Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Any good putting analyzer apps?

Are there any good apps or relatively inexpensive options for putting analysis (arc, face open/closed angle, etc.)?  

Not looking to drop $600 on the Puttr AI mat or more "professional fitting" devices - just something to use in my basement.

WITB

• Driver - 9 Degree Callaway Rogue Max LS
  • 3 Wood - 14.5 Degree Taylor Made Sim 2
  • Hybrid - 19 Degree Callaway 
  • Irons - 4 - Gap Mizuno JPX 921 Forged
  • Wedges - 54 & 58 Titleist Vokey SM8
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport+

2 hours ago, KingSlender said:

Are there any good apps or relatively inexpensive options for putting analysis (arc, face open/closed angle, etc.)?  

Not looking to drop $600 on the Puttr AI mat or more "professional fitting" devices - just something to use in my basement.

Blast Motion is probably your best option if you want an electronic device.    You could do iPing, but would have to find a holder for the phone (DIY or try to find one since they are now fitter only items); some will say the phone is too heavy on the putter.   

IMO, there are only a few things that you need to look at when putting

• face angle at impact
  • impact location
  • distance control
  • rhythm

Depending on who you listen to face angle controls 85-95% of balls direction so you want to get your degree of error as low as possible; path/arc is not very important to look at except as fitting information.  Center contact gives you more consistent ball speed and will reduce any possible twisting at impact.   Distance control is the most important thing in putting and is difficult to practice in your basement unless you have space to roll 20'+ putts.   Consistent rhythm is good for distance control since it helps with getting the same ball speeds for each distance.    

To measure these things you can use putter gates, ball gates, and a metronome app.

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Blast Motion is probably your best option if you want an electronic device.    You could do iPing, but would have to find a holder for the phone (DIY or try to find one since they are now fitter only items).   

• face angle at impact
  • impact location
  • distance control
  • rhythm

Depending on who you listen to face angle controls 85-95% of balls direction so you want to get your degree of error as low as possible; path/arc is not very important to look at except as fitting information.  Center contact gives you more consistent ball speed and will reduce any possible twisting at impact.   Distance control is the most important thing in putting and is difficult to practice in your basement unless you have space to roll 20'+ putts.   Consistent rhythm is good for distance control since it helps with getting the same ball speeds for each distance.    

To measure these things you can use putter gates, ball gates, and a metronome app.

All of this... Hackmotion has one as well. However in testing it has been a bit hit and miss. There were some recent updates which apparently has helped make some improvements so I will see what has happened there. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

All of this... Hackmotion has one as well. However in testing it has been a bit hit and miss. There were some recent updates which apparently has helped make some improvements so I will see what has happened there. 

There are other things like Vertex, BioMech, Capto, Puttist and ExPutt but he said he didn't want to pay the price for Puttr so I went to the sub $200 range.    I didn't mention wellputt that has an app to support their mats.    I don't know if TOMI is still a thing.  There was also another aid that I can't remember the name of that had sensors in a board and it measured the putter (I'll keep looking and update if I can find)

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Let me echo @cnosil here: given what you're describing, Blast is your best option.

Here was my setup for putting practice this morning:

image.png

This is a combo of three apps/gadgets: Hackmotion, Focusband, and Blast. Hackmotion, at least in my experience, is incredibly useful for learning how the wrists need to work (or, to be more accurate, not work) in the putting stroke. My biggest complaint, other than cost, is that it tends to have a pretty high number of "ghost" reads, where it registers a putt when you're just moving or setting the putter on the green. That's annoying. It's a very small sample size, but I think they recently updated the app, and I had fewer of them this morning than in the past. So maybe it's getting better.

The Focusband is a gadget for measuring brainwave frequency. I like this feedback; I'm learning to quiet my mind while putting, focusing on images rather than technical thoughts.

But again, the Blast is going to do the most for you, based on what you're describing and price point. It has a variety of data points, including the length of your stroke (in both distance and time), tempo, how much you're twisting the face open/closed, how much you're changing your lie and loft during your stroke, and how fast you're swinging the putter.

I picked mine up used; they're common enough that it's not hard to get a good deal on them.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Not to knock high end tech, as it does provide alot of information that can help you correct flaws that you think are happening. 

But for me, I went lo-tech. Putting mirror helps with square face impact,  a grooved yard stick allows for straight ball path control, any cup or hole mimick item for distance control. And of course a putting mat.

The way I discovered my issues (short left putts) was to simply record my stroke from behind and from the side. It's how I recognized how out of alignment my putting really was relative to impact and follow through.  This encouraged me to work on correcting my stance,  my arm position,  my swing speed, etc.

Again,  if there is an affordable way to use new tech, by all means go for it. Just providing you with alternatives.   

Nothing is a magic cure for putting more than yourself.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

There was also another aid that I can't remember the name of that had sensors in a board and it measured the putter (I'll keep looking and update if I can find)

it was the Hole More Putts Launch Monitor.   It was an expensive tool for putting;  seems to have gone out of business. 

