Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Star Grips - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@BreakfastBall15 -Main Post

@LeakyValve - Main Post

@Alf. S - Main Post

@EugeGallMain Post

3 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I did notice that in the vide you didn't leave any room on the shaft for extra pushdown. Did you adjust that after or just tap it on the floor to set the cap?

Push down of the grip? Like in the case of doing normal ones you would tap it on the ground to make sure it’s on all the way?  

I found that when I put the rubber club grip on the shaft I would use that to make sure the grip was on all the way. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

9 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

FINAL REVIEW IS UP!

I mentioned it at the end of the review but I'd like to just give another huge shout out and thank you to the MGS staff for the chance to review something, as well as my fellow reviewers and all of you following along! I'll be sure to keep you all posted with updates as more rounds get played. And if there are any more questions or tests that need to be addressed feel free to let me know!

Thank you all again!!

LV!!

Great review, Leaky. I also play an MCC Plus midsize. Your comments about the Tour Star sizing were exactly the insight I sought, as I am extremely interested in replacing my gamers with the Star. How does the texture of the Tour Star compare to the MCC?

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

@Prodigal Duffer I would compare the texture of the Tour Stars more along the lines of the current Tour Wrap offered from Golf Pride. 

with the MCCs our top hand was subject to a more corded feeling. And the bottom hand a bit more rubber. I think the bottom hand feeling is more along the lines of what you would get for the whole grip of a Tour Star. 

If you do consider the wrap style grips I would consider the Classic Wrap from Star Grips as it comes in midsize. And you can easily add a few wraps of tape underneath to get a midsize MCC + 4 feeling. The Tour Stars I have on are less tapered but currently have 4 full length wraps of tape to build them up to a midsize grip. 

as for the (for lack of better term “alignment”) aids on the MCCs. The beauty of the Star Grips is your adjust ability. I believe they are all moulded the same way, so the logo on the tops all match one another. And where the wrap starts to head down the grips is the same too. My point being that if you say put a grip on just to get it on and find yourself not liking how the wraps feel in your hand, you can quickly blow it off and rotate the grip a quarter turn either way and try again. mine are all set to have the star grips logo reading in the upright position when looking down the club. My hands, and more specifically my right thumb (being a lefty) fits perfectly on the 5th or 6th wrap. And this stays true for every grips through the iron set so I know I’m not choked down too much. As well as having the same feeling for each grip. 

yes it might be a bit tedious, but you can really get creative with the way you want your hands and fingers to feel locked in on the grip. 

IMG_0577.jpeg.dcf6ad74586aad6d4cf9f9d9b1ce5175.jpeg
I’ve tossed this in here showing the difference between a standard size (blue tour star) and midsize mcc4. The corded top half off the MCC is rough. The rubber bottom half is more aligned with how the Star Grips feel. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

21 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

Push down of the grip? Like in the case of doing normal ones you would tap it on the ground to make sure it’s on all the way?  

I found that when I put the rubber club grip on the shaft I would use that to make sure the grip was on all the way. 

Yes. You pushed it right up to the vice it looked like.

As.example, I noticed when I regripped a club that while the old and new were the same length,  the new grip went 1/2" further past the tape line I used.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

@Rob Person ah. I see. I think I put too much tape on the shaft. I should have left a half inch or so for the grip to actually be on the shaft. 

I’ve noticed with the Star Grips you can almost “stretch” them out a bit while putting them on. Like squeezing out the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube. And in doing so makes them fit a bit longer. 

i found I had to do this some times to feel like grips was completely on 

Edited by LeakyValve

For those that are using tape along with the blow-on method, what type of tape are you using? Masking or Painter's Tape? Or maybe a different tape?

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

48 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

For those that are using tape along with the blow-on method, what type of tape are you using? Masking or Painter's Tape? Or maybe a different tape?

