Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Pulled the Trigger - Srizon ZX5 irons

Pupini

Great set of irons and you should really like them!  They have been great for me.  I have the 5's and 7's mixed.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

12 hours ago, Pupini said:

I've been in pursuit of a new set of irons for about a year. Since January I've been going to PGASS and hit almost everything they had. I didn't want to be brand biased so I hit just about everything geared towards the 10-12 handicap player. After two months of what I call feel testing, I narrowed it down to three models. Feel testing in my opinion is simply hitting 50 balls to see if I like the setup, feel off the face, sound, etc., very non metric driven. 

Anyway, today I had a proper fitting with the Srixon ZX5 irons, Callaway Apex 21s, Titleist T200s. The ZX5s started to emerge as my favorite pretty quickly. We started with the stock, KBS Tour Lite Stiff shaft. Then we moved to the Project X in stiff and the dispersion was still a little off, so we moved to the TT Dynamic Gold TourX and the fitter nailed it. The dispersion became a lot tighter and it felt like the shaft was really moving through the ball at impact. I've always liked ProjectX but it just wasn't working for me. 

I should get the set in about two weeks with my specs - 2* flat, 1/2' short. Can't wait for these to arrive.

A more in-depth review will come, once I can start hitting on grass. I tend to take a pretty big divot and I've heard that these clubs are good for diggers like me. 

a MGS staff favorite! you will be very pleased.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I've been thinking about a new set of irons.  Last month we had the Srixon rep here (most golf companies don't make it all the way down US1 to visit).  When I arrived at the course the rep looked lonely, so I went over to give the irons a try.  We started with the ZX5's but migrated to the ZX4's.  I was really impressed with the way they felt and how well I hit them (as much as I could tell hitting them into a net).  My course gave me a pretty good deal on the new set and now I'm just trying to scrape up the cash to get them into my bag.

Srixon were a surprise hit for me!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Great set of irons and you should really like them!  They have been great for me.  I have the 5's and 7's mixed.  

I thought about mixing the 5s and 7s but I felt a lost a little too much distance with the 7s and didn't want such a big gap.

ping.png.7c5862342023c35b77c4616604806e90.png - Driver: 425LST w / KBS TD60 X-Stiff

callaway-golf-logo-4603BD0EB6-seeklogo_com.png.95cd038f8e27b84c978a567dbe7027d3.png- 3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_19_26PM.png.0e838ce6cbc9de2df6485dcfda986883.png - Mkii ZX5 irons - 5-pw True Temper Dynamic Golf Tour Issue

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.png - Hybrid - 939X: with Proforce V2 Stiff

1884238425_Titleistlogo.png.90c97c2fbcb19171e8ef7dc60bee0fc4.png - SM7 50* & 56*

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_26_28PM.png.6ca0d107c42a18066bd1852fc547613b.png - ER10 Mallet

vicegolf_logo.png.26dae2f1802c046450d6ce62d44baf39.png - Pro Plus

8 minutes ago, Pupini said:

I thought about mixing the 5s and 7s but I felt a lost a little too much distance with the 7s and didn't want such a big gap.

I've tried all 3 and if I was to buy them I'd go:

4-5 : ZX4
6-7 : ZX5
8-P : ZX7

all three versions were just a joy to hit.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

On 3/25/2024 at 2:02 AM, Pupini said:

I've been in pursuit of a new set of irons for about a year. Since January I've been going to PGASS and hit almost everything they had. I didn't want to be brand biased so I hit just about everything geared towards the 10-12 handicap player. After two months of what I call feel testing, I narrowed it down to three models. Feel testing in my opinion is simply hitting 50 balls to see if I like the setup, feel off the face, sound, etc., very non metric driven. 

Anyway, today I had a proper fitting with the Srixon ZX5 irons, Callaway Apex 21s, Titleist T200s. The ZX5s started to emerge as my favorite pretty quickly. We started with the stock, KBS Tour Lite Stiff shaft. Then we moved to the Project X in stiff and the dispersion was still a little off, so we moved to the TT Dynamic Gold TourX and the fitter nailed it. The dispersion became a lot tighter and it felt like the shaft was really moving through the ball at impact. I've always liked ProjectX but it just wasn't working for me. 

I should get the set in about two weeks with my specs - 2* flat, 1/2' short. Can't wait for these to arrive.

A more in-depth review will come, once I can start hitting on grass. I tend to take a pretty big divot and I've heard that these clubs are good for diggers like me. 

Congrats on the new sticks! 

Looking forward to hearing what you think of them and seeing how they perform!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Congratulations on the new irons! I bought a set of 785's used when I first started playing 2 years ago. It was definitely a mistake as I should have went with the 585's but really didn't know any better at the time. I do know for sure when you hit one pure they are like butter. 

