

2 hours ago, Javs said:

"On the contrary, if you’re a scratch golfer who shoots in the 70s, the average hole-in-one comes about every seven years; or after 802 rounds. To break that down, you’d have to average about 106 rounds each year — or about 2 rounds every week for the next 7.5 years — to keep with that pace. Better get to practicing!"

... Why did I bother to even read this article? I play about twice this many rounds a year so I should have a HIO every 3.75 years. I have been playing for 40 years and shoot in the 60's about 20 times a year and under par far too many times to count. So that theoretically gives me 10.66 HOI's. Sweet!

... In the non theoretical real world I would be happy with half that so 5.33 HIO's. Or even a quarter of that with 2.66. Or seriously I would be happy with JUST ONE #$%**&&^%E#W HIO but of course:

8fdh4w.jpg.b4c440bbe9126bc7d889440cde319325.jpg

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I'm with you, Josh!  I have hit the flagstick at least twice (once on a par 4 hole, no less), and left one 4" from the cup two years ago, plus I lost track long ago how many times I have hit my tee shots within 2 feet of the cup. And in July 2022 at Royal Troon, my entire foursome and our caddies thought that I had made an ace on the 182-yard 5th hole, only to discover that the ball had rolled past the hole and was hiding a few feet behind the flagstick (at least, I made the birdie).

I think that the most troubling one for me was the time that I had my tee shot deflect off the flagstick on the slightly downhill, over water 263-yard par 4 17th hole at the golf course behind the development where I live. I hit a 3-wood and after hitting the pin, it deflected less than 10 feet (probably closer to 6 or 7'). At least I made the eagle putt.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

23 minutes ago, chisag said:

"On the contrary, if you’re a scratch golfer who shoots in the 70s, the average hole-in-one comes about every seven years; or after 802 rounds. To break that down, you’d have to average about 106 rounds each year — or about 2 rounds every week for the next 7.5 years — to keep with that pace. Better get to practicing!"

... Why did I bother to even read this article? I play about twice this many rounds a year so I should have a HIO every 3.75 years. I have been playing for 40 years and shoot in the 60's about 20 times a year and under par far too many times to count. So that theoretically gives me 10.66 HOI's. Sweet!

... In the non theoretical real world I would be happy with half that so 5.33 HIO's. Or even a quarter of that with 2.66. Or seriously I would be happy with JUST ONE #$%**&&^%E#W HIO but of course:

Well, I estimate that I have played close to 4,000 rounds of golf (that's probably an underestimation, since there were some years where I played 3 and 4 times a week in the 39+ years that I have been playing golf), and I played to between a 5 and 8 handicap throughout most of my 40s and early 50s. And, like you, I still have no hole in one!

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Well, I estimate that I have played close to 4,000 rounds of golf (that's probably an underestimation, since there were some years where I played 3 and 4 times a week in the 39+ years that I have been playing golf), and I played to between a 5 and 8 handicap throughout most of my 40s and early 50s. And, like you, I still have no hole in one!

... We are a sad duo. I have slam dunked twice with the golf ball bouncing out off the hole and I had to repair the front of the hole both times. Then after spinning a wedge off the green and into the water, I re-teed and used a 9 iron to reduce the spin and it one hopped into the hole ... for a par. Evidently the golf gods think I am a cat and they are using a laser pointer when I tee it up an a par 3. 

41 minutes ago, chisag said:

Well I am a search and play 140 rounds a year now. Like you I usually shoot multiple rounds in the 60’s and low 70’s each year. I do have 5 holes in one. Two were off less than stellar shots that were lucky. Well heck they are all lucky! My last one as stated earlier was 5 years ago. My birthday is this week so, statistically I am due!!!!! Ha ha

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... We are a sad duo. I have slam dunked twice with the golf ball bouncing out off the hole and I had to repair the front of the hole both times. Then after spinning a wedge off the green and into the water, I re-teed and used a 9 iron to reduce the spin and it one hopped into the hole ... for a par. Evidently the golf gods think I am a cat and they are using a laser pointer when I tee it up an a par 3. 

I am in a similar boat.  I have played less but a lot of years in and come really close.  A number of approaches to less than 6 inches or hit the flag stick but no hole in one’s.   I have hit a few 2nd shots from the fairway on par 3s for eagles over the years though.  Probably around 10-12 of those.

Golf can be a cruel game that way! 😁

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

1 hour ago, Javs said:

Well I am a search and play 140 rounds a year now. Like you I usually shoot multiple rounds in the 60’s and low 70’s each year. I do have 5 holes in one. Two were off less than stellar shots that were lucky. Well heck they are all lucky! My last one as stated earlier was 5 years ago. My birthday is this week so, statistically I am due!!!!! Ha ha

Is your birthday Feb 13?

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

I am in a similar boat.  I have played less but a lot of years in and come really close.  A number of approaches to less than 6 inches or hit the flag stick but no hole in one’s.   I have hit a few 2nd shots from the fairway on par 3s for eagles over the years though.  Probably around 10-12 of those.

Golf can be a cruel game that way! 😁

I’m sure you are talking about par 4s, not par 3s, where you holed-out for eagles.  I have done that several times, and have also had numerous hole-out eagles from the fairways on par 5s …. plus my one albatross from 250+ yards that I have discussed on this forum. This makes it even more puzzling to me that I have never had a hole in one.

Spoiler

I believe all hole-in-ones are lucky. I’ve made some perfect shots that have been so close and seen many more. I even had the ball hit the flag and bounce into the hazard. I saw an absolutely terrible shot go in the hole. Well, that’s subjective because obviously he hit it the right direction and close to the right speed. But he skulled it 155 yards into the hole. 

