Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New Iron dilemma

nick gauts

Tale as old as time.  Do I get new clubs?  I have never had a new set of golf clubs I've grown up using whatever was available (spalding )  and in last 6 years or so I've started investing in golf going from knockoffs  to a used set of callaway diablo and thinking they'd be my end all be all. Then I realized everything was having late draws so I found out I needed a stiff shaft. So I found some used taylormade burners . Lovely , lowered my score by 10 strokes if not more.  But in the last year I learned how to work the ball and I have been noticing "Jumpers"  where I get an extra 20 yards sometimes.  I shoot mid to low 90s on any course  and I've tried a few players irons and have felt more consistency at the local golf store . Can't hit something like a p790 but can hit a more of a blade more consistent  (wilson cb or p7mb , ping blueprint)

Am I crazy and delusional thinking a "harder" club to hit will help my game ?  

I can 3 putt from anywhere 

2 hours ago, nick gauts said:

Tale as old as time.  Do I get new clubs?  I have never had a new set of golf clubs I've grown up using whatever was available (spalding )  and in last 6 years or so I've started investing in golf going from knockoffs  to a used set of callaway diablo and thinking they'd be my end all be all. Then I realized everything was having late draws so I found out I needed a stiff shaft. So I found some used taylormade burners . Lovely , lowered my score by 10 strokes if not more.  But in the last year I learned how to work the ball and I have been noticing "Jumpers"  where I get an extra 20 yards sometimes.  I shoot mid to low 90s on any course  and I've tried a few players irons and have felt more consistency at the local golf store . Can't hit something like a p790 but can hit a more of a blade more consistent  (wilson cb or p7mb , ping blueprint)

That's a thought and it's a coin flip whether it would work. Does for down not do much for others. 

In the end play what's best for you!

Best thing I think you could do is find a demo day that is coming up soon and go and demo/hit a bunch of clubs and shafts. See what you like visually, what feels best and go for it!

Also worth doing a check on a few DTC companies like Sub 70, Takomo, Haywood, New Level, Toura and Maltby.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I think it's reasonable if you are going to put in the work, having a club you are working your way into is beneficial. Also "usually" less forgiving clubs will provide more feedback on where you hit the ball on the face, this in turn should help you interpret your mis hits better and help you improve. But also this game is supposed to be fun 🙂, I'm sure at a certain point all of this has diminishing returns. 

What's in my ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png Pioneer Bag:

Driver: ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png G430 Max 10k 9* (fujikra.png.8382fa5c997744d5f1292f9e8f7a8183.png Speeder NX 50s)

3 & 7 Woods: ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png G430 Max (fujikra.png.8382fa5c997744d5f1292f9e8f7a8183.png Speeder NX 60s/70s)

3 & 4 Hybrids: ping-Ti.png.6cd5b395c0cff9084e0a161b65c03b28.png G430 (KBS Tour Prototype Hybrid 75r) 

5 - PW Irons: mizuno-png-file-mizuno-logo-svg-1280-Ti.png.126a6588b3a078798a2ef7665da37175.png Pro 243 (KBS $ Taper 120s)

Wedges: cleveland-Ti.png.75bbccb15db6b4f1af15544ff6d82299.png RTX-6 50*/54* (mid) CBX&RTX Full-Face2 58*

Putter: lablogo_small_stacked.png.6384fc480e5c02d0a2a3ce2194f2fc8a.png DF 2.1 TPT shaft

Ball: Titleist ProV1

arccos.png.b5139ec0e8590e6219c1043121e31b84.png

Truthfully buying new clubs makes the game more exciting and fun. The anticipation to get out on the course with a new set of irons is arguably worth the money right there. 

Not to mention it will probably lower your score not only due to advancement in technology but in my experience you just want to play and hit them as much as possible so you end up practicing and playing more. 

Finally a warning: I made the switch to PXG  0311 T from Callaway Razr game improvement and the first couple rounds were rough. My first round was significantly worse than expected but I have never had more fun shooting 15  above my handicap. 

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

3 hours ago, nick gauts said:

Kinda depends. You may shoot in the 90s and be a good ball striker with irons. I still wouldn't personally recommend something like true blades unless you are an elite ball striker. Even most pros dont use true blades anymore. You may hit them well a while or even consistently pretty well but the lack of forgiveness will cost you unless you are hitting the middle literally every single time. That feel like you are hitting them well could just be a matter of forged irons vs game improvement. The forged are going to feel better when you strike them moderately well vs middling a hollow body design. You can find good forged irons that are still forgiving with a slim players profile. Mizuno 223, srixon zx7, etc. You could even try the takomo 201s if you want to try that style without dropping 1k+ on a new set. 