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

I bought a set of the 5’s in July and am currently gaming them. They look and feel great and I’m hitting lots of good shots with them. My one complaint is the gap between the pitching wedge and gap wedge. It’s 6 degrees - I’ve tried several remedies with very mixed results. I need to just go get the thing bent stronger. Honestly I’ve been so bad with wedge lately I’ve been reluctant to do anything until straightening that out though.

On an interesting note a several of Srixon players play blended sets that include a ZX 5 4 iron. Also Paul Malanati made a similar move with a different brand of irons in his set at 5 and 4 iron - he credited that move because it allowed him to hit the iron on 17 that won. 

Enjoy the irons, looking forward to your review. Great way to find your new gamers. A plus on the discipline of taking so long to find them. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 3/24/2024 at 9:02 PM, Pupini said:

Good choice with the Srixon's.  I've been gaming the previous version ZX5's for 2 years now and really like the feel and performance.  Let us know what you think of the new MKII version once you've played a few rounds.  Enjoy!!

My weapons of choice:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 Max 10.5

5 Wood: :ping-small: G430 Max

7Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 SpeedBack

Hybrid: :PXG: 0211, 19-degree

Irons 1: :srixon-small: ZX5, 5-GW

Irons 2: :PXG: 0211 XCOR2, 5-GW

Wedges: :vokey-small:  SM9, 52 F8 & 56 S10

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider FCG #3 Mallet

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” - Sam Snead

On 3/24/2024 at 6:02 PM, Pupini said:

what a great post, I feel like this model should be followed for all golfers to decide on a big purchase like a new set of irons. My takeaway is, take your time, "do the feel test" which you described very nicely, narrow it down and then purchase. 

It sounds like PGASS was a great place to go and patient that it took "longer" than a normal "grab and buy". 

Thanks for sharing this. And yes, keep us updated on how it goes once you get them in play, just as a point, it took me about 6 weeks to really get the "feel" of the KBS stiff light shafts I put in my Takomo's but I am really happy now that I stuck with them. 

committed to performance excellence

While you are waiting for yours I had my on the range today. I was thinking of this thread. What I especially noticed today was the turf interaction, how I get nice shallow divots through the bag with these irons. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

8 hours ago, revkev said:

While you are waiting for yours I had my on the range today. I was thinking of this thread. What I especially noticed today was the turf interaction, how I get nice shallow divots through the bag with these irons. 

The v sole on them is amazing. They have quickly become one of my favorite sets I have owned. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

The v sole on them is amazing. They have quickly become one of my favorite sets I have owned. 

It is interesting because I game SCOR wedges - I love that v-sole - the Srixons remind me of those wedges. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Congrats!  New clubs are always exciting!  🔥 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

All this talk and the Vsole with the turf interaction I'm going to have to throw the 785's in the bag for a round. I know my ball striking is much better than it was before getting a more forgiving set of irons. I might be surprised. 

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

Great choice. I put them in the bag last spring and they did not disappoint. 

I have had 2 coworkers, including a self described Mizuno snob, recently switch over to the Srixon Zx5 MkII. They are stupid good. As many have said, a MGS favorite. Enjoy!

:ping-small:G430 Max 10k 9°

:cleveland-small:3+ Hy-wood 17°

:cleveland-small:4+ Hy-wood 20°

:ping-small:4 Hybrid 22°

:srixon-small:Zx5 mkII 5i-P

:cleveland-small:CBX 48°, CBX FF 53° & 58°

:cleveland-small:Frontline Elevado 

:srixon-small:Z-Star

@Pupini, I hope your new irons will be delivered soon.  There's always a lot of anticipation when you get a new clubs and you can't wait to hit them for the first time.

As mentioned above, I'm considering the ZX 4 MKII's after a Srixon rep was at our course.  I only tried one senior graphite shaft, the Helium F2.  I know they also have the UST Recoil and KBS Max 55 gram senior shafts.  I'm heading up to South Florida for some FSGA course rating remedial training and volunteer appreciation celebration, so I'm planning to hit Golf Galaxy for a fitting to find which of the three will work the best for me.  

If all goes right, I should be placing an order on my set when I get back.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Well guys, all this talk and I just ended up scoring a set of Zx5's myself. They are the original version bit I'm extremely excited to try these out for myself. I kinda wish I would have went strait after the Srixon's last year instead of getting the Mizuno's but maybe the Mizuno's will be better? I will post back after getting a few rounds in and let you all know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2024 at 9:02 PM, Pupini said:

Ok. So I've played 3 rounds with the new irons and had 2 or 3 sessions at the range. Here is my assessment.

WOW. I haven't hit irons this well since my set of Titleist 990 irons a long time ago. 

