Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Future of Golf: Trends and Predictions for the Next Decade

With all the noise around Liv and the Pgat etc golf is certainly evolving.

What future trends are people seeing or looking for. I'm quite open to something like: Shorter Golf Courses and Events: A growing trend towards shorter golf courses and events, driven by the busy schedules of players who are looking for quicker and more flexible golfing options. Maybe we could expect to see more 6 and 9-hole courses that complement traditional 18-hole courses. Would certainly help with introducing golfer to new or younger members.

David

Live, Share, Play Golf

This is written tongue in cheek for entertainment purposes  only (maybe)…..

- Pro golf will become an unimportant and irrelevant after thought after LIV completes their take over of worldwide pro golf.

- Golf for the masses in general will become the daytime equivalent of Friday Night drunk bowling in the US.

- Us old farts that tried to stand up for the traditions of the game will die off and the game will be taken over by players that are all about themselves…. Ie: don’t change the balls and take my distance away, don’t change the clubs that cover up my lack of skill. That’ll make the game too hard and not fun anymore.

- those same players will also complain that it takes too long to play a round and the courses will take note. They will begin charging by the hole with a surcharge per minute on the course. Some may even charge by the stroke. Two or three hole rounds will be the norm and will STILL take two hours. 

- The rich guys at the country clubs will continue to play golf the way it was played for centuries and will find more creative ways to keep out the “common riff-raff floggers”.

funny this was posted when I get a story from MassGolf the same day about it being the year of the short course

https://www.massgolf.org/news/features-short-courses-2024/?_hsmi=295356278

I think 9 hole/par 3 courses will make a comeback; some people don't have the time or money to spend on a full 18 and this is a good way to get out and play for fun.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Hilarious take on the future of golf! Your tongue-in-cheek predictions definitely paint a vivid picture of the potential evolution of the sport. While some aspects may sound outrageous, there's often a grain of truth in humor.

It's fascinating to contemplate how golf, like many traditional pastimes, might adapt to changing times and societal shifts. Your satire cleverly highlights some of the tensions between tradition and modernity, elitism and accessibility, skill and technology.

While the future of golf may hold surprises, one thing is for sure: the game's rich history and enduring appeal will continue to spark debate and conversation among enthusiasts and casual players alike. Here's to hoping that, amidst all the changes, golf retains its essence of camaraderie, challenge, and enjoyment for generations to come.

Thanks for the entertaining perspective!
https://geometrydash-unblocked.com

On 2/23/2024 at 11:13 AM, StrokerAce said:

I think 9 hole/par 3 courses will make a comeback;

Par 3 courses should be a focus, of golf.  It is where I learned the game, and where I took my girls to learn the game.  Both locations, NOW LONG CLOSED.  I began the game  chipping around a 4 hole(total 150 yards maybe) set up in our back yard.  Using PW for everything including putting.  We actually had neighborhood tournaments.  But I learned to chip, and get the ball off the ground.  I was then able to go to a place called Vinks.  It was an 18 hole par 3 course, longest hole was 175, and it had lights, so you could play after dark, it was open till 11 PM. Max score was 6, and pick up. It provided a great place to go at 12-14 years old, where I was confident I could do alright, because I knew I could get a 7, 8,  or 9 off the ground, hitting it off a tee.  That's all you needed.  I wasn't forced to go to a full size course, and be expected to hit driver, and have 280-500 yard holes.  It was an IDEAL way for someone who liked the game to be able to build their confidence, and then at around 15, be taken to a full size course with my older brothers, having built a competent game from 150 yards in.

I did the same thing with my two girls at "Little Thunder".   I think it had 4 holes between 150-220, everything else sub 150, many 70-120.  It is what young people and beginners need.  Golf is really selling the game short, by not encouraging or supporting courses like these.  I am unaware of any par 3 course, within 2 hours of me, possibly farther.  Last one I knew was at Atwood Resort, near Canton.  I'm not sure if the resort has reopened, and if either the regular, or par 3 course are still in operation.

The future of the game really needs access to small, iron only courses. 