I used 2in masking tape. Technically “contractors tape” but had no issues. I alternated the placement to avoid a ridge build up. When I did the final wrap I noticed that it didn’t wrap all the way on the bottom hand (have 4 wraps on the bottom and one on the top) but can’t tell when the grip is on 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Same as everyone. 2 inch blue painters tape. I used the full length of the grip less 1 inch on the shaft and made sure to cut it at the end of the shaft. 

first time I did it I cut like a half inch past the end of the shaft and had issues blowing the grip on 

@Shrek74

Final review it up on my main post. I may have been a bit nitpicking but I wanted to be fully honest. I’m very pleased with the grips though and they be staying in the bag for a long time! More pics will be uploaded later today but wanted to get the review posted!

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

@BreakfastBall15 well said for your final review. 

I’ve been making a point to my clubs in peoples hands to get their thoughts on them and it’s been a good response as well. 

I will agree with you that I feel like the orange is some how the softest of my bunch of sidewinders (a green and grey one to compare). 

12 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

@BreakfastBall15 well said for your final review. 

I’ve been making a point to my clubs in peoples hands to get their thoughts on them and it’s been a good response as well. 

I will agree with you that I feel like the orange is some how the softest of my bunch of sidewinders (a green and grey one to compare). 

It’s so odd. I very intrigued as to why the orange are softer than the rest. Is not like that are dramatically softer but it’s noticeable

43 minutes ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

It’s so odd. I very intrigued as to why the orange are softer than the rest. Is not like that are dramatically softer but it’s noticeable

Have you taste tested them?  Maybe it's like that red Dye #5 candy theory. Don't know why, but it's just better! Haha

Great final review. And more than anything,  that's what these companies look for in feedback! Honesty!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

4 hours ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

It happens more than you think. The Taylormade TP5 PIX felt  firmer to me  than the TP5.The TP5 PIX sounded more “clicky “ too.

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Bought several star grips to test for cushioning vs the lamkin grips I currently use.  Opening the package was struck by a strong orange disinfectant smell.  Going to leave them outside a few days to determine if the smell diminishes.  They seem very tacky which I like quite a bit.

Callaway Paradym X 10.5 set to 11.5

Callaway Paradym 3+ wood

Callaway Paradym X 3/4/5 hybrid

Mizuno 923JPX irons 6-W Dynamic Gold 95 w/ProSoft dampeners

Cleveland CBX2 48, 52, 56

Cleveland Huntington Beach 6

8 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Have you taste tested them?  Maybe it's like that red Dye #5 candy theory. Don't know why, but it's just better! Haha

Great final review. And more than anything,  that's what these companies look for in feedback! Honesty!

I did not. I honestly should have. I bet they taste like skittles

I did just come across these on Instagram. If these were an option during testing I for sure would have gone with them. To say I’m curious on the softness of these is an under statement 

IMG_2712.png.68a3619ddbae8381fc67e26e80435c47.png

1 hour ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

I did just come across these on Instagram. If these were an option during testing I for sure would have gone with them. To say I’m curious on the softness of these is an under statement 

I saw that post,  and either someone at the lab was enjoying 420 too much and had a genius moment, or they said, hey! Let's give em tacky and cool sticky grips!

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

I saw that post,  and either someone at the lab was enjoying 420 too much and had a genius moment, or they said, hey! Let's give em tacky and cool sticky grips!

My immediate reaction was that someone messed up. I really like them and would get them if they offered them for sale

Some particularly outstanding final reviews !  Hats off to Leaky Valve and Breakfast Ball 15 for all of the interaction throughout these pages and really, really fantastic final reviews that summarize all of it very well.

A few points that I would echo from their findings:

1.  Different colors feel different !!!  In my case, the red feels a good deal softer than the white.

2.  Although installation and removal is easy, be sure to have them on all the way.  I'd never done grips before, so it took me some trial and error to get "good at it" if you will, and you'll find some good tips among these pages.  For me, I found I left several not quite on all the way, and found that the tip to "stretch them out all the way" when installing resolved the floppy end, firmed them up a bit, and lo and behold, they were the same size as other grips.

3.  For better or worse, they do get dirty quickly, but clean up easily with a quick wipe down with water, and seem to  feel tackier.