22 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

But for me, I went lo-tech. Putting mirror helps with square face impact,  a grooved yard stick allows for straight ball path control, any cup or hole mimick item for distance control. And of course a putting mat.

There are lots of low tech ways to improve your putting skills.  You can use tile or the lone between flooring to help see square setup.  Gates or a dime for face direction at impact.  Gates or rubber bands for center strike. 

With both low and high tech tools you still have to identify the source of the problem.  The tools give you results but results don't tell you what to do; you still have to figure out the mechanics.   

16 minutes ago, Musicwhoore said:

Been looking at this but haven't tried it yet.  https://tourreadgolf.com/

Starting at 99 per year subscription. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

54 minutes ago, Musicwhoore said:

Been looking at this but haven't tried it yet.  https://tourreadgolf.com/

Not really a putting analyzer.   It is designed to teach you how to read greens by leveraging  specific math formulas.  Aimpoint alternative.  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Not really a putting analyzer.   It is designed to teach you how to read greens by leveraging  specific math formulas.  Aimpoint alternative.  

Well isn't being able to determine whether or not you are reading a green correctly, analyzing your putting😛  

Love to Hate the Game

2 minutes ago, Musicwhoore said:

Well isn't being able to determine whether or not you are reading a green correctly, analyzing your putting😛  

While It is a skill associated with putting,  it does not provide feedback on the things that the OP was looking to measure.  

On 3/9/2024 at 10:21 AM, cnosil said:

Blast Motion is probably your best option if you want an electronic device.    You could do iPing, but would have to find a holder for the phone (DIY or try to find one since they are now fitter only items); some will say the phone is too heavy on the putter.   

• face angle at impact
  • impact location
  • distance control
  • rhythm

Didnt you use exputt for the Sacks Parente testing?

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

21 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Didnt you use exputt for the Sacks Parente testing?

I did but didn’t reference in my original post because the price for the current model exceeds what I believe the OP was trying to spend based on the inout  that the Puttr system was too expensive.  

Edited by cnosil

Just used the iPING 2.0 app today and was pretty impressed with what it can tell you for a free app. Plus this is the app that Ping Fitter's use (or maybe used too) so its pretty cool to get a glimpse into what goes into that process. Ill attach a pic below of some of the info it gives you. I didnt have the cradle that you're supposed to use but used some command strips to attach my phone which worked good enough for some quick testing. Def the best free option.IMG_02EC047D737F-1.jpeg.1d1c6f4f1dcae52d2daf371f6041a77b.jpeg

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 10.5 ~TENSEI AV Orange 65 S

Fairway Wood: :ping-small: G425 5w set at 16.5

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max Rescue 4 Hybrid ~ Ventus Blue 6 R

Irons: :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 5-A ~ Elevate MPH 95 S

Wedges: :callaway-small: 54° JAWS Full Toe Chrome :callaway-small: 58° JAWS Full Toe Black

Putter:  :scotty-small: Special Select Flowback 5.5 (for now....)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bap1130 said:

Just got this a few weeks ago - it is incredible for the price:

https://vertex-golf.com/

Just had a friend of mine bring this one to my attention and, like you said, given its price point, it looks incredibly impressive. Care to elaborate on your experience with it so far?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Just had a friend of mine bring this one to my attention and, like you said, given its price point, it looks incredibly impressive. Care to elaborate on your experience with it so far?

Absolutely!

So as context, I previously had a Capto and the Blast Motion. The Capto was definitely accurate, but the software was terrible and the app looked like it was built in 1995. The blast motion was good too, but once I switched to a Superstroke Flatso, it wouldn't fit on the grip anymore.

The only reason I discovered it was I saw an article where they partnered with SAM PuttLab. Recognizing that SAM has the market cornered for putting analysis, it must mean they saw something in Vertex.

I purchased it on a whim, arrived within a week, and I was up and running. The setup is much easier that Capto, and I definitely think the data points are accurate. It allows you to upgrade to a yearly subscription (I think either $50 or $100 depending on what you want) to basically get any data you need. I haven't put it up against SAM (mostly because I don't have one), but for $350, I can't imagine finding anything better. Honestly, I think they haven't really done any marketing yet otherwise this thing would be getting a lot more attention IMO

Couple of screenshots attached as well....

Screenshot_20240120_131201_Vertex.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_131250_Vertex.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_131255_Vertex.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_131259_Vertex.jpg

Edited by Bap1130

I had taken a set of lessons last year and the instructor used Blast.  I ended up purchasing it and it's helped a great deal.  Tempo is much better which results in much better distance control.  I have a Flatso putter grip with Arccos and Blast has a cover that fits nicely.  Bigger one that for traditional grip sizes.  I do unscrew the arccos when practicing.

Stealth 2 driver, TSR 4 wood and hybrids, Apex 21 6-A irons, Titleist Volkey wedges 52 and 56.