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 2/27/2024 at 9:46 AM, Stuka44 said:

Par 3 courses should be a focus, of golf.  It is where I learned the game, and where I took my girls to learn the game.  Both locations, NOW LONG CLOSED.  I began the game  chipping around a 4 hole(total 150 yards maybe) set up in our back yard.  Using PW for everything including putting.  We actually had neighborhood tournaments.  But I learned to chip, and get the ball off the ground.  I was then able to go to a place called Vinks.  It was an 18 hole par 3 course, longest hole was 175, and it had lights, so you could play after dark, it was open till 11 PM. Max score was 6, and pick up. It provided a great place to go at 12-14 years old, where I was confident I could do alright, because I knew I could get a 7, 8,  or 9 off the ground, hitting it off a tee.  That's all you needed.  I wasn't forced to go to a full size course, and be expected to hit driver, and have 280-500 yard holes.  It was an IDEAL way for someone who liked the game to be able to build their confidence, and then at around 15, be taken to a full size course with my older brothers, having built a competent game from 150 yards in.

I did the same thing with my two girls at "Little Thunder".   I think it had 4 holes between 150-220, everything else sub 150, many 70-120.  It is what young people and beginners need.  Golf is really selling the game short, by not encouraging or supporting courses like these.  I am unaware of any par 3 course, within 2 hours of me, possibly farther.  Last one I knew was at Atwood Resort, near Canton.  I'm not sure if the resort has reopened, and if either the regular, or par 3 course are still in operation.

The future of the game really needs access to small, iron only courses. 

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/short-course-concept-has-long-legs/

image.png.faa4409fc4acdb56760138a692817161.png

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

I just read this, thanks.  I just made that search yesterday.  Don't believe I have a par 3 course within 3 hours of me.

UNRELATED !!!

And I was just wondering if anyone else is seeing this.  Encouraging people to play 9 IS NOT WORKING.  I refuse to play 9 at this point, becasue most courses around me, charge you 70-75% for 9 compared to 18.   If 18 is 42 with a cart, 9 still costs you 33-34$, NOT $21 for 9.   I would run out to play 9 more often, if it was half of what 18 was costing.  Until this changes, I will wait to play 18, even though many evenings, I have time for 9.  

This is where it all should start once you are able to get off the driving range and have a little confidence. This was a great place to learn. All par 3's. Shortest being 103 yards and the longest being 250 yards. You use every club in your bag, and it was not a flat course. We actually had our work league there as it was less than 5 minutes from the plant. This is where I cut my teeth and got hooked. We need more courses like this. 

image.png.9856b2700993ac5fab45cc3060eab9d2.png

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

58 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This is where it all should start

100% correct.  The place I started closed so long ago, I could not find scorecard for it. Yours is 3000 yards, I would say Vinks was 1600-2200 probably.  Absolutely ideal for starting out on.   

Golf will remain a niche sport and sooner or later the pendulum will swing away from people partaking in it. Plus Tiger Woods will run for president but be soundly defeated by the mad scientist, Bryson Dechambeau.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

Here's another short course in Hobe Sound, FL called Eaglewood Golf Course.

When you move in, you get a golf cart with your home because the club owns no carts.

Fifteen Par 3's and three Par 4's = Par 57.

It's been that way since the place opened and speed of play is closely observed.

https://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/fl/hobe-sound/eaglewood-country-club

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

Simulators are becoming more affordable, and more golfers will have them in their homes. With improved graphics, multiplayer environments, and AI coaching, simulators will become the first choice for many golfers and may potentially reduce the number of rounds played on real golf courses.

Titleist TSi2 Driver
Titleist TS2 15* Fairway Wood
Titleist 915F 16.5* Fairway Wood
Taylormade P790 Iron Set 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* & 58*
Taylormade TP Red Collection Ardmore Putter

Back to the original topic "The Future of Golf: Trends and Predictions for the Next Decade",  I always try to look at the things that made golf desirable and allowed it to grow over the 150+ years since it started.

For you, start by asking yourself why you started playing golf - what were the things that attracted you to the game?

As a kid, I shagged balls and caddied for golfers at our local golf courses. Watching them play, whether well or poorly, made me envious.  I wanted to hit shots like the good players and I knew I could do better than the duffs. I wanted the joy of seeing well-hit shots in the air from beautiful fairways onto the low-cut greens.  It was exciting, yet peaceful. I wanted to act and dress like a gentleman. I loved the honesty of competing against myself and others.  I learned that I had to learn to deal with the unpredictability of the course conditions, the weather, my swing, my emotions and my opponent.  Practicing was extremely important.  What a great game! 