What I will say is this, it is crucial to find the proper shaft / iron head combo. I finally feel like the entire club is working in unison. My distances are about the same with my previous irons (Sub70), but the control is much better, and I attribute a lot of that to the shaft. The ball flight is penetrating and predictable. On Sat I played some pretty hard greens and I was able to stop the ball easily, while my playing partners were taking a big hop way past the flag. 

The feel of the clubs are excellent. One thing I noticed right away was the distance predictability on off-center hits. A few times, I've hit towards the toe and the loss of distance was minimal. Dead center hits feel pure, as they should, but the overall consistency is great. I have as much confidence with my 5 iron as I do with the 8 knowing that even something off center will get it to the green. I kinda wish I bought the 4 iron.

The biggest surprise is the Tour V.T. Sole. As I stated in my original post, I am a greenskeeper's worst nightmare taking massive divots. The VT sole really helps move the head through the ball and not into the dirt. Granted the fairways have been a little firm so perhaps the ground is pushing the club through, but so far, I'v noticed a change.

Overall, I would rate these irons a 90 out 100. I will revisit this rating in August once I've had a full season with them and the "new club" grave period is over.

For anyone looking for new irons, I would say don't rush it and don't have brand bias. Hit as many different brands and models as you can, and choose the one that is right for you. To be honest Srixon were not at the top of the list prior to this process. My playing partner on Sat just bought a new set of Pings, and is a little upset his local club don't carry Srixon after taking a few swings with mine. 

Until a brand pays me play their clubs, I will keep an open mind towards everything as long as it works.

ping.png.7c5862342023c35b77c4616604806e90.png - Driver: 425LST w / KBS TD60 X-Stiff

callaway-golf-logo-4603BD0EB6-seeklogo_com.png.95cd038f8e27b84c978a567dbe7027d3.png- 3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_19_26PM.png.0e838ce6cbc9de2df6485dcfda986883.png - Mkii ZX5 irons - 5-pw True Temper Dynamic Golf Tour Issue

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.png - Hybrid - 939X: with Proforce V2 Stiff

1884238425_Titleistlogo.png.90c97c2fbcb19171e8ef7dc60bee0fc4.png - SM7 50* & 56*

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_26_28PM.png.6ca0d107c42a18066bd1852fc547613b.png - ER10 Mallet

vicegolf_logo.png.26dae2f1802c046450d6ce62d44baf39.png - Pro Plus

8 hours ago, Pupini said:

Ok. So I've played 3 rounds with the new irons and had 2 or 3 sessions at the range. Here is my assessment.

WOW. I haven't hit irons this well since my set of Titleist 990 irons a long time ago. 

What I will say is this, it is crucial to find the proper shaft / iron head combo. I finally feel like the entire club is working in unison. My distances are about the same with my previous irons (Sub70), but the control is much better, and I attribute a lot of that to the shaft. The ball flight is penetrating and predictable. On Sat I played some pretty hard greens and I was able to stop the ball easily, while my playing partners were taking a big hop way past the flag. 

The feel of the clubs are excellent. One thing I noticed right away was the distance predictability on off-center hits. A few times, I've hit towards the toe and the loss of distance was minimal. Dead center hits feel pure, as they should, but the overall consistency is great. I have as much confidence with my 5 iron as I do with the 8 knowing that even something off center will get it to the green. I kinda wish I bought the 4 iron.

The biggest surprise is the Tour V.T. Sole. As I stated in my original post, I am a greenskeeper's worst nightmare taking massive divots. The VT sole really helps move the head through the ball and not into the dirt. Granted the fairways have been a little firm so perhaps the ground is pushing the club through, but so far, I'v noticed a change.

Overall, I would rate these irons a 90 out 100. I will revisit this rating in August once I've had a full season with them and the "new club" grave period is over.

For anyone looking for new irons, I would say don't rush it and don't have brand bias. Hit as many different brands and models as you can, and choose the one that is right for you. To be honest Srixon were not at the top of the list prior to this process. My playing partner on Sat just bought a new set of Pings, and is a little upset his local club don't carry Srixon after taking a few swings with mine. 

Until a brand pays me play their clubs, I will keep an open mind towards everything as long as it works.

Glad to hear you are liking the Srixon's.  They have been getting lots of accolades as far back as the Z series.  I knew little about them when I had my last iron fitting in 2019 (primarily to move to composite shafts).  When I hit them, they jumped to the top spot and no other could get past.

While I keep going to our demo days and hitting contenders (pretty much everything this past spring), none have moved me to switch the line-up... not even the MKII's.  When I tested those, I hit the ZX5 and ZX7 and really saw no difference.  The fitter was straight up honest and said "much as I'd love to sell you a set of MKII's, I would not change a thing".  

I just set my new all time low index and won our men's league championship a few weeks ago... dancing with who brung me 😊.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)