1. QI10 9* degree
  2. TSR 2+ 3 wood
  3. Stealth+ hybrid
  4. Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW
  5. Vokey SM8 wedges 50*, 54*, 59*
  6. Spider FCG

8 hours ago, nick gauts said:

Nick the answer to your question really depends on a variety of factors that only you can answer. Do you want new clubs? Sounds like you do, can be a million reasons why, if so go for it. Is it worth the money? Will they improve your game? That depends on what you purchase and what you want out of them. I can tell you this, many will say you should go get fit, and that's not wrong. Here's what I did, my situation many years ago seems similar to yours, lots of hand-me-down clubs, I was getting better at golf, and thought the clubs were holding me back. What I wanted was a new set of clubs, for no other reason than they wouldn't have been hit by anyone else. So I bought a new forged iron set, I loved them! My scores improved minimally but I loved the clubs. Those new clubs fueled the fire for my passion for all things golf. So take it from a golf (game and equipment) junkie. You want new clubs, go get them. You want to get a professional opinion, go see your local fitter. Neither situation will likely improve your scores all that much, only consistent practice and hard work will do that.

To your question of whether or not you are crazy or delusional, who knows? Plus I think that is irrelevant anyway, ha! Golf is and should be fun, being a little crazy only helps keep it fun anyway.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

9 hours ago, nick gauts said:

You’re not crazy at all. As your skill set improves and you begin to hit the center of the face more consistently, you will require a set of irons that won’t air mail greens. If the shaft you use is the correct one, now it’s a matter finding a blade or cavity back that will feel the best to you not only ball contact, but turf interaction as well. 

I have some CB irons (TM Tour Preferred CB, circa 2011) and can work the ball when needed.  I agree with finding a demo day or local shop that has some options you might be able to hit.  Have had these for years and still love them.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I can say that I hit irons that are smaller in profile than my current irons better. Why? I have no idea. My best guess is that a smaller head means you instinctively know you can not miss much or you are going to get punished more. But I am no psychologist and that may be way off the mark on my assessment as to why. I'll second what @GolfSpy_APH said about going to demo days. I will also say if you have a golf store where there are used clubs of the type you want to start using, try going and hitting them. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

44 minutes ago, Jbugai said:

You’re not crazy at all. As your skill set improves and you begin to hit the center of the face more consistently, you will require a set of irons that won’t air mail greens. If the shaft you use is the correct one, now it’s a matter finding a blade or cavity back that will feel the best to you not only ball contact, but turf interaction as well. 

The fitting is where I'm curious on turf interaction.  I've had a few misses that feel like I hit the toe to turf first .  Slowly learning about shafts, lie angles etc right now

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

That's a thought and it's a coin flip whether it would work. Does for down not do much for others. 

In the end play what's best for you!

Best thing I think you could do is find a demo day that is coming up soon and go and demo/hit a bunch of clubs and shafts. See what you like visually, what feels best and go for it!

Also worth doing a check on a few DTC companies like Sub 70, Takomo, Haywood, New Level, Toura and Maltby.

I'm currently looking into the haywoods,  just waiting for them to come to my local golf show so I can finally see and try them.  From my personal exploration I'm leaning wilson cb . If haywood feels right ill go there. Just everything goes up to $1,500-$2,500 . Thankfully wilson is on the lower end of that spectrum. 

Just now, nick gauts said:

I'm currently looking into the haywoods,  just waiting for them to come to my local golf show so I can finally see and try them.  From my personal exploration I'm leaning wilson cb . If haywood feels right ill go there. Just everything goes up to $1,500-$2,500 . Thankfully wilson is on the lower end of that spectrum. 

Wilson also has the new AI Fit system which apparently is really cool!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

10 hours ago, nick gauts said:

I would never dissuade someone from getting clubs, if that's really what they want. I'll just try to give some thoughts on how best to go about it.

First and foremost - Get Fit! You'll see this A LOT on the forum. Like 95% of us believe in getting fit for clubs. Also, a lot of us believe that if you plan to keep them for a number of years, that looking at clubs that might be a tad bit tougher today but will grow with your game isn't necessarily a bad idea. But there's a point where a club type is a bad idea, for just about anyone. Blades fall into this pitfall for so many golfers. Pros and the most elite ball strikers are really the only ones who should be playing blades (Blueprint, P7MB, Pro 221, etc). We're actually seeing more and more Pros move to CB's these days due to getting much more forgiveness than blades while still giving them workability and consistency.

If you're finding your ball striking is getting a ton better and you can control your flight and distance almost on command, then something like a CB might be a great idea. But getting fit to find the perfect set is really the best way to find out. Depending on where you go (Club Champion, PGATSS, GG, PXG, TXG, etc), it might cost you a few dollars to get fit. But it's worth it. You don't have to buy from them if you feel you can find the clubs better elsewhere, but having the information to properly shop for what YOU need is the key. Everything else will work itself out.

Good luck!