The current FOG’s (Future of Golf ) players seem to prefer loud music, backwards hats, untucked shirts, Waste Management (The People’s Open) behavior, golf cart races, extreme inebriation, hitting balls from the tee of one hole to the green of the next hole, slow play, golf course disrespect, a total disregard for improvement - anything but the actual game.

The FOG’s are entitled to pay for their brand of "golf entertainment", and some courses will gladly take their money.  They really belong at Top Golf or Pop Stroke-type places.  Eventually, the FOG’s will be attracted to some other form of extreme entertainment for a period. And then something else will grab their attention. And then something else.

Golf will not become greater because of the current FOG’s.  If the golf “market” shrinks because the FOG’s move on, that’s ok with me.  Golf doesn’t need to constantly be exploding.  There are going to be times when there are too many golf courses.  Guess what, the market will speak and some courses will go out of business.  When golf courses become too crowded, new courses will be built.  

It is always interesting to see athletes, successful business people and celebrities become addicted to our game.  I can guess what their reasons are for wanting to play golf, but I bet no one is forcing them to do it.

Forcing kids to play Snag golf or dumbing-down the game for FOG’s is not the way to solidly grow the game.  Making golf more “exclusive” might make people want it more.

What were the things that attracted you to the game?

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this topic.

I am dead set against any ball roll back as currently mandated.

However, I got to thinking. A 70% roll back with 70% less length would be really cool. 18 holes on a city block. A 6500 yard course would be around 2000 yards. Everyone could walk. 250 yard drives would go 75 yards. A 550 yard par 5 would be 165 yards. And once in a while you sneak in a real ball and drive that sucker with a 6 iron. Wait until everyone sees that Albatross on your scorecard!

Maybe I should seek a patent!

Ok, who's with me?

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Timing is everything.

I was traveling for work this week and I spent the first couple of days in Greenville SC. Just so happens that a par 3 course and a putting course was between my hotel and my customers. I unfortunately did not bring my clubs. But I did go there for lunch and later that day went back to do the putting course (I rented a putter).

The place was perfect for learning. 18 hole course and the max distance was around 145 yards. The putting course was crazy. Each tee box was a four cup drink holder. Then you putted to a numbered cup. I have never seen undulations like this before. It was a synthetic because a mower couldn’t mow it for sure. This was the putting course.

IMG_0726.jpeg.85cd51930042fd2c19e6d14d3debc638.jpeg

IMG_0727.jpeg.5c0062e6d9b2deabb0c6b50ead81b3dd.jpeg

The place had a really nice bar. Indoor and outdoor seating, big screen tv’s. Pricing wasn’t bad. 18 holes was $27.00 and the 18 hole putting course was $9.00 and if you paid to play the par three course the putting course was free.

The place was called “The 3’s” I believe it was a struggling 9 hole course and converted a couple years ago. The vibe was similar to a Top Golf location. They said it takes about an hour and a half to play the par 3 course. It took an hour for two of us to play the putting course. 

Saw a bunch of dads out there with their kids.

I forgot to mention it I’d lit up for nighttime play as well.

Edited by Tom the Golf Nut
Added info

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

9 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Timing is everything.

I was traveling for work this week and I spent the first couple of days in Greenville SC. Just so happens that a par 3 course and a putting course was between my hotel and my customers. I unfortunately did not bring my clubs. But I did go there for lunch and later that day went back to do the putting course (I rented a putter).

The place was perfect for learning. 18 hole course and the max distance was around 145 yards. The putting course was crazy. Each tee box was a four cup drink holder. Then you putted to a numbered cup. I have never seen undulations like this before. It was a synthetic because a mower couldn’t mow it for sure. This was the putting course.

IMG_0726.jpeg.85cd51930042fd2c19e6d14d3debc638.jpeg

IMG_0727.jpeg.5c0062e6d9b2deabb0c6b50ead81b3dd.jpeg

The place had a really nice bar. Indoor and outdoor seating, big screen tv’s. Pricing wasn’t bad. 18 holes was $27.00 and the 18 hole putting course was $9.00 and if you paid to play the par three course the putting course was free.

The place was called “The 3’s” I believe it was a struggling 9 hole course and converted a couple years ago. The vibe was similar to a Top Golf location. They said it takes about an hour and a half to play the par 3 course. It took an hour for two of us to play the putting course. 

Saw a bunch of dads out there with their kids.

I’ve heard a lot about this place - looks awesome!  Thanks for sharing @Tom the Golf Nut!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5