Here’s a pic of one that landed a few feet passed the hole and spun back rolling just by the hole from 11/26/23. No one could have hit this shot anymore perfectly and it still didn’t go in. You can see the pitch mark and my back was towards the tee box. 
IMG_4982.jpeg.a260f03fc1f274d3bdc98e47738a9b09.jpeg

I had several last year and one this week that rolled passed the hole within inches. 

My lone ace was on a 145 yard hole into a 25-30 mph wind to an island green with the pin at the back. I pitched a waist high 5 iron and landed on the green to ran it back to the hole. We couldn’t see the bottom of the flag, and I assumed it was close. When I drove around and didn’t see it on the green, I didn’t run and checked the hole. I got another ball and a wedge and looked in the water hazard behind the green. I asked another guy to check the hole as he walked by on his way to the drop zone. No one had hit the green. He looked and said, “Yep It’s in there.” There wasn’t a huge celebration. I was too stunned. Actually, the quote is not quite true. He said something besides “Yep”. Don’t want to get a strike. He said he could see my mark on the ball. 

Interestingly, that is a pin location in the normal rotation and was there on Wednesday. The wind wasn’t as severe and it wasn’t a 5 iron and instead of landing it on the front and running all the was across the green I hit a really great shot that landed just below the crest of the green and ran over towards the hole. Speed looked great. I thought would be in or near the hole. It was not on the green. I did check the hole first, but sadly I had to retrieve it from the lake before chipping it for a tap in bogey.

While I didn’t see the hole-in-one, it probably hit the stick and that’s the only think that stopped it. While the pin location was drastically different, the picture and the ace were the same green. If I had to choose the picture was the “better” shot. Obviously the ace was the luckier shot. 

Edited by RoverRick

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: iCrossover 4 on Graphite Design AD DI 7S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

6 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Is your birthday Feb 13?

The 15th, you sending me a gift? Ha ha

Edited by Javs

6 hours ago, RoverRick said:

I believe all hole-in-ones are lucky. I’ve made some perfect shots that have been so close and seen many more. I even had the ball hit the flag and bounce into the hazard. I saw an absolutely terrible shot go in the hole. Well, that’s subjective because obviously he hit it the right direction and close to the right speed. But he skulled it 155 yards into the hole. 

Here’s a pic of one that landed a few feet passed the hole and spun back rolling just by the hole from 11/26/23. No one could have hit this shot anymore perfectly and it still didn’t go in. You can see the pitch mark and my back was towards the tee box. 
IMG_4982.jpeg.a260f03fc1f274d3bdc98e47738a9b09.jpeg

I had several last year and one this week that rolled passed the hole within inches. 

My lone ace was on a 145 yard hole into a 25-30 mph wind to an island green with the pin at the back. I pitched a waist high 5 iron and landed on the green to ran it back to the hole. We couldn’t see the bottom of the flag, and I assumed it was close. When I drove around and didn’t see it on the green, I didn’t run and checked the hole. I got another ball and a wedge and looked in the water hazard behind the green. I asked another guy to check the hole as he walked by on his way to the drop zone. No one had hit the green. He looked and said, “Yep It’s in there.” There wasn’t a huge celebration. I was too stunned. Actually, the quote is not quite true. He said something besides “Yep”. Don’t want to get a strike. He said he could see my mark on the ball. 

Interestingly, that is a pin location in the normal rotation and was there on Wednesday. The wind wasn’t as severe and it wasn’t a 5 iron and instead of landing it on the front and running all the was across the green I hit a really great shot that landed just below the crest of the green and ran over towards the hole. Speed looked great. I thought would be in or near the hole. It was not on the green. I did check the hole first, but sadly I had to retrieve it from the lake before chipping it for a tap in bogey.

While I didn’t see the hole-in-one, it probably hit the stick and that’s the only think that stopped it. While the pin location was drastically different, the picture and the ace were the same green. If I had to choose the picture was the “better” shot. Obviously the ace was the luckier shot. 

They are all luck! However, I am more happy with my albatross on the par 5 than the holes in one!

8 minutes ago, Javs said:

They are all luck! However, I am more happy with my albatross on the par 5 than the holes in one!

... Luck indeed so right there with you. I have two albatross and didn't see either 3 wood go in. Heard the group in front of us let out a huge cheer the first time as they were up on the cart path in the Hendersonville NC mountains with the first one. Greg was in the fairway giving the go ahead when they cleared the green. Second one was down a tier and we couldn't see the back of the green. After losing over the green for several minutes Greg said "why don't you look in the hole" and there it was. I almost had a 3rd this past year here in Phoenix and had a 5 iron hit the pin and then sit right there in front of the cup. 

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Luck indeed so right there with you. I have two albatross and didn't see either 3 wood go in. Heard the group in front of us let out a huge cheer the first time as they were up on the cart path in the Hendersonville NC mountains with the first one. Greg was in the fairway giving the go ahead when they cleared the green. Second one was down a tier and we couldn't see the back of the green. After losing over the green for several minutes Greg said "why don't you look in the hole" and there it was. I almost had a 3rd this past year here in Phoenix and had a 5 iron hit the pin and then sit right there in front of the cup. 

Very nice! I only have the one. We saw it go in. Been close a few other times. But close doesn’t count!! Seeking another this year!

2 hours ago, chisag said:

I didn't see my albatross go in the hole, and I actually thought that I might have hit the ball in a greenside bunker on the front side of the green. However, the guys in the group in front of us, plus two guys in my foursome saw it go in. My two golfing buddies started yelling (they had already hit and were back in their cart headed toward the green), and the group on the tee in front of us were hollering.

Spoiler

On 2/10/2024 at 9:26 AM, Javs said:

Took me 17yrs to get my first then another 9 to get my second. Still waiting for #3

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]