:srixon-small:      ZX7 Driver 9.5 Stiff flex Smoke Black shaft

:taylormade-small:   3HL 17 Rocketballz Matrix Ozik Stiff

:wilson_staff_small: C300 Hybrids 20. 23 Fujikura Speeder Stiff

:taylormade-small:   Stealth 5- GW Ventus Red 6-R

(Sorry, no Edison logo as of yet)   Edison 49 and 55 degree wedges                                                               :cleveland-small: RTX 4 56/8  64/6 Raw Wedges

:EVNROLL:  ER5 CS 35 in putter

:ShotScope:  V3 GPS Shot tracker watch

:OnCore:   OnCore Elixr

Final review is up. 
Thanks to all for the good interactions and comments throughout. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 3HL Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym Heavenwood Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 4H Project X Hzrdus Silver
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

On 4/24/2024 at 1:45 PM, LeakyValve said:

For me tapping down doesn’t work as grip is pretty much welded to the shaft, plus if it did I’d be worried about movement during use. Just always made sure to get on all the way with air with a final little push with the gun. 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

On 4/26/2024 at 9:53 PM, Shrek74 said:

Used both, makes no difference as far as I can tell. 

Got out and played this morning. Between it being wet from the night before, some light rain while playing, and being sweaty from the humidity, these grips held their own very well. One pass over with a towel and they were fresh as new

Play yesterday at a links style course. Maybe 15 degree Celsius weather. Gusting winds. Gloveless hand got a little chilly but never experienced any lost of tackiness or girl from the grips themselves. Had 1-2 stingers and they weren’t too bad at all. I was impressed that the grips felt the same in cooler temps as I thought they would lose some of the tack. 

19 hours ago, BreakfastBall15 said:

Love those, but they definitely weren't an option. I want a Green/White swirl grip now!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

46 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Love those, but they definitely weren't an option. I want a Green/White swirl grip now!

Blue and white?  Orange and white they could call it the Dreamsicle!

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

4 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Blue and white?  Orange and white they could call it the Dreamsicle!

Star Grip if you’re listening…

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I’ll 2nd the Green/White - appeals to my Celtic roots. 

Just wanted to add to my fellow testers, @BreakfastBall15, @LeakyValve and @Alf. S thanks for all your similar and contrasting insights and especially your final thoughts. For what is a simple, overlooked piece of kit, but the only component between us and failure or golfing immortality (ok yes I’m blowing this up a bit) I’ve had a blast (of air) with this review.

Also to all my fellow Spies out there many thanks for all your questions and views on this topic  it’s what makes it all worth doing  

The good part this could be the longest running review since given Star Grips 3 year warranty it has to last that long. 

On 3/11/2024 at 7:02 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Testers Announced!

One of the most overlooked items on a golf club is the grip. Yet it is our single connection point to the golf club and shaft. Star Grips is not as well-known as some of the big names but they have a long history and provide grips purpose-built for the air-compressor installation method.

image.png

About Star Grips

If you haven’t heard of Star Grips, this is what they have to say about their brand, history and product: 

“Founded in 2001, Star Grip has been manufacturing golf grips in the USA for over 20 years. Made from our proprietary StarTack EPDM compound, our grips are produced using a seamless injection molding process which results in unmatched quality, performance, and consistency with a weight tolerance of +/-1 gram. They are also unquestionably some of the longest-lasting grips in the industry. As such, we are proud to offer an unprecedented 3-year durability guarantee on every grip we make - whether purchased directly from us or from any of our dealers located around the world. If they become hard, slick, or crack within 3 years, just contact us, and we'll send you a free replacement!”

Star Grips offers four different grips for full-swing clubs: The Sidewinder 350*, which is offered in eight different colors; the Classic Wrap and Tour Star+ 360* in four different colors, and the Smoother Wrap in black. As a bonus, Star Grips also offers a free installation gun when orders exceed $100.

Please welcome and congratulate our testers!

@BreakfastBall15

@LeakyValve

@Alf. S 

@EugeGall

Awesome. Can't wait to read about them! CONGRATS!!!

CREDMAN