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Wilson also has the new AI Fit system which apparently is really cool!

I saw that and I mean I want to try that just to try it 🤣 just like the ping wedge sticker . I just love geeking out on golf and learning new things.

10 hours ago, nick gauts said:

Honestly I would look at a mixed/combo bag. More forgiving irons in the 3-6/7 iron and more of a mb/cb for the rest of the bag. Most of the brands are doing them now.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

10 minutes ago, nick gauts said:

The fitting is where I'm curious on turf interaction.  I've had a few misses that feel like I hit the toe to turf first .  Slowly learning about shafts, lie angles etc right now

Correct, if you feel that the toe is hitting first, then your lie angle is too flat. I’m 6’6” so I require an inch longer and 3 degrees upright. A good fitter will measure your wrist to floor height, which will give you a good starting point. From there you’ll take a few shots off a lie angle board to fine tune the measurement from there. 

5 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I would never dissuade someone from getting clubs, if that's really what they want. I'll just try to give some thoughts on how best to go about it.

First and foremost - Get Fit! You'll see this A LOT on the forum. Like 95% of us believe in getting fit for clubs. Also, a lot of us believe that if you plan to keep them for a number of years, that looking at clubs that might be a tad bit tougher today but will grow with your game isn't necessarily a bad idea. But there's a point where a club type is a bad idea, for just about anyone. Blades fall into this pitfall for so many golfers. Pros and the most elite ball strikers are really the only ones who should be playing blades (Blueprint, P7MB, Pro 221, etc). We're actually seeing more and more Pros move to CB's these days due to getting much more forgiveness than blades while still giving them workability and consistency.

If you're finding your ball striking is getting a ton better and you can control your flight and distance almost on command, then something like a CB might be a great idea. But getting fit to find the perfect set is really the best way to find out. Depending on where you go (Club Champion, PGATSS, GG, PXG, TXG, etc), it might cost you a few dollars to get fit. But it's worth it. You don't have to buy from them if you feel you can find the clubs better elsewhere, but having the information to properly shop for what YOU need is the key. Everything else will work itself out.

Good luck!

200% getting fit .  I've done demo days for fun but it's go time this year,  these may be my last set for years to come .  Blades are just what I call players irons I'll not go pure blades but it's just one end of the scale for reference.   CBs are where I'm going to hang out maybe with some mb mixed in depending on fitting who knows. I'm nervous and scared and absolutely fired up 🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Honestly I would look at a mixed/combo bag. More forgiving irons in the 3-6/7 iron and more of a mb/cb for the rest of the bag. Most of the brands are doing them now.  

Oh yeah we are mixing that bag up!  I rarely use long irons after 6i   just for gapping reasons ( I have a 5hy and a 3hy that I like more than my 5i,4i,3i   . I keep a 3i just for long punch shots mostly 

1 minute ago, nick gauts said:

Oh yeah we are mixing that bag up!  I rarely use long irons after 6i   just for gapping reasons ( I have a 5hy and a 3hy that I like more than my 5i,4i,3i   . I keep a 3i just for long punch shots mostly 

A lot of the folks on here have loved Tokomo and Sub70.  I have Srixon and they have been some of the best irons I have played. Have a combo set mkii zx5s and zx7s. 

As many have said, it's best to find a demo day. 

9 minutes ago, nick gauts said:

200% getting fit .  I've done demo days for fun but it's go time this year,  these may be my last set for years to come .  Blades are just what I call players irons I'll not go pure blades but it's just one end of the scale for reference.   CBs are where I'm going to hang out maybe with some mb mixed in depending on fitting who knows. I'm nervous and scared and absolutely fired up 🤣🤣

I agree with Josh too, that a mixed set might be the best option. Again, fitting will lead you down the right path for what mixture of clubs to utilize. Srixon ZX5/7, Wilson Forged/CB, TM 790/770, Callaway Apex/Apex Pro, Sub70 CB/TC(/MB), Takomo 301 CB/MB, Maltby TS3/4, etc, etc. Lots to chose from, and sometimes too much. 🙂

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

4 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I agree with Josh too, that a mixed set might be the best option. Again, fitting will lead you down the right path for what mixture of clubs to utilize. Srixon ZX5/7, Wilson Forged/CB, TM 790/770, Callaway Apex/Apex Pro, Sub70 CB/TC(/MB), Takomo 301 CB/MB, Maltby TS3/4, etc, etc. Lots to chose from, and sometimes too much. 🙂

Way too many options indeed haha. Hopefully I get fit to something and it just works perfectly . I'm a big fan of not going for the main 4/5 golf brands that are out there . But if they work they work 

6 minutes ago, nick gauts said:

Way too many options indeed haha. Hopefully I get fit to something and it just works perfectly . I'm a big fan of not going for the main 4/5 golf brands that are out there . But if they work they work 

Yeah, I'm not  fan of the main OEM's either. I have a mixed bag of DTC (Takomo/Sub70). It's unlikely I'll go with a TM, Callaway, Ping, etc for my next set. They're too expensive, and there are just too many great options out there. Wilson, Mizuno, Srixon, Sub70, etc are all great clubs and usually better pricing them the big 3-4.

The new Mizunos look great and my old set of mp32s had great workability and feel. 

11 hours ago, nick gauts said:

go get fitted and hit a bunch of stuff. the math and the numbers wont lie.

Plus its just fun.  If you have the disposable income new club day is just.... /queue plastic peeling off fresh iron heads.... *shudder* delicious.

Harder club help your game?   Eh... maybe?  Maybe you focus more knowing they arnt forgiving?  

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

I'm with you on this subject 100%. Low 90s scorer, 25 year old set of clubs, asking is it me, or is it the clubs? I've recently ventured into the "improve my swing" phase of golfing, as I have had some issues im dealing with in my swing.

I've hit some friends clubs, and realized I have not met the full potential of my own set, as I had very similar results hitting theirs.

I have a few demo days coming up, and to be honest, I can't afford the price associated with them. While I hope to learn if they will work for me, I can take that knowledge and apply it to the next set.

The most daunting part (for me) is the cost. Sure you may find a set that works best for you at the priceline that suits you, but for me it adds up quickly when you start changing shafts! They are usually an upcharge (at least here locally) if they are not a factory option. Also, a driver shaft is another animal in itself, and usually very specific to you,  and generally not the same specs for as the irons shafts. (Each shaft can run from $80 up to $XX per club)

If you feel you've maximized your clubs AND your swing potential, then definitely time to move up!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

30 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

The new Mizunos look great and my old set of mp32s had great workability and feel. 

I know I'll be getting the new Mizuno Pro's. I'm just not sure if it will be the 245 or the 243 model. I hit the 245's and they were amazing. After I left I realized I should probably have hit the 243 model as well to see How they performed. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

10 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

They don't hand out prizes for having clubs that are harder to hit.  They hand out prizes for shooting lower scores.

If your goal is just to have fun, then by all means play whatever brings you enjoyment.  If your goal is to shoot the lowest score possible I would beg you to please not rule out GI or even SGI clubs.  

FWIW I have been playing Cleveland CBX (firmly game improvement irons) for the past 6-7 seasons, I just last week decided it's time to upgrade and went with Srixon ZX5 (also game improvement) mostly because I wanted something new and shiny and I gained some swing speed to I needed to reshaft my irons anyway.  I'm currently a 1.9 handicap and usually move between a 2-3 throughout the season.  For me there is zero compelling reason to play anything that makes the game less forgiving.

Also "working" the ball is over rated. I've never in my 35 years of golfing ever heard someone complain because they hit the ball too straight.  

I just realized I'm way top young to be having these "get off my lawn" rants and sounding like a cranky old man 🙂  In all seriousness play what makes you happy but please give serious consideration to trying the most forgiving club you can stand to look at.

I just like being able to play around with my shots or in a scramble I can take those hero shots for my team as more often than not I can make them but having the confidence to work the ball left or right or control ball flight a lil more is what I want.   Shot shaping isn't just the wild 50 yards left to right its a ok the pin is tucked back right I want to hit front left and roll to the right kinda thing. I've hit cbs  better than a game improvement. Like I tried p790s. Absolutely hated them.  But was more consistent with a p770 or p7mb.  Makes no sense 

39 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I'm with you on this subject 100%. Low 90s scorer, 25 year old set of clubs, asking is it me, or is it the clubs? I've recently ventured into the "improve my swing" phase of golfing, as I have had some issues im dealing with in my swing.

I've hit some friends clubs, and realized I have not met the full potential of my own set, as I had very similar results hitting theirs.

I have a few demo days coming up, and to be honest, I can't afford the price associated with them. While I hope to learn if they will work for me, I can take that knowledge and apply it to the next set.

The most daunting part (for me) is the cost. Sure you may find a set that works best for you at the priceline that suits you, but for me it adds up quickly when you start changing shafts! They are usually an upcharge (at least here locally) if they are not a factory option. Also, a driver shaft is another animal in itself, and usually very specific to you,  and generally not the same specs for as the irons shafts. (Each shaft can run from $80 up to $XX per club)

If you feel you've maximized your clubs AND your swing potential, then definitely time to move up!

Figure out what your specs are and look for used clubs at local stores.  I was fortunate enough to level up my game for 250$ just by knowing I need a stiffer shaft.  If your not going full fitted route do the demo days and learn about shafts. 25 year old clubs can be good but you will feel and love anything newer.    1999.... thats when your clubs came out the tech difference  shortly after 2005 we will call it is massive  and to today's standards night and day